• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Hesh

If you're in the USA does it have local channels? Like can I watch NFL games if they're on FoX?

It depends on your region. In my region Vue hasn't struck a deal with my local Fox and ABC but has with my local CBS and NBC and so I get like a $5 or $10 discount on my subscription and the ABC and Fox channels are placeholders on the guide for ABC and Fox on demand to watch their associated shows. Not really sure what the hold up is with the local networks since I get Disney-affiliated channels just fine (ABC is owned by Disney) and Fox-affiliated channels just fine as well. Oh well, I guess there's some sort of stubbornness with the local networks here.

Anyways, if you check your local region on the Vue website by putting in your zip code it will let you know what channels your packages will have, including the local channels and the regional sports channels through Fox and Comcast.

I like vue, but damn, I hate live tv. Never shit on and most filled with commercials. That Sony and Epix movie channel are alright though. I think I'm done once the trial for the higher tier ends.

Very particular situation but...

Has anyone here:

1. Started Vue subscription on their PS4 console
2. Sold their PS4 console
3. Purchased a Fire, Roku, or AppleTV
4. Used Vue on one of those devices without any issues re: channel blackouts or authentication issues ?

Wanting to sell my PS4 because I never use the damn thing, but recently, I found that if I use Vue on my browser or through my Chromecast, channels and episodes are blacked out/unavailable, but work perfectly on my PS4.

Has anyone here:

4. Used Vue on one of those devices without any issues re: channel blackouts or authentication issues ?

Wanting to sell my PS4 because I never use the damn thing, but recently, I found that if I use Vue on my browser or through my Chromecast, channels and episodes are blacked out/unavailable, but work perfectly on my PS4.

PS4 is still the best device for Vue, TBH. I know selling consoles is a thing (don't understand it for a lot of reasons but okay) but when newer models are out, unless you can get some good cash for it, why bother selling it for not a lot more than a well-specced device for Vue when it will always be the best device for it anyway?

Roku is slow as hell for Vue
FireTV (current gen) is better, but missing features and also kind of slow, plus last time I used it had some audio desyncing issues
AppleTV support is about like FireTV
PS3 is eh, but works

You have the Ps4 already, I would just stick to that unless you have a real, honest hankering to get rid of the thing and are okay with barely any return on investment.

PS4 is still the best device for Vue, TBH. I know selling consoles is a thing (don't understand it for a lot of reasons but okay) but when newer models are out, unless you can get some good cash for it, why bother selling it for not a lot more than a well-specced device for Vue when it will always be the best device for it anyway?

Roku is slow as hell for Vue
FireTV (current gen) is better, but missing features and also kind of slow, plus last time I used it had some audio desyncing issues
AppleTV support is about like FireTV
PS3 is eh, but works

You have the Ps4 already, I would just stick to that unless you have a real, honest hankering to get rid of the thing and are okay with barely any return on investment.

I bought it for $230 over a year ago and am selling it to Gamestop for $175.

I feel OK about getting rid of it.

I primarily game on PC and my 3DS now.

Has anyone here:

I have Vue and use it on a PS4, laptop and Nexus Player. The Nexus Player works just fine. The interface suffers a bit because the remote has less buttons, but someone coming from an Iphone or Ipad might not mind as much as an Android tablet or phone.

-griffy-

Banned

Has anyone here:

Your Vue is tied to a "home location" of your location/IP address from the device you first created the account, so everything should work as long as you are on the network you started with. If I'm connected to my home wifi I can access everything on my iPad, but if I'm somewhere else most things are blocked. This is the one major downside to the service, and if you move you can only change your "home location" once according to their FAQ.

I have Vue and use it on a PS4, laptop and Nexus Player. The Nexus Player works just fine. The interface suffers a bit because the remote has less buttons, but someone coming from an Iphone or Ipad might not mind as much as an Android tablet or phone.

No missing episodes or channel blackouts ?

Your Vue is tied to a "home location" of your location/IP address from the device you first created the account, so everything should work as long as you are on the network you started with. If I'm connected to my home wifi I can access everything on my iPad, but if I'm somewhere else most things are blocked. This is the one major downside to the service, and if you move you can only change your "home location" once according to their FAQ.

I think it may be more related to Comcast being my ISP than Vue blacking stuff out.

For example, if you have Xfinity/Comcast, you CANNOT use HBO Go (or Now? I forget) because Comcast has disallowed the PS4 from being an allowed device, but if you have an X1, it works fine.

But yes, all of my devices are on the same home network.

I suppose if I ever move...I would just cancel and resub...they can't just deny service to people for moving lol.

-griffy-

Banned
No missing episodes or channel blackouts ?

I think it may be more related to Comcast being my ISP than Vue blacking stuff out.

For example, if you have Xfinity/Comcast, you CANNOT use HBO Go (or Now? I forget) because Comcast has disallowed the PS4 from being an allowed device, but if you have an X1, it works fine.

But yes, all of my devices are on the same home network.

I suppose if I ever move...I would just cancel and resub...they can't just deny service to people for moving lol.

That HBO thing should only be if you subscribe to HBO through your Comcast cable package and are trying to access HBO Go with your Comcast login on Playstation systems, it doesn't have anything to do with the ISP (and apparently that changed as of today). If you subscribe to HBO independently of Comcast and are logging in via a Comcast internet connection it shouldn't be blocked. I don't believe Vue should be blocking anything based on your ISP, unless it's related to your IP address changing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So I'm not sure how it works exactly but I was able to use VUE at my parents house even though they're in another state entirely from where I live and have m subscription located. There was even a little pop up when starting it up saying that I wasn't on my home network but there was no issues streaming all the normal channels. I admit I didn't check out live TV but I'm curious exactly how this works.

I assume if I had a device at my normal home address running VUE while I tried to log on at my parents that it would not have let me use it but I haven't had to a chance to test it out.

Besides the DVR not recording the ends of sporting events due to inaccurate lengths, I have only encountered one problem with Vue. I record Shooter on USA Network, but when I attempt to watch it later on, it automatically starts each new episode at the 14 minute mark, so I miss the first 14 minutes. Doesn't matter if I remove it from My Shows and add it again. Each new episode does this every week and there doesn't seem to be On Demand for this show. Can someone add Shooter to their My Shows to see if it's doing the same thing for them?

U2NUMB

Fuck you PS Vue.... Last week of NFL and I suddenly get the sorry we can't stream this program on the I ternet on my local fox channel through my Roku. It's how I've watched games all year....

This service pisses me off so often. I want to stick with it but shit like this makes me boil.

Redd

Fuck you PS Vue.... Last week of NFL and I suddenly get the sorry we can't stream this program on the I ternet on my local fox channel through my Roku. It's how I've watched games all year....

This service pisses me off so often. I want to stick with it but shit like this makes me boil.

Just use the fox sports app on your roku. Use Vue as cable provider.

jorgejjvr

I was using VUE and I loved it, that being said, I am in Miami and the smallest package is for $40. Also, HBO is for $15 more.

I paid 3 months of Direct TV Now and I got a free Apple TV 4th gen (worth it for that alone), I pay only $35, and adding HBO is only $5 (yes, not 15). This promotional package also has 100 + channels.

Hence, for the same price - more channels, more content (it has some great free shows and movies, and Ondemand), and HBO.

The live Streaming of Live TV is the best quality I've seen, in comparison to VUE and Sling.

The only thing missing is DVR, but that is hopefully supposed to come this year. That, and they have to fix some problems with it erroring out from time to time.

Anyways, just a thought for those that might have been in my situation too ($40 + $15 HBO). I would advise to try the 1 week free trial :)

As of now though, I believe it beats VUE with the live streaming quality, and the amount of channels, free shows and movies, and the $5 for HBO is a killer deal. Fixing some small issues and adding DVR hopefully this year, will (in theory) blow everything out of the water.

The service also pretty much paid itself for the apple tv - 3 months was around $115 (or so), apple tv is $150. Worst case scenario if someone drops it after the first 3 months, then you can just say you got a discounted Apple TV

Ps: for things like HBO Go and ABC app for example, you can download the individual apps and select it as a provider, and there you go, got HBO go on its own app working.

PS2: things like comedy Central is there

Reminder everyone - Today is the last day to sign up the for Ultra Plan and lock a price of $64.99 until 2018.

The Ultra plan includes all standard channels, as well as HBO & Showtime.

I was using VUE and I loved it, that being said, I am in Miami and the smallest package is for $40. Also, HBO is for $15 more.

I paid 3 months of Direct TV Now and I got a free Apple TV 4th gen (worth it for that alone), I pay only $35, and adding HBO is only $5 (yes, not 15). This promotional package also has 100 + channels.

Hence, for the same price - more channels, more content (it has some great free shows and movies, and Ondemand), and HBO.

The live Streaming of Live TV is the best quality I've seen, in comparison to VUE and Sling.

The only thing missing is DVR, but that is hopefully supposed to come this year. That, and they have to fix some problems with it erroring out from time to time.

Anyways, just a thought for those that might have been in my situation too ($40 + $15 HBO). I would advise to try the 1 week free trial :)

As of now though, I believe it beats VUE with the live streaming quality, and the amount of channels, free shows and movies, and the $5 for HBO is a killer deal. Fixing some small issues and adding DVR hopefully this year, will (in theory) blow everything out of the water.

The service also pretty much paid itself for the apple tv - 3 months was around $115 (or so), apple tv is $150. Worst case scenario if someone drops it after the first 3 months, then you can just say you got a discounted Apple TV

Ps: for things like HBO Go and ABC app for example, you can download the individual apps and select it as a provider, and there you go, got HBO go on its own app working.

I dunno but quality for me is way worse than Vue. Also it's extremely rare for me to watch TV for more than 2 hours without it erroring or having the video stop or stutter. I currently subscribe to both Vue and DTVNow because I bought a subscription for my parents and to get them the Apple TV 4.

Another thing I'd point out is that the DTVNow UI is pathetic. It's got a lot of catching up to do.

The super great thing though is that I've now got Cinemax and HBO for only $5 a month so I was able to cancel the $15 HBO sub I had through Vue. The $44.99 Vue plan plus my HBO and Cinemax through DTV has been a great deal! What I'm afraid of is in DTV's terms the $35/mo can end at any time and the $5/mo for the add ons can end at any time as well.

No dvr is a big pass. Hoping they'll add it this year doesn't mean they will. This is basic functionality that it shouldn't have released without.

Miyahon

Vue service for me actually works unlike Directv Now which has errors and problems with streaming. Errors include telling me I've hit my stream limit when I'm only using 1 device to stream and another telling me the channel is not part of my package. Just today I was viewing Comedy Central and every few minutes the stream would stop.

The only way to fix it is to change the channel and come back to it but then it happens again a few minutes later. Some channels will not load at all either and the Guide on the Apple TV will also be extremely slow to use which makes me think there is a problem with it loading.

I understand it's a new service but if I paid for it as my only service provider I would be unhappy since it has limited On Demand and the 72 hour rewind doesn't apply to a lot of the content on their service. Compared to Vue there is a limited amount of services where you can use the Directv Now login too. So if what you're watching has issues during the live stream then you're left with very few options to view it later because of the service issues.

MisterR

Vue service for me actually works unlike Directv Now which has errors and problems with streaming. Errors include telling me I've hit my stream limit when I'm only using 1 device to stream and another telling me the channel is not part of my package. Just today I was viewing Comedy Central and every few minutes the stream would stop.

The only way to fix it is to change the channel and come back to it but then it happens again a few minutes later. Some channels will not load at all either and the Guide on the Apple TV will also be extremely slow to use which makes me think there is a problem with it loading.

I understand it's a new service but if I paid for it as my only service provider I would be unhappy since it has limited On Demand and the 72 hour rewind doesn't apply to a lot of the content on their service. Compared to Vue there is a limited amount of services where you can use the Directv Now login too. So if what you're watching has issues during the live stream then you're left with very few options to view it later because of the service issues.

Vue is much better in my opinion. Not impressed with DIRECTV now

Yup this happens to me all the time and with any channel. I haven't had a channel on Vue stutter once in at least a month.

Something Vue needs NEEDS to address though is when I'm using DVR and the last like 2 minutes are cut off for no reason. This is super annoying and pisses off my wife! Unhappy wife, unhappy life! Come on Sony!

pacman85

I hope they make a deal with Viacom soon. Now that my twins are here I'm staying up late and I'd love to be able to watch The Splat.
Agreed, they really need to get those channels along with the A&E family of channels (A&E, History, Viceland and Lifetime) on their service. These are pretty basic cable channels that are currently available on pretty much every other cable/satellite/OTT streaming service.
The super great thing though is that I've now got Cinemax and HBO for only $5 a month so I was able to cancel the $15 HBO sub I had through Vue. The $44.99 Vue plan plus my HBO and Cinemax through DTV has been a great deal! What I'm afraid of is in DTV's terms the $35/mo can end at any time and the $5/mo for the add ons can end at any time as well.
According to this article, that $35 introductory offer will actually end a few days from now on January 9th and that package will shoot up to $60/month for any NEW subscribers. And that package does NOT include HBO, Cinemax or Showtime. As far as I know, the $5/month add-on cost for HBO or Cinemax on DirecTVNow will continue indefinitely.

I was really torn between Vue and Sling and just recently ended up going with Sling. I got a free Roku Premiere so it was worth the experiment. I am happy with Sling so far, but I wish the quality was better. It looks 720p, but I think it's supposed to be 1080p. Whatever it is, it's not as nice as my previous cable feed from Time Warner Cable.

But the price and flexibility is better. That's all I truly need.

I ended up going for Sling over Vue because, for roughly the same price, I got to add more channels that Vue didn't offer at all. That's what it's always going to come down to for most people: even if it costs more, can I or can I not get the channel I want?

DarkestHour

Banned

Has anyone here:

Having the same issue with my Roku. It's really annoying and I'm probably going to cancel the service. I rarely use it now since they got rid of Nick Jr. and Spike.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yup this happens to me all the time and with any channel. I haven't had a channel on Vue stutter once in at least a month.

Something Vue needs NEEDS to address though is when I'm using DVR and the last like 2 minutes are cut off for no reason. This is super annoying and pisses off my wife! Unhappy wife, unhappy life! Come on Sony!

Theres still so far to go until people can cut the cord from traditional cable packages it seems.

pacman85

Heck yeah, that would piss me off too! Imagine watching an intense season finale episode of your favorite show that's leading up to some big moment at the end and it just cuts off 2 minutes before it's over and you miss it. Or a big sporting event where the score is really close and it's coming down to the wire and then the DVR just cuts off before you can see the end. This is unacceptable in my eyes and one of the main reasons Vue still won't get my money until they fix that.

Briarios

This hasn't happened to me yet, is it happening on specific channels? Does it happen on the in demand shows or just DVR? Still new to Vue, and liking it so far, but I'd like to be aware of the limitations before I have an unhappy wife lol

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
People should just start letting Sony know what changes or additions they would like. They've been pretty good about doing updates through out the year and have added a decent amount of functionality to it since it began.

Officially canceled and it feels good. The service on paper is a good idea....but the weird blocking of channels / episodes on certain devices versus others, and random issues with Vue on browser and Chromecast made it not worth it any longer. I was watching Vue last night on browser, browser crashed, no problem. Boot it back up, select same episode...would perpetually load.

I had to use my phone and Chromecast the rest of it. Minor annoyances like that I understand are part of the growing pains, but.....I'll let it grow up some more before potentially jumping back on.

Here's hoping Hulu's live offering that is coming soon can fill the gap.

Officially canceled and it feels good. The service on paper is a good idea....but the weird blocking of channels / episodes on certain devices versus others, and random issues with Vue on browser and Chromecast made it not worth it any longer. I was watching Vue last night on browser, browser crashed, no problem. Boot it back up, select same episode...would perpetually load.

I had to use my phone and Chromecast the rest of it. Minor annoyances like that I understand are part of the growing pains, but.....I'll let it grow up some more before potentially jumping back on.

Here's hoping Hulu's live offering that is coming soon can fill the gap.

As someone who has exclusively used Vue on a PS4 it's interesting to hear how it works on other platforms. It's fantastic on a PS4. Obviously the weird blocking of channels / episodes on certain devices versus others is still present but it otherwise works great on a PS4.

I tried Sling very early on when it offered far fewer channels than Vue but I've been hearing things recently that make it sound likely it very suddenly blew past PS Vue in terms of quality and value proposition.

This hasn't happened to me yet, is it happening on specific channels? Does it happen on the in demand shows or just DVR? Still new to Vue, and liking it so far, but I'd like to be aware of the limitations before I have an unhappy wife lol

Yeah happens on HGTV and CBS all the time. My wife likes to see the little previews for the CBS shows and can never do so unless she watches live.

HGTV shows will just end abruptly while the narrator is still going haha.

The fucking golden globes being blacked out is fucking stupid. Anyone with a damn piece of metal hooked into their auxillary outlet can watch this shit. Come on Sony!

Now the Globes are blacked out. Fuck this I'm done

Goddammit. I got Sling a month ago because they were offering a free Roku (was supposed to be the cheap one but they sent me a Premiere), and I was thinking of ditching it for PSVue literally just so that I could my locals live (mainly because I missed the Globes this year). BTW, I know Roku isn't the best for Vue, but I have 2 PS4s in the house as well.

pacman85

Looking at more details of Hulu's live TV service, it looks like it's going to have similar limitations to DTVNow. Only 2 simultaneous streams for the base $40 package but you can pay for more streams, and a "small" amount of space of cloud DVR storage. Small was the term some executive for Hulu when asked how much storage each person will get. I'm sure like the streams you can pay more money for more streams. It seems like Sony has the best implementation for DVR with a single copy of every program stored in the cloud for 28 days so that there are no stoarge limitations. Also, their 5 streams still blow every other competitor out of the water. Now if they can just figure out their other issues, get the Viacom channels back, add the A&E family of networks and get Starz, I would consider dropping cable for it.

I used and loved PS VUE for months. I was paying the $40 plan. The UI was good enough, DVR function worked well...but when Viacom channels were dropped (not blaming Sony), I had to drop it. I was sad :(

I took the AppleTV deal with DirectvNow and so far it has not been a good experience at all. Watching a live channel where is every few minutes it has to buffer, makes this unusable. The OnDemand works...sometimes. I have to reset the app for it to work. The channels are slow to load. That's not a big deal but the buffering and just overall buggyness not to mention the beta feel to it has me really upset.

The picture quality is certainly better than PS VUE. But that becomes irrelevant when you can't really watch a show without interruption. I really hope this is taken care of because the $35 for $60 package deal is great but what's the point if it's unwatchable. How long do I have to wait for it to be fixed? Regardless, I'm locked in for 3 months.

Top Bottom