• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

fvng

Vue is fucking awesome. Everyday my roommate and I miss it. Only reason we are not on it anymore is because when cancelling cable TV they gave us a decent cable tv channel package for free. It was hard to beat a counter offer of free.

So we are getting free tv but it does not really compare to Vue and it's hard to overstate just how slick Vue's interface is

I really loved Vue, though I recently stopped using it simply for cost-cutting purposes. The product was great, DVR was great, but I had it specifically for football season, and my finances a few months ago were to the point where I had to make some cuts to things I liked. Vue wasn't even that expensive (I had the mid-tier package), but a cut is a cut.

Still, if finances aren't a huge issue, totally get it. Not very expensive in general and a great service.

commonman27

Neo Member
Love vue as well. Have had it for several months and really enjoy the price, channels included, dvr, and ability to login to the channels' apps if needed.

ianpm31

Definitely enjoying the vue service and very satisfied. Been a subscriber for 3 months and it's worth every penny. The dvr came in handy when I needed to record some of the ufc fights this past weekend

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This is ridiculous we are starting to adopt 4k tvs and these companies aren't even broadcasting in 1080p!? WTF

Its not like you're getting real deal 4K quality through Netflix either.

Edit: Also Vue on the PS4 is especially great. That 3 different channels at once multi screen thing is great for watching sports along side something else.

gblues

Banned
I have a code for 3 months of Showtime that I got from renewing PS+. Anyone want it? Code expires 4/30/2017. PM if you're interested.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This service includes DVR? How does that work?

I wanna cut the cord as I'm paying like $120 a month for cable and internet and I don't watch much TV, but I do use old school dvr as a way of reminding me what I want to watch haha

HStallion

I wanna cut the cord as I'm paying like $120 a month for cable and internet and I don't watch much TV, but I do use old school dvr as a way of reminding me what I want to watch haha

It records entire shows instead of individual episodes and is entirely cloud based. It also only records for a month before you lose them.

muteki

You basically tag or favorite a show and Vue will record any and all airings of that show, and keep them for 30 days. There is a local DVR aspect that records a buffer of live TV to allow pausing, reversing, and fast forward (this too may be cloud based on devices other than PS4, not sure).

It works relatively well but there are no options for recording extra time before/after. You are kinda at the mercy of the schedule in the guide. For shows I know often go over I just set the following show to record too.

Its a little hokey and could be better, but its cheap for what you get.

There is a local DVR aspect that records a buffer of live TV to allow pausing, reversing, and fast forward (this too may be cloud based on devices other than PS4, not sure).

This doesn't always work and you're at the mercy of if the show will allow you to do that. It's not universal.

Yeah, thanks to that stupid Sandwhale shit the DVR cuts off the last minute or so of Dragon Ball Z Kai now.

Welcome to the limitations of PS Vue's shitty DVR.

HStallion

This doesn't always work and you're at the mercy of if the show will allow you to do that. It's not universal.

Welcome to the limitations of PS Vue's shitty DVR.

Honestly aside from that I have little to complain about with Vues DVR. I basically have a complete Simpsons catalogue with that show on the DVR list thanks to FXX lol

I've been a subscriber since July 2016, I've rarely had issue with it.

I've been one for even longer and compared to Tivo and DirecTV, the DVR is way worse.

Honestly aside from that I have little to complain about with Vues DVR. I basically have a complete Simpsons catalogue with that show on the DVR list thanks to FXX lol

I think there are much better DVRs on the market, and in most areas the Vue is worse. That doesn't mean it doesn't have a few merits though and one of them is what you mentioned. It excels for shows in syndication and shown frequently as it builds up a huge selection that isn't bound by storage limitations, only by how long ago it aired. As long as it's frequently aired, it'll be a large selection.

pacman85

Yeah, the DVR is the main thing that is holding me back from subscribing to Vue. I usually can't watch sporting events the second they start on any given night but I like to start them in the middle of the game that same night (if you wait until the next day you will get spoiled on the score) and then fast forward through commercials. It is my understanding that you can't do that with Vue. Also, when sporting events go long it's a pain to ALWAYS have to remember to record the program after it so you don't miss the end. Sometimes it's the post game show but other times it's something else so you always gotta check. Other than for live sports, however, I imagine it works great for TV shows.

I left when Viacom left.
I no longer go over my Comcast data cap every month now.
Christ, what was your cap, 250GB?
Yep. More money, less channels, less DVR storage, fewer concurrent streams. I guess if Hulu original programming is important to you it might be worth it?
I'm probably paying more than I need to right now since I'm paying for Vue and regular Hulu. I think everything I'd watch on Hulu is also on the Vue On Demand, but I've been too lazy to check.

I'm probably paying more than I need to right now since I'm paying for Vue and regular Hulu. I think everything I'd watch on Hulu is also on the Vue On Demand, but I've been too lazy to check.

I had both for awhile when I first got Vue. It might be different for you depending on what you watch, but I found anything I'd want to watch on Hulu was either on Vue DVR'd or on demand. I was happy to save that $10 a month.

McBryBry

A question for people who switched, what were you guys paying for cable and internet previously to what you pay for Vue/Netflix/Hulu/whatever else and internet?

Trying to figure out what I want to do when I move out. Charter is probably better than AT&T internet wise, but my girlfriend is very adamant about having DirecTV. So I'm trying to find cheaper alternatives.

mindatlarge

Left DirecTV for Vue and have been using Vue for the last 6 months or so. Couldn't be happier with the Elite bundle, saving over $100 a month plus I get all the shows and programming I want to watch.

Christ, what was your cap, 250GB?

I'm not them but the best reasonably priced internet where I live (CableOne) in the US has a 300GB cap. You can get more but it's like a tiny upgrade for exponentially more money.

A question for people who switched, what were you guys paying for cable and internet previously to what you pay for Vue/Netflix/Hulu/whatever else and internet?

Trying to figure out what I want to do when I move out. Charter is probably better than AT&T internet wise, but my girlfriend is very adamant about having DirecTV. So I'm trying to find cheaper alternatives.
I didn't have cable on my own before, just internet. I pay $85 a month for 100mbps/10mbps service.

In order to get that, plus everything that I get from Vue (channels, DVR, HD, multiroom) it would cost me more than $150 a month. Though I'd also get Viacom channels and locals, but it just isn't worth it for the hassle of having to have my house wired for cable and paying for fees for the boxes and having a limited DVR.

Elandyll

Banned
If they had live (instead of on demand) local channels beyond CBS around Baltimore, as well as a little more generous DVR option and The CW, I would have switched yesterday.

Still thinking about it for when my 2 yr contract with DTV is up this August.

Going from $170/ month for basic with just HBO to $65/m for Ultra with HBO and Showtime sounds soooooo appealing...

When they say including HBO and Showtime though, is it 1 channel for each, or all the channels?

MisterR

If they had live (instead of on demand) local channels beyond CBS around Baltimore, as well as a little more generous DVR option and The CW, I would have switched yesterday.

Still thinking about it for when my 2 yr contract with DTV is up this August.

Going from $170/ month for basic with just HBO to $65/m for Ultra with HBO and Showtime sounds soooooo appealing...

When they say including HBO and Showtime though, is it 1 channel for each, or all the channels?

It's East and West for both, but you get HBO Now and Showtimes similar service, so you can watch everything.

McBryBry

Another thing, sports. Living in the STL area, we love the Cardinals and Blues which makes Fox Sports Midwest and NBCSN requirements. I saw something about Vue having regional Fox Sports, what about NBC Sports? Like the NFL too and wanna watch them, but I'm sure thats easily available.

MisterR

I was paying about 170 a month, with Vue I'm down to about 130 a month for internet and vue.

J-Skee

Yep. More money, less channels, less DVR storage, fewer concurrent streams. I guess if Hulu original programming is important to you it might be worth it?

Hulu originals, the EPIX deal & having new episodes the day after they air. Although I guess that wouldn't matter if you already have live TV. Does Hulu still get Viacom shows? That would be nice to have a Vue + regular Hulu combo just for that, I suppose.

jjonez18

I think to get the max 5, you need to have a playstation as one or two of your devices, and three can be other (pc, tablet, phone, amazon box). Unless that has changed recently.

5 people, but they all have to be on the same network right?

I've really enjoyed Vue. Great service for cheaper than you would expect. I've got the $35 sports package and it has been a god send for College Football, NFL, and NBA.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
5 people, but they all have to be on the same network right?

I've really enjoyed Vue. Great service for cheaper than you would expect. I've got the $35 sports package and it has been a god send for College Football, NFL, and NBA.

All have to be setup initially on the home network. When you are away from home network some broadcasts are restricted, it depends.

Vue is awesome. I've noticed quite a lot of cable companies upping their internet fees I'm assuming for online usage. In the past I could haggle with the service provider for a decent price. Now they know they can charge what they want for internet and speeds because that is where the content is going. It's pretty much a double edged sword. "Buy my bundle package or pay this much for one service. "

Top Bottom