• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

Weevilone

The price increase blows for sure. I definitely like it the best, but the short DVR timespan hurts it a lot. I'll drop it eventually if that doesn't increase.

I'm also auditioning DIRECTV Now, but need the DVR, so I'm using PlayOn to grab the shows I want and drop them on my NAS. They are just 720p, but it's worth a try.

muteki

Price hike is some bullshit alright. Guess I have till October to see what the channel lineup looks like or to look elsewhere.

It was priced correctly at $35 for the second tier package. Hopefully people drop it and Sony will blink first. $10 is steep and that on top of the taxes they added in. Not worth the price. You are paying about $50. Can get a better deal from ISP than that.

Apparently the word is that locals are coming to almost every market now so the Slim pricing is obsolete. Why they wouldn't announce that with the price change, I don't know.

pacman85

They need to make the locals optional. Tons of the cord cutters put up the antenna like I did years ago, so no need.
This.

I guess with them saying people that already have Vue don't get the price increase for 3 months means they have 3 months to get some local channels into ALL markets since they are bumping the price up in ALL markets. I feel bad for anyone who is in a market that has no locals yet are having to pay $10 more per month.

psychotron

Anyone use the app on an Apple TV? I tried it on my 2nd gen firestick and it was a bit too laggy. I'm deciding between getting an Apple TV or the Fire TV box.

EulaCapra

Oh Jesus just saw the email. My local area will jump from $30 to $40.

Hmm... Might just drop Vue entirely and ditch live TV altogether. Might go back to the good graces of Netflix and Hulu+ if it doesn't include at least all the major broadcast networks. Price hike explanation is still skimpy on the details.

Weevilone

I mean at the end of the day it's $10 and at least in my case still $75/mo cheaper than my DirecTV was.

Of course there are some issues to deal with, but not that many issues.

If it's just the first of many increases then it'll be different. Time will tell.

Kaladin

Bullshit about the price increase. We don't care about locals. We were enjoying the $29.99 price.

If you still had that, is it still there for you, or does it go away?

MrMephistoX

Direct TV now + HBO for only $5, much better deal.

It really is although I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and fully expect Direct TV to drop that deal and raise the price since they just can't help themselves. For now though it's the best value and app on Apple TV.

Kaladin

“The transition to standard pricing for all markets was always part of our roadmap since we launched PlayStation Vue nationwide and began rolling out local broadcast affiliates in markets with Slim plans," the representative said.

If you signed up for the Slim package before July 6th, you will be able to stay at $30 a month for three more billing cycles before the price raise will kick in for you.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/7/15938490/sony-playstation-vue-streaming-option-price

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Loudninja

Sports Pack Add-on for PlayStation Vue: NFL RedZone & 13 Additional Sports Channels for $10/month
Hey sports fans, we’re getting ready for some football with a new Sports Pack that gives you access to NFL RedZone and 13 more top sports channels. With NFL pre-season just around the corner, this is a great way to get your game on.

For a $10/month add-on to your monthly Core, Elite, or Ultra plan, the new PlayStation Vue Sports Pack includes the following channels available nationwide:

• NFL RedZone (Sept – Dec)
  • MLB Strike Zone (During regular MLB season)
  • ESPN Bases Loaded (During NCAA college baseball championship)
  • ESPN Classic (On Demand)
  • ESPN Goal Line (During regular college football season)
  • Longhorn Network
  • Outside TV
  • NESN National (regional sports network national feed)
  • NBCUniversal regional sports networks (national feeds):
  • CSN Chicago
  • CSN Mid-Atlantic
  • CSN New England
  • CSN Northwest
  • CSN Philadelphia
  • NBC Sports Bay Area
  • NBC Sports CA
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...ne-13-additional-sports-channels-for-10month/

Why is this in Games when it has nothing to do with games really?
It launched as a PS3/PS4-only service, is the main reason. Maybe Fire TV was also at launch, I'm not sure. It's also branded PlayStation which is a games branding.

That said, it probably doesn't really need to be in Gaming anymore now that it's on more devices and stuff.

The sports bundle bothers me.

I paid $5 more for Longhorn Network. Now they are including that channel with the $10 add-on.

Are they going to take away this channel from me, then have me pay $10 more to get it back with a bunch of other channels I don't want?

Weevilone

I paid $5 more for Longhorn Network. Now they are including that channel with the $10 add-on.

Are they going to take away this channel from me, then have me pay $10 more to get it back with a bunch of other channels I don't want?

It seems the a la carte pricing that everyone wanted from streaming is either still going to wind up being bundles of channels you didn't want, or standalone content like AMC that used to be part of Netflix and your cable package but will now cost you $5 monthly (or similar).

Primus

That's my guess. My packages currently get the two regional NBC Sports Bay Area and California networks, but I fully expect them to get stripped out and put into this new Sports tier.

RedBoot

Yeah, curious to see what happens with the Longhorn Network specifically. We've had it in the second package here in Texas since Vue launched, whereas I know other parts of the country didn't have it at all.

It's not a dealbreaker for me (even as a Longhorn fan), but I wouldn't be happy about losing it due to this.

Weird I didn't know u get HBO now also with vue HBO subscription where do I access this do I just phone Sony support?

You can use the HBO now app but you have to create a new HBO account or not if you already have one. You have to use that login info to access it, not your PSN login info.

RedAssedApe

Banned
with Youtube TV gaining popularity, this price increase is a stupid move.

Competition is good. Where are there metrics on this (out of curiosity)?

Cable providers are starting to provide stream only options. For example Spectrum is testing this package in some markets:

19648089_10209826104994238_328705991_o-e1498683045400.png

Hoping this translates to cheaper Internet TV+Internet Bundle.

That's my guess. My packages currently get the two regional NBC Sports Bay Area and California networks, but I fully expect them to get stripped out and put into this new Sports tier.

Yeah, curious to see what happens with the Longhorn Network specifically. We've had it in the second package here in Texas since Vue launched, whereas I know other parts of the country didn't have it at all.

It's not a dealbreaker for me (even as a Longhorn fan), but I wouldn't be happy about losing it due to this.
This just adds the national feeds to the ones you already get. So if you already get your local RSN, you still will get it.

Chitown B

looking into Vue. I guess if the price hiked for me I'd be pissed, but having never had it I don't think $45 for core tier is too bad. Only beef for me is loss of Viacom. Comedy Central and Nick, that's bullshit.

Still, best value and performance of any of the live tv + dvr services I think.

I'm on the cheapest plan but this weekend noticed I have all the sports channels so I looked at my subscription status it says I have free upgrade to Elite til 1/28 !

Chitown B

does anyone know if when you cancel your trial, your "channels" and shows, etc, disappear?

I'm only asking because I've decided to go with Vue, but not until I move in Oct. Would be nice not to have to add all those shows again in Oct.

Chitown B

I still don't get the economics of this, since you're most likely to get internet through your cable company and, at least with Comcast, good internet, unbundled, will run you $70/mo anyway, and you could get the starter triple play for $90.

If you live in a city with good municipal broadband, or in a Google Fiber city, great, but otherwise, you're probably getting a better deal on a bundle from whoever's routing the signal into your house.

a medium package with a starting price may be $99 for year, but then it creeps up to $130 and you can't get a "new customer" deal anymore. Plus on top of that is the local fees, the sports fees, the taxes, the cablecard or extra box/outlet fees.... Knowing you're paying $50-70 for internet, and then you can do whatever you want (this month I want to have Vue, next month Sling, next month try Hulu Live or Youtube TV, or nothing since I'm not going to have time) - that's nice. I can get internet at 100Mb for about $40-50. Which is more than enough to stream tv and download stuff. So, $40 internet + $45 Vue = $90 with tax, or so. And it's completely under my control at all times.

Plus with Vue working outside the home for most channels, that's really TV anywhere - which is what Comcast has.

Weevilone

does anyone know if when you cancel your trial, your "channels" and shows, etc, disappear?

I'm only asking because I've decided to go with Vue, but not until I move in Oct. Would be nice not to have to add all those shows again in Oct.

Yeah it'll be a cold start.

Top Bottom