• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

I wonder what I need to do in order to add the sports package without messing with my subscription. I thought Redzone was included in the elite package, but I guess not.

It'd be nice if I could tack it on without having to resub or mess with my subscription.

RoadDogg

I got a free upgrade the other week but it was onpy for 7 days. It reverted back with no issues and I mever watched the extra channels anyway. I wish they would say something about adding local channels though, that is all I want at this point. OTA only gets me NBC. Viacom would be nice to have back but it hasent been as missed as local abc news.

Gamespawn

does anyone know if when you cancel your trial, your "channels" and shows, etc, disappear?

I'm only asking because I've decided to go with Vue, but not until I move in Oct. Would be nice not to have to add all those shows again in Oct.

I don't think so because i did the trial last year when it first came out and didn't renew. Few months later I subbed again and all my favorites were still there.

Weevilone

Will report back in October....

I tried DirecTV Now last night. For 5 minutes. It was awful. Only thing DTV has over PS Vue is Viacom, IMO. And cheap HBO/SHO subs.

What didn't you like with DirecTV? Obviously they have yet to fully launch their DVR.. but that's coming soon. The cheap HBO/SHO subs you mention are pretty big.

I really dig that I can set PlayOn to permanently record content that I want to watch. It grabs from DirecTV Now and then it's on my NAS for Plex. So far the 30 day limit on PSVue is an issue for me, and the family is constantly confused b/c you can't delete shows you "record".

It's not perfect, but I'm leaning toward DirecTV Now for live TV and the recording for Plex. I'm still using both services for the moment though.

Chitown B

What didn't you like with DirecTV? Obviously they have yet to fully launch their DVR.. but that's coming soon. The cheap HBO/SHO subs you mention are pretty big.

I really dig that I can set PlayOn to permanently record content that I want to watch. It grabs from DirecTV Now and then it's on my NAS for Plex. So far the 30 day limit on PSVue is an issue for me, and the family is constantly confused b/c you can't delete shows you "record".

It's not perfect, but I'm leaning toward DirecTV Now for live TV and the recording for Plex. I'm still using both services for the moment though.

DTV was a slow interface with even slower loading of content, and bad picture quality in comparison to PS Vue which was crystal clear. PS Vue felt like a cable box. DTV felt like a website that happened to have streaming video.

And the DVR thing is very important for my family to "just work"

Odd that the 30 day thing is an issue for your family while simultaneously worrying that you can't "delete" items.

Weevilone

Odd that the 30 day thing is an issue for your family while simultaneously worrying that you can't "delete" items.

The wife and I tend to record stuff and watch it 6 months later, if not more.

The wife and kids are constantly trying to remember which episode they are on, starting the wrong one b/c they immediately click on the 1st episode in the queue, etc. Or they remember where they were by what number they watched in the 'my shows' list. For example, last time they watched, they saw the first episode on screen. Maybe that's episode 5 (with 5-8 available). So next time they should remember that they need to watch 6, but they recall that it'll be the second one that's available to them. Meanwhile the window moves, episode 5 drops out and now when they come back it's 6-9 that can be viewed. They start watching the second one, so they skip Ep6 and go to 7.

I know it's dumb, but it's just a wife and kid friendly thing. Video quality aside, they've just decided to ignore Vue altogether and they go to Plex b/c it's more friendly to them. I literally can't get anyone else to use Vue.. and they won't use DirecTV Now either b/c the DVR isn't there yet. But they indirectly use it via my recordings. Ugh!

This sucks for me b/c I can't record to my NAS from Vue (which I prefer personally), so now I have 2 services. The crazy thing is that I'm still saving money this way.

Weevilone

Wow. Sounds like you don't even need live TV. Hmm

The other stuff, I mean I guess it works for your family.

We are probably just another subset of the cord cutters. For years we've had a lifetime TiVo box connected to OTA antenna. That's the daily driver for the network shows, so DirecTV was just to pick up my Sci-Fi stuff and live sports mostly. We'd turn on HBO or SHO occasionally for GoT etc.. but eventually fell behind so we just grab a code when the Blu-ray set comes out at this point. I'd gladly pay less for a streaming package that omitted the local channels if we could. The TiVo and OTA antenna arose from a previous cord-cutting attempt, but we eventually fired DirecTV back up for sports and such.

The kids used "cable" for their Disney shows and such, but they're kids.. They will enjoy whatever they are given. It just has to be easy enough for them.

TLDR: I'm still looking for a live TV streaming package that does what I need, but has high enough family acceptance factor.

Chitown B

We are probably just another subset of the cord cutters. For years we've had a lifetime TiVo box connected to OTA antenna. That's the daily driver for the network shows, so DirecTV was just to pick up my Sci-Fi stuff and live sports mostly. We'd turn on HBO or SHO occasionally for GoT etc.. but eventually fell behind so we just grab a code when the Blu-ray set comes out at this point. I'd gladly pay less for a streaming package that omitted the local channels if we could. The TiVo and OTA antenna arose from a previous cord-cutting attempt, but we eventually fired DirecTV back up for sports and such.

The kids used "cable" for their Disney shows and such, but they're kids.. They will enjoy whatever they are given. It just has to be easy enough for them.

TLDR: I'm still looking for a live TV streaming package that does what I need, but has high enough family acceptance factor.

Gotcha. Every person has different needs, for sure.

Hesh

So weird that they're giving away the free upgrades to Access users only, and not Core users as well. Some sort of marketing study must have found that Access users are more likely to pay for the Elite plan after the free trial rather than go back to the Access tier. I'm guessing because the decrease in available channels is more pronounced

dracula_x

→ https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/09/playstation-vue-single-sign-on-gm/

While most of the leaked information from the iOS 11 golden master has hinted at major features coming to the iPhone and Apple Watch, a few smaller tidbits have surfaced online today. One of these is the apparent confirmation that PlayStation Vue will support Apple's Single Sign-On feature once the software update launches to the public later in September. This suggests Single Sign-On will also arrive on the PS Vue Apple TV app for tvOS 11.

Un54mLm.jpg

Weevilone

That's a cool nugget. All the TV channel apps are great, but single sign on is HUGE.

I signed into all of them manually once and they just break one at a time as they update.

U2NUMB

Many people complaining about being blocked out on local NFL games.. I had the issue in pre season. If this is a thing I will be beyond pissed..

Anyone here have that issue this Sunday?

Mezoly

Many people complaining about being blocked out on local NFL games.. I had the issue in pre season. If this is a thing I will be beyond pissed..

I was blocked in Arizona for Cardinals at Lions game. Very disappointing.

lingpanda

I haven't. Last year or this season. Mid Atlantic area.

enoki

Does anyone know if they pull that crap of giving you the free upgrade and then they start charging if you don't cancel it?

I always decline those from DTV because I know I won't go back and cancel it in time.

When you cancel the trial, you keep the time remaining.

Jeels

Idk if I can hold onto this after my grandfathered in price disappears in a couple months. It's pricing itself out of what im comfortable with.

bebop242

I don't get local fox on Vue but I was able to stream Falcons/Bears on the Fox Sports Go app.

Has anyone had any issues with the My Shows tab not loading. Its been like that for 2 weeks now. Have to search for saved shows manually.

sladeums

How do I get this blasted blue PS Vue icon off my TV feed in the upper right-hand corner?! It's even on recorded shows!

not sure what platform you're using, but on my PS4 I encountered that issue after disabling the inactivity timer under device settings in the app.

Weevilone

I finally gave up my grandfathered pricing so I could add NFL Redzone. The price pushed up, so I'll probably drop it after the season.

I am liking Youtube TV pretty well, though the device support is non-existent, and the channel lineup isn't great.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but thinking about jumping in on this and I have some questions...

1. How's the overall streaming resolution compared to cable? I have a a big TV that I spent a lot of $ on and it might be a deal breaker if the quality is poor. I should have a 500mbps connection/no data caps, so plenty of speed, will the picture quality be identical to what I'm used to with cable? I currently have Comcast (I know, shame...).

2. Any notable difference in streaming quality between Playstation consoles, Chromecasts or other devices?

3. Any advantage of being a PS+ member or anything when signing up for this?

4. Basically doing this for the local sports options...No weird blackouts or anything like that, right?

5. I know this probably differs by region/internet quality, but how reliable is this service compared to cable?

Thanks!

Weevilone

1. How's the overall streaming resolution compared to cable?

2. Any notable difference in streaming quality between Playstation consoles, Chromecasts or other devices?

4. Basically doing this for the local sports options...No weird blackouts or anything like that, right?

5. I know this probably differs by region/internet quality, but how reliable is this service compared to cable?

1. I think it's 720p 60Hz
2. There shouldn't be in my experience
3. ? Looks like I was wrong maybe?
4. There shouldn't be any differences from cable, but some people occasionally report glitches. Been ok for me.
5. I would say it's extremely reliable, but I guess it can vary. I've not had the best experience with cable so I'd say the same. I did have my first digitization a few times with a hockey game last night, but it's not been an issue prior.

mindatlarge

Sorry to bump an old thread, but thinking about jumping in on this and I have some questions...

1. How's the overall streaming resolution compared to cable? I have a a big TV that I spent a lot of $ on and it might be a deal breaker if the quality is poor. I should have a 500mbps connection/no data caps, so plenty of speed, will the picture quality be identical to what I'm used to with cable? I currently have Comcast (I know, shame...).

Thanks!

1. The quality is great. It's 1080p, though it looks crisper than DirecTV to me. None of that weird artifact effect when things are in motion. I rarely have it downgrade the resolution, once in a blue moon it does during a heavy traffic program. But like I said, that's on rare occasions and things snap back to 1080p.

2. I don't notice any differences between when I watch it on my PS4 or Roku. It always looks good.

3. If you have PS+ you save money on channel addons per month like Showtime, etc. and their Soccer package.

4. I live near the Pittsburgh area and I may have experienced some blackouts...or at least that's what they appear to be, I've had this happen like a handful of times, but not a deal breaker to me as it was like once or twice over the course of close to a year. Also you can no longer use the NBC Sports app to live stream the NFL, at least in my area you can't. This may be due to the fact that my area does not yet have NBC as a live local channel yet, just CBS. Though with the ESPN and Fox Sports app you can live stream a ton of sports. The ESPN app also carries all the ABC games for the most part. College football is definitely the service's strong area. The ESPN app also grants you access to ESPN 3. You just download the apps and login with your PlayStation Network credentials and the apps recognize you have the PlayStation Vue service.

5. I've been subscribed for some time now. Close to a year, or at least it seems, and I've had a couple issues with downtime but nothing major and much better than my experiences with DirecTV plus it's half the price of what I was paying with them.

I'd recommend at least giving it a shot with the free trial. Test out the sports you enjoy watching and see if it'll work for you.

Thanks for the answers up above. I decided to try out the trial, and overall I'm happy with it.

Some strange things I've encountered:

-Quality and smoothness on my Chromecast has been consistently much better than streaming via my Ethernet connected PS4 Pro, which seems odd. Pro is more often than not smooth, but some of the time it is juddery, which is a big negative for sports.

- Am I doing something wrong? Is there really no way to fast forward/rewind when using Chromecast to watch something that is live?! I thought maybe because of the smaller screen size on my phone that might be the reason, but tried it on an Ipad and still nothing?

-I still have Comcast hooked up for the next few days or so and in comparing it with Vue I actually prefer the picture I'm getting via Chromecast. Chromecast > Comcast > Pro which is the opposite of what I predicted it to be.

Will probably go ahead and keep this after my trial is over. Not being able to rewind/fast forward with Chromecast is so far my biggest negative.

Weevilone

Something sounds wonky. The image from my Shield TV and PS4 Pro via Vue is fabulous and smooth.

I just returned a Chromecast Ultra b/c it was a pita to FF and such from my mobile devices, vs a remote.

Chitown B

it is REALLY annoying that Fox and FXX replace DVR versions with On Demand almost instantly and then it says "New" again so you think you haven't watched them. Maddening.

gunstarhero

Just noticed that now that I have a second PS4, I can’t run Vue on both at the same time because PSN only allows you to be logged in on one console at a time - and Vue is tied to my PSN account.

Is there anyway around this? Other than using a Apple TV, Roku, etc. instead of the PS4 console as my second device.

Just noticed that now that I have a second PS4, I can’t run Vue on both at the same time because PSN only allows you to be logged in on one console at a time - and Vue is tied to my PSN account.

Is there anyway around this? Other than using a Apple TV, Roku, etc. instead of the PS4 console as my second device.

Hmm, that sounds like an issue. I'd go to customer service about that. Sometimes I have Vue playing on my laptop while I'm on my console, but I've never tried two consoles at the same time. I'm assuming you tried to sign in as a guest on one of your PS4s and that didn't work (I'd assume it wouldn't since you have to be logged into your PSN account, I think).

bebop242

Nope just can't use 2 ps4s at the same time. You can do ps4 and ps3 together if you have a ps3 laying around.

Major oversight on Sony IMO.

DarkestHour

Banned

Nope. Sony won't let you stream on two of the same devices. It is truly an ignorant move on their part. I just bought a Roku instead for my second TV.

U2NUMB

it is REALLY annoying that Fox and FXX replace DVR versions with On Demand almost instantly and then it says "New" again so you think you haven't watched them. Maddening.

Yea I am beyond scared of this.. keep hearing rumors of local stations turning into on demand only which would remove sports. I swear PS Vue feels like they have no pull with stations but this rumor and move to me seems like they are doing it to save money.

Where I live over the air signal is strangely tough to nail down so Vue is what I use for locals so if they remove live locals I am going to be so furious..

I am likely safe based on where I live but they keep removing channels... (MGM just today)

Find out if you might be losing locals
http://cordcuttersnews.com/find-will-lose-playstation-vue-locals/

After reading the article it seems some people were getting locals when they were far away from those locals? I guess that makes sense on some level.

bebop242

Yea I am beyond scared of this.. keep hearing rumors of local stations turning into on demand only which would remove sports. I swear PS Vue feels like they have no pull with stations but this rumor and move to me seems like they are doing it to save money.

Where I live over the air signal is strangely tough to nail down so Vue is what I use for locals so if they remove live locals I am going to be so furious..

I am likely save based on where I live but they keep removing channels... (MGM just today)

After reading the article it seems some people were getting locals when they were far away from those locals? I guess that makes sense on some level.

Ugh if I lose CBS I'll be beyond pissed. Especially after they raised my rate like I have most of the live locals. CBS is all we have right now. If I wanted to pay more for less, I would have stuck with cable.

Cloud DVR is the only thing keeping me on Vue right now.

muteki

I am likely save based on where I live but they keep removing channels... (MGM just today)

If I am doing it right it looks like we will lose NBC here. Locals with Vue have always been horrible where I'm at, only ABC live with Fox and NBC on demand only. Never offered CBS one way or another. Mostly for other reasons but still looks like I'm canceling at the end of the month before the price goes up.

Probably going to get back into this. Car warranty I dropped by 50 bucks over the phone a month back and will soon end payments in 10 months or so

What I loved most was the ui and crisp picture very good

R-User!

Anybody having network issues with vue?

My network test showed a quick response stating that I have a Successful connection...

Edit: checked down detector and it's having issues right now on PS4...

I'll try the fire tv someone said was working for them...

JB1981

Anybody having network issues with vue?

My network test showed a quick response stating that I have a Successful connection...

Edit: checked down detector and it's having issues right now on PS4...

I'll try the fire tv someone said was working for them...

Can't connect either

Top Bottom