• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue Goes Nationwide, Starting at $29.99 in New Markets

jorgejjvr

I used and loved PS VUE for months. I was paying the $40 plan. The UI was good enough, DVR function worked well...but when Viacom channels were dropped (not blaming Sony), I had to drop it. I was sad :(

I took the AppleTV deal with DirectvNow and so far it has not been a good experience at all. Watching a live channel where is every few minutes it has to buffer, makes this unusable. The OnDemand works...sometimes. I have to reset the app for it to work. The channels are slow to load. That's not a big deal but the buffering and just overall buggyness not to mention the beta feel to it has me really upset.

The picture quality is certainly better than PS VUE. But that becomes irrelevant when you can't really watch a show without interruption. I really hope this is taken care of because the $35 for $60 package deal is great but what's the point if it's unwatchable. How long do I have to wait for it to be fixed? Regardless, I'm locked in for 3 months.
There appears to have been an update just yesterday or today. My apple TV had a blue light next to the direct TV app

I've had 0 problems and it has worked absolutely perfect since then

Hopefully it stays that way

I will update if anything changes.

I would advise to everyone with direct TV now and an Apple TV, to test again after the update.

Has been working flawlessly for me all day today, when normally it tends to freeze and errors out. That is a very good sign

bebop242

Just got our first local channel (CBS in Eastern Iowa) and it does not allow DVR. Is this the norm for local stations on this service.

Wifes mad she can't DVR Judge Judy lol

U2NUMB

Just got our first local channel (CBS in Eastern Iowa) and it does not allow DVR. Is this the norm for local stations on this service.

Wifes mad she can't DVR Judge Judy lol

I have no problem using dvr on Dr Phil from my local CBS in the The twin cities

They need to get on the ball in my area. Only local live channel is ABC. I am not signing up for this until the local channels are included.

Another one bites the dust...

Hello,

Thank you for subscribing to PlayStation™Vue. As of Wednesday 1/25/2017, the Esquire channel will no longer be available in the Access and Core plans. Esquire will continue to be available in the Elite and Ultra plans.

For those on the West Coast who subscribe to Elite or Ultra, the Esquire channel will now be available in HD (making Esquire available in HD everywhere that Vue offers service). As part of this change, if Esquire was added to your Favorite Channels, you will need to re-favorite it. Additionally, your previously saved Esquire DVR content in My Shows will no longer be available, but Esquire On Demand programming will continue as normal - now just in HD.

Thank you,
PlayStation™Vue

Do I have to connect through my internet to access mobile channel apps? I'm on $35 plan and get Big Ten Network and thus the BTN2go app says Vue is compatible with their service. Does that just mean anywhere near my router or can I actually go somewhere and log in from a different ISP, which is otherwise not allowed by PS Vue? Kinda defeats the purpose on BTN if the furthest I can "Go" is my bathroom.

TLDR: Do mobile apps bypass the Vue same ISP requirement?

Do I have to connect through my internet to access mobile channel apps? I'm on $35 plan and get Big Ten Network and thus the BTN2go app says Vue is compatible with their service. Does that just mean anywhere near my router or can I actually go somewhere and log in from a different ISP, which is otherwise not allowed by PS Vue? Kinda defeats the purpose on BTN if the furthest I can "Go" is my bathroom.

TLDR: Do mobile apps bypass the Vue same ISP requirement?

I can use abc and bravo apps with Vue login when I'm outside the house, don't know about btn2go

U2NUMB

Not sure if the rest of you are seeing this but the last couple months I am beyond tired of seeing "Loading... please wait" happens far more often than it used to for me.

MCD250

Not sure if the rest of you are seeing this but the last couple months I am beyond tired of seeing "Loading... please wait" happens far more often than it used to for me.
Haven't been experiencing that myself. What device do you use Vue on?

U2NUMB

Haven't been experiencing that myself. What device do you use Vue on?

We are a 100% Roku home so I have everything from a stick to a 4k, an Ultra and a Premier Plus.. before the last 2 months things were pretty solid but its been annoying more than anything recently.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Not sure if anyone has ever had this issue but PS Vue works, its playing but I can't interact with it at all. This on my normal PS4 and nothing else is affected as I just beta Gravity Rush 2 and was trying out Netflix. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling it but this is the first time in over a year anything like this has ever happened.

Edit: Deleting and reinstalling Vue didn't work either. Not sure what the problem is.

Edit 2: Huh and now nothing outside of the main menu screens responds at all... weird.

I'm still mad about Viacom. Though funnily enough paying for Internet, Vue Elite Slim, and Sling TV Orange+Kids (for Nick) is still cheaper than getting traditional cable+internet with all of the same channels and a DVR.

bebop242

For the interested, they're adding MLB today:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/844217118916665344

I can't seem to find info on what plan(s) will include it, unfortunately.

This is HUGE for me. Wish it had it last year but I'm glad they added it.

It depends on what company owns your affiliates. Sony and other OTT services have to negotiate individually with each one.

Yea it's a long process. They finally added CBS a couple months back for my area. At least you get the on demand content for most prime time stuff regardless of access to the live content.

Basic tier's actually $30 (or $40 if you're in a market that offers all of cbs, nbc, abc, and fox). It's probably in the next step up tier with all the other league channels that starts at $35.

edit: Yeah, I just checked and they actually updated their site. It's included beginning with the core slim tier.

Doombear

EDIT: Found my answer in the FAQ.

Combed through the topic, but not seeing an answer (and maybe it is quite simple and I am just missing it anyway) so I thought I'd ask.

I have a PS4 Pro and my daughter has a PS4. Same household. I generally activate her console on the weekends and then switch Activated Console back to mine during the week (for Remote Play). That way she can play Overwatch on her account via my PS+ benefits, or any of my PS+ / digitally own titles.

My question is, how does Vue work generally with two PS4s. Is the service shared on an Activated console like the PS+ benefits are? So we could both access it (her when hers is Activated on her PSN account, and myself via logging in to my account on the Pro?) or is it not so easy?

Anyone have any experience with this? I do have my older PS3 as well, but ideally I'd rather not have to use that if possible.

EDIT CONT'D: Found what I was looking for in the Official FAQ. So that is that!

Only one PS4 console and one PS3 console can be used at a given time (i.e. you cannot stream PS Vue on two PS4 consoles or two PS3 consoles at any given time, but one PS4 and one PS3 can be used at once).

Persona7

Banned
Anyone else experiencing constant pauses on recorded shows on an Amazon Fire TV? It acts like you paused it and brings up the little sub menu.

U2NUMB

Anyone else experiencing constant pauses on recorded shows on an Amazon Fire TV? It acts like you paused it and brings up the little sub menu.

I get far too man pauses on my Roku but beyond that the DVR function is currently garbage... the audio is often 10 min or more ahead of the video... i have to stop and start over and over to have it catch up.

Ogodei

I still don't get the economics of this, since you're most likely to get internet through your cable company and, at least with Comcast, good internet, unbundled, will run you $70/mo anyway, and you could get the starter triple play for $90.

If you live in a city with good municipal broadband, or in a Google Fiber city, great, but otherwise, you're probably getting a better deal on a bundle from whoever's routing the signal into your house.

Briarios

I still don't get the economics of this, since you're most likely to get internet through your cable company and, at least with Comcast, good internet, unbundled, will run you $70/mo anyway, and you could get the starter triple play for $90.

If you live in a city with good municipal broadband, or in a Google Fiber city, great, but otherwise, you're probably getting a better deal on a bundle from whoever's routing the signal into your house.

That's not how it works ... The starter thing is good for a limited time. I had Verizon FiOs which became Frontier -- I had a triple play thing here for like $90, then they charge you for the cable boxes, and taxes, ends up being around $130. Then, after your introductory period (1 or 2 years) the price shoots up. My cost went up almost $100 ... When I complained, they offered me a deal where it would just go up $60.

Sure, at the beginning, it was a better deal ... Now, in my situation, Vue is better. Plus, for a lot of networks, subscribing to Vue lets you just use their app to stream.

Spectrum Triple Play would cost me $90 per month with 100 down internet. With the 3 TVs I use, that would be $135 a month (I believe they charge $15/month per cable box), with no DVR and a phone line I wouldn't use.

100 down internet by itself would cost me $45 per month, and a mid tier Vue plan (with no cable boxes and 5 streams) would run me another $45 per month. So I'm saving $45 per month for the same internet, more concurrent streams, DVR, and no useless phone line. Not to mention Vue rates aren't promotional so you won't pay more every year. Its not always going to be a huge savings, but it's made a difference in what I spend.

phant0m

I'm paying Fios $122/mo for 75/75 net + a very basic channel package. I rent the cablecard and have an HDHomerun. All my tv, broadcast over the home network? With 3 separate tuners? The dream is real!

Except it's a pain in the ass. I can view the DLNA streams on PS3/4, but there's no guide or any DVR functionality whatsoever. The HDHomerun app for Win10/Xbox is works to watch encrypted channels and DVR (to a PC that needs to be always-on), but the interface is garbage. ShieldTV is the best option, the latest update allows local DVR from the network tuner. Android TV's Live Channels app is super slick, great guide and UI. Except half my channels won't tune. Works fine everywhere else. I'm just done fighting my fucking TV.

Signed up for the Vue trial today. Really impressed with the UI on the Shield and iOS. MUCH less impressed with the picture quality, noticeably less crisp than cable/broadcast.
Almost everything coming over the HDHR is 1080i, so it's pretty disappointing to see 720p only. Especially with how much they crush it down to 5 Mbps (which makes it even sadder how bad the PS3 chokes on live feed).

Raw MPEG2 feed of a channel out of the HDHR is like 17-20 Mbps, and I know everyone can't support that but at least have it be an option. That shit is CRISP. And the PS3 is snappy with it in DLNA, 60fps butter. Even a 7 or 8 Mbps, 720p/5.1 option would be a marked improvement.

pacman85

Another point not to ignore about the advantage of Vue is how easy it is to cancel. Some people only need Vue during football season for example. You simply log on to the website and click cancel whereas with my local cable/internet provider (Cox Communications) you have to ALWAYS call if you are trying to cancel or downgrade any of your services. They specifically set it up that way so you get on the phone with a live person who wants to make it as hard as possible for you to cancel. Oh, and that's after potentially waiting on hold for a while, and/or having to go through a ton of voice/number prompts.

For me I only sub during football season and maybe the nba finals. So about half the year I can turn it off. With fios tv I'd be locked into a 2 year contract. Even if I had it all year I would still save on equipment costs and cloud dvr (when it works) is how dvr should be.

AmuroChan

My internet is a business account that my company pays for and it's under their name. I can't bundle TV with that. So I have to get that separately.

Just in case anyone in the Midwest wants to know, PS Vue does NOT currently include Fox Sports Midwest, so you can't watch the Cardinals or Blues with this service. It really sucks that they advertise "Fox Sports Regional Networks" as being part of this when clearly it's only some of them. And you can't find an updated answer about FSM for this year anywhere online. I ended up spending $35 just to jump in for another month to find out. At least I can watch some EPSN for 30 days.

Just in case anyone in the Midwest wants to know, PS Vue does NOT currently include Fox Sports Midwest, so you can't watch the Cardinals or Blues with this service. It really sucks that they advertise "Fox Sports Regional Networks" as being part of this when clearly it's only some of them. And you can't find an updated answer about FSM for this year anywhere online. I ended up spending $35 just to jump in for another month to find out. At least I can watch some EPSN for 30 days.
You should be getting it. According to the Vue subreddit, sometimes the service has a difficult time determining what channels you should be getting. Try contacting support. And for now, you can login to the FSgo app I think.

Some states are being charged more now in the name of "taxes." Got hit an extra $2+ dollars. Apparently my state was already collecting taxes from Vue that was cooked into the price. Sony cooked them out though with this added fee that they're trying to blame on the states.

kirblar

Another point not to ignore about the advantage of Vue is how easy it is to cancel. Some people only need Vue during football season for example. You simply log on to the website and click cancel whereas with my local cable/internet provider (Cox Communications) you have to ALWAYS call if you are trying to cancel or downgrade any of your services. They specifically set it up that way so you get on the phone with a live person who wants to make it as hard as possible for you to cancel. Oh, and that's after potentially waiting on hold for a while, and/or having to go through a ton of voice/number prompts.
Yup. This doesn't leave you on the hook for anything. It's fantastic for low-income people for that reason as well.
Some states are being charged more now in the name of "taxes." Got hit an extra $2+ dollars. Apparently my state was already collecting taxes from Vue that was cooked into the price. Sony cooked them out though with this added fee that they're trying to blame on the states.
Yes, some states have higher taxes than others. Welcome to how the world works.

You should be getting it. According to the Vue subreddit, sometimes the service has a difficult time determining what channels you should be getting. Try contacting support. And for now, you can login to the FSgo app I think.

You can definitely use FSGo. But no DVR there.

And their support has been completely unhelpful for me with this. In Indiana but I get Fox Sports Ohio. Everytime I talk to them they say there's nothing they can do because that's what the system sets me as for my zip code. :(

Literally my only issue with the service though.

Top Bottom