• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...troversial-youtuber-jontron-from-yooka-laylee

UK developer Playtonic has removed the controversial YouTuber JonTron from its upcoming title Yooka-Laylee.

JonTron - real name Jon Jafari - has found himself in the news in recent weeks following a series of far-right views about immigration, ethnicity and nationalism.

JonTron was doing voice acting for the game, for those who didn't know.

"We recently became aware of comments made by voice artist JonTron after development on Yooka-Laylee had been completed," the firm told GamesIndustry.biz in a statement.

"JonTron is a talented video presenter who we were initially, two years ago, happy to include as a voice contributor in our game. However, in light of his recent personal viewpoints we have made the decision to remove JonTron's inclusion in the game via a forthcoming content update. We would like to make absolutely clear that we do not endorse or support JonTron's personal viewpoints and that, as an external fan contributor, he does not represent Playtonic in any capacity. Playtonic is a studio that celebrates diversity in all forms and strives to make games that everyone can enjoy. As such, we deeply regret any implied association that could make players feel anything but 100% comfortable in our game worlds, or distract from the incredible goodwill and love shown by our fans and Kickstarter backers."

Kudos to Playtonic. I was going to purchase the game either way, but it speaks well of their morality that they made this decision.

giphy.gif

Grylvak

Saw that coming. I wonder if Gears for Breakfast (Hat in Time) will do the same or if they will keep Jon's voice in the game.

tomhan

Well there it is, I am officially old. I had no idea what any of the three things in the thread title were. After reading the OP this seems like a good thing though, so that's good.

L Thammy

That was fast. But good on them. JonTron was like high octane racism.

Honestly, little interest in the game, but I'm considering grabbing it to give them some support now.

"The makers of my favorite childhood game don't like me anymore. Am I wrong? No, my childhood was wrong"
Hope something gets through to him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom