• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic removes JonTron from Yooka-Laylee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
I would seriously like to see anyone bitching about playtonic go up to their boss or one of their coworkers and start saying that minorities taint the gene pool, rich black people are genetically predisposed to committing more crime than poor whites, and the colonization of Africa was a good thing

See how long you last. It doesn't matter where you work. Starbucks, Walmart, an auto shop. Literally EVERY job would fire the person saying this stuff

Everyone. Not a single person bitching about playtonic would have the guts to regurgitate that stuff in their work place. This isn't a video game industry exclusive SJW take over. It's how work environments and companies operate.

You say that until someone is like:

"I'm a white-house staffer"

No, it's pretty cleanly in context. I don't "choose" to divide people if I'm reacting negatively toward a person who is actively espousing white supremacist views. You're advocating for tolerating intolerants or else WE'RE at fault for "being divisive", even though we're reacting to people who are actually being divisive in the first place.

??? You realize im saying JonTron is being divisive right? Im talking about all groups in America.

To be more specific, JonTron was wrong for what he said. Just to be clear on that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Aren't you both anime avatars?

image.php
Sure. But by your logic white people can't call out other white people on their bullshit

You'd think after all the times Jon "rich blacks commit more crime than poor whites, it's a fact look it up" Tron has been snubbed by creators he admires that he'd do more self-reflection.

I'm so happy Neil Cici hasn't been outed as a jerk yet. Idk if I could handle it.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Sure. But by your logic white people can't call out other white people on their bullshit

White people aren't a monolithic group, nor are anime avatars.

But it's more like if a white person called out another white person for being white, or a black person calling out another black person for being black. That's what his post is like, just with anime avatars so it's not serious or anything. Again, not nearly as serious as that, but it's the exact same logic.

The reality is that anime avatars on GAF come in many types. Some are even mods. Calling them out for liking anime enough to have an avatar with it is silly.

marrec

Banned
I predict he learns nothing from this and uses it to further become a martyr in certain undesirable corners of the internet

Its the same tired cycle.

Watch for his Patreon announcement and recurring guest spot on The Rubin Report.

To eventually culminate in a guest spot on the Joe Rogan podcast.

Not a huge fan of the genre but I'll buy Yooka-Laylee once it comes out. I'm sure some assholes won't buy the game now because they offended a racist. Platonic deserves better.

I just had a guy try to argue that racism is only discrimination if you believe in race.

Twitter was a mistake

That's more logical than the gaffer who argued with me that race isn't real but racism is. At least twitter guy is following A to B logic even if he is delusional.

NandoGip

Good

Watch for his Patreon announcement and recurring guest spot on The Rubin Report.

quoting this for when the inevitable joe rogan podcast spot comes

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just had a guy try to argue that racism is only discrimination if you believe in race.

Twitter was a mistake

Woa man, what if you simply take the "race" out of racism? Then you just have "ism".*
Think about it! No really! THINK ABOUT IT DUDE!

*and a negative e somewhere

NateDrake

That'd be nice. Apparently he said he's making a video about this whole thing too. Can't wait for his hot take...

It'll be a video of ignorance. His base will applaud him for it though and he'll get views for pouring gas onto the fire. The hate will give him tons of views. Based on his Twitter and past videos, he loves the attention.

Maybe video game Youtube/Twitter personalities should stick with gaming because they know shit when it comes to anything else. And even that is giving some too much credit.

Maybe I think too much of Joe Rogan but I don't think he would take kindly to a few of Jontron's more extreme statements.

joecanada

wait what? Joe Rogan supports alt-right guests? I was just going to start listening to his podcasts for something to do on my commute :\

Gestault

I'm willing to make the gamble that the amount of people who would actually revoke a purchase because of JonTron is negligible at worst. People consume all forms of media regardless of who is involved on a daily basis. I don't see why video games are so special.

Is anything he contributed to the game racist? Probably not. Most people probably either won't know or won't care about a random VA's opinion outside of the game.

Do you honestly think that sales would've been noticeably impacted by them having JonTron in the game?

Something has been taken away from this game because people are screaming racist Nazi about a guy and the company wants to save face despite it not actually being something they realistically need to worry about. Of course it's their game. That doesn't mean I support the decision to cave to nonsense.

You're frustrated at the idea of a developer and publisher deciding they don't want to associate with white supremacy. Assuming your points about how little effect that connection would have had on sales were true, that would make extra clear that this was an ethical question for them, and not a commercial one.

When you say "people are screaming racist," it implies irrationality in the reactions to Jon's advocacy for white supremacy, and (seemingly) that the conclusion is unfair. JonTron argued for hours in support of the most odious and ignorant views of race and culture. He wants laws changed to protect American white supremacy. You're upset at a freely made, rational decision by a company about what they put in their art because it dares to center on a rejection of white supremacy. Pardon me for seeing how that reflects on your character.

You are necessarily arguing that these views should be inconsequential enough that a business not be permitted to avoid the association.

Oh my god yes

Dreading this. Can't stand Josh Thomas. His mouth is why Nintendo won't do anything with him anymore.

It isn't just his mouth. It's the fact that he, too, is a known racist and a bully. I said it earlier in this thread. He has form and history for it, so, for him to defend JonTron shouldn't be a surprise.

It's mind blowing reading posts in this thread defending Hitler and his right to work. I'm glad they're banned...I literally can't imagine people are this stupid.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Playtonic's website is back up, good to see.

Hope it wasn't down due to a reaction earlier from certain elements.

Regardless of his views he makes good content. It's a shame this is happening.

Not sure what exactly you meant by "this" but in theory I agree.

It's a shame that the creator of good content happens to be a racist bigot. Such talent would be better possessed by someone who is inclusive and willing to have educated discussion orrrr choose to leave his views out of his work.

I don't feel bad for him. It's just a waste of talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom