• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

RK128

Wow, this looks great :D! Love the designs of the duo and the gameplay shown in the IGN video looks fantastic :).

Between Microsoft doing more with Rare IP (Battletoads in Shovel Knight, Conker's episodic game in Project Spark, Iron Galaxy/Double Helix making Killer Instinct), Gory Detail's Rusty Pup, Parashoot Stan and Playtonic making this, Rare is back :'). Finally they are back man :D!

Sorry, but this is just some killer news. What a Rare turn of events that took place here :).

Sorry for the bad puns, just really excited about this :D!

Edit: Thank you gafneo for point those other games out :D.

MagnesD3

Im very happy with what has been shown. Banjo Kazooie is my favorite game of all time and Banjo Tooie is just as fantastic. Ive been waiting for something like those games for a long time and it looks like it may finally be time for this kind of 3d adventure to finally return. I never back kickstarters but it looks like Ill have to make an exception this time.

gafneo

Banned
Like this if it were actual 3d gp.
hive.jpg

gafneo

Banned
Wow, this looks great :D! Love the designs of the duo and the gameplay shown in the IGN video looks fantastic :).

Between Microsoft doing more with Rare IP (Battletoads in Shovel Knight, Conker's episodic game in Project Spark, Iron Galaxy/Double Helix making Killer Instinct) and Playtonic making this, Rare is back :'). Finally they are back man :D!

Sorry, but this is just some killer news. What a Rare turn of events that took place here :).

Sorry for the bad puns, just really excited about this :D!
You forgot Gory Detail's Rusty Pup and Parashoot Stan

For some reason I though this was going to be Xbox One only. Really happy to see it's (probably) going multiplatform.

Looks great, this world needs more quality 3d platformers. That sound snippet reminds me of Banjo so much <3

That ice level artwork!

-MD-

I'm sure that Yooka is female, and Laylee is male. Without a doubt. I don't think it needs confirmation, it just seems obvious.

Agreed. Not sure why everyone was so convinced it was a 2 male team, to the point of saying that they won't back the game unless Playtonic changes one of their sex lol.

The name "Laylee" initially through me off cause it sounded female but I'm 100% in the camp that Yooka is a chick.

flak57

Doesn't have the typical Rare "this looks ridiculous and we know it" design, curious to see their personalities.

I'm sure that Yooka is female, and Laylee is male. Without a doubt. I don't think it needs confirmation, it just seems obvious.

I thought it was confirmed a loooong time ago honestly. Or maybe that's because the fan artists working off the tease image were just that good.

I'm really looking forward to that, as a person who has played Banjo-Kazooie back in the day.

I'm very curious on how they will manage to pull off recreating 64-bit style graphics.

Pyrokai

If Yooka is indeed female, can I just say I'm soooooo glad they didn't make her female by simply adding "eyelashes" which, of course, makes every character female automatically *eye[lash] roll*

If Yooka is indeed female, can I just say I'm soooooo glad they didn't make her female by simply adding "eyelashes" which, of course, makes every character female automatically *eye[lash] roll*
I think that's likely, since the design notes say they tried to make her more feminine looking. Cool!

I will say though, all of the old school Rare designs and now these two as well look much better with a gritty 90s look rather than this super shiny Pixar kind of thing. But I like the logo!

-MD-

I'm more interested in their personalities than their gender, I want one of them to be a brash smart-ass like Kazooie was.

HUELEN10

OMG, the logo...

/v/ pandering at its finest; for that alone, they get my money. I don't even LIKE non-360 Banjo Kazooie, but because they went there, they are getting my money.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Imagine if the Xbox One version was delayed, and to compensate they had a certain character duo turn up during the game as exclusive content.

A certain bear and a bird.

Imagine if the Xbox One version was delayed, and to compensate they had a certain character duo turn up during the game as exclusive content.

The bear from Condemned and the eagles from Far Cry 4 join forces to make you shit your pants

I hope there is a bear and bird somewhere in the game that isn't Banjo and Kazooie. Like a overwhelmingly obvious joke about where they came from.

Putting aside any of my BK/old Rare (RIP) fanboyism, I'm just excited to see an indie 3D platformer with an experienced crew behind it. The little we saw already looks leagues beyond any of its competitors without any funding yet.

Top Bottom