• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

Imagine if the Xbox One version was delayed, and to compensate they had a certain character duo turn up during the game as exclusive content.

A certain bear and a bird.

imagine the xbone had banjo-kazooie

the ps4 ratchet and clank and jak e dexter

and the wii u had donkey kong and diddy kong.

kevin1025

Banned
Imagine if the Xbox One version was delayed, and to compensate they had a certain character duo turn up during the game as exclusive content.

I'm buying all versions anyway, a Shovel Knight style exclusive character thing would be the best.

Poona

This is good, but I'll say that I would've preferred a bear on a bird's back.

Koala bear on an ostrich, anyone?

Or maybe a red panda.

Maybe, apart from the fact that neither koalas or red pandas are bears. Koalas arent bears at all - they're related to wombats.

Griss

Yeah, I'm in. Character designs aren't 100% awesome but they're pretty damn good, and everything else about this seems spot-on. That music clip is ridiculously 'banjo' - it's clear that they're gonna deliver on the nostalgia. We need more classic 3D platformers up here.

Let's hope it turns out good.

Don't think I have said it yet, but I really gel with the character designs.

PS4 would get a certain elf-human guy with a otter-weasel thing.

Brace yourself.

Here we have the original original designs. Back when Laylee was a little more deranged, bless his cotton socks. He's still as cheeky as ever, though.

Yooka's look has been streamlined a bit, and is much more feminine than it once was. But you already noticed that.

LIbDQFr.jpg

It's...it's beautiful.

overcast

I fucking love Banjo-Kazooie, but I'm a little worried that this is really leaning heavily into the spiritual successor aspect. Thus making it come out as just a copy/paste of the game in the modern day.

Hopefully they add in certain aspects that make it fresh. I'm a huge platformer fan and they have the talent so I'll definitely throw some coin at the Kickstarter.

takoyaki

This will be the first Kickstarter I back in a long time, looks like a modern take on a N64 platformer in HD. Always wanted to play something like that again.

Lijik

DreamWorks isn't really an insult though.
Now Blue Sky Studios is...

the fuck? blue sky was killing the other studios at rubbery style animation for a while
their movies aint much to write home about but the visuals are always on point

Brace yourself.

Here we have the original original designs. Back when Laylee was a little more deranged, bless his cotton socks. He's still as cheeky as ever, though.

Yooka's look has been streamlined a bit, and is much more feminine than it once was. But you already noticed that.

LIbDQFr.jpg

I really dig the blocky nuts and bolts-esque art style this game has

bede-x

Yep, this looks exactly like what I want. Just get that Kickstarter up, so we can commit!

Is it too late to make one of them a girl?

Maengun1

Holy crap. Even knowing this was a Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor from the same people who made Banjo Kazooie.........this is so insanely Banjo Kazooie. I mean dayum.

I love it! Love the name. In terms of design I'm more of a fan of Laylee than Yooka, but the grappling hook mechanic reminded me of Chameleon Twist which is just another layer of N64 nostalgia overdrive.

Hook it to my veins.

Lynd7

Yeah, I hope the game design will be updated somewhat. More straight platforming challenges would be nice too.

So long as this game provides some great open environments that are fun to run and jump around with fun power-ups that open up the world, all supplemented with a glorious soundtrack and equally charming visuals, I am down.

hydruxo

I fucking love Banjo-Kazooie, but I'm a little worried that this is really leaning heavily into the spiritual successor aspect. Thus making it come out as just a copy/paste of the game in the modern day.

Hopefully they add in certain aspects that make it fresh. I'm a huge platformer fan and they have the talent so I'll definitely throw some coin at the Kickstarter.

I don't see any problem with it leaning too heavily if it's a game that you love.

mrlion

You do know that we haven't had this kind of genre for a very long time do you?

bede-x

Yeah, I hope the game design will be updated somewhat. More straight platforming challenges would be nice too.

That's what I want mostly as well. A few mini games is ok, but the majority of the game should be about platform traversal.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
You do know that we haven't had this kind of genre for a very long time do you?

Seriously! I never thought the 3D platformer genre would dry up the way it did. I hope there's a resurgence of these kinds of games if it does well.

GeeDuhb

Totally in. I love everything about it so far. They have my money tomorrow at 9am pt! Love me some platformers and miss 3D ones soooooo bad.

I have not played BK in a while, but I think it is time to dust it off tonight in celebration!

Top Bottom