• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

I'm more excited for this than I am most games coming out right now, if not all games... I can't think of any two AAA titles I want more than this and Bloodborne. PS4 purchase officially justified.

potam

Banned
The more I think about this, the more depressed I am that Chris Seavor went mobile :(

Conker spiritual successor please. Bonker the chipmunk

-MD-

The more I think about this, the more depressed I am that Chris Seavor went mobile :(

Conker spiritual successor please. Bonker the chipmunk

Rusty Pup isn't mobile.

Edit: Phone mobile I mean, it's gonna be 3DS/WiiU and prob PC.

popyea

Not digging the character designs but whatever. I was never exposed to collectathon platoformers, but I was always attracted to the designs of Banjo, Kazooie and Conker.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This game looks like hot fire! As a fan of platformers this checks all the boxes.

$15 only? I'd be in but I'm not about the Kickstarter life.

I sorry to say but this looks like absolute shit.

What a rip-off of Banjoe & Kazooie and with the fucking worst name. Yooka-Laylee? Seriously, this is creative/witty? How about Jeebus & Krist or Ash N Troid. It's all ridiculous!

This looks it was created by people with zero soul.

Rich!

What a rip-off of Banjoe & Kazooie and with the fucking worst name. Yooka-Laylee? Seriously, this is creative/witty? How about Jeebus & Krist or Ash N Troid. It's all ridiculous!

Oh my god

1. Its by the creators of Banjo Kazooie. The only game they are "ripping off" is their own. But of course, this is not a rip off by any sense of the word. It is a spiritual successor.

2. The name is intentionally daft. Its intentionally ridiculous. Just like Banjo bloody Tooie.

3. Yes, its far more creative than most shit out there in the gaming industry at present.

DzRoSPi.gif

This is about as much of a rip-off of Banjo-Kazooie as Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1, buddy.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That's like saying Obsidian ripped of Black Isle when they made Pillars of Eternity.

War Eagle

Can't tell if trolling.

Zubz

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_jHEag96w

JonTron is working on a secret project? Hurm...

I highly doubt it they're connected, since it looks like whatever he's working on is live-action, but I saw that clip and it really has me hoping that Jon plays a major character. Heck, I could see him being Laylee (We are sure that's the bat, right?); I can't think of anyone else more fitting to voice someone in a Banjo-Kazooie successor than the series' biggest fan.

Oh my god

1. Its by the creators of Banjo Kazooie. The only game they are "ripping off" is their own. But of course, this is not a rip off by any sense of the word. It is a spiritual successor.

2. The name is intentionally daft. Its intentionally ridiculous. Just like Banjo bloody Tooie.

3. Yes, its far more creative than most shit out there in the gaming industry at present.

Lol I know it's from the creators of Banjo but that still doesn't excuse that fact. Why not just make another Banjo games instead of coming up with this crap? Would you like a new Naughty Dog game called The First of Them with Goal and Lellie? No of course not!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Lol I know it's from the creators of Banjo but that still doesn't excuse that fact. Why not just make another Banjo games instead of coming up with this crap? Would you like a game called The First of Them with Goal and Lellie? No of course not!

Seriously? They don't own the rights.

Lol I know it's from the creators of Banjo but that still doesn't excuse that fact. Why not just make another Banjo games instead of coming up with this crap? Would you like a new Naughty Dog game called The First of Them with Goal and Lellie? No of course not!

They're not at rare so they can't use the banjo IP.

Lol I know it's from the creators of Banjo but that still doesn't excuse that fact. Why not just make another Banjo games instead of coming up with this crap? Would you like a game called The First of Them with Goal and Lellie? No of course not!

Because legally they can't, considering Microsoft own the IP and it's pretty certain that they're developing a new Banjo-Kazooie game of their own.

hydruxo

They aren't with Rare anymore, they don't have the rights to Banjo. This is essentially the BK sequel they all wanted to make while working at Rare the last several years but were never able to. So now they're doing it as an indie studio.

WillyFive

capture1.png

I'm excited! I hope that it makes it and the game delivers.

You are confusing the people who used to work at Rare during the N64 days with Rare the company that is currently owned by Microsoft and owns the Banjo-Kazooie IP.

Fantastapotamus

Ah pfff...you are so right. I'm gonna tell them right away. Man, are they going to feel silly now.

Honestly, that artwork makes the bat look more like a girl to me than the lizard, either way they're both anthropomorphic animals, and could easily be either or, with the only discerning factors coming down to voice and pronoun.

Rich!

Brb, I'm off to make a new Gears of War. I'm sure Microsoft won't mind. I'll make a new Star Wars too whilst I'm at it. Disney won't mind either!

Yea they can't make a Banjoe game but they honestly could've done better with these character designs and names. The game will probably be good because i'm dying to play something like Banjoe but from the original creators (one of my fave platformers ever) but this just looks like a cash-grab with zero creativity imo. How about something original instead of trying to ride on previous successes?

potam

Banned
Rusty Pup isn't mobile.

Edit: Phone mobile I mean, it's gonna be 3DS/WiiU and prob PC.

Oh, didn't know about that. Wasn't his first game as an indie a mobile parachute game or something?

Yea they can't make a Banjoe game but they honestly could've done better with these character designs and names. The game will probably be good because i'm dying to play something like Banjoe but from the original creators (one of my fave platformers ever) but this just looks like a cash-grab with zero creativity imo.

Why change shit up for the sake of change? They want to make a BK sequel. The fans want a BK sequel. This is about as good as we're going to get unless Rare pulls something crazy.

Fantastapotamus

Brb, I'm off to make a new Gears of War. I'm sure Microsoft won't mind. I'll make a new Star Wars too whilst I'm at it. Disney won't mind either!

Gears of War X Star Wars incoming

Yea they can't make a Banjoe game but they honestly could've done better with these character designs and names. The game will probably be good because i'm dying to play something like Banjoe but from the original creators (one of my fave platformers ever) but this just looks like a cash-grab with zero creativity imo. How about something original instead of trying to ride on previous successes?

What? What happened to this?
Why not just make another Banjo games instead of coming up with this crap?

Rich!

Yea they can't make a Banjoe game but they honestly could've done better with these character designs and names. The game will probably be good because i'm dying to play something like Banjoe but from the original creators (one of my fave platformers ever) but this just looks like a cash-grab with zero creativity imo.

You are literally the only person ive seen say this.

Of course its your opinion, but uh. No.

WillyFive

It is very much intentionally meant to be a Banjo-Kazooie game; but if it's a choice of Microsoft Rare making a Banjo game and these guys making a Banjo game, I would take these guys every single time.

Also, it's not really fair to call this a cash-grab at all; that implies it is financially viable and a safe lazy bet. None of this is lazy whatsoever, they are devoting a big amount of work and time and money to something no other company would do. You could say it's the exact opposite of a cash-grab.

-MD-

Oh, didn't know about that. Wasn't his first game as an indie a mobile parachute game or something?

Why change shit up for the sake of change? They want to make a BK sequel. The fans want a BK sequel. This is about as good as we're going to get unless Rare pulls something crazy.

Parashoot Stan or whatever? Yeah that was mobile only I believe. I agree though that would've sucked if he just stuck to phone games.

It is very much intentionally meant to be a Banjo-Kazooie game; but if it's a choice of Microsoft Rare making a Banjo game and these guys making a Banjo game, I would take these guys every single time.

Also, it's not really fair to call this a cash-grab at all; that implies it is financially viable and a safe lazy bet. None of this is lazy whatsoever, it's entirely risky.

Look I get what they're trying to do but it just seems uninspired. No risky would be doing something original, this is Banjoe & Kazooie in a different skin with a different name.

Top Bottom