• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

Look I get what they're trying to do but it just seems uninspired. No risky would be doing something original, this is Banjoe & Kazooie in a different skin with a different name.
Yes, it's basically Banjo. It's the kind of game they most love to do, and it's exactly what we have been asking for in the past 15 years.

Just let them do.

hydruxo

Look I get what they're trying to do but it just seems uninspired. No risky would be doing something original, this is Banjoe & Kazooie in a different skin with a different name.

That's part of the appeal for the vast majority of people here really. I know it is for me.

Rich!

This thread alone, along with the reaction across various sites, proves that what you say is exactly what people want.

You're making no sense.

The lizard looks shit

Troll confirmed. Welcome to my ignore list.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The last Banjo J'n'R came out 15 years ago.

They are not really capitalizing on some hot new trend. It's not like they are making an open world survival game with zombies.

Edit: Well, nevermind then. Fair enough, I fell for it. Well done, I guess.

hydruxo

Lol no more feeding the troll.

I'm excited to hear some David Wise tunes tomorrow. This soundtrack is gonna be glorious.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This thread alone, along with the reaction across various sites, proves that what you say is exactly what people want.

You're making no sense.

Troll confirmed. Welcome to my ignore list.

I can sense something terrible coming your way. You will not be missed with what you're purposely doing.

Wait. So not liking this concept is trolling? Seriously?

I mean, it seems ok. But it's not revolutionary or anything.

Rich!

Wait. So not liking this concept is trolling? Seriously?

There is not liking something and putting your opinion across in a justified and concise manner

And then there's what this guy is doing which is the definition of trolling.

To be honest, I do actually think the lizard is the weaker of the two in the design area. The bat at least has a unique feature with its huge nose, the lizard is just a lizard, and is kinda boring.

ffdgh

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...and I'm completely ok with that.

I guess we'll have to see then, as much as I want a new Banjo game I don't think this was a good way to go about it. It's just too similar with almost zero creativity and it doesn't look very good either (ugly infact) but hey....opinions and all. Also I don't see many people who aren't familiar with the creators or Banjo games being impressed by this unless they are kids so sales may suffer because the demographic seems very confused.

How about everyone just relax and stopped getting so worked up over other peoples posts. Geez, opinions, deal with it. State yours and move along, stop getting so offended about the way other people feel.

I can sense something terrible coming your way. You will not be missed with what you're purposely doing.

IjjLln0.png

Social

I like the designs, the ideas seem fun and the music, while being exactly like Banjo will probably be great too but isn't anyone just a tad bit concerned about this game using Unity? Big games developed with that engine always seem to be quite buggy or limited in what's possible.

I find it great talented people are able to pick up Unity and make bigger projects a reality but I always end up being disappointed by bigger scale 3D Unity games.

Diffense

9/10 times the generations that experience revolutions hate them.
"Revolutionary" is nothing but a buzz word that means jackshit for sales or even critical acclaim.

Anyway, we knew beforehand that this would be a collectathon 3D platformer that's a "spiritual successor" to Banjo-Kazooie. IOW, BK without the BK license. There was no bait and switch here. So WyTF are peoople compaining about exactly what we expected and were hyped for when it was announced? (I'm not talking about commenting on the character design etc. but complaining that it's the kind of game we KNEW from DAY ONE that it would be.) That's just dumb and irritating. If you aren't interested now you shouldn't have been interested weeks ago. So why are you disappointed? How were your expectations frustrated? Bah. It seems like every thread degenerates into whining about one thing or the other.

I still want to play it. They have the art-style down. I have a soft spot for the bird and bear but that's to be expected. I'm sure this will be a fun duo too.

MrPanic

The designs look cute. They look a bit too generic imo compared to other mascot characters like Banjo, Sonic, Crash, ect but they don't look bad either. What I've seen from the game so far looks very generic so I do hope there is more to this game than just the nostalgia ride of platformers from yesteryear, but I do have good hopes for this game.

hydruxo

The designs look cute. They look a bit too generic imo compared to other mascot characters like Banjo, Sonic, Crash, ect but they don't look bad either. What I've seen from the game so far looks very generic so I do hope there is more to this game than just the nostalgia ride of platformers from yesteryear, but I do have good hopes for this game.

They've only been working the game for 3 months or so officially, so I'm sure everything will be spiced up and given more character by the time the game comes out

Diffense

Yeah. Banjo had more obvious design aspects like the back-pack that differentiated him from being a generic bear.

On the other hand, they chose two very interesting animals here. It seems unlikely that the gameplay will fail to capitalize on the fact the Chameleons can change color/appearance. There's a potential nod to Mumbo transformations lurking there. Bats have some special powers too (eg. echolocation) so I'm intrigued to see where they'll go with it.

Yooka-Laylee... the hipster's instrument of choice!

Just kiddin'. Damn, this looks good! I've been hunkerin' for something like this for a LONG time. Whenever the kickstarter's up, these guys got my support!

Artistically, I'm sucker for stylized worlds. It's a reason I loved the look of classic Sonic the Hedgehog games(less so with the more modern ones that seemed to go for a more realistic take on natural land formations and Earth-like cities). Great example is how the mountains in the artwork of Yooka-Laylee are made up of cubes. Stuff like this tickles my fancy.

WillyFive

This is very much inspired, almost comically so; it would be ridiculous to call it anything but.

Also, doing something 'original' that has nothing to do with BK isn't any more or less riskier than doing this; the same hurdles would still be there. Doing what no one else is willing to do is risky.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yooka-Laylee sounds much more clever to me.

Do you guys think these are the final designs?

Has nothing to do with this thread, but goddamn.. This is the 5th avatar quote today. Lol

I think one of them said on twitter that the lizard may need pants. Could be a joke!

But yeah, really excited. Will definitely back it on kickstarter. I do hope that at least one of them is a girl. Rare was actually somewhat decent with that, starting with Dixie Kong. Like, that may not be important to you, and that's fine But for me it was nice being told I could be one of the main characters in these types of games.

Was never a big fan of Banjo-Kazooie, or the atmosphere/soundtrack from those games.

But I haven't played a good 3d platformer since Mario Galaxy 2, 5 years ago, and it's been even longer since it's been an open world one like this.

I'm actually kind of excited.

"Look guys, I get that they're trying to make a platformer, but why didn't they come up with an entirely new genre of video games instead of this platformer for a new platformer?"

Fat4all

Banned
I don't think it's coincidence that the JonTron update video landed today with all the news going on.

I have a feeling he's gonna be part of the game for sure, and wanted to do a little 30 second video before he popped up in the Kickstarter video tomorrow.

Do you guys think these are the final designs?

Has nothing to do with this thread, but goddamn.. This is the 5th avatar quote today. Lol

I think they're tune them up a bit, and having looked up a bit on chameleons, I actually think it might be a boy. They could change that though, or perhaps the design isn't trying to be accurate, I don't know.

Yes I actually researched the differences between chameleon sexes, I'm that bored..

I think one of them said on twitter that the lizard may need pants. Could be a joke!

Most definitely a joke, hah. But I could see some accessories added at least, because as others have said, it seems kind of plain.

image.php

Something something bat

Now I just feel like a fuckin' celebrity. :D

I laughed at getting quoted again. Lol

But I now realize that I can easily be quoted in here. >.>

Was never a big fan of Banjo-Kazooie, or the atmosphere/soundtrack from those games.

But I haven't played a good 3d platformer since Mario Galaxy 2, 5 years ago, and it's been even longer since it's been an open world one like this.

I'm actually kind of excited.

You better be excited! Because this is going to be THE game!

I think they're tune them up a bit, and having looked up a bit on chameleons, I actually think it might be a boy. They could change that though, or perhaps the design isn't trying to be accurate, I don't know.

Yes I actually researched the differences between chameleon sexes, I'm that bored..

I hope so. I'm just curious as to what they could be adding into the designs.

You actually made me look into them, hah. Males are brighter in color and they also have spurs. :V

"Look guys, I get that they're trying to make a platformer, but why didn't they come up with an entirely new genre of video games instead of this platformer for a new platformer?"

Yea because the line you quoted reads exactly like that! Wtf? How about creating a platformer where you don't have one character who can fly sitting on the back of another character who can't. Have we run out of gameplay mechanics that this cannot be avoided? If these guys had some creativity they would've found a way around this, instead it just seems like some ex rare employees who don't know how to do anything unless they're working at Rare and riding on previous successes. Kameo was a good game and it was also fresh, no reason to repeat the same thing over and over again especially if you don't own the property anymore.

Fat4all

Banned
Yea because the line you quoted reads exactly like that! Wtf? How about creating a platformer where you don't have one character who can fly sitting on the back of another character who can't. Have we run out of gameplay mechanics that this cannot be avoided? If these guys had some creativity they would've found a way around this, instead it just seems like some ex rare employees who don't know how to do anything unless they're working at Rare and riding on previous successes. Kameo was a good game and it was also fresh, no reason to repeat the same thing over and over again especially if you don't own the property anymore.

I honestly have no idea what you're complaining about. I can't make heads or tails of your posts and they constantly contradict each other.

kevin1025

Banned

There are platformers where characters don't fly because of characters on their back. This just so happens to be one that does have that. I wouldn't say this is a repeat "over and over again" since platformers of this kind have died out somewhat. I wouldn't call Ratchet and Clank a bad game because a second character adds flight, or what is essentially a hovering double jump, or a rehash. It is a game mechanic. I think people are harping on you because you're choosing to be negative and have voiced your opinion, but are engaging others with incredulity for their enjoyment of this announcement.

tumblr nose the bat

Looks great and I'm glad Nuts & Bolt's neat environment design is being put to good use in an actual platformer.

Vamphuntr

Not really a fan of the characters design. I'm not Rare number 1 fan but I do like how Banjo and Kazooie look. These simply look off to me. Maybe it's because of the lack of clothes, I dunno. The proof of concept they showed seemed interesting. Hopefully the real thing takes place in actual areas and not small floating islands.

PaulloDEC

The art/world design isn't really grabbing me; seems a little sparse/basic right now, but then I'm sure it's still very early days. Looking forward to seeing how things look going forward.

Top Bottom