• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex confirmed for Xbox One

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Well it doesn't stream the raw MKV media.

Sure. But I'm thinking on Chromecast... it wouldn't need to. Why bother programming the Chromecast itself to decode MKV when you're streaming anyway. Might as well transcode.

But who knows.

Transcoding videos is a good enough solution, this isn't a megaton like many people think. This will probably use transcoding anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Transcoding videos is a good enough solution, this isn't a megaton like many people think. This will probably use transcoding anyway.

If you can hook up a usb drive full of MKV's to the Xbox One and play them then it is a big deal.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Who says its transcoding only. That is basically fud at this point until we have further info. I'll take it even if it is but there is no reason to suspect this.

The plex apps are usually hardware bound in regards what they will play.

If you can hook up a usb drive full of MKV's to the Xbox One and play them then it is a big deal.
Plex doesn't play back local files.

Who says its transcoding only. That is basically fud at this point until we have further info. I'll take it even if it is but there is no reason to suspect this.

The plex apps are usually hardware bound in regards what they will play.

That's how Plex works, it's very unlikely Xbox One will support MKV so that leaves two options, Direct Stream which transcodes the container on the fly or full Transcoding.

In all cases Plex requires a server, it's not like XBMC that can play back local files.

Ploid 3.0

plex works fine on ps4 for me via the browser

but still...up your game sony!

You know, I never thought about using plex via console browser, and here I was going to buy extra roku's (or rather amazon boxes now) to access channels and such.

I'm not really a Plex fan. I don't want transcoding at all. XBMC is more my speed, hopefully they will get on board with an Xbox One version as well, though in the 360 era they kinda just said "The X doesn't really stand for Xbox anymore and we're a PC/Linux/Mac kinda thing now". Really they should go back to their roots. The original XBMC on Xbox pretty much covered all the features I would want out of an HTPC except being fast enough to handle HD stuff.

This is really great news in general though, because "Play to" is complete garbage.

Synth

you guys are never going to have emulators or plex or anything like that on your xbox. come on, now

Well, this didn't take long to be proven wrong, lol.

Even Plex (Media Server) can stream any video + subtitles to the PS3

If this is Plex only (not Plex Media Server) that is ported to Xbox, they shouldn't even bother, this will only give a Plex interface for something I guess the X1 can already do (I dont have one but the PS360 can do it).
It will be interesting if the X1 can act as a Plex Server (and of course client) connected to a HD/NAS

No, fuck that. My PC is doing fine as my media server, it's the playback that's been an issue up until now. This literally solves everything for me. I get that for quite a few people this isn't going to be what they need (it's not XBMC), but saying they shouldn't bother otherwise is ridiculous. Plex pretty much completes the Xbox One's media functionality for me,. Plus we wont have to sit around waiting for them to implement their own streaming functionality anymore. It's great news.

Sure. But I'm thinking on Chromecast... it wouldn't need to. Why bother programming the Chromecast itself to decode MKV when you're streaming anyway. Might as well transcode.

But who knows.

Plex will only natively handle file types that can be handled be the device itself. For mkv this will only require a demux generally, but it may require transcoding in order to retain subtitles. I'm not 100% sure.

It wont. Plex handles streams from a media server. The media server itself is separate and is unlikely to be ported. It sounds to me like you're really waiting for VLC.

p3tran

Banned
image.php
haha! is this Marius? :D

ps. great news about plex

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
That's how Plex works, it's very unlikely Xbox One will support MKV so that leaves two options, Direct Stream which transcodes the container on the fly or full Transcoding.

In all cases Plex requires a server, it's not like XBMC that can play back local files.

Plex can stream straight from a server. For example my server is on a Acer Revo, it can't transcode anything.

On my Nexus 4 and my LG TV I can play 20GB MKV files. On my Now TV and Chromecast I can't because neither of them are powerful enough so they only play SD MP4.

If this is an actual app MKV support may well be there and it's certainly powerful enough. If its not I'll still take it as I have a Plex cloud setup that will make use of it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd be okay without Plex, but with Sony offering native MKV support.

I hope Sony don't let piracy, and the urge to sell their content, from preventing MKV support. People pirate already... they just aren't going to use a Sony device to watch it if they are unable to. +1 Xbone sale, or whatever other HTPC solution.

For the record, I rip my legitimately purchased blu-rays to MKV. It's illegal to get around the copy protection but bite me... I am supporting the content I like with $$$. Would be nice to make PS4 a place where I can watch it... otherwise I'll watch it on Xbone.

But isn't Chromecast in general all about streaming from another device?

Sony bravias already have decent MKV support, so it is possible. I can use plex media server's DLNA feature to browse and play back, and mostly they don't need transcoding - it might be doing that 'change container without transcoding the contents' thing though, not sure.

So I can live without it even on PS4, but I would like a full plex UI vs current DLNA browsing menus which are pretty bare bones.

Quasar

Well it doesn't stream the raw MKV media.

And its limited in terms of video bitrates and audio codecs. Certainly that's why i still look around for the best solution that isn't building a HTPC.

Hopefully with the XBone with ist BluRay support that will mean plex would be able to bitstream those same lossless audio codecs (DTS HD-MA/Dolby True HD).

Though that raises a question. I assume MS implemented Cinavia DRM support into the Xbone?

spwolf

People are confusing Plex with XBMC.

XBMC is the do all, play all, player that can play back local files and stream them too.

Plex is the offshoot of XBMC that doesn't have local playback and can only stream from the Plex Media Server which requires you to have it set up on a PC that stores the files.

I prefer streamer to server.... so it is cool news, especially if DLNA is not coming soon.

Even Plex (Media Server) can stream any video + subtitles to the PS3

If this is Plex only (not Plex Media Server) that is ported to Xbox, they shouldn't even bother, this will only give a Plex interface for something I guess the X1 can already do (I dont have one but the PS360 can do it).
It will be interesting if the X1 can act as a Plex Server (and of course client) connected to a HD/NAS

This makes little sense considering the client is basically the main event here. It's pretty much what people want. Why have the Xbox One needlessly act as the server in the first place when it's so much smarter and more convenient to have the server run for free (and certainly better) on practically any capable Windows, Mac or Linux based computer? All the Xbox One needs is the client.

No need to use hard drive space on your Xbox One for local storage (if that's one of the things you're implying), do that on a computer where you likely have far more space than you know what to do with. Most important, why even bother wasting the Xbox One CPU cores, which are already not the most powerful things in the world, on potentially transcoding content at some point that could be much more effectively handled by the far more powerful CPU cores on your PC or Mac? After all, Plex, depending on the content can also use up CPU time. You may even desire a higher quality of transcoding, which requires even more CPU work. Either way, I think this is pretty fantastic news.

Caayn

Great news. So does this mean that MS has given the green light for app developers to freely use DLNA in their apps?

XMBC might return home after all.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You know, I never thought about using plex via console browser, and here I was going to buy extra roku's (or rather amazon boxes now) to access channels and such.

yup been using on ps4 since launch. so the wait for official support hasn't really bothered me. don't really mind if they work on some of the other stuff tbh.

JaggedSac

Sweet fancy fucking Moses. This is incredible news to me. And here's some crow to all the folks telling me and others that MS would never allow this.

Huzzah!!

And for PS4 folks, he mentioned in another thread that he was a registered dev for PS4 and working on an app there. So if he is the Plex dev, PS4 is likely getting one too.

Plex can stream straight from a server. For example my server is on a Acer Revo, it can't transcode anything.

On my Nexus 4 and my LG TV I can play 20GB MKV files. On my Now TV and Chromecast I can't because neither of them are powerful enough so they only play SD MP4.

If this is an actual app MKV support may well be there and it's certainly powerful enough. If its not I'll still take it as I have a Plex cloud setup that will make use of it.

Yes I know it can but people in here are talking like it is going to play back MKV from a USB HDD. No version of Plex does local playback so I don't know why they would change tradition and make an MKV player for Xbox One.

AzaK

A huge Megaton.

Is this the first time a game console will play MKV files?

When this gets released the Xbox One will be the dominate media player.

Awesome. I use PlexConnect on my AppleTV but it's pretty simplistic and I have longed for it on Wii U to no avail. I don't think it'll get me to buy and XB1 but if it came to PS4 it'd be a strong push to get that.

JaggedSac

Yes I know it can but people in here are talking like it is going to play back MKV from a USB HDD. No version of Plex does local playback so I don't know why they would change tradition and make an MKV player for Xbox One.

The Bone probably supports the same formats as Win8 for direct play, mkv not being one of the supported ones. Luckily, Plex will just remux it to a different container instead of doing a full transcode though. I also have all my files in mp4 so I am good to go :)

Seriously, this made my day. All hail King Spencer.

Twinduct

Pretty awesome news. Expected due to the universal app system. Still tempted to just get a FireTV for this though.

JaggedSac

For the PS4/PS3/Vita folks out there:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/100177-xbox-one-app/?p=620969

There is an existing app for Windows Phone 8, which itself will run on Windows Phone 8.1.

Xbox 360 is an entirely different platform from the Xbox One, so it would require entirely separate development.
Development for the Xbox 360 is significantly more expensive as the development kits themselves are still 10k.

As there is existing DLNA support on the 360, it doesn't really make sense to spend that kind of money to simply facilitate development on a last-gen platform.

On the other hand, code written for an app for Playstation 4 with minor tweaks and a recompile will run on the PS3 and Vita.
At present, there is nothing to announce regarding the Playstation 4 beyond it being an interesting platform.

And more info regarding the Bone version:

Unfortunately, Xbox One does not get Universal Apps until it gets a Dashboard Update "later this year".

As I don't want to keep everyone waiting that long, there will be an Xbox-Specific version released as soon as it is ready.

I will however be maintaining a Universal version with the Kinect support for when end-users are able to purchase Kinect 2.0 for Windows this Summer, as well as simplify ongoing maintenance of the Xbox One version.

Can't wait for Kinect support.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That sounds like perhaps it will be coming out as a standard app like the current ones, rather than waiting for the universal update. So maybe there is hope that Sony engage with them too

Prine

Banned
Huuge news for me and my friends, if they can work on smartglass implementation I'll have everything conveniently set on my Xbox One. Music, movies and TV.

"Xbox, go to Plex"

Awwww yyeeeeaaaahhhh

This is just the best goddamn news. I am so damn sick of using my jailbroken Apple TV with it's janky-ass Plex app that hasn't been updated in years. It works, but often crashes the box (every few days) and stuff.

This is the kind of thing I always wanted for Xbox One, and I feel like this combined with the universal apps program coming later wil be a huge boost to the usefulness of the platform.

JaggedSac

That sounds like perhaps it will be coming out as a standard app like the current ones, rather than waiting for the universal update. So maybe there is hope that Sony engage with them too

The same dev said he is working on an app(didnt say it was Plax though) for PS4, so the possibility is high.

I've never heard of Plex. What is this?

Server runs on your computer, organises all your movies/TV shows, auto categorises into Show/Season/Episode, grabs posters for all your films and TV show seasons, and can stream to a multitude of platforms in the best way suitable for the platform.
It automatically adjusts quality to the strength of your network (so instead of stopping to buffer every 2 minutes, it will just lower quality slightly to make it seamless instead).

I've been using it for about 2 years now, streaming to an Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360 and PS3 (via DLNA) and other members of the households use my server as well. It is just such an amazing media server platform.

Which audio formats does Plex support?

For video I have literally never found a format that Plex couldn't either Directly play to any of my devices, or transcode to devices that couldn't play the format natively.
Not sure on exactly the formats it supports for audio, but the Wiki page says 'all common multimedia formats', so I assume if the decoder is open source/public, then it can probably deal with it.

Mithos

Server runs on your computer, organises all your movies/TV shows, auto categorises into Show/Season/Episode, grabs posters for all your films and TV show seasons, and can stream to a multitude of platforms in the best way suitable for the platform.
It automatically adjusts quality to the strength of your network (so instead of stopping to buffer every 2 minutes, it will just lower quality slightly to make it seamless instead).

I've been using it for about 2 years now, streaming to an Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360 and PS3 (via DLNA) and other members of the households use my server as well. It is just such an amazing media server platform.

And Plex is server or client side power dependent? Because I usually place media server on the crappiest piece of hardware I have around (can absolutely NOT handle to playback 1080p mkv's etc etc) because its "only" there to host the files.

Oh wow. So ID@Xbox is going to cover apps too? That is fucking awesome.

Yeah, the dev in the forums here mentions it, and it apparently means they can release the app a lot earlier than they could under the upcoming "Universal Windows/Xbox Apps' program coming later in the year.

And Plex is server or client side power dependent? Because I usually place media server on the crappiest piece of hardware I have around (can absolutely NOT handle to playback 1080p mkv's etc etc) because its "only" there to host the files.

Server dependant. They recommend a 2.6GHz Core2Duo at least in order to transcode 1080p video (from memory), though depending on what you are streaming to you might not need to transcode.
If the playing device can natively play the format there is no need to transcode at all, and Plex just streams the file as is and requires very minimal CPU power (as in, can run on super low power NASes if you're not transcoding.)

Prine

Banned

I'd assume for resources intensive tasks, a server by default should be on capable hardware. It's there to serve, transcode, index files. And to possibly multiple clients at a time. Not just storage buddy.

Top Bottom