• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex confirmed for Xbox One

Sweet fancy fucking Moses. This is incredible news to me. And here's some crow to all the folks telling me and others that MS would never allow this.

Huzzah!!

And for PS4 folks, he mentioned in another thread that he was a registered dev for PS4 and working on an app there. So if he is the Plex dev, PS4 is likely getting one too.

But what is plex? I've heard of this app name being thrown around with SkyGo or something like that. Is it like some DNLA streaming thing to watch movies on?

I particularly don't like having my PC or laptop on when I'm on my console but would it just gather everything from ther and make it playable on the Xbox?

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I'd assume for resources intensive tasks, a server by default should be on capable hardware. It's there to serve, transcode, index files. And to possibly multiple clients at a time. Not just storage buddy.

I have my plex server for serving only. No transcoding. It's much better.

Mithos

I'd assume for resources intensive tasks, a server by default should be on capable hardware. It's there to serve, transcode, index files. And to possibly multiple clients at a time. Not just storage buddy.

From someone that comes from using XBMC for many many years, yes storing files is all my media server needed to do.

The actual playback unit located at the viewscreen used (TV, projector etc etc) is always powerful enough to do its job (decoding etc), Xbox (the very first one) for any and ALL SD material, and nowadays there are plenty of hardware that can run XBMC and 1080p mkv movies.

So Plex comes out like a total turnaround for someone who is used to XBMC.

SO MAYBE....
Maybe media server is the wrong word to use, and file server/file storage is better.

Prine

Banned
I have my plex server for serving only. No transcoding. It's much better.

Ok, I know setups where transcoding takes place on server so the client doesn't have to do much work. Though I'm not sure if this means the payload sent over the Internet is reduced when transcoded server side, over local network it's fine either way. Point being the client gets a smooth high quality picture when view over Internet (sorted out stuttering I used to get)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And Plex is server or client side power dependent? Because I usually place media server on the crappiest piece of hardware I have around (can absolutely NOT handle to playback 1080p mkv's etc etc) because its "only" there to host the files.

Server dependent if it has to transcode. Recommendation is a 2.4GHz C2D, or any modern i3 or upwards would be fine.

It is a pretty smart platform though. It'll avoid transcoding if the destination can play it directly, and it'll also remux if necessary which requires a lot less CPU power

Also works well remotely if you have decent upload speed (eg 2mb+).

Quasar

Weird. Wonder why they're not developing a PS4 version side by side.

Well Sony has not seemed very interested in the apps side of things beyond specific services. And its not like Plex have lots of development resources.

With Xbox well theres already a Metro app for Windows 8 so the work is less than say a PS4 app.

EvB

All I need right now is a dnlda file browser so I an choose the playback of something on my NAS directly from my console.

Currently I use an iPhone app to tell my server to send it to my xbox

coldfoot

Banned
Itt we get excited at the prospect of paying $60/year for an app that's already out for $99 media streamers like roku and fire

I've never used Plex. Would this be a way to get WMC files from a windows media center to play on the xbox one? The lack of WMC on the xbox one was a big disappointment. Does Plex have a 30 second skip button like WMC on the 360? Any other thoughts on using Plex to play WMC content on an Xbox?

I once tried to get Plex working on my PC but never could. It was so weird. I had to create an account and it didn't even work after doing that. I never could get it to stream stuff to my PS3. Whereas Universal Media Server works like a charm. All you have to do is start the application and bam, everything works from the get-go.

Does Plex offer something more than UMS ? Why should I use it over UMS ?

Quasar

Itt we get excited at the prospect of paying $60/year for an app that's already out for $99 media streamers like roku and fire

Well in theory the Xbone version could offer features that the Chromecast, other streamers and SmartTV Plex clients don't.

plainr_

True, this would have made a bigger impact last gen when there were very little options to choose from but it's still nice to have everything in one box under your TV.

Great news. I use Plex everyday on my HTPC, Macbook and ipad. Although I personally wouldn't bother installing it on a console since practically anything can run Plex, its great for people who only have Xbone connected to TV with PC being somewhere else.

And yeah you need a separate PC to run the media server, no local play even if Xbone supported playback through USB drive.

Qassim

This is GREAT. I love Plex, although I can't see the XB1 version beating the Chromecast version for convenience. The XB1 doesn't even support HDMI-CEC and even if it did, I doubt they'd let the Xbox One listen to requests from a Plex mobile client in standby to boot up.

coldfoot

Banned
This is GREAT. I love Plex, although I can't see the XB1 version beating the Chromecast version for convenience. The XB1 doesn't even support HDMI-CEC and even if it did, I doubt they'd let the Xbox One listen to requests from a Plex mobile client in standby to boot up.
Are you confusing wake on LAN with HDMI-CEC? Because the xb1 has hdmi-CEC

plainr_

I once tried to get Plex working on my PC but never could. It was so weird. I had to create an account and it didn't even work after doing that. I never could get it to stream stuff to my PS3. Whereas Universal Media Server works like a charm. All you have to do is start the application and bam, everything works from the get-go.

If you like the Netflix feel of organization for your library then you will like Plex.

The ability to stream to mobile devices like iOS and Android things?
The ability to stream via the internet (aka I left my PC on at home, and was watching my media on my iPad 300kms away at my parents' place.

Far better and more attractive organisation, on devices with a proper application. (PS3 can only do stock standard DLNA so it'll just be text folders, but on an Apple TV or similar, it'll have an actual graphical interface.

Vinc

Amazing. I doubt it'll be free though, but it might not be behind XBL's paywall! I hope the PS4 can get an app as well.

If you like the Netflix feel of organization for your library then you will like Plex.

More than that I love the fact that your playback stats are synced with all devices in real time. So you can stop playing a movie on a PC, pickup an ipad and continue playing where you left off.

Fox Mulder

I really wish folks would stop asking this question. The only thing on Xbox that's not behind a paywall is playing single player games. Apart from that. Everything is going to be behind the paywall. How else can MS add 'value' to Gold.

yeah, I hope that changes at E3 as part of their new push to turnaround the Xbox.

it's just so scummy and only makes it look like a negative instead of offering any value.

Ambient80

Man, some of you people are determined to suck any and all enjoyment out of this, huh? Do you get a little tingle going down your spine when doing it? A small bit of joy and excitement?

How unfortunate.

I highly doubt that being able to stream your own local content will be behind a paywall :\

And hey, we sure can't buy a Roku or FireTV in Australia. It also yet another box under the TV. Even with an AVR, HDMI ports are not exactly plentiful.

We have a winner.
I don't see why it would require Gold if your Plex server is on your LAN. I have a Synology NAS and use Plex with my PS3. As long as the PS3 is connected to my LAN, it works. I assume the XB1 would work the same (unless everything outside the console requires Gold... including LAN?)

EDIT - ninja edit, ha. I was responding to your post that Gold is required.

pestul

This is really good for XB1. I almost pulled the trigger on a lifetime membership to Plexpass yesterday ($75), but instead purchased the app on the amazon appstore for $1 for my android devices. Thankfully all my other devices are all grandfathered in with free versions because I've been using it for so long (Roku 3, Samsung Blu-Ray). I've read conflicting reports on the plex forums that even with the lifetime subscription, they may add other pay for options later. I didn't like prospect of that and just stuck with the basic apps for now.

I absolutely love how well Plex works on my Roku 3, but they really need to upgrade the interface. It will probably be amazing on XB1.

It can play mkvs through DLNA programs like PMS. No consoles will ever play mkv natively for a reason though as mkv is just a container.

W8 apps can extend the media platform and support any codec natively with hardware acceleration. And xbone apps are basically W8 apps according to Ms themselves. Unless Ms actively block media players with mkv support from the xbone store (and plex being approved is a indication they won't) xbone apps would be able to play mkv natively.

Does Plex support subtitles ?

Yes.

Qassim

Are you confusing wake on LAN with HDMI-CEC? Because the xb1 has hdmi-CEC

No, the Xbox One does not have HDMI-CEC in any way we'd actually want. It decides to use the Kinect IR blaster instead for many functions, which is supremely dumb.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I really wish folks would stop asking this question. The only thing on Xbox that's not behind a paywall is playing single player games. Apart from that. Everything is going to be behind the paywall. How else can MS add 'value' to Gold.
You're in for a long generation, methinks.

Nzyme32

Good work on stooping to console warz territory again. There is no word on any pricing or access mechanics to universal apps yet, so try your best not to diarrhoea all over the place just yet

Ploid 3.0

Tried setting up the plex on my ps4 but it seem to get stuck when trying to load the page after my server is active. It works very well on my phone. I'm thinking I have to change something in the PS4 network setting? I didn't try the PS3, my PS3 is behind a DMZ though, I doubt it would be a problem.

Prine

Banned
No, the Xbox One does not have HDMI-CEC in any way we'd actually want. It decides to use the Kinect IR blaster instead for many functions, which is supremely dumb.

Explain... Because you have to have the Kinect on? Or because you want to navigate via remote? Smartglass is being upgraded with a universal remote soon, so you can control your entire system using your phone/tablet.

A huge Megaton.

Is this the first time a game console will play MKV files?

When this gets released the Xbox One will be the dominate media player.

It is going to transcode the MKV files, not play them natively. It will be just like how you played MKV files on PS3 and Xbox 360, the Plex Server will transcode the MKV files from your networked PC.

coldfoot

Banned
Good work on stooping to console warz territory again. There is no word on any pricing or access mechanics to universal apps yet, so try your best not to diarrhoea all over the place just yet
If you spent the same effort on research as you did trying to find relatively ban-safe insults to hurl at me, you'd have seen that MS decides whether an app is made available on Xbox and they decide whether it's behind gold or not:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/universal-apps-xbox-one-microsoft-approval/
Given MS's past decisions about apps in the past, what exactly makes anyone think this won't be paywalled behind gold? MS paywalls stuff like TV guide, and Plex also connects to the internet to get movie info and ratings, very similar to the TV guide.

Top Bottom