• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex confirmed for Xbox One

Vinc

For those who don't know, Plex is basically a DLNA player that also pulls data from various online sources to add info about the media you own/play and present it well. It also remembers where you were in if you stop watching, lets you continue on other devices, etc. It basically turns all your media, regardless of source, into your own personal netflix player. It's a great piece of software, especially if you buy movies/tv shows digitally from various sources and want one place to access them all in a convenient, consistent and well presented way.

majik13

For those who don't know, Plex is basically a DLNA player that also pulls data from various online sources to add info about the media you own/play and present it well. It also remembers where you were in if you stop watching, lets you continue on other devices, etc. It basically turns all your media, regardless of source, into your own personal netflix player. It's a great piece of software, especially if you buy movies/tv shows digitally from various sources and want one place to access them all in a convenient, consistent and well presented way.

it should be added that you can access all this media on almost any device with a web browser by signing into Plex Web, and you can even share your servers with other Plex users. It also has channels(SouthPark, ESPN?, Etc)

Qassim

it should be added that you can access all this media on almost any device with a web browser by signing into Plex Web, and you can even share your servers with other Plex users. It also has channels(SouthPark, ESPN?, Etc)

Yeah - it's a very comprehensive piece of software and service. At the very basics, it's a media server - but it does a lot more and it does it quite well. Not to mention the Plex team seem to never remain stagnant - seemingly new features every month.

Redshirt

Banned
Something to note. Since the Xbox One has a BluRay drive, it will also have Cinavia protection so movies with this protection will not play through Plex.

I don't think that's necessarily true. The Cinavia protection only has to apply to Blu-ray playback, not network streaming, USB playback and so forth.

It does work that way [edit: over network streaming] on PS3 (and presumably PS4), but that's only because it's Sony being Sony. (There are workarounds on the PS3 anyway.)

majik13

I don't think that's necessarily true. The Cinavia protection only has to apply to Blu-ray playback, not network streaming, USB playback and so forth.

It does work that way on PS3 (and presumably PS4), but that's only because it's Sony being Sony. (There are workarounds on the PS3 anyway.)

no, it defiinetly activates over network streaming as well, Blur ray placback or not. It would happen with transcodes over PSM. It is only presesnt on blu ray devices, but is not limited to blu ray playback.

Edit:
It does work that way on PS3 (and presumably PS4), but that's only because it's Sony being Sony.

I read this the wrong way I beleive, or your point wasnt clearly written. I took this to mean that on ps3 it doesnt activate cinevia over the network, when I think you meant the opposite.

Well, no one's saying it's not optional to apply Cinavia to network streaming and such, but since Sony Pictures is about the only company really using it on their movies, it's not a surprise that the PS3 is applying it to everything it can.

The question is if it's required.

edited my post for clarification. i was specifically replying to its use on the PS3. But the sounds of it though PLEX seems to think it will not be an issue.

plainr_

I run everything through my Sony receiver and the receiver doesn't have HDMI-CEC. I wish my PS4 had IR.

Have your heard of Flirc? I think it works with the PS4.

Yw9HXxn.jpg

It's an IR receiver but detected as a keyboard. You can easily program this little dongle to make it work with any IR remote.

EDIT: Yep it works, just tested it just now. I needed to use an usb extension cord for the dongle however due the the design of the PS4.

EDIT 2: If anyone is interested in the PS4 keymaps for Flirc take a look at this post.

androvsky

no, it defiinetly activates over network streaming as well, Blur ray placback or not. It would happen with transcodes over PSM. It is only presesnt on blu ray devices, but is not limited to blu ray playback.

Well, no one's saying it's not optional to apply Cinavia to network streaming and such, but since Sony Pictures is about the only company really using it on their movies, it's not a surprise that the PS3 is applying it to everything it can.

Nice announcement but surely they're going to lock it down to prevent people from streaming movies and tv on it, which is primarily what I do with my Plex account.

Redshirt

Banned

It definitely activates over network streaming on the Xbox One? You've experienced that?

Also, it can be limited to just Blu-ray playback. There is nothing requiring more.

besada

Banned
Excellen news. I just set up Plex for my FireTV, so it will be nice to get it for my XB1, too. I've got multiple media servers going, and it will be nice to get rid of them. One Plex to rule them all.

Lynn616

Something to note. Since the Xbox One has a BluRay drive, it will also have Cinavia protection so movies with this protection will not play through Plex.

What does this mean? Blu-Ray backups would not work with Plex? Why? I have seen people use the "Play To" feature in Windows to play blu-ray backups on their X1.

majik13

Plex already works on PS4 web browser.

Ive only used it on WiiU, havent tried it on my PS4 though, are there cinevia issues on ps4? If there arent then I would assume there shouldnt be any on X1. Unless for whatever reason a native PLEX app would handle things different than the web version.

QaaQer

The bluray consortium has made it a requirement for all bluray certified devices to have it since 2011-ish.

QaaQer

What does this mean? Blu-Ray backups would not work with Plex? Why? I have seen people use the "Play To" feature in Windows to play blu-ray backups on their X1.

wait till it becomes widespread-->consortium will notice-->things will change. As side note, slysoft guy has been convicted of criminal offense.

Yes, for disc playback. Not necessarily for network streaming and USB media playback, which is what we were talking about.

If they want their bluray cert, they will have to play ball. Discless x1 not such a bad idea right now.

ethomaz

Banned
Ive only used it on WiiU, havent tried it on my PS4 though, are there cinevia issues on ps4? If there arent then I would assume there shouldnt be any on X1. Unless for whatever reason a native PLEX app would handle things different than the web version.
Works fine... just access myPlex website via PS4 and it works.

Edit - I guess it woks on Xbone too.

Does it require a Gold Sub to work?

Plex is a paid app on many platforms. If they have a free version behind a paywall on the xbone I'd actually prefer it.

It is going to transcode the MKV files, not play them natively. It will be just like how you played MKV files on PS3 and Xbox 360, the Plex Server will transcode the MKV files from your networked PC.

Even for streaming Plex actually a bit more supercharged than just DLNA media browsing/streaming + transcoding on Ps360.

It supports content from online providers some of which do not have a native app for any console yet (Vimeo, TED talks for instance). Plus it has some nice abstraction layer for these services that mimics a library.

And the interface is just way better than the piece of crap UI they had for last gen consoles when browsing media through a network.

If you are a paid subscriber, it's even more supercharged, because then you can upload media to various cloud storage providers (dropbox, bitcasa, etc) and stream directly from there, even when your server is off.

Prine

Banned
Works fine... just access myPlex website via PS4 and it works.

Edit - I guess it woks on Xbone too.

World of difference from accessing via browser as opposed to a native client. Think that's what the poster you quoted was refering to.

I just bought an Amazon FireTV for the nice looking Plex experience and sent back a Roku Streaming Stick because I didn't like the way Plex operated on it. I would love to see some screenshots of the XB1 app in the next 30 days or so to know if I should send the FireTV back for a refund.

hadareud

The Translator
You mean dominant.

Why this is seemingly eclipsing "definately" as the most common grammatical and/or spelling error made online baffles me. Say "dominate" out loud and then say "dominant". Notice how they sound different from one another. Which one sounds right in your sentence?

Unless you're Borat, I guess.

Fuck me.

SPDIF

I just bought an Amazon FireTV for the nice looking Plex experience and sent back a Roku Streaming Stick because I didn't like the way Plex operated on it. I would love to see some screenshots of the XB1 app in the next 30 days or so to know if I should send the FireTV back for a refund.

There's a very high change it'll just look like this

rothbart

This would be a lot more exciting if the guy developing this app was one of the official Plex developers. I've used third party Plex clients (ie. Serenity for Android/GoogleTV) and it doesn't come close to the quality of the official Plex app.

While I don't have an XBOne (and won't likely be getting one anytime soon), if they were able to put out a client on XBOne, I think that would add more pressure to getting a PS4 app as well.

From Elan from the Plex dev team about the XB1 app.

"I just wanted to clarify, because media is picking this thread up:

Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.

As you all know, we've never talked about a new platform ahead of release (ever!)"

Tyson is the guy devolving the app for XB1 for clarification.

Doodis

I've never used Plex, so I'm ignorant on its features. I currently have my PC set up as a DVR for incoming antenna TV, and stream shows to my 360 via Windows Media Center. Is it possible to stream that content via Plex? I'm pretty annoyed that Microsoft hasn't released a WMC app for X1 yet.

Reallink

I've never used Plex, so I'm ignorant on its features. I currently have my PC set up as a DVR for incoming antenna TV, and stream shows to my 360 via Windows Media Center. Is it possible to stream that content via Plex? I'm pretty annoyed that Microsoft hasn't released a WMC app for X1 yet.

Pretty sure they're never going to as they've officially abandoned WMC development. Not releasing a cheap first party HTPC/NUC set top, CC/OTA tuner, and properly marketing it many years ago is without a doubt MS's biggest blunder and oversight. They would have captured a huge percentage (if not majority) of the cable customer base if they had educated people on WMC's abilities to drop their comically outdated cable boxes and DVR rental/service charges every month for a vastly superior interface, unlimited storage, and (if it had been successful) wide spread app development.

JaggedSac

Tyson is a member of our community, but not an employee or a representative of Plex.

As you all know, we've never talked about a new platform ahead of release (ever!)"

This would be a lot more exciting if the guy developing this app was one of the official Plex developers. I've used third party Plex clients (ie. Serenity for Android/GoogleTV) and it doesn't come close to the quality of the official Plex app.

While I don't have an XBOne (and won't likely be getting one anytime soon), if they were able to put out a client on XBOne, I think that would add more pressure to getting a PS4 app as well.

lol, Tyson done goofed. Now Plex can't do a surprise announcement/release. Plus there will be an unofficial version on the store before an official version. I bet the Plex guys are scrambling to get into ID@Xbox if they have not already.

hoos30

Ha. Why can't people keep their mouth shut anymore? Twitter is a disease.

winstano

The reply I got on twitter went as far as saying "this announcement was made by a random third party, nothing to do with us"

I've been using the Web version of Plex on my PS4 since I got it, I've had 0 issues when using my laptop but my PC doesn't want to share files for some reason.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Great news. I use Plex everyday on my HTPC, Macbook and ipad. Although I personally wouldn't bother installing it on a console since practically anything can run Plex, its great for people who only have Xbone connected to TV with PC being somewhere else.

And yeah you need a separate PC to run the media server, no local play even if Xbone supported playback through USB drive.

If you're running it on Xbox one, and have your live TVs going through it, you get the pretty decent ability to launch it instantly via voice, rather than needing to switch inputs, change remotes (or use a harmony), app then sitch back afterwards.

Just removes some of those barriers and makes it simpler to dip in and out.

Also if it integrates search across your plex library that could give useful (although I tend to use on deck mostly)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is GREAT. I love Plex, although I can't see the XB1 version beating the Chromecast version for convenience. The XB1 doesn't even support HDMI-CEC and even if it did, I doubt they'd let the Xbox One listen to requests from a Plex mobile client in standby to boot up.

Ah, so Chromecast can wake up and switch HDMI inputs automatically when sent something from plex mobile? Was trying to find that out when thinking about buying a chromecast.

Can it switch back again afterwards?

Quasar

You really think someone would buy a $500+sub machine to use Plex alone?

Well depending on the fine print I'd consider it. If I can stream my BluRays (without transcoding) and bitstream the HD audio to my AVR with Plex for XBone I'd consider one (as no one of the clients for cheaper devices allow this). I'd also want my Plex library to be part of the search on the Xbox too.

It would not be the only thing I'd use it for, but its such an important part of my home entertainment setup that it would convince me to buy one. It will be like original Xbox all over again, where I only bought one once I could install XBMC on it.

Quasar

Likely. Wonder if those with Plex Pass will get app free.

The thing is, this whole announcement was made by a third party developer, not anyone from Plex. So this whole thing is likely to be a third party Plex client not an official one, and thus wouldn't be part of Plex Pass.

Raistlin

I'd care if it was a WMC extender.

Sorry MS, you lost me. I can (and have) numerous Plex clients costing a fraction of an Xbone.

Raistlin

That looks like just plugging an htpc into the hdmi-in (which has always worked) -- but yes, I'd also love the mythical softsled to show up as an xbone app.
It is simply using the HDMI in ... but includes the best config info in terms of power on, remote control setup, etc.

Server runs on your computer, organises all your movies/TV shows, auto categorises into Show/Season/Episode, grabs posters for all your films and TV show seasons, and can stream to a multitude of platforms in the best way suitable for the platform.
It automatically adjusts quality to the strength of your network (so instead of stopping to buffer every 2 minutes, it will just lower quality slightly to make it seamless instead).

I've been using it for about 2 years now, streaming to an Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, Xbox 360 and PS3 (via DLNA) and other members of the households use my server as well. It is just such an amazing media server platform.

Thought PLEX was a game at first. Upon reading the above however it sounds cool and I'm excited to test it out

Top Bottom