• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Morty is out (Mobile/pokemon-like)

El Odio

Banned
I got to the council of Ricks and so far it seems serviceable but nothing great. Moonman cover is pretty sweet though.

My guess is check the ring/mute switch or your device volume, or in the game's settings that the music/SFX volumes are all the way up. I'm on a 6s Plus - we've tested the game on the 6s and haven't seen an issue where the sound doesn't play.

Forgive me. New phone, old brain. Thanks!

fernoca

Haha!! Really cool so far.

The only thing missing and shoud've been obvious are the battle transitions with a jingle. Even just a screen flashing and Morty's head zooming in. XD

Right now it's "lets ready to battle!!!" and the screen fades to black.

Minor nitpick to a great and funny game.

Can you evolve Mortys? Is it a level thing, or do you fuse them in the daycare?

seems you gotta fuse similar mortys to get an evolved morty with better stats. Though only a few Mortys evolve. Maybe the rest only give you a better stat morty.

I'm curious if it always has to be the same two mortys or the same type. Like can I go

squirtle and squirtle =wartortle

wartortle and squirtle= blastoise?

or does it have to be two wartortles to make a blastoise.

This is tougher than I expected so far. The high cost of items versus the little money you get from battles makes it tough to afford anything. I tried to catch a Morty earlier and the chip broke. Wouldn't be a big deal except I only had enough money to buy two of the chips. In Pokemon I always had enough money to buy tons of Pokeballs, so a failed capture was never a big deal. The fact that you can't leave and get your Mortys healed at anytime also increases the difficulty.

I remember the Rick and Morty Twitter retweeted a fan-made chip tune version of "Goodbye Moon Men" months ago. Looks like it made it in the game!

This is tougher than I expected so far. The high cost of items versus the little money you get from battles makes it tough to afford anything. I tried to catch a Morty earlier and the chip broke. Wouldn't be a big deal except I only had enough money to buy two of the chips. In Pokemon I always had enough money to buy tons of Pokeballs, so a failed capture was never a big deal. The fact that you can't leave and get your Mortys healed at anytime also increases the difficulty.

it's a weird situation.

because apparently the worlds, battles and ricks are randomly generated. So you have to try and avoid the battles if the world you spawn in has an easy to get to rick.

so ive now reached a point I enter a level and see if any mortys are worth catching. if not I try to see if I can reach the rick without battling, or with the minimal amount of battles.

As to money, Im not spending it on anything besides chips. You can craft all the items, including chips, but you need the recipes

some blitsy chitz coupons that give you random items or materials, you can craft different items with the materials. Will upload pic soon. The prices aren't outrageous
710 clp = 1 USD
eAWBb9O.png

How long does it take to earn a coupon?

SuperPac

I remember the Rick and Morty Twitter retweeted a fan-made chip tune version of "Goodbye Moon Men" months ago. Looks like it made it in the game!

Actually the chiptune Goodbye Moon Men in Pocket Mortys was also in Jerry's Game (the balloon popping game) released in late 2014, before Season 2 aired. So either it's not the same version or someone took the version in Jerry's Game and called it their own. :)

or reach a rick with the minimum amount of battles.

the decision to not let you quit an area is extremely silly though.

But - if you beat the Rick in that dimension you can go back to the hub. If you're losing all your Mortys before that point in a stage, it may be time to reconsider strategy. If you could quit an area and go back to the healing center at any time without defeating the Rick there'd be no point to healing items or risk involved in traversing a dimension. You could just go back and heal after every battle.

I played until a little way into the first random world, so far it's rather fun and made well! I hope it's long enough to not beat it all in a few sittings.

Maximo

Reviewed this for TechRaptor. It makes a great first impression and then it completely falls off and becomes a slog through uninteresting and simplistic battles. I expected more out of Adult Swim Games.

This is the main problem I have with the game. Its serviceable with Pokemon like parody in its mechanics with changes here and there it keeps itself afloat due to the IP but its just that *serviceable*. Disappointing coming from Adult Swim because they have been publishing and making some REALLY good games lately, expected alittle more from them.

Edit: Just got a Wizard Morty.

I spent a measly $4 and I got some Lvl 11 Mortys in my tickets. It's a nice bonus when you get a ticket in your Blips and Chitz ball.

I'm really enjoying the game but it is pretty by the numbers/cookie cutter with levels and battles but as an Rick and Morty fan, this is pretty solid for a f2p game. I've defeated two Council of Ricks members and let me tell you, the difficulty increases in the 2nd COR battle.

Some of the Morty choices though lol.

vypek

Beat the 1st council member and have to echo that I think the money balancing seems a little off but tolerable at the moment. I'm actually surprised that this seems to heavily be resource management.

Beat the 1st council member and have to echo that I think the money balancing seems a little off but tolerable at the moment. I'm actually surprised that this seems to heavily be resource management.

I'm thinking the opposite honestly. By the time I got to purchasing the manipulator chips I had enough cash for 5 of them. The key is to not waste cash on healing items since there's no real punishment for losing and you can just go back stronger from the levels gained. I actually was just about to post how I think this is possibly one of the fairest F2P games I've tried so far since not only can you get a new morty each day without much grinding but you could get multiples in a day easily and there's no bullshit timers telling you to wait so many hours.

Zekes!

Played this for a bit earlier today. The concept is really funny and a good Parody of Pokemon. However, it just makes me want to play a better game, like Pokemon. Maybe I should give Yokai Watch a try

SuperPac

I'm thinking the opposite honestly. By the time I got to purchasing the manipulator chips I had enough cash for 5 of them. The key is to not waste cash on healing items since there's no real punishment for losing and you can just go back stronger from the levels gained. I actually was just about to post how I think this is possibly one of the fairest F2P games I've tried so far since not only can you get a new morty each day without much grinding but you could get multiples in a day easily and there's no bullshit timers telling you to wait so many hours.

It's interesting. Most of the comments I've seen are that the monetization is very fair for a F2P game (and it's entirely optional). But I just saw someone comment that the game is "fail or pay," and I want to see how that person is playing the game to understand how someone could get anywhere near *that* impression. :O

Epcott

I'm about 6 or 7 badges in. I finally made a
Gwendolyn Doll
. I was pumped, thinking it would be a perk or weapon, but I think it's just a quest item. A shame, due to wasted potential and after taking so long to craft. I suppose I could be wrong and it actually is significant?

A major gripe is that every time I enter a portal, difficulty ramps up so I can't train my Mortys from the daycare. I have level 6 and 7 Mortys I'm trying to level up and I'm facing level 10-11 enemies now. I'm also left wondering if it's wiser to just fight until you die in these portals (keeping the xp when you return to the hub) rather than leaving early to recharge before beating all roaming opponents.

vypek

Yeah? Maybe I will see that as I continue since I barely played. I didn't buy anything yet but I expected that I would start needing to and the prices were high. I guess I spoke too soon. No penalties for being completely dazed? That seems pretty fair then.

Teknoman

The overworld music random? It sounds good, but has a Xenoblade X feel where it just changes and is completely different that what you'd expect.

Kinda wish the battle music was as good as the rest of the soundtrack though...I was afraid it would be generic action music...and it is. Liking the voice samples.

BJK

For anyone concerned about the in-game economy and the cost of items, just die.

Fighting the 2nd Rick...when my Mortii are dazed, bird person takes me to the healing center. No schmeckles taken, and the XP from the fight are saved. I assume something similar happens if you black out on the outworld map....but that's not where I am right now.

My team:
Morty
Scruffy Morty
Two Cat Morty (my "lucky" prize from the first ticket.)
Red Shirt Morty

VanMastaIteHab

Neo Member
For anyone that hasn't figured out how to craft the Morty manipulation chips, you need:

Supercharged Battery
Tin Can
Circuit Board

You can make the supercharged battery with a battery and one of those paste things, I forget their name.

Wow I got so lucky on the 3rd Rick Counselor battle, his second to last Morty's attack missed and I was able to defeat him and then when he brought out the final Morty, I pulled out
The Mr.Meeseeks Box
and it was all over.

What a way to win.

Spoiler is an item spoiler.

Found a big issue with the title that bothered me to no end as someone who plays Pokemon

I combined two of the peace mortys to get a hippie morty, which was great. Until I noticed that the hippie morty is now missing his 'class' attack for some reason (aka the scissors attack).

So now I have a powerful morty that isn't even all that useful because he has 1 debuff 2 buffs and 1 standard attack that isn't all that useful.

The issue is I was never asked, as is with Pokemon, if I wanted to make him forget the attack in favor of another.

For anyone that hasn't figured out how to craft the Morty manipulation chips, you need:

Supercharged Battery
Tin Can
Circuit Board

You can make the supercharged battery with a battery and one of those paste things, I forget their name.

Turbulent Juice is comin', and you gotta take care of it.

The game starts really strong, but it peters out like a wet fart; there's not enough variety and Rick could have a few more lines on the map screen.

Hmm, this game kills my battery. I havent played it for more than 30 minutes and my battery went from 100% fresh from the wall to 75%, and the back is really warm. Note 4 here.

Top Bottom