• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Morty is out (Mobile/pokemon-like)

I try to clear each area 100% before moving back through the portal but sometimes my HP and money is so low I have to bail and go for the badge without looking everywhere, is it confirmed that you do not revisit areas? or can we do so at the end?

MUnited83

For you.
Not being able to get out of the dimension and go to the healing center is pretty bad and its not really balanced:

- They don't give you nearly enough healing and AP restoring items
-if you like to Battle everyone you will use up all your AP and you can take ages to die even on purpose, this wouldn't happen if you were allowed to go to the healing center
- Some of the dimensions have hard to find craft stations and you will need to fight too many battles to get of them

They really should at least put a rick selling supplies at the beggining of each dinension, that would fix these issues somewhat . Or a dimension healing stations that costs currency to use.

Zelias

Banned
The game starts really strong, but it peters out like a wet fart; there's not enough variety and Rick could have a few more lines on the map screen.
Yeah this is how I feel as well. It's fun enough for me to play on breaks or whatever, but it doesn't feel like it has much depth. Then again if it's depth I'm after, I'll just go play Pokemon.

vypek

Not being able to get out of the dimension and go to the healing center is pretty bad and its not really balanced:

-if you like to Battle everyone you will use up all your AP and you can take ages to die even on purpose, this wouldn't happen if you were allowed to go to the healing center

Yeah, my problem is AP based when I want to fight all people on the stage but I might skip that. Maybe fight the boss as soon as I find him and then try going around to beat other people

- Some of the dimensions have hard to find craft stations and you will need to fight too many battles to get of them

They really should at least put a rick selling supplies at the beggining of each dinension, that would fix these issues somewhat . Or a dimension healing stations that costs currency to use.

you can bring up your mortypad, and buy supplies

Played it. All it really made me want was Nintendo to make a mainline pokemon game on a competent piece of hardware. It ran, looked, and felt so much better than any handheld pokemon game to me. =/

Yeah this is how I feel as well. It's fun enough for me to play on breaks or whatever, but it doesn't feel like it has much depth. Then again if it's depth I'm after, I'll just go play Pokemon.

yeah same here. Seems very fun and for a F2P game it's pretty fantastic. The issue is that it doesn't work for long play periods.

- The variety in attacks and animations leaves much to be desired as there are essentially three animations (attack, buff, debuff). This makes the actual battles tedious. All the game has going for it is the presentation and the humor of 'oh look some funny mortys'.

-There are issues with new attacks being added to your previous morty that removes your Mortys 'type' attack (as I mentioned in my previous comment) making your morty useless. Not even being given the option of choosing which attacks gets forgotten is a major issue

-The high price on healing items basically makes it where when you enter a map you don't wanna spend money on those items because you could just as easily lose all your Mortys and get transported back to the hub world with no consequences. The money is more important for Morty control chips.

- I appreciate the spike in difficulty every time you defeat a rick as shit won't get TOO easy, but at the same time it feels like they come too often and fast, making it where you gotta spend a sizable amount of time grinding everytime you defeat a Rick because the mobs and the ricks will have jumped 2-3 levels and you have a group of 5 mortys you gotta get to that level. And with the battles not being all that fun it essentially makes it where you are forced to do this.

- With no way to return to the hub world outside of getting defeated or defeating the word's Rick I frankly feel trapped in each world and desperate to try and get back, and the best way (if not tedious) is to get defeated because I don't want another difficulty spike. I see why in theory they made it where you couldn't return because they want you to use the Rick store and the items you're getting, but it also feels like a punishment for folks like me who don't wanna spend the items fruitlessly and would rather save them up for a tough battle. I hear that at the end of the game you can enter maps willy nilly but at that point I don't know if the game has enough replayability that I'll care to do it.

- The one thing the game really has going for it, outside of the charm, is the main thing of Pokemon outside of battles: catching the Mortys. But every map only has 1-3 mortys, and I tend to get the same. Combining Mortys into an evolved form is sweet I guess, but it takes too many Mortys to get them to the second evolution (assuming they have one). Follow it up with my issues listed above of not being able to control which attack gets deleted and not being able to escape a map to go look for different mortys, and I'm essentially playing the game for an hour at most playtime due to exhaustion and being bothered.

Hey CJ, good job on the game. Never saw one episode of the series, but downloaded it after hearing you talk about it on the P1P and then seeing the thread here.

The game looks great, is easy to pick up and play (especially for people who played a Pokémon before). It is quite a fun and addicting game.

Not a fan of the pricing of the in app purchases. Would have liked to throw some small amount of money at the game as an appreciation, but for where I am in the game the in app purchases seem way overpriced (in euro). But like others already mentioned, these in app purchases are really optional and not needed at all.

One last gripe I have with the game, I can not seem to turn off the Google Gamecenter integration. Would have liked it to be an option instead of a mandatory thing.

Edit: one last thing which could easily be improved. When there is text, you have to hit the small pointer to continue. It would be great that any touch on the screen would advance the text like in most RPG's on PS Vita.

LordOfChaos

This is actually fantastic...And the funny part is how much better the visual presentation is than actual Pokemon can manage on 3DS hardware.

Imagine a proper Pokemon on current smartphone level hardware...Come on NX/mobile thingy. No weird archaic shit that we wonder how Nintendo even ordered in 2017.

If you can try and catch a blue shirt morty early, they have a paper attack worth 70 damage.

I had two pearl things that boost the attack rating of a morty and had no idea how good they were, sadly I used both on the regular morty so now he has like twice the attack power of everyone else, he is a monster lol.

Deception

So I managed to get 2 Blue Shirt Morty's to make a red shirt Morty, then after beating the 2nd council Rick I received an orange shirt Morty with my blitz and chitz ticket, well lo and behold upon entering the next world, I find a red shirt Morty running around and catch him and go back and make another orange shirt Morty and then combine my two orange shirt Mortys for a lvl 26 green shirt Morty. Thank the gaming gods I'm so OP now haha

Whelp I "beat" it.

Now I have to ....
catch em all but now I have access to the portal gun so I can come and go as I please in the levels.

At one point the shop started selling the attack defense and speed seeds for 1000 each. It's super quick to acquire money from the higher level enemies at that point so you can really pump up any Morty that you please and make an unstoppable force.

I did this with a special morty,
the one that hatches from an egg, and now I one shot everything I come across.

Durden77

Been slowly chipping away at this. It's pretty awesome but could be so much better with just a few additions. Particularly the attack animations. Just seeing that one SMACK animation over and over makes every Morty feel the same.

Also like others have said I want to 100% each world but it's a huge pain in the ass to do so. Figuring out that you can buy stuff in the world helps, but they should at least let you go back one time. And I don't know if I'll ever be able to go back to the worlds to 100% them later.

Also the crafting is tedious as hell if you actually want to figure it out yourself (which I would like to). Takes way to long to switch materials around.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Damn I really need to watch this

You definitely do. I am 37, and have not been into too many modern cartoons. Some are just pathetic. But this show is very clever, does make you pay attention, has some scientific truth and what if's based on popular theories, and is downright hilarious. Especially with the devil's lettuce.

Anywho, just downloaded this on my S6Active.

SuperPac

FYI an update was released for Pocket Mortys today that fixes the Mascot Morty bug, and adds a bunch more.

https://twitter.com/PocketMortys/status/694905656281800704

19 more to be exact about it. Also, new piece of key art that includes some new Mortys!

ppkZswl.jpg

May be worth saying here as well that there are more content updates coming that will include other features too.

Anyone know what you have to do to get Cacoon [sic] Morty to hatch? I've tried using the hibernate attack a few times but it didn't seem to do anything.

MUnited83

For you.
Game got a big update, adds multiplayer mode (completely separate from the single player campaign ) That MP mode also has trading.

SuperPac

After unlocking the Morty game, I can't seem to play this OFFLINE.

There are 2 modes now - solo campaign and multiplayer. Multiplayer can't be played offline, but the campaign can be. If you're still having problems please PM me and I'll try to help.

Top Bottom