• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PodcastGAF |OT|

vypek

Lower? No, you need more :p

I'm subscribed to like 250 podcasts

Lol I actually might end up with more at some point. I'd like to get it to the point where I don't have a ton of episodes for a single podcast in queue and I can listen to various ones. Right now I'm not making progress on the amount to listen to and I'm falling behind.

Once I get that in control I'll start adding more podcasts again :)

Wait, 250?! How do you keep up? :)

EDIT: WNYC should totally be a notable network lol

Lol I actually might end up with more at some point. I'd like to get it to the point where I don't have a ton of episodes for a single podcast in queue and I can listen to various ones. Right now I'm not making progress on the amount to listen to and I'm falling behind.

Once I get that in control I'll start adding more podcasts again :)

Wait, 250?! How do you keep up? :)
I listen to podcasts more than any other medium. If I'm awake, not doing something that needs complete focus, not watching TV or a movie, then I'm listening to podcasts. 8-9 hours a day at least

vypek

I listen to podcats more than any other medium. If I'm awake, not doing something that needs complete focus, not watching TV or a movie, then I'm listening to podcasts. 8-9 hours a day at least

Ah, that makes sense. I'm trying to squeeze in more at work but I'm having more meetings now and they end up getting interrupted and I'm not listening to as much as I'd like to. Except on weekends. Thats a different story fortunately.

Okay, so Code Switch is kind of really boring. I'll give it a few more episodes, but if it stays the way it is, I'll probably drop it.

Picked up Heavyweight, though! It's really good! Gimlet's been knocking it out of the park.

Okay, so Code Switch is kind of really boring. I'll give it a few more episodes, but if it stays the way it is, I'll probably drop it.

Picked up Heavyweight, though! It's really good! Gimlet's been knocking it out of the park.
Are you just getting into podcasts? Anything else you're listening to?

Are you just getting into podcasts? Anything else you're listening to?
No, I've been listening for a few years now. Here's my list (bolded my favorites):

This American Life
Cracked
RadioLab
More Perfect
Freakonomics
On the Media
Hardcore History
Common Sense
Invisibilia
Hidden Brain
Reply All
History on Fire
Science VS
Revisionist History

Only Human
Note to Self
How I Built This
Open for Business

Adam Ruins Everything
How to Do Everything
The Arkham Sessions
Undone (RIP)
Tell Me Something I Don't Know
The Sporkful (not yet started)
Serial
StartUp (not yet started)
The Alton Brown Cast
Crimetown
Stranglers
Heavyweight
99% Invisible

Code Switch

vypek

Code Switch has a few episodes for me too. It's somewhat hit or miss. The content isn't bad to me but the hosts don't really make me want to listen. Code Switch has a recent episode talking to Jordan Peele but that is kind of outshined when I listen to a nerdist episode that has a better interview and discussion of overlapping stuff.

No, I've been listening for a few years now. Here's my list (bolded my favorites):

===
You got good tastes! If you like American Life, Israel Story is cool. It's a similar format (well, pretty much the same, with TAL's blessing) but with stories and people from Israel

Besides Hardcore History, my favorite history podcasts are Memory Palace, The Land of Desire, History of Fire, and The Feast.

Memory Palace especially. If Hardcore History is the perfect five course meal of history, Memory Palace is the perfect espresso shot. Nate DiMeo is a great storyteller who can tell a compelling tale in a few minutes.

Code Switch has a few episodes for me too. It's somewhat hit or miss. The content isn't bad to me but the hosts don't really make me want to listen. Code Switch has a recent episode talking to Jordan Peele but that is kind of outshined when I listen to a nerdist episode that has a better interview and discussion of overlapping stuff.
Yeah, the hosts aren't very good, despite interesting subject matter, which is the same problem I had with Gastropod before I ditched it. The girl is not funny at all, and the guy is really low-energy. My hope is that it's a growing pains issue, as I'm still on the third episode.

You got good tastes! If you like American Life, Israel Story is cool. It's a similar format (well, pretty much the same, with TAL's blessing) but with stories and people from Israel

Besides Hardcore History, my favorite history podcasts are Memory Palace, The Land of Desire, History of Fire, and The Feast.

Memory Palace especially. If Hardcore History is the perfect five course meal of history, Memory Palace is the perfect espresso shot. Nate DiMeo is a great storyteller who can tell a compelling tale in a few minutes.
Thanks! I'll probably add Memory Palace and try to make some time for it. I'm the type who, when I get a new show, try to listen from the beginning (unless it's a monster like This American Life, with 600+ episodes already), so it takes me a lot of time to add stuff.

Some of the shows, like Cracked, have episodes that get increasingly longer, too. It's easy to grind through a show with 20-minute episodes, but then when they bloat to 2+ hours, it's tough. I'm glad I got on Cracked early on.

Highlights
The World According To Sound - A fascinating series, each 90 second episode featuring an unique sound and details about it, from blood rushing through a brain artery to ants walking around their tunnels
Containers - A limited series looking at how the world has been influenced by global trade
Intelligence Squared - Compelling conversations and discussions between experts on topics such as the nature of consciousness and AI, or the Ian Fleming's vs le Carre's influences on spy fiction
See Something Say Something - Personal stories about what it's like to be Muslim in America

Educational
God Trip
Lexicon Valley
Intelligence Squared
A Way With Words
Shots of History
History in the Making

Science
Soonish

Journalism
Containers
Career Day
Half Hour Intern

Serials
Rabbits

Tech
Clever

Current Events
See Something Say Something

Misc.
The World According To Sound
Good One
Hope Chest
The Competition

Dropped Code Switch (too boring). Picked up the memory palace and The Sporkful. The problem I have with the memory palace is that it's a 5-8 minute show, with the first three minutes being ads. That's up to 60% of an episode in ads—ads which are louder than the show itself, too. But yeah, the episodes are short and sweet, so I'll burn through 'em quickly.

I don't know if I'll stick with The Sporkful. The one episode I listened to was kind of trash, so I'll give it a few more. I only picked it up because a bunch of WNYC shows do collaborations with Dan Pashman.

Also, Science Vs is back!

vypek

Dropped Code Switch (too boring). Picked up the memory palace and The Sporkful. The problem I have with the memory palace is that it's a 5-8 minute show, with the first three minutes being ads. That's up to 60% of an episode in ads—ads which are louder than the show itself, too. But yeah, the episodes are short and sweet, so I'll burn through 'em quickly.

I don't know if I'll stick with The Sporkful. The one episode I listened to was kind of trash, so I'll give it a few more. I only picked it up because a bunch of WNYC shows do collaborations with Dan Pashman.

Also, Science Vs is back!

I really don't want to drop Code Switch cause I feel like the content isn't bad but it's presented poorly and the hosts aren't exactly pulling me on. I'm on the edge of unsubscribing. It seems hosts are going to make or break podcasts for me

I really don't want to drop Code Switch cause I feel like the content isn't bad but it's presented poorly and the hosts aren't exactly pulling me on. I'm on the edge of unsubscribing. It seems hosts are going to make or break podcasts for me
I honestly felt the same way, but I found that I just didn't want to listen to the next episode each time and even started to zone out when listening because the hosts were so bad.

Picked up S-Town. It hasn't started yet, though, but I'm excited.

Open for Business is back, as well.
Yeah, S-Town seems pretty interesting

===

Highlights
Historium - A good history podcast reminiscent of Memory Palace in terms of storytelling cadence
Beware & Warning - Fun series where the host and guest go through CYOA books, riffing along the way
Snap Judgement - Powerful engrossing gripping stories
Civics 101 - A welcome refresher on timely topics like what the Chief of Staff does or what Executive Orders are

Educational
Historium
Human Circus
Queens

Science
Future Tense
Useful Science
Completely Optional Knowledge

Journalism
Home: Stories From LA
The Journal
Snap Judgement

True Crime
Intrigue
Court Junkie

Gaming
Unconsoleable

Humor
Beware & Warning

Film/TV/Music
Crybabies

Tech
pluspluspodcast
Speaking of Design

Current Events
Civics 101
With Friends Like These

Misc
This Won't Hurt A Bit
On Being

Nelo Ice

Banned
So been listening to way more podcasts lately and was using overcast because it was free. Just made the jump to pocket casts on iOS and omfg I should have jumped ship sooner. The UI alone is gorgeous but love how I can set rewind and fast forward times.

So been listening to way more podcasts lately and was using overcast because it was free. Just made the jump to pocket casts on iOS and omfg I should have jumped ship sooner. The UI alone is gorgeous but love how I can set rewind and fast forward times.
Yeah, Pocket Casts is like nearly unanimously liked here. I really like its icon-focused UI way better than the other apps I've tried, and it's always being updated with features and improvements

NMFried

New episode of Superhero Assembly Line is up!

https://soundcloud.com/superheroassemblyline

Can't believe we just hit 30 episodes. We're trying our hardest to get picked up by a network right now, and have pitched to Earwolf, Maximum Fun, Nerdist. So if you're a fan, please consider tweeting at these networks or sending them emails asking for us them to bring us in.

Enjoy!

Oh! And as always: reviews on iTunes are literally the greatest thing you could offer, ever. Please.

swarley64

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but 'The Koy Pond' podcast from comedian Jo Koy is consistently hilarious and really helps me get through my week. Check it out!

Highlights
Ask Historians - Podcast for the subreddit of the same name, interviews with historians about interesting topics like the medieval armor industry/guilds
One Perfect Pod - A decent new film discussion series, exploring new releases, cinematography, and other topics
Papertrail - Authors talk about their favorite books and what those works means to them

Educational
Ask Historians
The History of Literature
Unwound
Killing Time
Something True

Science
Moonshot

Journalism
S-Town
The Grift
Reckonings
Outdoor Explorer

Gaming
The Dialog Box

Humor
Your Kickstarter Sucks

Serials
Public Domain Universe
Dead Oaks

Film/TV/Music
One Perfect Pod

Misc
Overdue
Papertrail
Bay Curious

Chuckman

Beyond the Darkness.

I've just recently subscribed to this podcast. It's a paranormal talk podcast with topics similar to what you'd hear on Coast to Coast. I've really been enjoying it for something new. The paranormal stuff piques my interests and it's a nice change of pace from just gaming podcasts.

It's now a daily podcast so there's plenty to listen to.

thornghost

Neo Member
Hey everybody, I run the podcast Video Death Loop which is linked in the Misc section up in the OP. I just wanted to say that I appreciate the link and if anybody has any suggestions or comments I'd dig hearing them.

Brakke

Banned
The Canon is coming back. Faraci's still away, but Amy Nicholson is going to mix up the format and bring in weekly (?) guests. She's promised Paul Scheer and Armond White already.

Highlights
Adlandia - A series about the advertising industry, with insider interviews and discussions on its effects and the effects on it due to current issues
Inside Psycho - Looking at the influences behind and behind-the-scenes tales of Hitchcock's famous film
Entwined - A discussion on interconnected people, place, ideas, and stories through history
Scene on Radio - Journalism series examining a new topic each season, from the connections between sports and culture to race relations

Educational
American Biography
The Secret History of Art
Threshold
The Story Behind
1001 Heroes, Legends, Histories & Mysteries

Journalism
Curious City
Adlandia
Scene on Radio
Baltimore: The Rise of Charm City
Entwined
Let's Find Out

Film/TV/Music
Inside Psycho

Current Events
1A

Misc.
On Display

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
going to add some new stuff based off MB's recs:

Beware & Warning
The Film Reroll

Any other similar 'jokey story podcasts' I should check out?

Also, any great Japan-centric podcasts?

going to add some new stuff based off MB's recs:

Beware & Warning
The Film Reroll

Any other similar 'jokey story podcasts' I should check out?

Also, any great Japan-centric podcasts?
True Crime Japan, especially when most true crime podcasts seem to focus on US, UK, or Australia

GRW810

Discovered a new podcast this week called The Pessimist Archive. The premise is that in each episode the host investigates the moral panic and the predicted social, cultural and economical consequences of inventions at the time they were released.

For example, the first episode looks at the Walkman and how people feared it would lead to the downfall of society because everyone was becoming reclusive. It also discusses the fear people had about the safety of people walking about distracted by sound.

I've only listened to that opening episode but I really enjoyed it.

Saladinoo

Just chiming in, been listening to The history of Japan recently by Isaac Meyer. As someone that never really cared about history, but loves Japan, I'm enjoying it. I'm going through it in chronological order to try to get a good overview of Japanese history. it demands concentration though, which makes it hard to listen to while working, I keep finding myself flicking back 30 seconds about 50 times each episode, but I'm enjoying it.

Anyone else trying to learn about Japanese history?

Jhoan

WNYC's Shumita Basu published an article of a handful of super niche podcasts that she listened to. All of them sound really interesting. Here's a few:

"The Pen Addict": Just two buddies, talking about pens and pen-adjacent accessories. Scroll through their five-year-long podcast feed and you'll see that there's so much more than just "fountain vs. ballpoint."
"Plugged In": This podcast from the utility Con Edison is about the energy industry. One episode features a surprisingly woke conversation with female executives about the movie Hidden Figures
"All's Fair"
: This is the official podcast from last year's New York State Fair which, while promotional, offers an unvarnished glimpse at the food and chaos that the fair has to offer.

There's another one about beef and and another in which lesser known actors who starred in big films are interviewed. You can see the full list here and find more by searching for #nichecasts on Twitter: http://www.wnyc.org/story/super-niche-podcasts/

Also, did you know that Bernie Sanders has a podcast? Neither did I until I saw Patrick Klepek retweet it on Twitter. It's simply called The Bernie Sanders Show and is approximately 4 episodes in now. Episode 2's guest is Bill Nye which should be a fun one. There's also an official Riverdale podcast simply called Riverdale After Show where the creative team talks with with one of the actors after each episode. It was shared in the show's OT so if you like Riverdale, then the podcast will provide more insight into behind the scenes stuff and analyze each episode.

I'll also recommend Radio Ambulante for anyone who likes This American Life but set around Latin America stories. It's available in Spanish there's a translated English version of the show as well. I listen to it in the former language because I speak and understand it.

I'm happy to see Risk! on the list. It's my favorite true storytelling podcast after The Moth. I like how unhinged it is because it means we get a wide range of stories from all walks of life depending on the theme. I pitched them a story once early last year but they said it didn't fit into what they were looking for.

Lastly I got back into listening to Team GFB Radio. If you liked Dave Lang on Giant Bomb, then you'll like him more here because he tells hilarious travel stories or everyday musings and talks about games he's been playing. He plays well off his co-host, Darryl Wisner who's sometimes MIA; there's episodes where Lang is MIA and a guest is brought in.

Hello from the Magic Tavern is so good. Been binging it all week.
I love it. And they're surprisingly dedicated to continuity

WNYC's Shumita Basu published an article of a handful of super niche podcasts that she listened to. All of them sound really interesting. Here's a few:

There's another one about beef and and another in which lesser known actors who starred in big films are interviewed. You can see the full list here and find more by searching for #nichecasts on Twitter: http://www.wnyc.org/story/super-niche-podcasts/
Nice. Articles like this are great; I love how you get informed on so many niche and varied topics through podcasts

And yeah, I can vouch for most of those. I Was There Too is fascinating, so many great stories, and Beef and Dairy Network is some great absurd humor

Chorazin

Man, Hello from the Magic Tavern has been real rough with the start of Season 2. I used to look forward to listening to it but now I can't even finish an episode. :/

Acorn

Anyone else finding podcasts have fast become your favourite form of entertainment?

There's something about putting on earphones and sinking into a good podcast that feels personal and unique. Live episodes lose this effect though and are generally shit to listen to.

Anyone else finding podcasts have fast become your favourite form of entertainment?

There's something about putting on earphones and sinking into a good podcast that feels personal and unique. Live episodes lose this effect though and are generally shit to listen to.
Have been since last year. I listen to podcasts more than I listen to music, watch TV, play games, read book, see movies, etc. It helps that you can listen while doing other things or activities and they can fit into any time slot from the short ones to listen while walking to the hours-long Hardcore History episodes

I think that, along with books, podcasts is the most customizable medium, the one you can filter down to your exact interests. Right now I'm listening to a podcast specifically focused on the history of humans in Antarctica. After that, a miniseries about the growth and cultural impact of international trade. My mom solely listens to health podcasts. My brother listens to Walking Dead discussion. Some people only like true crime, others enjoy comedy or audio dramas or gaming or politics

Plus they're free

alternade

No love for The Read?? Cmon man. Seriously though, this is one the funniest black/pop/lgbt culture podcasts ive listened to. Crissle is so good when she goes off on subjects like Rachel Dolezal, Trump winning, and basically anything to do with fuckboys.

thisistheread.com
avatars-000051152214-37az46-t500x500.jpg

Matty77

Yup. I pretty much am always listening unless reading or watching TV/Movies.

If there is a subject I am interested in I am just as likely to search podcasts as google it.

And yeah most live pods are not as good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
been making my way through The Dollop

my god this is amazing! The Rube, episode 12, is a wonderful intro to it. two comedians do a deep dive into a story from America's bizarre history. 10/10.

yeah, i love em. it's also nice to have a screen-less entertainment after staring at monitors for 40+ hours a week

been making my way through The Dollop

my god this is amazing! The Rube, episode 12, is a wonderful intro to it. two comedians do a deep dive into a story from America's bizarre history. 10/10
Love The Dollop, so many amazing and fascinating stories

What are you up to?

Cyan

Banned

I like podcasts but find it pretty hard to actually stop and listen to them. Always feel like I should be doing something else while I listen, and if I'm doing something that takes up similar brainspace (e.g. reading forums on the internet) I can't do both at once.

I've found that podcasts have replaced music for me, but they still aren't really something I listen to when I'm not driving. I'm hitting the point where, unless some shows go on break, my backlog keeps growing.

Top Bottom