• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusteepot

Cognition is also a murder mystery with a female police protagonist

Cognition_An_Erica_Reed_Thriller_cover.jpg

I wouldn't recommend Cognition though; story is sub-par and it feels generally unpolished.

If you are looking for murder mysteries / crime with a female non-police protagonist, I would recommend the Blackwell series.

If gender isn't an issue, GK 1 or The Last Door.

inm8num2

My Steam nominations... Notice a trend? :D

I also went for an adventure game sweep. :)

Not sure if I can consider Maniac Mansion inside DoTT a "mini game". Otherwise I'd probably throw The Slaughter: Act One in there for using shove ha'penny.

Regarding Phantasmagoria for best use of a farm animal, yes I am a sick bastard. Plus I couldn't really think of anything else, other than Harvester which I haven't played but correctly assumed has a slaughterhouse.

The Dude

Haven't read thru the whole thread but hoping there are some more Gray Matter fans, really enjoyed that game. Loved the magic aspects

Gorger

I wouldn't recommend Cognition though; story is sub-par and it feels generally unpolished.

If you are looking for murder mysteries / crime with a female non-police protagonist, I would recommend the Blackwell series.

If gender isn't an issue, GK 1 or The Last Door.

Different taste I guess, I loved Cognition. GK1 I would warmly recommend, one of my favorite point and clicks of all time. Just get the old version first not the 20 year anniversary.

Another series he can try out is Memento Mori
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/59733/ though it's not on the level of Still Life. I enjoyed the second game more, as you get points on how thorough you are in your investigation which also affects the ending.

Orgen

I know its not TT just made the remark because I thought its a very similar experience..

I figure the Life is Strange comment is because the game's structure is just like Telltale's right down to the X WILL REMEMBER THIS prompts and the almost total lack of puzzles. I think it's far better than Telltale's games but the similarities are there.

As for Gemini Rue, it has a great sense of style and visual design. It's a bit overrated though. I never really clicked with the characters.

Yep, it went over my head (not having played LiS also helped). So Gemini Rue seems to have a mixed opinion here on GAF? Maybe I'll buy the Silent Age then :p

Yep, it went over my head (not having played LiS also helped). So Gemini Rue seems to have a mixed opinion here on GAF? Maybe I'll buy the Silent Age then :p

It has mixed opinions, but they mostly range from ok to great, so if anyone who has the time should give it a try. It's stylish, with an interesting story, but it just isn't as memorable as the great games of the genre.

Gemini Rue is ok.

Back when I played it, it was a bit buggy (years ago, so this may well have since been fixed), and the shooting mechanic was a bit silly. But the story was pretty decent.

Gemini Rue is ok.

Back when I played it, it was a bit buggy (years ago, so this may well have since been fixed), and the shooting mechanic was a bit silly. But the story was pretty decent.

Kinda reminded me of Blade Runner adventure game so bought it. I wish Blade Runner was available.. Glad I have two physical copies of it. Possibly the best adventure experimce (if not overall best adventure gane) I played..

rusteepot

Gemini Rue is ok.

I have a soft spot for Gemini Rue but I gotta admit, Technobabylon is the superior out of the two.

rusteepot

Different taste I guess, I loved Cognition. GK1 I would warmly recommend, one of my favorite point and clicks of all time. Just get the old version first not the 20 year anniversary.

Another series he can try out is Memento Mori
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/59733/ though it's not on the level of Still Life. I enjoyed the second game more, as you get points on how thorough you are in your investigation which also affects the ending.

Oh yes, definitely the original version.

And if OP is okay with a Telltale-lesque experience, The Wolf Among Us is definitely a must-play.

Fjordson

Gemini Rue is incredible and one of my favourite point & clicks ever. Worth whatever the full price is and a no-brainer at $2 on Steam.

MBison

Are there any obscure-ish adventure titles to pick up on the current steam sale? I probably have most stuff but just curious about anything I may be overlooking.

So earlier today I finally finished Syberia for the first time. I originally purchased and started the game when it released back in 2002 and really loved the story and atmosphere, but for whatever reason I never got too far. I picked up Syberia (and the sequel) on Steam a few years ago but didn't get around to playing again until about a month ago, playing it casually until finally finishing it today.

It would be difficult for me to give a review based on my long history with the game. It was a bittersweet feeling to finish it nearly 15 years after first playing it, but in the end I'm kind of glad to have experienced it that way. Some of the themes, characters, and locations probably resonated with me more because of the length of time that had passed since my first encounter with the game. Hopefully I can finish Syberia II in far less time than it took me to finish the original, because I'd really love to see how far they've come with Syberia III when it releases next year.

Yeah, Syberia I is pretty good.

It's quite a while since I beat it myself, but I remember liking the puzzles, the story, the music and the enviroments. Stiff 3D models for the characters like in this game, that were so common for games back then, did bother mer, but not enough to put me off the gaem.

Naeval

Wow, nice thread.

Just a couple of questions:

A) Why "Point & Click Adventure "? Why not "Graphical adventure". There are several games in the list that are not "point & click".
B) How many of these games have been "good for the company". For example, Kathy Rain it is a really nice graphical adventure, but it seems it didn't sell well.

Fonds

Wow, nice thread.

A) Why "Point & Click Adventure "? Why not "Graphical adventure". There are several games in the list that are not "point & click".
B) How many of these games have been "good for the company". For example, Kathy Rain it is a really nice graphical adventure, but it seems it didn't sell well.

A) Most if not all of these games are heavily inspired by the popular Point and Click genre, even if they're not entirely point and click.

B) I wouldn't have an answer to that one.

Card Boy

Banned
I won't do next years thread, I will leave it up to you guys who wants to do it. These threads take way too much time even its copy and pasting info and screenshots.

Tizoc

I won't do next years thread, I will leave it up to you guys who wants to do it. These threads take way too much time even its copy and pasting info and screenshots.

Just ask a mod to change the thread title to 'Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017'
I think the Laptop thread did the same thing.

Boem

Wow, nice thread.

A) The definition for these kinds of games has always been a little hazy. I mean, these days all games are 'graphical' (that's a holdover from the days when pure text games were more common), and people often call games like Zelda or Uncharted adventure games, even though they're obviously not in the same genre as the games discussed here.

Point & Click Adventure is of course not entirely accurate (even going back to the days of Lucasarts adventures, some games like early King's Quest were definitely the same genre but direct control & typing commands, for example). And these days the genre is pretty wide ranging, with a lot of different control methods. What defines these games? Puzzles? Something like Telltale's recent games or Gone Home aren't about puzzles, it's all about narrative. And then you have games with very little narrative and lots of puzzles on the other side.

What 'counts' for this genre isn't quite as easily defined the longer we go on, and that makes it harder to find the right term for it. I think people are still used to 'point & click adventures' even if that's not at all accurate for a lot of these games anymore, but the term 'adventure games' is still more widely used for other games. It doesn't really matter in the end I suppose, we all know what we're talking about.

B) Telltale does really well with most of their games, which of course helps because of the IP's they're using. Probably the most financially successful company in this genre right now. Some smaller companies doing smaller games (like Wadjet Eye) seem to do well enough to continue to make games like this over the years of course, but it's doubtful they'll ever reach the size of a more traditional big gaming company. The genre simply is very niche compared to others. Sometimes even brand recognition isn't even enough, I don't think even King's Quest (which was actually pretty nice and had quite a big budget for an adventure game, including some big name voice actors like Christopher Lloyd) sold well at all.

The Double Fine remakes of old Lucas Adventures seem to do well enough for Sony (and Disney) to keep investing in more, so there's that. Of course that company is by itself a pretty big name.

Tizoc

King's Quest 2015 sits at 250K owners on Steam at least, so it likely did good enough.
It was $9 in a few sites recently, and some time last year it was mispriced at $10 too.

Boem

King's Quest 2015 sits at 250K owners on Steam at least, so it likely did good enough.
It was $9 in a few sites recently, and some time last year it was mispriced at $10 too.

Ah right, I'm happy to be mistaken about how it did. I never really heard much about it anywhere, so I was afraid of it falling between the cracks.

Even though I was never that much of a Sierra fan growing up, I'd love to see their take on some of the other Sierra series.

Some of the newer adventures I've finished recently for the first time are The Blackwell Series, Kathy Rain and just couple of days ago Yesterday Origins and I did enjoy all of them.

The Blackwell
is the one that had most emotional impact on me and especially the last episode. Overall the series had some uneven moments but got better as it went on and I ended up really liking the characters. Good series as a whole with a great final episode.

Kathy Rain wasn't very original but I found the mystery intriguing most of the time and it did help a lot that it was heavily inspired by some of my favorites like Gabriel Knight and Twin Peaks. A good old school adventure in my opinion.

Yesterday Origins I ended up liking more than I expected and I thought the plot was quite interesting and characters likeable. This had some surprisingly dark moments and dark humor, even though the tone was quite light at a time as well also I liked how different setting and tone some of the chapters had. The game was quite linear and had some minor technical issues but definitely a nice surprise for me.

Next up planning to start Silence: The Whispered World 2

Some of the newer adventures I've finished recently for the first time are The Blackwell Series, Kathy Rain and just couple of days ago Yesterday Origins and I did enjoy all of them.

The Blackwell
is the one that had most emotional impact on me and especially the last episode. Overall the series had some uneven moments but got better as it went on and I ended up really liking the characters. Good series as a whole with a great final episode.

Kathy Rain wasn't very original but I found the mystery intriguing most of the time and it did help a lot that it was heavily inspired by some of my favorites like Gabriel Knight and Twin Peaks. A good old school adventure in my opinion.

Yesterday Origins I ended up liking more than I expected and I thought the plot was quite interesting and characters likeable. This had some surprisingly dark moments and dark humor, even though the tone was quite light at a time as well also I liked how different setting and tone some of the chapters had. The game was quite linear and had some minor technical issues but definitely a nice surprise for me.

Next up planning to start Silence: The Whispered World 2

I just started up the first Blackwell game myself after finishing Syberia. It's only the second Wadjet Eye game I've played, but I'm already enjoying it a bit more than Gemini Rue. All the other games you mentioned are also on my to-play list!

Alastor3

Help me choose a point and click to play! I have so many in my library but I always push them because i know I love P&C so much!

Technobabylone
Primordia
The Last Express
Cognition (was a beta test, beside the clunkyness, liked the gruesome story)
A Golden Wake
Grim Fandango
Knock Knock
The Last Door
The order of the thorne
Oxenfree
Puzzle Agent
Resonence

.... Shit didn't realised I had so much...

Boem

Help me choose a point and click to play! I have so many in my library but I always push them because i know I love P&C so much!

Technobabylone
Primordia
The Last Express
A Golden Wake
Grim Fandango
Knock Knock
The Last Door
The order of the thorne
Oxenfree
Puzzle Agent
Resonence

Depends what you're looking for really, because they're pretty different. From the ones I played:

1) Last Express - one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not for everyone. Basically, the idea is that the game progresses in real time - so if you sit around doing nothing, all the characters in the game will continue doing their thing, and their stories will progress. You can't be everywhere at once so you're basically walking around, in and out of conversations and events. Sometimes that necessarily means you mess up and have to rewind time a bit. It's something very special and well worth the time, I think.

2) Grim Fandango - Tim Schafer's best game (imo), and the best Lucasarts adventure (again, imo). Fantastic remake. One warning: avoid the commentary tracks included in the game the first time through, as they inevitably spoil some later events and puzzle solutions (although a lot of it is very informative and at times hilarious). A must-play for any fan of the genre, a true classic.

3) Oxenfree - newer, and also a lot of fun. Very narrative based, with dialogue choices. Made by ex-Telltalers, but you can tell this was made by a smaller team (in a good way) and without the constraints of an existing IP. Very Much recommended.

4) Puzzle Agent - a little different: the puzzles take the form of Layton-style puzzles (think the kind of puzzles you'd see in a supermarket puzzle book), while you walk around and talk to characters in classic adventure game style. Fantastic style, a mix between Fargo, Twin Peaks and Grickle's comic books and youtube cartoons (see the cartoon that inspired the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5lB-RoAi4. That's the style for the entire game (his entire channel is great if you're into that stuff.

Those are the 4 of that list that I've played. I would all recommend them, and in that order (although Last Express, while still my #1, requires a bit more effort to get into. If it's too much, start with Grim for a pure classic or Oxenfree if you want something newer).

Alastor3

Depends what you're looking for really, because they're pretty different. From the ones I played:

1) Last Express - one of my favorite games of all time, but it's not for everyone. Basically, the idea is that the game progresses in real time - so if you sit around doing nothing, all the characters in the game will continue doing their thing, and their stories will progress. You can't be everywhere at once so you're basically walking around, in and out of conversations and events. Sometimes that necessarily means you mess up and have to rewind time a bit. It's something very special and well worth the time, I think.

2) Grim Fandango - Tim Schafer's best game (imo), and the best Lucasarts adventure (again, imo). Fantastic remake. One warning: avoid the commentary tracks included in the game the first time through, as they inevitably spoil some later events and puzzle solutions (although a lot of it is very informative and at times hilarious). A must-play for any fan of the genre, a true classic.

3) Oxenfree - newer, and also a lot of fun. Very narrative based, with dialogue choices. Made by ex-Telltalers, but you can tell this was made by a smaller team (in a good way) and without the constraints of an existing IP. Very Much recommended.

4) Puzzle Agent - a little different: the puzzles take the form of Layton-style puzzles (think the kind of puzzles you'd see in a supermarket puzzle book), while you walk around and talk to characters in classic adventure game style. Fantastic style, a mix between Fargo, Twin Peaks and Grickle's comic books and youtube cartoons (see the cartoon that inspired the game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5lB-RoAi4. That's the style for the entire game (his entire channel is great if you're into that stuff.

Those are the 4 of that list that I've played. I would all recommend them, and in that order (although Last Express, while still my #1, requires a bit more effort to get into. If it's too much, start with Grim for a pure classic or Oxenfree if you want something newer).

Wow! Thanks a lot for your time!

I just started up the first Blackwell game myself after finishing Syberia. It's only the second Wadjet Eye game I've played, but I'm already enjoying it a bit more than Gemini Rue. All the other games you mentioned are also on my to-play list!

Happy to hear you're already enjoying it, took for me a while to get into the story and the characters but the more I played the more I liked it. Personally I think the game gets better as it progresses.

Technobabylone
Primordia
The Last Express
A Golden Wake
Grim Fandango
Knock Knock
The Last Door
The order of the thorne
Oxenfree
Puzzle Agent
Resonence

I've played a bit under half of the games on that list and I'd definitely recommend Grim Fandango (Maybe not surprisingly). It's one of the all time classics of the genre and has some of the most memorable characters and locations in gaming. Personally it's on my top 3 games of all time.

epmode

Oh man, if you're liking the first game, you're going to love the series. Blackwell is so great.

Good iOS ports too. Every Wadjet Eye games plays well on tablets (haven't tried a phone).

Oh man, if you're liking the first game, you're going to love the series. Blackwell is so great.

Good iOS ports too. Every Wadjet Eye games plays well on tablets (haven't tried a phone).

Nice, I just finished the first one (Blackwell Legacy) tonight playing on an iPhone 6 plus. It was a great port - felt very complete and apparently there's a full commentary track too. It's short enough that I might run through it again listening to that. I definitely liked the setup and the characters so I'm excited to see where the series goes!

Nudull

Banned
It's been a while since I've played some old-school PnCs. Think I'm going to pick some up during the Winter Sale. I know I've been eyeing the Lucasarts Pack and I Have No Mouth.

Naeval

B) Telltale does really well with most of their games, which of course helps because of the IP's they're using. Probably the most financially successful company in this genre right now. Some smaller companies doing smaller games (like Wadjet Eye) seem to do well enough to continue to make games like this over the years of course, but it's doubtful they'll ever reach the size of a more traditional big gaming company. The genre simply is very niche compared to others. Sometimes even brand recognition isn't even enough, I don't think even King's Quest (which was actually pretty nice and had quite a big budget for an adventure game, including some big name voice actors like Christopher Lloyd) sold well at all.

The Double Fine remakes of old Lucas Adventures seem to do well enough for Sony (and Disney) to keep investing in more, so there's that. Of course that company is by itself a pretty big name.

It is a pitty that if you are not previously famous your game won't succed albeit it is good. For example: Mechanika - http://store.steampowered.com/app/384680/ - it has a 94% of appreciation on Steam, and with a good amount of users. But it has not sell really well (appart from bundles).

rusteepot

Technobabylone
Primordia
The Last Express
A Golden Wake
Grim Fandango
Knock Knock
The Last Door
The order of the thorne
Oxenfree
Puzzle Agent
Resonence

If you are looking for a good short adventure that can be finished in one or two gaming sessions, go with Oxenfree first. The Last Door is also relatively short and can be finished quite quickly iirc.

Wadjet Eye projects are usually slightly longer but still great so you can take those next.

Puzzle Agent is not too shabby but plays like a mobile game (can't remember whether it was ported over to PC or vice versa).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom