• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Bigger Than Ever Before!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

The little acre out today. Anyone got any impressions. Pretty cheap on PS4

I've read that it is a short game.
Looking at its price point, I hope it'll go for around $10 during Winter Seal. I'd bite at that price.

Also I need Telltale Batman to hit $15 or less already @o@

Mr_Zombie

I have that on GOG, never played it. Worth playing? I loved Beneath a Steel Sky, same studio I think?

You mean Flight of the Amazon Queen? Then no. FotAQ was developed by Interactive Binary Illusions, while Beneath a Steel Sky was developed by Revolution Software of Broken Sword's fame. As for the game itself... it's OK-ish. It's a pastiche of Indiana Jones-like adventure games/movies, but the humor was a hit and miss for me, often felt very forced. It's definitely not LucasArts (or even Sierra) level of humor.

The puzzles were OK, although there was a lot of backtracking. Sometimes you have to go to the other end of the island (several screens) just to pick up a single item and then go back. And there's nothing to do in the meantime (meaning you don't need to interact with anything else or talk to anyone else).

So if you ask me, play it only if you don't have any better adventure game to play currently.

Ullus

headerhhstr.jpg

Fair warning for this game, picked it up for cheap during the autumn sale but had to drop it halfway through. It is a direct IOS port with terrible hotspot detection. No idea how they managed to mess it up so badly.
Puzzles are pretty straight forward from what I played through except for one part where you had to hold up a glass tube in-front of lightning to see what's inside of it. Even though just moments earlier you assembled a flashlight.

Right so after beating Flight of Amazon Queen I will finally begin playing, for the first time, Gabriel Knight 1.

Despite being a fan of this genre since the Amiga 500, I only played and beat Gabriel Knight 1 a couple of years ago. Thought it was great. Very difficult, and I thought it had to many places open at once that were irrelevant just at that moment, but I still enjoyed it. The music is awesome.

inm8num2

If you missed or passed on the Humble Sierra Bundle back in August/September, there's now a bundle directly on Steam.

The included adventure games are:
  • Gabriel Knight trilogy
  • King's Quest Collection
  • King's Quest 2015 (minus the epilogue that only comes with the season pass)
  • Phantasmagoria 1+2
  • Police Quest Collection
  • Police Quest: SWAT
  • Quest for Glory Collection
  • Space Quest Collection
The bundle also includes:
  • Arcanum
  • Betrayal at Krondor
  • Betrayal in Antara
  • Caesar III
  • Caesar IV
  • Geometry Wars 3
  • Pharaoh + Cleopatra
  • Return to Krondor
  • TimeShift
  • Zeus + Poseidon

$20.61 for all of those games is a damn good deal. The best part is the bundle takes into account what you already own, so if you did get that Humble Sierra Bundle you can complete the pack for much less.

Offer ends January 2.

ubique

Man, I hope the finished product looks a lot better then that.

DOTT looked better in the end, so I guess there's hope. Feels like DF are vectorising and then adding in detail by hand later, I guess they've only done the former so far for FT.

Wish these had big enough budgets for a full remake.

Yeah it's just not looking as good as the original, but please don't ask for a full remake, or we're gonna get a Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition type of monstrosity

Yeah it's just not looking as good as the original, but please don't ask for a full remake, or we're gonna get a Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition type of monstrosity

Meant just art wise, just a faithful redraw of the original art into HD resolutions.

Please don' t remind me about the gabe remake, that was....not good.

I recently finished technobabylon and it was a great experience.Wadjet Eye Games makes awesome point and click games.

That wasn't one of their internal ones, but they do have a great eye for which games to support and publish.

Man, I hope the finished product looks a lot better then that.

DOTT looked better in the end, so I guess there's hope. Feels like DF are vectorising and then adding in detail by hand later, I guess they've only done the former so far for FT.

Wish these had big enough budgets for a full remake.

A full remake of a game like this is a landmine for the devs to walk around in. Pretty much no one will be satisfied with it.

And a faithful redraw, isn't that what they're doing? For DOTT Remastered they did redraw every frame.

A full remake of a game like this is a landmine for the devs to walk around in. Pretty much no one will be satisfied with it.

And a faithful redraw, isn't that what they're doing? For DOTT Remastered they did redraw every frame.

The characters did not look good. If they actually redid them by hand and not vectorised /w details added afterwards, they didn't do a very good job.

The characters did not look good. If they actually redid them by hand and not vectorised /w details added afterwards, they didn't do a very good job.

In DOTT Remastered? That's one opinion, I guess. It was very well received overall, but if you didn't like it, then I understand the scepticism towards the Full Throttle Remaster.

Finished Batman yesterday and am in the middle of Game of Thrones. GoT is way too much conversation in comparison, so much so, Im just waiting for each chapter to end

RAIDEN1

I think that overall it doesn't look bad the Full Throttle re-make, its a miracle in itself that we will be able to play it on today's systems, as along with the original and the ill-fated attempts to get a sequel to the game, it was looking like the game had long had its run and wasn't about to ever make a comeback....and as mentioned outside of getting a TRUE sequel which as we know is likely not to happen...then this is the best we could hope for...

Its not as if it looks hideous with the new coat of paint..it looks as good as Monkey Island 3 which still holds up to this day...fortunately there will be a option to go back to the graphics of 1995..so all is not lost...

For me the 95 graphics have a charm of their own..despite the pixellated look...and I much prefer this art-style than what they went with from Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango onwards..

I think someone mentioned here that it would be great if they could have included all the content they left out previously but looks like even that won't happen...

On another note does anyone know where to get the CD version of Beneath a Steel sky that would work on Windows 8.1? I may have asked the question here a long while ago before...but the version on GOG has the hideous sound of the Disk version...without the CD quality background music...

Tizoc

So I want to play Gabriel Knight 1 in windowed mode when I run it from GOG via DOSBox.
What should I change up int he DOSBox config. file to do this? Also what is the best Scaling engine for umm 'less pixelated' or best look?

Knurek

So I want to play Gabriel Knight 1 in windowed mode when I run it from GOG via DOSBox.
What should I change up int he DOSBox config. file to do this? Also what is the best Scaling engine for umm 'less pixelated' or best look?

fullscreen=true change to fullscreen=false

TV2X is the scaler I'd use, or to be more specific: scaler=tv2x forced

I think that overall it doesn't look bad the Full Throttle re-make, its a miracle in itself that we will be able to play it on today's systems, as along with the original and the ill-fated attempts to get a sequel to the game, it was looking like the game had long had its run and wasn't about to ever make a comeback....and as mentioned outside of getting a TRUE sequel which as we know is likely not to happen...then this is the best we could hope for...

Its not as if it looks hideous with the new coat of paint..it looks as good as Monkey Island 3 which still holds up to this day...fortunately there will be a option to go back to the graphics of 1995..so all is not lost...

It doesn't compare to MI3 for me, and neither did the DOTT remaster. Although the FT remaster is already far better at this stage with backgrounds then the DOTT remaster was, but the characters (and the bike) still look off when to me they're the most important thing to get right.

On another note does anyone know where to get the CD version of Beneath a Steel sky that would work on Windows 8.1? I may have asked the question here a long while ago before...but the version on GOG has the hideous sound of the Disk version...without the CD quality background music...

Run

http://scummvm.org/games/#sky

With scummvm. Although looking at the size of the GOG version, it should be the CD version, so I'm guessing it's emulating a different sound card then you were expecting, which you can tweak in scummvm.

Knurek

TRhanks I'll try that.

Don't forget about adding the forced part, as DOSBox doesn't scale 640x480 resolutions without it.

Alternatively, you can update to SVN Dosbox build and use a pixel shader. Way less CPU intensive, provided you have a decent GPU.

Comparison shots:

Normal Scaling (bilinear most probably):
bilinearm3ozc.png

TV2X scaler:
tv2xw2q82.png

Pixelshader:
pixelshaderbwovt.png

Tizoc

Don't forget about adding the forced part, as DOSBox doesn't scale 640x480 resolutions without it.

Alternatively, you can update to SVN Dosbox build and use a pixel shader. Way less CPU intensive, provided you have a decent GPU.

Comparison shots:

Normal Scaling (bilinear most probably):
bilinearm3ozc.png

TV2X scaler:
tv2xw2q82.png

Pixelshader:
pixelshaderbwovt.png

Well the built in DOSBox that comes with the game has an option to disable fullscreen which I did.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Speaking of DOSBox, I can't help but notice every GOG release plays at stretched out 16:9 instead of the original 4:3. Is there a global way to correct that, or does it involve an ini tweak in each game? Some games are actually suited for stretching, but some could use the correction.

Knurek

Speaking of DOSBox, I can't help but notice every GOG release plays at stretched out 16:9 instead of the original 4:3. Is there a global way to correct that, or does it involve an ini tweak in each game? Some games are actually suited for stretching, but some could use the correction.

Change aspect=false to aspect=true in each dosbox.conf file.

Tizoc

OK just finished Day 1 of Gabriel Knight 1.
I'm enjoying it so far but I was surprised to find Jim Cummings voicing the old police officer in the station.
I find it rather hilarious how Knight can just casually talk with his close associates about Voodoo and the Voodoo Muruders.
The dialog artwork is very good too.

Broken Age big box finally arrived! I waited to see the documentary until I had the Blurays and am enjoying that now.

Family photo:

<3

Looks so so so good! Are you getting a boxed copy of Thimbleweed Park as well? I have physical copies of all the LucasArts adventures starting from Loom, but I only have the boxes for Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island.

nny

Looks so so so good! Are you getting a boxed copy of Thimbleweed Park as well? I have physical copies of all the LucasArts adventures starting from Loom, but I only have the boxes for Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island.

No, I will not get that one :/ From time to time I try to add a big box to the collection, the next on the list is Curse of MI...one of these days! :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Every time I see a DOTT box, I'm reminded that I threw away a triangle shaped box when I left home as a kid :(

Bouniter

Looking for a little advice and help please Point and Click Gaf.

I was looking at Buying my Father a selection of point and click and hidden object games on steam. He used to play some point and click adventure games with me when I was a child I most fondly remember the Broken Sword series. He now plays the free HOB and room escape games you can find around the web.

this is the list I currently have

LucasArts Adventure Pack
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
Alex Hunter - Lord of the Mind
The Room
Neighbours from Hell Compilation
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle
Grim Fandango Remastered
Papers, Please

Is their anything you would absolutely add take away or replace.

One note would be that I feel their are probably enough Point and click adventure games already but it could do with some more hidden object/room escape titles. (But I have literally no experience with these so would greatly appreciate your help) Totally open to any suggestions and thank you for any help.

I haven't played a single adventure game this year.

Only played the first episode of the new King's Quest, which was last year when it came out.

Armikrog has been out for over a year now and I haven't played it.

Charlie-Brown-sad-e1389021596408.jpg

Looking for a little advice and help please Point and Click Gaf.

I was looking at Buying my Father a selection of point and click and hidden object games on steam. He used to play some point and click adventure games with me when I was a child I most fondly remember the Broken Sword series. He now plays the free HOB and room escape games you can find around the web.

this is the list I currently have

LucasArts Adventure Pack
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride
Alex Hunter - Lord of the Mind
The Room
Neighbours from Hell Compilation
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle
Grim Fandango Remastered
Papers, Please

Is their anything you would absolutely add take away or replace.

One note would be that I feel their are probably enough Point and click adventure games already but it could do with some more hidden object/room escape titles. (But I have literally no experience with these so would greatly appreciate your help) Totally open to any suggestions and thank you for any help.

Get the Black Well Bundle, Cognition and Grey Matter certainly. Also, Day of the Tentacle HD Remaster.

mattiewheels

You guys should throw in suggestions for adventure games worth looking at in the Steam sale and GOG sale...I'll suggest a couple with really cool writing and atmosphere.

header.jpg

The Dream Machine - 99¢ (75% off)

Surrealist slice of life adventure, with claymation visuals and a nice sense of humor.

header.jpg

Richard and Alice - $1.19 (80% off)

Bleak short story about survival in a winter apocalypse, more of a visual novel but very well-written.

Just played through Oxenfree, that sure was... something.
Any other games with similar ''mindfuckness'' out there?

Kentucky Route Zero

Its not really a puzzle game tho, but you do point and click at things, it looks gorgeous, and is nothing but one massive mindfuck. If i had to decribe it, id say its like playing the worst fever dream you ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom