• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

The Dude

Man the creepy vibes of Dream Machine are so good.

This is what I love about this genre and always have, it lets devs just be so creative since each screen is like a painted picture building onto the story.

Really anticipating getting further

Boem

Anyone here playing Gnog? I know it's not exactly a traditional adventure game - perhaps more of a puzzle game - but it looks like it fires up the same laid back puzzle solving parts of your brain, and it looks pretty spectacular to me. I'm waiting for the PC release (I think it's just PS4 at the moment), but I'd love some impressions from adventure Gaf.

GNOG-screenshot1.png

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT2_118512.png

Tizoc

Journey Down Ep. 1 keeps crashing on me on W10 :/ Thankfully it autosaves every screen so it ain't all that bad.

TripleSun

Journey Down Ep. 1 keeps crashing on me on W10 :/ Thankfully it autosaves every screen so it ain't all that bad.

I first played it on W10 without any issues so that's unfortunate to hear ): It's such a great game, Ch. 2 makes it ever better too.

Tizoc

I first played it on W10 without any issues so that's unfortunate to hear ): It's such a great game, Ch. 2 makes it ever better too.
Qctually figured out how to fix it; just dont turn on 'click to contiue' which pauses dialog adter they are spoken
Doing that the game ran flawlessly

I beat it recently and was surprised at how short ep 1 was
Some puzzles were a little odd but i enjoyed it otherwise

TripleSun

So am I getting this straight that Poisoned Pawn is now turning into Tesla Effect's sequel? Or am I reading this wrong?

Fuz

Banned
People should really just calm down. Remake and remastered aren't just made for people who played the game before. New player like myself have no idea what the game looked like in the past and thought the remake was really good.

But it's not. That's the problem.
And we lost our shot at a decent remaster.

Tizoc

Journey Down Ep. 2 finished. I enjoyed it more than Ep. 1 but some puzzles were a little odd esp. the
use a PLUNGER to open a Window.
Just.
what?

RiP Simon D'souza :(

Vecks

Since I hadn't played a P&C for a long while, I decided to just try out one from the back log. Heard a lot of good stuff about Kentucky Route Zero, so I gave that a go yesterday. Finished the 3rd act. Very unique style, but not really my cup of tea. Thought act 1 was great, but act 2 soured me on the whole game... It just felt really tedious.
The broken leg really ruined my enjoyment. Also didn't help that I kept getting some bug in which I can't move and have to reload the game.
Still planning on finishing it, but I don't think I'll start part 4 unless I know part 5 is coming soon. Not in any hurry.

But even though I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped, it did leave me wanting to play more P&Cs.

And so today I checked out Kathy Rain. I'm about 2 or 3 hours in. It reminds me of Blackwell series, but I definitely like this game better. This one hits the right notes for me. Solid voice acting. Fast walking, small locations, and quick travel between destinations. Very little item hunting. You just get what you need as you go along. Points you in the right direction with simple hints. Story is also pretty interesting, with plenty of mystery. I'm still not sure what's going on, but it has me hooked.

Knurek

And so today I checked out Kathy Rain. I'm about 2 or 3 hours in. It reminds me of Blackwell series, but I definitely like this game better. This one hits the right notes for me. Solid voice acting. Fast walking, small locations, and quick travel between destinations. Very little item hunting. You just get what you need as you go along. Points you in the right direction with simple hints. Story is also pretty interesting, with plenty of mystery. I'm still not sure what's going on, but it has me hooked.

Yeah, Kathy Rain is great.
Looking forward to the guy's new game, made with cooperation with The Samaritan Parodox devs.

So some guys used their upscaling tools based on neural network on The Curse of Monkey Island, and I daresay the result surpasses the DoTT and Full Throttle remasters. Apparently there's just been minor touch-ups on the characters. Damn, I want this!

4tdypG4.jpg

So some guys used their upscaling tools based on neural network on The Curse of Monkey Island, and I daresay the result surpasses the DoTT and Full Throttle remasters. Apparently there's just been minor touch-ups on the characters. Damn, I want this!

4tdypG4.jpg
Holy shit this is amazing.. do you know if they will release this?

No idea. The discussion is ongoing in the Adventure Games facebook group thing, but I don't think they're planning anything, they're just toying around with this upscaler. I mean it's Disney, I doubt things will be happening any time soon...

The Inner World is on sale at Steam now. Would you say it's a good one? Haven't really played any modern point-and-click games in a while, but Thimbleweed Park has got me craving for more.

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I've been eyeing th Deponia games - any impressions/reccomendations?

The Inner World is on sale at Steam now. Would you say it's a good one? Haven't really played any modern point-and-click games in a while, but Thimbleweed Park has got me craving for more.

Any other suggestions?

Depends how long a while is I guess. I haven't played TIW, but I've played the first Deponia game and I thought it was awful.

Good modern P&C's:

The Shivah
Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentleman Please
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Dropsy
Primordia
Blackwell series (5 game series, first 4 are available in a bundle)
Technobabylon
Kathy Rain
Shadowgate 2014 (remake of the original)
Samaritan Paradox

Resonance and Shardlight have generally good writing (both in the serious category), but I wasn't a fan of their endings. YMMV.

There's also Quest For Infamy if you want a good Quest for Glory style P&C/RPG hybrid.

I really need to set aside some time to replay Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive and Overseer so I can finally get to Tesla Effect.

Any other suggestions?

I recommend all Deponia games to be honest. Its not for everyone but the style, the places and most of the jokes were good.

Besides Deponia I recommend The Night of the Rabbit, Fran Bow, Paradigm

eLGee

4tdypG4.jpg

Holy shit!

edit: Should mention that the reason for this surpassing Dott and FT is that CoMI were at higher resolution with more a more cartoony style, making the upscaling guesswork of the neural network easier.

4tdypG4.jpg
Hey there,

Where did you take the pic? I searched a bit but I can't find source or information about that image. Could you lend me an hand, maybe my google-fu is not enough.

Thanks in advance.

Holy shit!

edit: Should mention that the reason for this surpassing Dott and FT is that CoMI were at higher resolution with more a more cartoony style, making the upscaling guesswork of the neural network easier.

Yeah, I believe that is absolutely the case. Still, a bang-up job, and I'd love to see what this tool comes up with when you run Dott or FT through it. I doubt it'd be this awesome :)

erlim

yes, that talented of a member

4tdypG4.jpg

Oh man. I really hope this gets the attention of programmers and publishers.

Would love to have Curse of Monkey Island, the old Resident Evils, Onimushas, etc, on modern systems.

Could probably help with textures for a lot of old games that you could remaster.

Tizoc

1 episode left in King's Quest 2015!
Overall I enjoyed it, the voice acting is good and I like it's light fairy tale theme.
Visuals are a mixed bag but at their best they are quite colorful.

1 episode left in King's Quest 2015!
Overall I enjoyed it, the voice acting is good and I like it's light fairy tale theme.
Visuals are a mixed bag but at their best they are quite colorful.

I found that it was very hit and miss. It started off strong, but some of the episodes(#4 was the worst) were just not fun for me.

Slaythe

Nah episode 4 was a disgrace.

Shame. I have yet to finish the series, and i had loved episodes 1 to 3, that's how bad 4 was.

Tizoc

Right here's what's left among my Steam library's PnC list before I jump back into my GOG list-

Little Acre
Loom Steam ver.
Marvin's Mittens
Memoranda
Message Quest
Nikopol (should I maybe read the comic series first?)
Order of the Throne
Post Mortem
Puzzle Bots
Quest for Infamy
realyMyst Steam ver.
Samorost 1 and 2
Shadowgate
Silver Case
Superbrothers
Tesla Effect
Tiny Thief
Violett
Virginia
Void & Medler

and just because I am bored and I like making lists, my GOG list includes atm
Another World
Ballads of Reemus
Book of Unwritten Tales CC
Call of Cthulhu 1+2
D: The Game (maybe....)
Dragonsphere
Edna & Harvey 1+2
Gabe Knight 2 and 3
Leisure Suit Larry Love for Sail
Lure of the Temptress
Machinarium
Still Life 1
Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon
Wallace & Gromit Telltale series
Whispered World

Hmm would I be able to finish all these this year? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

Tizoc

Just made it half way through Loom and umm...where's the music? I'm playing the Steam ver. and there's barely any music when I a play through the game. I do like the puzzle concept of it but am rather underwhelmed by it so far.

I keep hearing the FM Towns ver. is better, is there more music in it aside from having a spell list?

Tizoc

So I JUST beat Memoranda
header.jpg

Let me tell you what I think of this game, keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion, chances are some of you may like it more.

This game made 0 sense to me. Apparently it's supposed to be psychedelic and surreal, but even if the original work made sense on its own, this PnC game just didn't do it for me.
Doesn't help that some of the puzzles were just plain weird.

To give an example:
One puzzle requires you to find sound frequencies. To get these frequencies, you must speak to an anthropomorphic cat who is an Opera singer. Give him the item that has the sound frequencies and he'll sing them and they'll appear as 4 colored bubbles, but you can't catch them as they float up into the air.
To get them you must mix Orange juice with a bottle that contains propane and give the mixture to the cat. That way the frequencies he sings out become heavier than air and so they don't fly away, and you can pick them up.

You need these frequencies to use with another item in order to find a man who is obsessed with spaghetti who had kidnapped an escaped circus elephant who he has living in his cottage outside town, which after a while turns out to barely have any major relevance to the main plot.

Mind you if you're looking for puzzles in your PnCs I don't think this game'd be for you :X

ike_

How'd you end up liking Loom Tizoc?

Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up or is a niche thing but I loved it as a kid. Its sense of loneliness left a real impression on me (which might be why there is almost no music, but I don't remember).

Which of the Dracula PnC games are worth playing?
Like Dracula 2 last sanctuary etc? I'd say that the whole series is worth checking out. I really liked 3. There's something about those games.

I'd also check out the unrelated Dracula Origins.

On a different note, has anyone played Conarium? Not really a point and click per se, but the guys who made it made Darkness Within games, which were heavily inspired by Myst and the works of HP Lovecraft.

Conarium is their new game built in UE4 and based on At the Mountains of Madness. It is absolutely gorgeous and so far, just completely on point. The devs are Turkish, really nice guys who almost gave up after Darkness Within 2. They were brought back from the brink to make this game. I have been chatting with them via email which started during my stint as a volunteer at Adventure Gamers.

Highly recommended and it's currently only 16.99.

Tizoc

How'd you end up liking Loom Tizoc?

Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up or is a niche thing but I loved it as a kid. Its sense of loneliness left a real impression on me (which might be why there is almost no music, but I don't remember).
Eh movement was slow and that annoyed me, but it js a limitation of the time
Great voice acting tho

I can see why it had praise but i think a remaster/fanremake or whatever that could speed it up+Give u the fm towns' thread list wouldve made it more enjoyable for me

Overall i see why it gets its praise but its limitations of the time held it back for me :x

Hooks

4tdypG4.jpg

I need this so bad, I just started replaying the original

So I JUST beat Memoranda
header.jpg

Let me tell you what I think of this game, keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion, chances are some of you may like it more.

This game made 0 sense to me. Apparently it's supposed to be psychedelic and surreal, but even if the original work made sense on its own, this PnC game just didn't do it for me.
Doesn't help that some of the puzzles were just plain weird.

To give an example:
One puzzle requires you to find sound frequencies. To get these frequencies, you must speak to an anthropomorphic cat who is an Opera singer. Give him the item that has the sound frequencies and he'll sing them and they'll appear as 4 colored bubbles, but you can't catch them as they float up into the air.
To get them you must mix Orange juice with a bottle that contains propane and give the mixture to the cat. That way the frequencies he sings out become heavier than air and so they don't fly away, and you can pick them up.

You need these frequencies to use with another item in order to find a man who is obsessed with spaghetti who had kidnapped an escaped circus elephant who he has living in his cottage outside town, which after a while turns out to barely have any major relevance to the main plot.

Mind you if you're looking for puzzles in your PnCs I don't think this game'd be for you :X
I backed it on Kickstarter and couldn't even be bothered putting more than 30 minutes into it. I just hated it. I found the VA for the protagonist really grating.

Tizoc

I backed it on Kickstarter and couldn't even be bothered putting more than 30 minutes into it. I just hated it. I found the VA for the protagonist really grating.
Well ahe is supposed to be japanese so her accent sounds japanese.

Top Bottom