• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

starsky

So I JUST beat Memoranda
header.jpg

Let me tell you what I think of this game, keep in mind that this is my own personal opinion, chances are some of you may like it more.

This game made 0 sense to me. Apparently it's supposed to be psychedelic and surreal, but even if the original work made sense on its own, this PnC game just didn't do it for me.
Doesn't help that some of the puzzles were just plain weird.

To give an example:
One puzzle requires you to find sound frequencies. To get these frequencies, you must speak to an anthropomorphic cat who is an Opera singer. Give him the item that has the sound frequencies and he'll sing them and they'll appear as 4 colored bubbles, but you can't catch them as they float up into the air.
To get them you must mix Orange juice with a bottle that contains propane and give the mixture to the cat. That way the frequencies he sings out become heavier than air and so they don't fly away, and you can pick them up.

You need these frequencies to use with another item in order to find a man who is obsessed with spaghetti who had kidnapped an escaped circus elephant who he has living in his cottage outside town, which after a while turns out to barely have any major relevance to the main plot.

Mind you if you're looking for puzzles in your PnCs I don't think this game'd be for you :X

:O
I dislike nonsensical puzzles in adventure game and this sounds so bad.

Tizoc

Order of the Thorne keeps crashing on me. From what I gathered looking at the error message it generated, it seems to want to load a Cheevo but it can't and thus crashes on Steam.
I think if I have the GOG ver. it won't crash since there are no cheevos there.

Gonna play Post Mortem instead and finish that one off.

Tizoc

Puzzle Bots was cute and fun :3

Will grab Order of the Thorne off GOG later on and beat that ver.
Gonna start Quest for Infamy soon too, just to see if that borks on me and thus grab the GOG ver. as well :V

Tizoc

Quest for Infamy's a rather tricky game to play, mainly in knowing wtf to do, but it has some great voice acting and dialog.

Gibbous currently has 57 characters, and they'll all be voiced.

Most of them talk. Some of them don't. This little guy below barks :)

Yv2fQJs.gif

I really love point and clicks where the world really feels believable and lived in, so we're kind of going crazy with the character count. Obviously, not all are plot related. So much fun making the world feel alive! I can't wait to finish making this game.

In other adventure news, I'm really frustrated that I haven't had the time to make progress with Chronicle of Innsmouth, I really want to play it this week-end. We need more Monkey Island-like Lovecraftian games!

Tizoc

Yv2fQJs.gif

I really love point and clicks where the world really feels believable and lived in, so we're kind of going crazy with the character count. Obviously, not all are plot related. So much fun making the world feel alive! I can't wait to finish making this game.

In other adventure news, I'm really frustrated that I haven't had the time to make progress with Chronicle of Innsmouth, I really want to play it this week-end. We need more Monkey Island-like Lovecraftian games!
When can i buy and play this?

RetroMG

Yv2fQJs.gif

This is kind of a random thing, but I love how your website scrolls, particularly with regard to the characters on the front page. It actually feels like you are moving past them. I'm signed up for your newsletter now, because I'm hoping you put as much care into the game as you did into the website.

Beat Thimbleweed Park. It was ok, I gues, I think it would have been much better game if they had cut down the number of characters and skipped all red herrings in the inventory. And I did not like the ending of the game.

But I did enjoy the art style, some of the puzzles, several locations that really gave the retro adventure vibe, and Ransome's dialogues.

Thought that of the kickstarted adventure games, Broken Age was far superior to this.

Yv2fQJs.gif

First time hearing about this, on my radar now.

BigDes

Trying to play through Chronicles of Innsmouth but it seems very buggy and restrictive.

I think I have blocked progressing in the game because I solved a puzzle too early and now cannot go and solve the other puzzles I need to.

Shame cause point and click games seem to be a perfect genre for cosmic horrory weirdness.

Beat Thimbleweed Park. It was ok, I gues, I think it would have been much better game if they had cut down the number of characters and skipped all red herrings in the inventory. And I did not like the ending of the game.

But I did enjoy the art style, some of the puzzles, several locations that really gave the retro adventure vibe, and Ransome's dialogues.

Thought that of the kickstarted adventure games, Broken Age was far superior to this.

I think about the only thing I agree with you on is the ending. I guess they could have removed one FBI agent, but all the others were necessary. Red herring items are fine.

This so far surpassed broken age it's not even funny. The puzzles were so better designed it was unreal, and the dialogue and aesthetic combined to make it feel like a classic Lucasarts adventure.

Hope it was successful enough for Ron to do another one.

Tizoc

I think about the only thing I agree with you on is the ending. I guess they could have removed one FBI agent, but all the others were necessary. Red herring items are fine.

This so far surpassed broken age it's not even funny. The puzzles were so better designed it was unreal, and the dialogue and aesthetic combined to make it feel like a classic Lucasarts adventure.

I'm gonna make a giveaway of a copy of the game from this summer sale.

The aesthetic was great, absolutely. I think both adventure games excel in the style that was chosen for them.

Absolutely don't agree with the puzzles though. They were mostly fine in Thimbleweed, but they lacked imagination. Pretty much all of them were just simple inventory based puzzles, and everytime I got stuck in this game, it was because I had missed an item that turned out be pickable.

Definitely don't agree by the dialogues, other then that Ransomes dialogues were great.

Broken Age got critique for the 2 or so 4th wall breaking puzzles it had, and here they're everywhere. It was really weird, for example, to have Franklin having to work together with the others, without them knowing about the puzzles or even each other, and not reacting at all when it happened.

Sure, it's explained by
that ending, but it's a pretty cheap ending, and until you know, it's just even weirder.

I did enjoy the game, because it did do many things very good, and I do hope Ron Gilbert does more of them. I would be there for another kickstarter. But I think they have gotten a bit too much slack for the faults the game does have.

The aesthetic was great, absolutely. I think both adventure games excel in the style that was chosen for them.

Absolutely don't agree with the puzzles though. They were mostly fine in Thimbleweed, but they lacked imagination. Pretty much all of them were just simple inventory based puzzles, and everytime I got stuck in this game, it was because I had missed an item that turned out be pickable.

Definitely don't agree by the dialogues, other then that Ransomes dialogues were great.

Broken Age got critique for the 2 or so 4th wall breaking puzzles it had, and here they're everywhere. It was really weird, for example, to have Franklin having to work together with the others, without them knowing about the puzzles or even each other, and not reacting at all when it happened.

Sure, it's explained by
that ending, but it's a pretty cheap ending, and until you know, it's just even weirder.

I did enjoy the game, because it did do many things very good, and I do hope Ron Gilbert does more of them. I would be there for another kickstarter. But I think they have gotten a bit too much slack for the faults the game does have.

Guess we'll just have to disagree then. I think TP had some of the best crafted puzzles of the genre, and had no leaps of logic, which is exceedingly rare.

About to start Shadowgate 2014: Anything I should know before starting to play it?

You have two soundtracks available, a modern one and Hiroyuki Masuno's iconic NES soundtrack. Both are awesome.

Shadowgate will let you do anything that is physically possible (assuming the devs thought of it), which is really cool. Like, if you for some reason decide to do something like use a sword on yourself, you're dead.

Any great 2017 adventure games got good deals on Steam?

I went through most of the OP and most aren't even on Steam yet, let alone out.

Only interested in new games from this year as I have 90% of adventure games on Steam now as it is haha.

Tizoc

Any great 2017 adventure games got good deals on Steam?

I went through most of the OP and most aren't even on Steam yet, let alone out.

Only interested in new games from this year as I have 90% of adventure games on Steam now as it is haha.
Ah so you have thimbleweed park then?

Thanks for showing Gibbous love, guys! Really appreciate your support!

I've only had time to put another hour into Chronicle of Innsmouth but, boy, though I am all about basically playing Shadow Over Innsmouth there are pretty big things holding me back. Small stuff (well, not to an artist) like characters wildly different in sizes, but Ok...

But WORST of all, the music. Not only is it not really appropriate here and there, feeling maybe a bit too cheery for a game that ain't exactly a parody, but it is incredibly repetitive and jarring. I think they'd've been better off focusing on non-musical soundscapes. I hate doing this to games, but I might have to mute it and play the Dark Corners of the Earth soundtrack instead.

Hey guys, just put up a hefty update on the VFX we'll be using in-game, which is pretty impressive if I do say so myself ;)

Click the gif below to check it out.

Tizoc

OK time to finish Silver Case. The new release eliminates the main puzzles from what I've seen so go in it for the plot/story.

Hey all

Can someone help me out, I just discovered 'Yesterday Origins' by Pendulo. It seems super interesting but I see its part of an existing series. Do I have to play 'Yesterday' to enjoy this? I don't mind going back to play it if it ups the enjoyment factor of Origins but if its not a good game then I just want to know if its possible to skip?

Thanks

Paragon

Yesterday is a great game.
I've not played Origins, but that's because I've heard it's shit.
Play Yesterday.
I remember really enjoying The Next BIG Thing too, and have been meaning to play through the Runaway games after picking up the Pendulo Adventure Pack in a Steam sale years ago.
From what I've played, those could be described as an "edgy" late '90s/early '00s take on the Broken Sword series.

I've also been holding off picking up Yesterday Origins after not hearing great things.
EDIT: Looks like they recently released a demo for it on Steam.

Tizoc

So yeah I've not been posting about any PnCs I've beaten these past few weeks.
Chalk it up to Evo, me clearing some other titles in my backlog, playing through the Megaman X series, and watch British and Irish Sitcoms.
I'll try to finish up Silver Case before August and do a quickie write up about ir, but until then I am now wondering what a Father Ted adventure game would be like...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It seems a lot of point and click games are on sale this week on Steam, any suggestions? I've only played a couple so I'm open to any that are good. Preferably ones with easier puzzles, nothing too frustrating. A good story/voice acting is a must.

So far I've grabbed Eventide: Slavic Fable and The Silence Age so hopefully they're not terrible.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?specials=1&os=win

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if "Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones" is a standalone story or do I need to play the previous games before it? I finished Eventide: Slavic Fable and enjoyed it so I'm looking at playing more games from the same devs.

BluWacky

Does anyone know if "Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones" is a standalone story or do I need to play the previous games before it? I finished Eventide: Slavic Fable and enjoyed it so I'm looking at playing more games from the same devs.

The games are only linked by their title and general spooky-under-the-sea theme; they're otherwise unrelated.

Artifex Mundi are one of the better HOPA (hidden object puzzle adventure) creators out there.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
The games are only linked by their title and general spooky-under-the-sea theme; they're otherwise unrelated.

Artifex Mundi are one of the better HOPA (hidden object puzzle adventure) creators out there.

Lovely, thanks. I'll grab it now. Eventide was my first experience with the developer and they made a good first impression, I'm on Steam now sorting by user reviews to see what their best work is. It's a nice change of pace to play this type of game where I can just have a drink and chill out and relax instead of being stressed the fuck out playing something competitive.

Am I right in assuming it's the same for all their games? Only connected by name. Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood sounds interesting as well, as does Vampire Legends: The True Story of Kisilova which I'll probably play next, the first ever documented case of vampirism sounds cool.

EDIT: I'd love to play these games in bed but they don't support controllers by default, does anyone have a good Steam profile? I've tried a couple that make the controller work but it doesn't feel right, otherwise I'll have to make one from scratch.

EDIT: It's super easy to make a controller profile and it's working great, what an amazing feature of Steam that I've never used before. Now I can play all my P&C games in bed :D

MoonFrog

I've been feeling for the past couple days that someone (if they haven't already) should make a text adventure game about palace intrigue in a court (thinking a Confucianist court, with Joseon as my touchstone). Trying to stay alive, to get your enemies killed, and to move up in the world, with multiple ways to get yourself killed/exiled/etc. and multiple sorts of success. Maybe also trying to achieve some policy oriented agenda :p.

I was playing Phoenix Wright and it led me to thinking about another setting where argument could come in to play (there in court, here before the King) and then you'd have all the subterfuge and wheeling and dealing to deal with in walking/examining/talking segments.

With that off my chest, I will note that this is a genre I have under-explored and always had interest in, subscribe to the thread, and be off!

ike_

Some great sales on PSN right now:

$3 - Day of the Tentacle
$3 - Grim Fandango
$4 - Broken Age
All Cross-Buy with Vita & platinum trophies too if that's your sickness.

I remember Broken Age getting some criticism but it was definitely one of my favorite P&Cs since the classics other than maybe Primordia. Machinarium is only $2-3 too.

Also 10 years late I'm considering finally checking out the Sam & Max Telltale games. I've had them in my Steam library for who knows how many years and I'm wondering if they hold up. I really liked the original but didn't fall for it as hard as it seems like a lot of other people did.

Top Bottom