• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

DeviantBoi

King's Quest III

A friend was showing me his new Tandy computer and this was one of the games he had bought. However, he had gotten stuck early on.

I played around with it and quickly picked up how to play it. I went over to the library and looked around the books... found a lever and opened up the trapdoor to the wizard's laboratory.

I was smitten with adventures games from that day.

Tizoc

My first adventure game was The Pink Panther: Passport to Peril, in swedish

I was ~7 and it was the best thing ever

pink_panther_passport_to_peril.jpg

Oh wow I never heard of this before, this'll be def. worth tracking down XP
Seems to have had a sequel too Hokus Pokus Pink.

Apparently these are the only 2 known pink panther games :O

I played that all the time when I was younger. In Dutch!!
That game gets really friggin' creepy at some point too. It gave me some nightmares lol.

Are you me?

I wholeheartly agree. Monkey island was also my first game (och jag är också svensk) I often feel that Kyrandia 3 should be mention in theses discussions, with different solutions on puzzels. Problem is that it was ages since I played it and I don't remember enough to put it in perspective on modern games.

Twimbleweed park is probably the game I enjoyed most in the genre in modern time.

If I'm you? Well, sometimes I feel like I have split personalities, so I don't want to dismiss it to easily, but probably not. :p

Gött med andra svenskar i den här tråden. :)

Haven't played the Kyrianda games myself, just read about them, but I have been thinking about buying those available on GOG. And it wasn't that long ago I played Gabriel Knight 1 for the first time, so I think I should be able to enjoy older games in the genre even now.

Thimbleweed Park is a game I want to like much more then I did. It's a solid 3/5 at least, even for me, but there are some issues with it that bothered me. And the ending soured me a bit on the game.

Tizoc

Kyrandia games are in similar category to the Sierra Online PnC games where you can die at anytime if you don't know what you're doing....or at least Kyrandia 1.
Plus it has RNG up the ass in the first game since it requires you to find certain gems scattered around the screens, with a particularly irritating puzzle involving using gems in a specific order at a pedastal or such in order to progress, don't even get me started on that freakin' cave ugh.

Kyrandia 3...I played it but can't remember much of it, but I did like how open ended it was in how you wanted to progress through the game.

I'd say 2 is the best one but Kyrandia 1 and 2 have wonderful visuals.

GK3 was one of my favorite games. It's even how I ended up with this handle for the last 20 or so years. Still, I tried to replay it a few months back and I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes because the controls and camera were so terrible. No idea how I, or anyone, ever played that game

It's a shame nobody has bothered to fix some of the flaws in the game. Hidden within the game files is a ton of documentation meant for modding

Lack of interest sadly.
Short of a fan remake (demake?), I doubt Acti sees in interest in making a tradional PnC style Gabe Knight game anytime soon.

Tizoc

Well that's Machinarium beaten! I didn't fully understand the plot but it was a charming lovely game to play.
I like it the most among Amanita Studio's games. Wish we'd get a sequel that lets you control the
couple and letting each character go about solving a puzzle ala Day of Tentacle style

I remember this, was kind of a P&C for kids which I was a bit old for at that point.

Still had a lot of fun with it, especially because it was based on the new (for the time) pink panther cartoon which I was really enjoying.

My first was the NES port of Maniac Mansion, got that christmas '92.

It's actually the best version even though it's censored as they got rid of "what is", adding on-hover descriptions. Kinda bums me out there's no version of MM with the DOS V2 graphics, the removal of what is and no dead ends.

TripleSun

I still remember my Humongous Entertainment days fondly. Pajama Sam was the best, along with Spy Fox and such. Really need to replay them. They were probably my first adventure games and really stuck with me.

Maniac Mansion is one of my P&C sins. I consider it a classic for me, but I haven't made any significant progress in it, either on Amiga, PC or NES. Shame on me.

epmode

The first adventure game I owned was Zak McKraken for the Commodore 64. Finished it, loved it, although I think I eventually wound up convincing my parents to get a hint book. I still haven't played the original Maniac Mansion all the way through.

After that, I didn't play much in the genre until I got a 386 and Space Quest 4. Then I played EVERYTHING.

I'm kinda disappointed with the current state of the genre but there are still some highlights that approach the old days.

I think the first adventure game I played was King's Quest III on our Apple II in the late 80s. I never did complete it because it was too difficult for me at the time. If it wasn't KQ III (memory is a little fuzzy) then it was the original Leisure Suit Larry that my Dad installed on his computer at his business - although I wasn't supposed to play that one I managed so sneak in some time with it. I also remember playing Mean Streets on his office computer.

Tizoc

Finished Ch. 1 of Still Life. So far plot is rather interesting. Gonna aim to finish it a chapter a day.

Tizoc

Huh so the original Zork would generate a random value to determine how many items you could carry.

Tizoc

Now that I think about it, I hadn't beaten Tesla Effect yet :X

About to start Under a Killing Moon, I also have Pandora Directive and Overseer which I will install soon and play them after finishing KM.

RAIDEN1

So how well did the Full Throttle re-master sell? still can't get why they never did a director's cut version with added scenes that were left on the cutting room floor back in '95 so to speak.....seeing as we'll never get a sequel....

ike_

Well, if for nothing else, I need to play a bit of it for Steam achievements in Day of the Tentacle: Remastered. :)

And those achievements are worth getting. I've played/watched DotT like 100 times but going after the trophies I caught a lot of funny dialog & moments I hadn't seen before. Same for Grim Fandango, to a slightly lesser extent.

OK gang here's a little something interesting-
What was your very first PnC game? Was it a game that got you interested in the genre?

Day of the Tentacle!

Well, it wasn't technically MY first pnc game - I didn't yet have a computer when I first layed my eyes on it.

But anyways, last year I made a short animation about just that, so it's easier to just watch instead of type everything :)

Why We Love Adventure Games - click to watch

Tizoc

CROM IN VALHALLA
What is this backwards ass control scheme in Under a Killing Moon?!
I can't play this, by the time I've completed a chapter I would've spent 3 hours because this game thinks I wanna run a marathon towards every wall.

CROM IN VALHALLA
What is this backwards ass control scheme in Under a Killing Moon?!
I can't play this, by the time I've completed a chapter I would've spent 3 hours because this game thinks I wanna run a marathon towards every wall.
I remember it being janky but I did get the hang of it; it's not that bad. I played it for the first time on GOG a year or two ago by the way.

epmode

I remember it being janky but I did get the hang of it; it's not that bad. I played it for the first time on GOG a year or two ago by the way.

Yeah, you get used to it. It may help to change a few key bindings. I wound up going with some kind of WASD setup where A and D turns, Q and E strafes, and space bar switches to cursor mode. You should also have bindings for looking up/down close by. And whatever you do, make sure you have bindings for vertical movement (crouch and stand?) since they're absolutely necessary to find some items on top of high shelves and down low.

SOME-MIST

Well that's Machinarium beaten! I didn't fully understand the plot but it was a charming lovely game to play.
I like it the most among Amanita Studio's games. Wish we'd get a sequel that lets you control the
couple and letting each character go about solving a puzzle ala Day of Tentacle style

have you played samorost 3? I'm assuming you've played all of amanita studio's library but samorost 3 is my personal favorite.

probably my favorite adventure game since the sea will claim everything

Tizoc

have you played samorost 3? I'm assuming you've played all of amanita studio's library but samorost 3 is my personal favorite.

probably my favorite adventure game since the sea will claim everything

Yes I have but Machinarium's my fav. personally. Samorost are good games in their own rights tho.

NEW TITLE IN BLACK MIRROR SERIES! (sorry for caps, couldn't contain myself)

https://adventuregamers.com/news/view/33391

Seems to be marketed as a re-imagining so I was worried it was just a remake of the original but seems like it's a new independent story with the same dark atmosphere. I'm super excited!

It's funny how many devs this series has gone through, though. Future Games, Cranberry Production and now KING Art Games. I loved their The Raven and The Book of Unwritten Tale games so I trust they'll put their best into this as well.

...November 28th is the release date..? Wow, I didn't see that coming so soon.. They hid it well from the public. Kinda happy about that. Time to get on replaying the first two again. Where's my week off work to fully delve into the world again?

The executive producer on Black Mirror II seems to be involved for this iteration as well. Did not know that KING Art was also involved with the second game so at least you know they know what it takes to not ruin such a beautiful series.

This is great news, love the BM series, especially the 2nd/3rd ones!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finally got to play and platinum Thimbleweed Park on the PS4, several comments:

- The game very much looks and feels like a blast from the past, Maniac Mansion style.
- Lots of LucasArts references which is pretty cool.
- ... Unfortunately the breaking the 4th wall thing got kinda old.
- Collecting random stuff is cool but I feel like compared to the LucasArts games, this game takes the cake of collecting unnecessary stuff.
- Game is long, like for a quick hard playthrough took me 5 hours.
- The game is buggy on the PS4, my data got corrupted twice.

Tizoc

Remind me how can I turn the controls in Under a Killing Moon so movement is done with the keyboard or WASD?

Tizoc

Yeah sorry I can't handle this outdated movement in Under a Killing Moon. Maybe I'll come back to it again someday.
Maybe
Tried Pandora Directive and the game freezes after the difficulty selection screen =_=

Well 3rd time's the charm, let's check out Overseer :V

EDIT: I installed ffdshow and set MPEG-2 to libavibcodec and now the game crashes when I run it @_@

EDIT2: Bah I'll get back to Tex's old adventures some other day. Gonna start Whispered World next then jump back into my Steam backlog.

EDIT3: I also have Broken Sword 1 and 2 that I've been meaning to get play, so I'll finish my current GOG backlog, then get into those 2 games.

Hmm, I think I played the director's cuts... What's the difference?

For 1:

No ugly portraits in the original version, starts at the cafe with George - no Nico section with slide puzzles. The intro in the cafe in the original game is considered iconic, but the DC version takes away all the dialogue in favour of the terrible Nico section.

Also the DC version rerecorded some - but not all - of the dialogue, so there's a really weird variance that can take you out of the game sometimes. One second the audio is clear, the next it sounds like it's coming out of a broom closet by comparison.

2 just made a puzzle easier, dropped a couple of lines some less-important dialogue and has the ugly portraits so it's not as much of a change.

Originals have no hot-spots either, which I didn't really like in the DCs. Can't remember if you can turn them off now.

Come on, holmes, you know me better than that!
I specifically downloaded the og games off gog to experience them

<3

Slaythe

2 is fine.

The portraits were better, animated, and didn't replace existing animations. The other changes are completely trivial.

1 DC is a shame.

Tizoc

Almost half way through Whispered World atm.
I am liking the story so far. Gameplay seems pretty simple too.

BluWacky

Almost half way through Whispered World atm.
I am liking the story so far. Gameplay seems pretty simple too.

My experience with Whispered World is very much coloured by how irritating Sadwick's voice acting is. Deliberately so, perhaps, but I found his voice extremely grating over the course of the game.

I have two Daedalic sequels in the "queue" to play - Memoria (which I've started and got some way into, actually, although not far) and Silence.

Tizoc

My experience with Whispered World is very much coloured by how irritating Sadwick's voice acting is. Deliberately so, perhaps, but I found his voice extremely grating over the course of the game.

I have two Daedalic sequels in the "queue" to play - Memoria (which I've started and got some way into, actually, although not far) and Silence.

The Dark Eye PnC games are decent, but I would've liked them a lot more if they had a much better localization :X

Tizoc

Whispered World beaten, but man that ending
was not very satisfying IMO :p
Overall a solid PnC game and the animation is OK

nEXT up: Wallace and Gromit!

Futaleufu

You can't die in Broken Sword DC.

Memoria is probably the best PnC Daedalic has released so far.

I've been playing Oknytt, the PnC mechanics seem inspired by Golbiiins and the story is based on swedish folklore. For a game where every chapter is a small number of screens, it's very challenging.

Tizoc

If I want to play the King's Quest and Quest for Glory games, what are the best way to play them alongside the GOG versions?
There are Fan remakes right?
Looking at my folders I have-
King's Quest 1 fan remake
King's Quest 2 fan remake
King's Quest 3 fan remake
Quest for Glory 2 fan remake

I never did play the fan remakes. Must get onto that one of these days.

You can't die in Broken Sword DC.

Wow, that's one complaint I've not heard before (I assume because most people who played the original know all the death-decisions and always choose correctly anyway).

makes it even worse lol

Mariip

Omg this game is awesome... i remember playing it with my cousins for hours untill we hit a wall and gave up
curse you stonehenge puzzle
we managed to continue it some years later tho, and damn it was a pretty funny game... Brazilian dub was awesome too...
My friends at school used to say "hovus pocus" was better, but i really think it lacked the summer camp charm...(playing it as i was in my 14s didn't help much either)

Tizoc

Almost done with Wallace and Gromit and overall I like it!
Alas Peter Sallis had not voiced Wallace in the games (he voiced him in the Were-Rabbit movie at least and I think in the 2008 feature), but Ben does a good job as Wallace's voice.

I like the puzzles for the most part too but I am noticing this bizarre issue with Telltale's older games: The game would freeze occasionally from time to time. Nothing major gamebreaking but it is irritating to see, I wonder if it has to do with how the Telltale engine loads data or something?

Telltale's engine is just garbage. We forgave it back then because they were a small company on the rise making P&C's which were practically dead then.

In a way, I'm glad they don't make pure P&C's anymore, it makes it exceedingly easy for me to just ignore them entirely.

Top Bottom