• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

Futaleufu

Alcachofa Soft, I remember their craptacular Drascula that started OK but ended terribly.

On the other hand, Under a Killing Moon is awesome. I remember playing this one 20 years ago, however my english was very bad back then so i only got some glimpses of the story and the writing. The Roland Sound Canvas soundtrack is sublime and so far (day 2) the puzzles seem very well done, like real detective job. For a game made in 1994, with a 3D engine running in a SVGA resolution, it's a technical achievement. I do remember not running very well in my 486 I had back then. Like an early version of the 3D Sherlock Holmes games made by Frogwares.

Tizoc

This looks interesting
bildschirmfoto2017-09qvu8t.png
Trüberbrook« is a thrilling mystery adventure game set in rural Germany in the late 1960s. The player takes the role of young american physicist Tannhauser, who happens to end up in the eponymous village of Trüberbrook, an ageing but beautiful health resort somewhere in the densely forested countryside of West Germany. Tannhauser, while working on his PhD thesis, comes to Trüberbrook seeking to crack a tiresome mental block. But something in this town seems strangely spaced out.

The superficial german homeland setting gradually evolves into a puzzling sci-fi mystery. Tannhauser teams up with Gretchen, a paleoanthropologist seeking to unravel the folkloristic mysteries surrounding the village. He also bumps into the enigmatic inventor Lazarus Taft, a stranded traveler yearning for home.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1434202

epmode

The Journey Down: Chapter 3 was just released to Kickstarter backers, OMG. Today's the release date so it should be for sale in a few hours.

...I should probably make my way through part 2 now. I really like the first game and what I played of the second was impressive, I just stopped for some reason!

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/579760/The_Journey_Down_Chapter_Three/
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-journey-down-chapter-three/id945434692

I don't have a working GOG link yet.

Tizoc

Gonna finish Black Mirror 1 then jump into Journey Down Ep. 3 X3

The Journey Down: Chapter 3 was just released to Kickstarter backers, OMG. Today's the release date so it should be for sale in a few hours.

...I should probably make my way through part 2 now. I really like the first game and what I played of the second was impressive, I just stopped for some reason!

Here ya go mon!
https://www.gog.com/game/the_journey_down_trilogy

BTW those who backed ti also get a DRM-free copy via Humble :D

starsky

Black Mirror's movement is too slow for me and it isn't helping me enjoy the game :(

Can I go into Black Mirror 2 without having played 1?

Black Mirror 1 is made by a different developer from Black Mirror 2 and 3.

The game is outdated and the voice actors are unintentionally hilarious but you might enjoy the sequels more if you finish the first game, the plots are closely tied together. Obviously if you can't, it's better to play the sequels than not playing them at all.

Tizoc

Black Mirror 1 is made by a different developer from Black Mirror 2 and 3.

The game is outdated and the voice actors are unintentionally hilarious but you might enjoy the sequels more if you finish the first game, the plots are closely tied together. Obviously if you can't, it's better to play the sequels than not playing them at all.
Fair enough thanks
Will start black mirror 2 after journey down 3

EDIT: It just occured to me that I should revisit Aviary Attorney and check out the other possible endings.

TripleSun

Hot damn! So many games I almost forgot this was already upon us. Chapter 1 was nice but can't beat the second chapter. Been a rough week so time to replay them all in one day.

TripleSun

Fair enough thanks
Will start black mirror 2 after journey down 3

EDIT: It just occured to me that I should revisit Aviary Attorney and check out the other possible endings.

Yeah some people thought Black Mirror fell off after the first game and became too easy but definitely it feels the hardest to stand until the end. But I would just push through it for the sake of the great sequels. Don't forget the new game is coming later this year! Although it's not connected to the same Gordon family as the others.

RAIDEN1

With all the Blade-Runner promos out at the moment, it got me thinking am I correct to assume there is no way you can play the Blade-Runner game that came out 20 years ago on modern systems?

Also recently I started up Full Throttle as awesome as ever, but I read recently that Tim Schafer says he has no plans for a sequel and couldn't see himself doing one for the game and felt that the story was adequately concluded as it was...also stating that gamers today would be more forgving of the relative short length of the game as compared to the criticism it received back in 95 for being too short....

Yet it was only in 2000 they were looking to go back to the Full Throttle world with the sequel....which had a good background story to it, whether or not it would have been another point and click adventure we may never know...but I feel that Schafer is saying he won't go back partly because near all the original team has splintered, and with the voice of Ben having passed away back in 2002.....and the fact that any attempts to bring in a sequel just fell by the way-side other wise back in 2000-2003 Schafer wasn't saying Full Throttle doesn't need a sequel... just a shame to think there will be no more adventure games like that....after all there's only so much you can get from the original game...

Fluloco

With all the Blade-Runner promos out at the moment, it got me thinking am I correct to assume there is no way you can play the Blade-Runner game that came out 20 years ago on modern systems?

Also recently I started up Full Throttle as awesome as ever, but I read recently that Tim Schafer says he has no plans for a sequel and couldn't see himself doing one for the game and felt that the story was adequately concluded as it was...also stating that gamers today would be more forgving of the relative short length of the game as compared to the criticism it received back in 95 for being too short....

Yet it was only in 2000 they were looking to go back to the Full Throttle world with the sequel....which had a good background story to it, whether or not it would have been another point and click adventure we may never know...but I feel that Schafer is saying he won't go back partly because near all the original team has splintered, and with the voice of Ben having passed away back in 2002.....and the fact that any attempts to bring in a sequel just fell by the way-side other wise back in 2000-2003 Schafer wasn't saying Full Throttle doesn't need a sequel... just a shame to think there will be no more adventure games like that....after all there's only so much you can get from the original game...

There's an installer to play Blade Runner in modern systems. Read this article to learn more: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Blade_Runner

TripleSun

Looks like Chronicle of Innsmouth got an upgrade free to owners with full english voice overs. Still haven't picked it up but sounds like the game really needed it. (Depending how good they are)

-edit- yeah its good to know devils men still exists. it sounded nice and the art as well but it kinda fell off the planet news wise so i too thought it was dead

ViolentP

Has anyone here watched any Let's Plays of Harvester? It's almost always a good watch, (almost) regardless of driver.

Anyone know how long The Journey Down Chapter 3 is? There's no entry on HLTB yet and I'm wondering if it's short enough to beat in one sitting like the first two.

Boem

Tim Schafer wasn't involved with any of the Full Throttle sequels that were in development at Lucasarts, which he wasn't happy about. And honestly, based on what we know about them (there are videos, screenshots and interviews, check Mixnmojo for instance), they really wouldn't have been good. The one that got furthest into development was an early 3D beat m up that just didn't seem that much fun to play and, to me, completely missed the spirit of the original.

I think it's better this way. I'd love more adventure games that hit the Lucasarts heights (Thimbleweed Park was a fun experience but not at that level for me), but I don't want them to make sequels for the sake of it. Keep making new stuff that surprises me as much as the old stuff did back in the day. I don't think you can do another Full Throttle now, especially now that Roy Conrad is no longer with us. What made Full Throttle and Grim Fandango so great was that there was nothing like it, and it felt entirely new. I'd rather have that feeling more than having those stories and characters stretched beyond their breaking point for fan service.

TripleSun

Has anyone here watched any Let's Plays of Harvester? It's almost always a good watch, (almost) regardless of driver.

Oh man when DansGaming did that for his Halloween events I was in love. Such a great game to watch someone play who reacts to everything.

Did anyone finish the Dream Machine and have any impressions of the last chapter? PnCs are one of the few genres that will run on my Surface Pro 2 while I'm out of town.

Anyone know how long The Journey Down Chapter 3 is? There's no entry on HLTB yet and I'm wondering if it's short enough to beat in one sitting like the first two.
It's a couple of hours long just like the first two.

Did anyone finish the Dream Machine and have any impressions of the last chapter? PnCs are one of the few genres that will run on my Surface Pro 2 while I'm out of town.
It's good, but I felt it was too bleak for what the game was setting up for beforehand.

After a long hiatus the Starr Mazer developers have put an update about the state of their adventure/smhump hybrid.
However, the update is only for backers, and it's a HUGE wall of text, so you are warned:

Imagos Softworks said:
Hello, backers!
Director Don, producer Lindsay, and litigation attorney Leonard, here. We know you all have a lot of questions. Here is an official update.

TL;DR: The Starr Mazer project is alive and recovering from the many months of damage that was done by a legal issue regarding our former composer. A lawsuit has been filed in federal court to protect Starr Mazer and Starr Mazer: DSP from a false copyright claim attack. There will likely be some additional delay before we can report that full development has resumed as we finish the lawsuit and seek a new publishing partner. We have team members ready to go. We are sorry for all of the turmoil and especially for the lack of an update to you, our backers.

First, an Apology

We are incredibly sorry for the delay in officially updating all of you via Kickstarter. In this update, we hope to shed some light as to why as well as explain some of the circumstances that we’ve faced over the last year. We had hoped to post this update during the summer when we assumed the lawsuit would have had more answers, but it has taken longer than we initially expected. We are not trying to offer an excuse or scapegoat, we take full responsibility for not updating you sooner. We just want to offer information and an understanding of our position.

Development Recap: 2015-2016

Our entire team was blown away by the support we received in early 2015 with the successful Kickstarter launch. Development was proceeding in full swing from 2015 through most of 2016. During 2015 development, we built an engine and spent many weeks slotting content into that engine before PAX West 2015. This alpha-level demo included point-and-click elements, SHMUP elements, and a small story that would be built into a larger story for the main game. This was shown off on the PAX Twitch Stream as well as at the Adult Swim Games booth.
While the engine was functional, we found it to be incredibly difficult to efficiently slot content into the game. Since Starr Mazer is a semi-procedural game, each asset required a huge amount of effort to define its place in the game and how it would interact with other assets. We determined that the time cost to get content into the game was prohibitive and we would either need to rebuild the engine entirely or build a toolset to accommodate. We, very publically, chose the latter and were open about Starr Mazer being pushed into 2016 due to the addition of the toolset, affectionately named Mazer Maker. This was announced near fall of 2015 on our thrice-weekly Twitch stream on which we interacted with backers and viewers three times a week, every week, for all of 2015 and half of 2016.
As we spun up development on the toolset we amicably separated with Adult Swim Games, with whom we mutually agreed that the Starr Mazer suite was better handled in whole by a single publisher. We found that publisher in AGM/Playism. From early 2016 to autumn 2016 we worked on writing for the game's 20+ story modules, art concepts, animation concepts, and primarily, the game’s engine and toolset.
It is at this time that our internal issues started with our former composer - the breadth of which spans personal turmoil through to publisher separation. Effectively, when the health issues and burgeoning aggression began with our former composer, our publisher lost confidence in our team. This was only explained to us fully in a recent meeting this month with our current publisher representatives at Playism. As a result, development was forced to pause early this year.
To boil things down, the bulk of our development has been put into the engine/toolset with work also having been done on art, writing, and world-building.

What's the Deal with Starr Mazer: DSP?

There has been a bit of confusion around what Starr Mazer: DSP is, how it came about, and where funding for that project came from. Allow us to clarify!
Throughout 2015 we'd been working with Pixeljam on some of the SHMUP concepts for Starr Mazer, as Pixeljam has a strong track record in those action elements, and we have a close relationship. While doing so we discovered that there was a viable game in a Starr Mazer spinoff-prequel. We thought that since Starr Mazer proper was going to take longer, it might be nice for the fans to release something smaller in the interim. A "Fallout shelter" to Starr Mazer's "Fallout 4", if you will.
Funding for Starr Mazer: DSP never came from the Kickstarter budget and was covered by our publisher, Playism. As this would come at no development cost to us (our artists, though still producing concept art, were effectively waiting for the toolset to be complete enough to work directly on Starr Mazer, and could be put to work on DSP assets which could be shared between games), we decided it would be a great idea. During early 2016, our artists split time between concept art and DSP, with our animator focused on DSP animations as he would otherwise just be waiting for the engine/toolset.

Alex Mauer

As briefly stated in a previous section, in 2016 Alex Mauer began to make illegitimate claims of copyright ownership to Starr Mazer and Starr Mazer: DSP.
Initially, we thought that the situation could be dealt with quietly out of consideration for the people and circumstances involved. But, as the last 10 months progressed, it became harder and harder to be quiet about what was happening.
Alex’s wholly incorrect claims did a lot of damage. They directly damaged our relationships with our development team, investors, and community. As you read earlier, we lost our publisher as a result. Instead of creating our dream game we had to start damage control when Alex began to harass our publisher and became more public with her claims in the form of issuing DMCA takedown notices to anything Starr Mazer/Starr Mazer: DSP related.

A Federal Lawsuit

Our response has been measured in an attempt to be compassionate. We initially attempted to counter the illegitimate claims without court intervention. But, as Alex began sending what would become over 70 DMCA takedown notices, it became necessary to file a lawsuit against her in order to protect the games and our customers from further illegitimate claims. We hired Leonard to pursue the litigation against Alex in June 2017. We did so with the generous support of a GoFundMe campaign set up by Leonard to cover the cost of this action.
We asked the court to restrain Alex Mauer from issuing further illegitimate copyright claims on Starr Mazer and any related content such as videos and Let’s Plays. The court granted our request and we now have a court order protecting Starr Mazer and Starr Mazer: DSP from further takedowns. A timeline, including many of the important court documents, can be found here.
The Federal Judge in our case gave Alex until September 25th, 2017, to answer our lawsuit. On September 26th, 2017, we asked the Court to Default Alex for not responding. Later that same day, a day after Alex’s response was due and with over two months extra time to respond, Alex emailed a one-page response to the Judge’s Clerk.
We will be responding with the full force of law in asking the Court to recognize the Default and require Alex to show Good Cause for the delay. We don’t expect that she will be able to show Good Cause.
Once the litigation is resolved, we will have a Court Order showing that Imagos and Don own their respective copyrights as well as a finding that Alex has, indeed, abused the law and interfered with our ability to make our games.
We will keep you updated on Kickstarter about the lawsuit on a regular basis from here on out.

Additional Questions

We are trying to address as many questions as possible in this update, but we realize we may not catch everything! We’ve outlined some additional questions and answers below. If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out to us.
"How much money is left, and will you need more funds?"
As stated during the Kickstarter campaign, and very regularly after that, we brought 80k of our own funds, and the KS funds, to bear to get us to the halfway point of what we thought we'd need. We streamed religiously during the KS campaign, and Don was in numerous published interviews and videos stating this. We thought we were clear. We can see now that we were not clear enough. When we pushed longer than expected, it came at a cost. The toolset was estimated to take between 3 and 4 months, but ended up taking more than twice that. As such, we moved into reliance on publisher funds in 2016. With the stepping back of our publisher after the events involving our former composer, we no longer have that monetary support.
"Who owns DSP considering it was developed by another studio for another publisher?"
All Starr Mazer IP belongs to Imagos Softworks (a brand within Imagos Films LLC). We are set to share income from DSP with Pixeljam at an equal split, but ownership of the title is ours. We have yet to receive any substantial income from DSP, due to friction between Playism and Imagos during the issue with our former composer. That friction has since been dispelled, and a monthly reporting/payout deal has been struck. At present, Playism retains the publishing rights to DSP, but has been very open about being willing to concede those rights at cost or recoup if we find an interested investor/publisher for Starr Mazer who wants access to the entire suite.
"How are you doing with finding new publishers?"
Quite well. We have a handful of very strong prospects and are in active talks.
"How is the development progress on Starr Mazer, then?”
The shortest version is that we have an engine and toolset, both where you would expect them to be with the time put into them. We also have a demo of a new UI that our art team cooked up while we were working on the aforementioned engine and toolset. Both the engine and toolset are incomplete, as they would be at this point; we intend to refine them further as we develop the game proper. We effectively have the machine to make LEGO bricks, the design of many of the LEGO bricks and a tool to help us put the LEGO bricks together. We need the resources to build the bricks and package up the set.
“How has all of this affected the release date?"
We estimate 14-18 months once we're back on track. This estimate is exacerbated by the fact that 4 of those months will be additional pre-production now that our team has largely moved on to keep themselves in work while the core Imagos team works to get the game back on track.
"Why the lack of updates?"
A direct answer from Don: The supporters who regularly followed our thrice-weekly Twitch presence were clear as to the status of development, but it was wholly an error on my part in not reaching further than our regular broadcasts. I realize now that this was an error, and we should have been more widely broadcasting our message than we were. I openly fall on my sword on this one. We were working pretty intensely on having a show 3 times a week, and that show had a ton of backer followers (and others) and I concede that I thought we were doing "enough." I understand that I was wrong in this assumption. Once issues began with our former composer, we began fighting the fires of this problem internally. I was shocked into silence since last year when things went dark. This was an issue that caused a once close friend to become hostile, and a dream of many to be put on hold. It was a perfect storm of personal and professional turmoil. While, in retrospect, we absolutely should have updated Kickstarter sooner - in many moments over the last several months, it just felt too dark and too lonely to do so.

What’s Next?

Right now our focus is on two things:
1. Finish the lawsuit and move on from the entire scenario that started it.
2. Lock down a publisher in order to reboot and complete development.
In regards to Kickstarter updates - we will keep you informed much more frequently as information unfolds. In future updates, we will include news on work toward the two items listed above as well as any art or progress that we have to show. This will be in an effort to inform all of you more frequently, as well as to be as transparent as possible while we try to recover from a particularly rocky year-plus.
We are still here, we still intend (and are ready to) finish development of this game and get it into your hands. We have been put up against some very difficult circumstances and failed to communicate those circumstances clearly to you, our backers. For that, again, we cannot apologize enough.
Thank you for your understanding so far - we hope this update has made the events surrounding this project more clear. Please always feel free to reach out here or on Discord, Twitter, and Facebook if you have questions and want to continue the discussion.

We are doing our best and working, on a daily basis, on this and will keep you updated.
Yours,
Don, Lindsay, & Leonard

Tizoc

Just popping in to say that DanganRonpa V3 is a continuation of the series as it spoils the events of DR1. If anyone is interested in getting it, start with DR1 then DR2 before playing it.
Enjoying it for the most part and it has a magnificent soundtrack.

Tizoc

If i hadnt said it yet
I aim to play if not complete 100 adventure games by year's end
I am already 2/3s of the way there

deadfolk

Is there a consensus on Oxenfree?

Debating the Switch version after I finish Thimbleweed Park. I tried the first few minutes of the PC version which I must have gotten in a bundle and it seems like if might be interesting. I just don't want to play the PC version any more to find out because then I'd have to play through it all again - and as it's a game with two (I think) endings, that might just be too much.

Tizoc

Saw this on Kickstarter and it looks interesting
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...a-point-and-click-adventure-game?ref=category

Debating the Switch version after I finish Thimbleweed Park. I tried the first few minutes of the PC version which I must have gotten in a bundle and it seems like if might be interesting. I just don't want to play the PC version any more to find out because then I'd have to play through it all again - and as it's a game with two (I think) endings, that might just be too much.

SteamGAF liked Oxenfree, although many of them got it for $5-10 when it was on sale ;P
My understanding is that Oxenfree is well recieved so if you want to get it on Switch, or your platform of choice go on ahead mate~

epmode

It’s good. Does interesting and unique stuff with its dialogue system and it’s worth a playthough just for that. It’s not much of an adventure game though. It’s more like Telltale’s no-puzzles thing.

(I was a bit disappointed with the ending but I don’t think it’s a common viewpoint.)

deadfolk

SteamGAF liked Oxenfree, although many of them got it for $5-10 when it was on sale ;P
My understanding is that Oxenfree is well recieved so if you want to get it on Switch, or your platform of choice go on ahead mate~

It’s good. Does interesting and unique stuff with its dialogue system and it’s worth a playthough just for that. It’s not much of an adventure game though. It’s more like Telltale’s no-puzzles thing.

(I was a bit disappointed with the ending but I don’t think it’s a common viewpoint.)

Cheers! I think I'll give it a shot.

Oxenfree is a good game, if you have the patience to listen to people talk, talk, talk and talk.

There's not much more to it other then going back and forth and listen to dialogs, that there's so much of, then you have to take pauses and not interact with stuff to let them finish.

But it has a great art style, and a really good OST.

Tizoc

I am rather enjoying Book of Unwritten Tales 2 a lot more than its predecessors.
The puzzles are nice and the graphics are OK for the most part.

I've finished CH. 1 recently and will see if I can finish Ch. 2 today

I just picked up Dropsy and have to say its such a sweet and obscure game. I get warm feelings every time he hugs something. I'm only really disappointed that I know my GF loves P&C adventure games, but will never touch this game, because she is vehemently against clowns.

Tizoc

Gonna aim to finish Ch. 4 of Unwritten Tales 2 but man this game feels longer than it should be @_@

So here's a great looking game that sadly probably won't make it because asking for 80K Euros is too much on Kickstarter nowadays:

Shadow of the Mask

shadow-of-the-mask.jpg

There's a demo too.

I love, love, love the aesthetic. Looks like something Masaaki Yuasa would make.

Top Bottom