• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click Adventure Thread 2017 - Pixels Walk With Me

KainXVIII

He waits for me.....
Broken_Sword_Goat.png

Awfulness of this puzzle is exaggerated.

sangreal

If I want to play the King's Quest and Quest for Glory games, what are the best way to play them alongside the GOG versions?
There are Fan remakes right?
Looking at my folders I have-
King's Quest 1 fan remake
King's Quest 2 fan remake
King's Quest 3 fan remake
Quest for Glory 2 fan remake

Qfg2 is just fine as is

I'd play qfg1 VGA and then the original 2-5. Wouldn't want to risk any issues with saves between games -- the editor for those doesn't work very well

Futaleufu

Almost done with Wallace and Gromit and overall I like it!
Alas Peter Sallis had not voiced Wallace in the games (he voiced him in the Were-Rabbit movie at least and I think in the 2008 feature), but Ben does a good job as Wallace's voice.

I like the puzzles for the most part too but I am noticing this bizarre issue with Telltale's older games: The game would freeze occasionally from time to time. Nothing major gamebreaking but it is irritating to see, I wonder if it has to do with how the Telltale engine loads data or something?

I don't remember any freezes on the older Telltale PnC, and I think I played most of them. (IIRC the Bones games have been sitting in my backlog for years). I do remember the Wallace & Gromit games being fun but easy.

Tizoc

OK so I'm running Broken Sword using the latest Scummvm ver. which I have instaleld in a different folder.
Thing is there are these black borders at the top and bottom of the screen: How do I get rid of them? Or are they like that in the original game?
EDIT2: Ooh the Black bars ARE part of the game now that I played on windowed. Ah well.

Tizoc

SO I just finished
Paris
in Broken Sword 1, I am still at the begging of the game but all I can say so far is
QONVIyz.gif

If that GIF irritates you, have satisfied Raoh instead
yjHx2PU.jpg
Hadn't encountered any puzzles, but that's fine. The visuals are wonderful, and the animation is nice. The characters and voice acting are superb. I like how George is treating this whole situation as the greatest thing to happen in his life

Remember that most DOS VGA games were 320x200 stretched to 4:3 (non square pixels)

I don't mind that, I mostly play them windowed or if I can get a good aspect ratio applied, in fullscreen.

Also Cooper GIF because he's awesome
rvKFwxD.gif

KainXVIII

Howre the controls in zork nemesis? Has the game aged well?

Dosbox has sensitivity issues with mouse cursor (too fast or too slow), so better stick with ScummVM, AFAIK Nemesis ages FAR better then Return to Zork, it plays like normal Myst-clone, without dead ends.

About 320x200 res - i use dosbox ECE build with pixel-perfect scaling patch, it gives proper and crisp rectangular pixels (only drawback - you may have black borders around image, but it depends on output resolution)
https://abload.de/img/qfg29aswq.png
https://abload.de/img/simvss1g.png

sangreal

SO I just finished
Paris
in Broken Sword 1, I am still at the begging of the game but all I can say so far is
QONVIyz.gif

If that GIF irritates you, have satisfied Raoh instead
yjHx2PU.jpg
Hadn't encountered any puzzles, but that's fine. The visuals are wonderful, and the animation is nice. The characters and voice acting are superb. I like how George is treating this whole situation as the greatest thing to happen in his life

I don't mind that, I mostly play them windowed or if I can get a good aspect ratio applied, in fullscreen.

Also Cooper GIF because he's awesome
rvKFwxD.gif

I swear you're living my life from 6 months ago. I played through all the same games

(and watched Twin Peaks)

...granted I also played most of these games 20 years ago, but still. I went on an old point and click binge recently and every time I come to this thread you're posting about the games I (re)played

Tizoc

I swear you're living my life from 6 months ago. I played through all the same games

(and watched Twin Peaks)

...granted I also played most of these games 20 years ago, but still. I went on an old point and click binge recently and every time I come to this thread you're posting about the games I (re)played

5vRrdaL.gif

I am AT ep. 7 of Season 2, which means I am almost at the weaker episodes which I will soldier through.

walei

Oh man reading this thread really makes me wanna play Broken Sword.

I checked on Steam and almost bought the bundle but see that 3 and 4 don't support Mac...

What is the best way for me to play the Broken Sword series right now if I only have a Mac?

KainXVIII

Finished The Lost Crown second time - what a game, cannot wait for Blackenrock!

I checked on Steam and almost bought the bundle but see that 3 and 4 don't support Mac...

What is the best way for me to play the Broken Sword series right now if I only have a Mac?
Play first two original games (comes with Director's Cut in Steam) with ScummVM for Mac. Don't know about 3-4 compatability (better not bother, they are not aged well)

Tizoc

Finished The Lost Crown second time - what a game, cannot wait for Blackenrock!

Play first two original games (comes with Director's Cut in Steam) with ScummVM for Mac. Don't know about 3-4 compatability (better not bother, they are not aged well)
How spooky is lost crown? :x

1 and 2 are the only ones worth playing.

Oh, cool. Used to be only gog had the original versions as an option, and steam only had the crappy DCs. No one should have to play bs1 using the DC version.

Slaythe

I'm looking for some kind of investigation P n C.

Stuff like Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword 1 / 2.

I have Timbleweed but I put it on hold, I... I don't want to call it bad so I won't, but I have issues with it and I sort of lost interest, I'll get back to it at some point though.

I have Tex Murphy (the kickstarter one), it's pretty alright but likewise I put it on hold and forgot where I was and don't feel like starting over.

I played Resonance and the Blackwell stuff which I thought were mostly good.

Any suggestion ?

I have Timbleweed but I put it on hold, I... I don't want to call it bad so I won't, but I have issues with it and I sort of lost interest, I'll get back to it at some point though.

I have Tex Murphy (the kickstarter one), it's pretty alright but likewise I put it on hold and forgot where I was and don't feel like starting over.

Any suggestion ?

If you haven't played it yet, Gray Matter, from the creator of Gabriel Knight.

It suffers a bit from stiff character models which can be a bit off putting, but get through that, and you got a great adventure game, in a vein similiar to Gabriel Knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEiJoz89yRA

It's available on both Steam and GOG.

Any suggestion ?

If you don't mind having humor and comedy in your investigation games, then you should check out Detective Grimoire: http://store.steampowered.com/app/272600/Detective_Grimoire/

header.jpg

Many reviews says it has a very nice deduction mechanic, where you really need to put the pieces together. Just guessing is not enough.

Any suggestion ?

Have you checked out the latest couple of Sherlock Holmes games (Crimes and Punishment & The Devil's Daughter)? I enjoyed both quite a bit.

walei

Sweet then I guess I will buy the Broken Sword bundle on Steam and just play 1,2,5.

What's wrong with the Director's Cut versions though?

Tizoc

Compiled a quick list of some games I plan on playing through for the remainder of the year. Quote to see the big list :V

Now to get back and waste the next few hours before bed on Broken Sword 1.

Playing Technobabylon at the moment which is an excellent cyberpunk adventure, but I seem to be quite stuck at the moment and getting hints without spoiling the puzzle is hard. Also picked up a steam key of Broken Sword 5 which I've only just started but I'm expecting great things.

Tizoc

EDIT: Anyone know where to find the full 'transcript' or list of dialog in Broken Sword 1? There are some great lines in the first Ireland chapter xp

Playing Technobabylon at the moment which is an excellent cyberpunk adventure, but I seem to be quite stuck at the moment and getting hints without spoiling the puzzle is hard. Also picked up a steam key of BS5 which I've only just started but I'm expecting great things.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell imho
Ep. 1 is waaaaay better than Ep. 2
I am down for more adventures of George and Nico though in the future :3

Tizoc

Just made it to syria in broken sword 1
The choice pf music in the club is neat
If only i could recognize the song though :v
Edit-
"Then I estimate the membership to be no more than a thousand"
This game is amaZing

Just made it to syria in broken sword 1
The choice pf music in the club is neat
If only i could recognize the song though :v

I thought it was an original composition for the game by Barrington Pheloung.

Edit-
"Then I estimate the membership to be no more than a thousand"
This game is amaZing

Ultar is the best. "Sherlock Holmes of the big forehead and slipper full of shag" was my favourite.

Tizoc

Broken Sword 1 beaten!
I felt like the end game was the weakest part of the game but the whole journey was fun and entertaining.
George really comes off as the most American American whoever American-ed :V
I didn't really feel the romance between the two in this game, and was surprised at how less Nico was involved in the game.
BS2 was my first BS so it was in that game that I got their relationship.

Gonna start 2 soon which thankfully runs on SCUMMVM.
Will get a thread written up about BS1 in a bit too.

Tizoc

Broken Sword's 2's visuals are lovely and such eye candy.
The coloring is vivid and easy on the eyes.
I always seem to get the pot broken by the fatso, dunno why I always do that lol

BTW I noticed an odd issue with SCUMMVM 1.9.0-
When I try to play BS2 on it via the GOG ver., it launches and gives me a 'Intro cannot be found' error message. Anyone know why that is caused?
I don't get this with the standard SCUMMVM ver. that comes with GOG tho.

KainXVIII

Broken Sword's 2's visuals are lovely and such eye candy.
The coloring is vivid and easy on the eyes.
I always seem to get the pot broken by the fatso, dunno why I always do that lol

BTW I noticed an odd issue with SCUMMVM 1.9.0-
When I try to play BS2 on it via the GOG ver., it launches and gives me a 'Intro cannot be found' error message. Anyone know why that is caused?
I don't get this with the standard SCUMMVM ver. that comes with GOG tho.
Maybe something changed in codec FMV and you need to download these cutscenes
http://scummvm.org/games

Tizoc

Maybe something changed in codec FMV and you need to download these cutscenes
http://scummvm.org/games

Also The Docks theme is short bu quite lovely :O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJCHHVBTQQ

EDIT2: Ah OK figured out why the videos don't load and fixed it.
Simply put, run SCUMMVM.
Add Broken Sword 2. BS2 has a folder titled 'Extra' in its GOG directory (for example). All you need to do is tell SCUMMVM to read from that folder as well, i.e.
zW0zfr6.png

If you got the updated files from the SCUMMVM page mentioned a few posts back, just put those files into BS2's EXTRA folder, then have SCUMMVM read from it like in the image above.
Hey presto TV2x BS2 with all cutscenes running properly.

Tizoc

Could you post a summary or a link? It'll be nice if someone with the same issue winds up in this thread.

I'll mention it also in the thread I make tomorrow once I beat BS2 :3
Simply put, run SCUMMVM.
Add Broken Sword 2. BS2 has a folder titled 'Extra' in its GOG directory (for example). All you need to do is tell SCUMMVM to read from that folder as well, i.e.
zW0zfr6.png

If you got the updated files from the SCUMMVM page mentioned a few posts back, just put those files into BS2's EXTRA folder, then have SCUMMVM read from it like in the image above.
Hey presto TV2x BS2 with all cutscenes running properly.

Futaleufu

The good thing about Broken Sword 2 DC is the superb quality in all the cutscenes compared to the classic version.

3252C14B33104ED7A7515ADCE4C9154C1C409B50

Tizoc

I noiced that from my playthrough of king's quest 1 vga
That game is pretty short once u know what u gotta do
Tho i gotta ask
Dis kq1 ever even hint at what u gotta do after leaving the castle?

SomTervo

5vRrdaL.gif

I am AT ep. 7 of Season 2, which means I am almost at the weaker episodes which I will soldier through.

Hohoh boy. The weak episodes aren't some monolithic thing. Just a handful of irritating plot lines.

But by god you've got some fucking amazing shit left to see

Oh yeah. Me and my gf have almost finished Broken Sword 2 for the first time. Need to get on it.

It's not quite as quintessential as the first but it's still great so far. Just got to the waterfall place in south America.

Tizoc

Hohoh boy. The weak episodes aren't some monolithic thing. Just a handful of irritating plot lines.

But by god you've got some fucking amazing shit left to see

Oh yeah. Me and my gf have almost finished Broken Sword 2 for the first time. Need to get on it.

It's not quite as quintessential as the first but it's still great so far. Just got to the waterfall place in south America.

Well I had skipped to Ep. 22, S2's finale, but now I'ma go back and watch the prior episodes to get abetter undersanding of the Lodges :V

I am almost done with King's Quest 2 VGA Remake. Overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game. I think if it had an in game map at least to tell you where to go it would've been much better to navigate.
I like that it has a bigger plot than the first as well as having more NPCs to interact with.
The Death Gem was the longest solo stretch of the game IMO.

Gonna get into Broken Sword 2.5 once i'm done then after that I'll play a few more of the fan remakes.

Futaleufu

Who was the smart guy who put the stone/quicksand and the laser "puzzles" in Tex Murphy 2 Martian Memorandum?

Really, what were they thinking?

Tizoc

So here's a PnC adventure game that I got off DotEmu's Online store before it went down, thankfully they provided the installer for the games you bought so in a way they are 'drm-free'.

Now The Abbey was a surprisingly good PnC game mainly for its story and characters. Father Leonardo is a great protagonist and I liked his 'get things done' approach as well as his level headed view on the things around him.
I hadn't played the game in years but I have it on Steam (force of habit) and I plan on replaying it soon.

Recently I learned that there is a 'Director's Cut' ver. of the game-
Fixed link

For EUR 10, that sounds pretty decent to me, esp. for the extra content at least. Now whether these improvements mentioned are accurate (I hope they are) is something that is edging me towards buying it, but I don't necessarily want a 3rd copy of the game :p

Top Bottom