• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Fuz

Banned
Happy the Oak Island people made the budget goal for Ep 1-3. They said each episode should run around 5 hours, so that's a real nice chunk of game! The next goal after that was for voice acting so I thought the game was going without it but apparently that was for the high priced voice actors, so they said they'll hold auditions and stuff. Hope it's half decent. Any way the atmosphere looks cool and definitely the mystery surrounding Oak Island seems to be a fun premise for a PnC game. Looking forward to it!
They're the guys behind Zak:BTaS, right? They did a pretty good job on it, I'm confident OI will be good too.

I still kinda like what Telltale is doing, although I'm definitely part of the audience that fell in love with them during the Sam & Max games and wish they would do more like that (although there are quite a lot good new adventure games out there these days), but my main criticism isn't that they abandoned puzzles for choice-based gameplay, or that the only real thing the choices change for you is the way other characters act towards you (that's all fine by me), but that the writing for those games has become a bit too obvious, which is especially jarring in their more serious games. 'You must make an important choice now' - 'Ooh, character X will remember that' - etc. I wish they had the confidence to be more subtle about it.

I also miss the scenes where you're free to walk around the world on your own. It feels way too constricting for me to be stuck in action scenes or dialogue scenes all the time - I need a few breathing points here and there. I don't even need classic adventure game puzzles there, just give me the chance to explore at my own pace a bit.

These days I'm just waiting until their seasons are finished until I play them though. It's good enough for me to play, not good enough for me to be a fanboy about anymore.
Completely agree.
Also, I wish they let us redefine the keybinds -_- that is so stupid in this time and age.

Playing the Dark Eye: The Chains of Satinav. Just over half way through and its an excellent adventure game.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Be sure to play Memoria after, it continues the story and it's absolutely fantastic. Best Daedalic game by far.

Pakkidis

Playing the Dark Eye: The Chains of Satinav. Just over half way through and its an excellent adventure game.

Just completed the game a while ago and thought it was fantastic. Admittedly I used a walk-through when I got stuck because my patience level with these games have dwindled the older I got. I will replay this though to collect all the achievements then move on to the sequel.

Tizoc

Nearing the end of Broken Age Ep. 2
So far I like it, I'll watch some videos that were critical of it, but overall I really enjoyed the game despite how limited the areas you explore are.

I still kinda like what Telltale is doing, although I'm definitely part of the audience that fell in love with them during the Sam & Max games and wish they would do more like that (although there are quite a lot good new adventure games out there these days), but my main criticism isn't that they abandoned puzzles for choice-based gameplay, or that the only real thing the choices change for you is the way other characters act towards you (that's all fine by me), but that the writing for those games has become a bit too obvious, which is especially jarring in their more serious games. 'You must make an important choice now' - 'Ooh, character X will remember that' - etc. I wish they had the confidence to be more subtle about it.

I also miss the scenes where you're free to walk around the world on your own. It feels way too constricting for me to be stuck in action scenes or dialogue scenes all the time - I need a few breathing points here and there. I don't even need classic adventure game puzzles there, just give me the chance to explore at my own pace a bit.

These days I'm just waiting until their seasons are finished until I play them though. It's good enough for me to play, not good enough for me to be a fanboy about anymore.

Yeah, I don't mind how their games play. There's a place for them just like there is for games such as Dear Esther and Gone Home. My biggest complaint with Telltale is that, lately, they haven't been dealing with IPs I care about. I'm not interested in The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, for example. The Wolf Among Us was pretty good, though. The last episodic series I really enjoyed from them was Back to the Future.

Still waiting for a third Puzzle Agent. :-(

inm8num2

Finally started Technobabylon - played about 1 hour. So far, so good. Great art direction and atmosphere. Puzzles have been minimal so far but I feel like I'm still in the early parts of the game that are focused on establishing story/characters.

Stiler

Hello, long time lurker here but avid adventure game fan (member of Just adventure if anyone here visits that adventure game forum).

Been playing adventure games since the mid-90's or so.

Always had a soft spot for FMV adventure games, Gabriel Knight 2, Phantasmagoria, Tex Murphy, etc. They just have a certain charm that makes me nostalgistic, even if they are a bit "cheesy" (lets face it, no one is going to win an oscar in most of the FMV games).

If anyone has any recommendations for fmv adventure games, new or old, that I may have missed I'd certainly appreciate it.

Also I know probably nothing new, but IIRC with the re-release of Gabriel Knight didn't Jane Jensen say she might make a new one? Anything ever pan out or did it not do well enough? Such a shame if not, really would have loved a brand new GK game.

It seems ever since the Sierra days Jane has never had a "decent" budget in any of her games after that, they always seemed held back by budget constraints in some way.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I recently played the entire Blackwell series and loved them. They have understated but well-written stories, interesting characterization that avoids cliche, and puzzles that tickle my brain a bit but almost entirely eliminate frustration or "that's bullshit" moments.

I'm now interesting in playing more Wadjet Eye games. Here's my question: should I play Technobabylon or Gemini Rue next?

I recently played the entire Blackwell series and loved them. They have understated but well-written stories, interesting characterization that avoids cliche, and puzzles that tickle my brain a bit but almost entirely eliminate frustration or "that's bullshit" moments.

I'm now interesting in playing more Wadjet Eye games. Here's my question: should I play Technobabylon or Gemini Rue next?

Haven't played Technobabylon, but Gemini Rue is an pretty descent adventure game well worth the time, so it's definitely a nice game to continue with if you don't want anything too taxing. It's nothing special from a gameplay viewpoint, and the characters aren't that great, but story is interesting and progresses nicely.

They're both two of the best adventure games ever so do an eenie meanie minie moe on them!

Gemini Rue? One of the best ever? Easy there tiger. :)

epmode

You can't go wrong either way. I'd also suggest Primordia. I think it's the best thing from Wadjet Eye after Blackwell.

Boem

When is day of the tentacle remaster coming out?

I expect Double Fine to say/show something about that at E3. They brought Tim Schafer out for the last two big Sony events to talk about those classic remakes (the Sony conference at E3 last year to announce Grim Remastered, and that Sony event thingy a couple of months later to show the trailer and announce the release date of Grim and to announce that they're going to do Day of the Tentacle). I expect something similar here - show a trailer (if they're far enough) and announce a date, and maybe announce their next project with Sony - could be a remake of Full Throttle, or something else entirely.

Sony has been pretty enthusiastic about doing those smaller projects with Double Fine ever since they announced Grim, and Tim was tweeting about a meeting with Sony last week. If I had to guess, they were meeting to talk about their spot in the E3 conference.

I'm still hoping Double Fine gets to do a sequel to one of the old Lucas games. The remakes are great and I'll play them all, but I know all those games like the back of my hand already. I'm playing Broken Age at the moment (I think I'm about halfway through Act 2) and I finished Grim remastered recently, and it's really making me hungry for more. And we don't know anything about what Double Fine is working on now, except for Day of the Tentacle and the Costume Quest cartoon.

Fuz

Banned

Tizoc

Just beat Broken Age act 2.
Loved it, heck if it counts I'll put in my GAF/Steam GotY list.
Decided to give Bunnyhop's BA video a watch and got halfway through but couldn't stand it.

Just seemed like someone who backed over $100 and was bitter the game didn't meet the expectations they didn't even set or even know.

The Hexipal activation puzzles were easy long as you memorized at least 1 pattern or form, from there it's easy street.

...and did he really complain about the game being geared more towards current generation of gamers and not the old crowd 'as advertised' by the Kickstrater?

I like Bunnyhop's videos, but this just felt bad to me.

I like Bunnyhop's videos, but this just felt bad to me.

I managed to watch 5 minutes of his Broken Age-video, and the question I'm left with is why would anyone watch his videos and what he has to say? It felt like a reenacted and recorded version of a truly terrible forum post.

Karsha

I still think BS2 has the most annoying end puzzle of them all. It wasn't even hard, its just annoying having to move between the rooms and matching all the squares. Even the developer thought it was bad, they made it totally skippable in the ps1 version of the game .

dickroach

with the Steam sale starting I went to see if The 7th Guest, a game I played when I was a kid, was on sale. (it is, $1.49)

any other good, old school point+click games for dirt cheap on Steam now?

szaromir

Banned
I'm thinking about picking up The Legend of Kyrandia series on GOG (€4 for the entire trilogy), BUT I'm pretty sure I don't have the patience to play sierra-esque games where I can inadverently lock myself out of completing the game with certain actions and only learn about it hours later. So, is there any point in playing those games with a walkthrough only to enjoy the atmosphere and the story? I remember playing the first several years ago and really enjoying it, but only to a point where I didn't know what to do anymore.

wouwie

Just beat Broken Age act 2.
Loved it, heck if it counts I'll put in my GAF/Steam GotY list.

Same here. Maybe it helped that i wasn't a backer and didn't have any expectations but i enjoyed it a lot. In fact, having completed the game a few days ago, i kind of miss Shay, Vella, Curtis and the rest of the crazy cast of characters.

epmode

The entire Blackwell series is 70% off, except for the latest game at 60%. I doubt they'll be part of a daily/flash deal EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD BE BECAUSE THEY ARE THE BEST ADVENTURE GAMES IN YEARS AND I LOVE WADJET EYE AND DAVE GILBERT 4EVA

nny

Oh wow, Morphopolis is 96% off on Steam...I don't remember seeing such a big discount. It costs 0.19€.

disap.ed

J.U.L.I.A. - Among the Stars is 60% off in Steam sales:

Y5aVrvx.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257690

Highly recommended, one of the best P'n'C-Adventures from 2014 IMO.

szaromir

Banned

Y5aVrvx.jpg

Although it's probably too low-profile to be featured in a daily/flash sale, it's still probably safer to wait for the last day just in case. ;)

Fuz

Banned

Y5aVrvx.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/257690

I've never been a fan of MYST, and I don't really like the tipology of the puzzles in JULIA... sometimes I didn't even knew what I was trying to do. But nevertheless, apart from some puzzles, I really enjoyed it and couldn't stop playing until I finished it, just to see what was waiting for me next. Its strenght, for me, lies in the storytelling and its powerful "alone in space" theme.
The setting and the writing are excellent, the exploration is very interesting, the research and all the details are amazing and the sense of discovery is absolutely fantastic.
It's been a great, sometimes poetic, experience and I would recommend it to any adventure gamer.

inm8num2

JULIA is really good, and it was just made by 2 people I think. I wish the game had gotten more traction in adventure circles - it's really beautiful and well-designed. The puzzles are on the easier side, but I really liked how they were integrated into the narrative.

inm8num2

Indie Gala has a Black Mirror bundle that includes all three games for $3.99

Never played any of them and have always been curious so I'm jumping on that deal.

Good choice - I really like those games. All very dark, gothic, atmospheric, etc. The first game has some annoying backtracking and poor voice acting, while the sequels improve upon the technical and design elements of the first title. The puzzles are mostly inventory based IIRC, with some mechanical or logic/slider type puzzles as well. Overall the trilogy is definitely worth playing.

inm8num2

The 25 Best Adventure Games Ever Made (RPS)

1. Day Of The Tentacle
2. The Longest Journey
3. Sam & Max: Hit The Road
4. Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis
5. Grim Fandango
6. Toonstruck
7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
8. Space Quest IV
9. Time Gentlemen Please
10. The Dig
11. Kentucky Route Zero
12. Full Throttle
13. Machinarium
14. To The Moon
15. Broken Sword
16. Fahrenheit
17. Gabriel Knight
18. The Blackwell Series
19. The Walking Dead
20. Discworld Noir
21. Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People
22. Spycraft: The Great Game
23. The Pandora Detective
24. Police Quest III
25. Dragonsphere

I like PQ3 getting some love. GK is much too low for my taste, but I've come to accept that most "best adventures" lists are going to be dominated by LucasArts games. At least SQ4 made the top ten! :p

Card Boy

Banned
Not a bad list but no Gemini Rue, Beneath a Steel Sky, Blade Runner and Monkey Island 1 invalidates it. Although To the Moon is great it's not a proper PnC, it's basically an RPG maker game without the combat. Also doesn't Fahrenheit have a mixed reception?

Based on his recent writing about the genre, I wouldn't hold John Walker as any kind of authority when it comes to adventure games, and I can't say that putting the massively overrated The Longest Journey as #2 changes my mind about it exactly.

Card Boy

Banned
Based on his recent writing about the genre, I wouldn't hold John Walker as any kind of authority when it comes to adventure games, and I can't say that putting the massively overrated The Longest Journey as #2 changes my mind about it exactly.

Longest Journey is amazing and deserves the spot. If we are talking about Dreamfall: The Longest Journey then yes i agree.

Longest Journey is amazing and deserves the spot. If we are talking about Dreamfall: The Longest Journey then yes i agree.

Top 25? Sure.
Second best? Can's see that making sense from any angle really.
It has quite bad puzzles, an uneven pace, and runs out of steam by being far far too long.

Sloane

Banned
inm8num2;167572369[URL="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/12/best-adventure-games/" said:
The 25 Best Adventure Games Ever Made[/URL] (RPS)
Pretty decent list although I'd personally put Blade Runner, The Last Express, The Secret of Monkey Island, and The Riddle of Master Lu on it, too. Probably instead of The Dig (who liked that game anyway?), Strong Bad, Dragonsphere, and whatever.

(I guess Blade Runner, Monkey Island, and Master Lu are at least arguable but no The Last Express? Really, guys?)

Mr_Zombie

The 25 Best Adventure Games Ever Made (RPS)

I like PQ3 getting some love. GK is much too low for my taste, but I've come to accept that most "best adventures" lists are going to be dominated by LucasArts games. At least SQ4 made the top ten! :p

What is Fahrenheit doing on the list? And what is it doing there being higher than a Gabriel Knight game (no matter whether we talk about the whole series or a specific game)?

And I agree with Sloane - the lack of The Last Express on the list is bothersome.

jimi_dini

What a weird list.
Fahrenheit in front of Gabriel Knight? And Walking Dead just a bit after Gabriel Knight?
Fahrenheit wasn't that bad, but the last half of the game is simply crazy and stupid.
Gabriel Knight is one of the best adventure games ever. Everything about it is top-notch.

To me it seems nothing is in order or makes sense.

Where is Quest for Glory series? Where is Leisure Suit Larry? Where is King's Quest? Where is Colonel's Bequest?

And why mention ScummVM for Day of the Tentacle only?

ScummVM is able to run: DOTT, Sam&Max, Fate Of Atlantis, Toonstruck, Space Quest IV, Full Throttle, The Dig, Broken Sword and Police Quest III.

Fjordson

Gemini Rue is one of my all-time favourites also. I rarely replay adventure games, but I beat that shit three times I enjoyed it so much. And the third playthrough was the iPhone version lol.

I think there's something about cyberpunk which works really well in the genre.

Blade Runner, Gemini Rue and Technobabylon are all pretty much masterpieces.

BluWacky

List wars time, I guess!

I own 18 of these and... have completed most of those!

Never got around to Toonstruck, Full Throttle (I KNOW!), Walking Dead, Discworld Noir (unbuyable and unplayable on most modern systems isn't it?), Strong Bad, Spycraft, Pandora Directive (I played Under A Killing Moon and hated it).

Pretty decent list although I'd personally put Blade Runner, The Last Express, The Secret of Monkey Island, and The Riddle of Master Lu on it, too. Probably instead of The Dig (who liked that game anyway?), Strong Bad, Dragonsphere, and whatever.

Me! I loved The Dig and still do. Perhaps in a more analytical way it's not that good, but:

i) Likeable - or at least interesting - characters (I know others find them flat)
ii) Logical puzzles, except the turtle resurrection which I never get right...
iii) Looks great

jimi_dini said:
And why mention ScummVM for Day of the Tentacle only?

Because all the other titles you mention are legally available from GOG or Steam, whereas DotT - until the remaster - is not currently available for purchase.

Mr_Zombie

Discworld Noir (unbuyable and unplayable on most modern systems isn't it?)

I played it on Windows 7. I remember there were some issues (I think the game crashed every now and then) but nothing that wouldn't be solvable and/or annoying enough to make you stop playing.

Probably instead of The Dig (who liked that game anyway?),

Wait, are we hating The Dig now? Shame on you! The game was great; some puzzles were hard (I remember I needed a solution for the programming puzzle because I didn't get it at first) but at the same time really interesting and solving them was satisfying; because you were on an alien planet, with alien technology and weird flora and fauna that you (as in: your character) don't really understand, you had to think outside the box. Also, I was surprised at how brutal the game could be. I mean, the first shock was when
Brink fell off a cliff and died
but later, when he
cut off his hand
I was really shocked. I didn't expect that in a Lucas Arts adventure game.

Not to mention, the game has fantastic art direction and beautiful music.

ii) Logical puzzles, except the turtle resurrection which I never get right...

The trick with the turtle puzzle was that the game allowed you to insert turtles' bones the wrong way - they fitted and the whole skeleton looked right, even though some bones weren't put in their proper places. And thus the turtle couldn't be resurrected and you had no idea what's wrong.

inm8num2

(I guess Blade Runner, Monkey Island, and Master Lu are at least arguable but no The Last Express? Really, guys?)

What is Fahrenheit doing on the list? And what is it doing there being higher than a Gabriel Knight game (no matter whether we talk about the whole series or a specific game)?

And I agree with Sloane - the lack of The Last Express on the list is bothersome.

I hadn't even realized The Last Express was missing. That's easily a top 10 adventure game of all time, probably top 5 for me.

What a weird list.
Fahrenheit in front of Gabriel Knight? And Walking Dead just a bit after Gabriel Knight?
Fahrenheit wasn't that bad, but the last half of the game is simply crazy and stupid.
Gabriel Knight is one of the best adventure games ever. Everything about it is top-notch.

It's my #1. :)

Top Bottom