• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

Where is Quest for Glory series?

Article specifically said that the Quest for Glory series is awesome, but they're counting it as more RPG than Adventure game.

Haven't played a lot of the games on the list, but Day of the Tentacle is my favorite adventure game that qualifies (my favorite adventure game is Ghost Trick but that's not on PC).

I replayed Space Quest IV just a few weeks ago and I really don't think it holds up very well. The puzzles are weak, the game pads itself out with several random death moments (moments where you're trying to avoid an enemy with a random movement or firing pattern), and outside the central joke of tying time travel to game sequels/prequels, I didn't find it that funny. But then, I've always been a heathen who prefers SQ5 & SQ3 to 4.

Sloane

Banned
Wait, are we hating The Dig now? Shame on you!
Fair enough, probably should have left it at that it wouldn't have made my top 25 -- although I was always kind of under the impression that it was one of the lesser liked LucasArts titles.

Might have been just me though; I played and liked or loved every single one of their adventure games beginning with Maniac Mansion, and The Dig was the first one that didn't really click with me. Probably didn't help that it also more or less marked the end of an era for LucasArts, so I might be blaming it for more than it's actually at fault.

As for why it didn't click, I wish I could figure that out. I think, as a kid, I felt like it was missing the charme of LucasArts' previous games and it reminded me way too much of Myst, which I loathed, but that's probably just scratching the surface.

I kind of guess that I would appreciate The Dig a lot more if it was released today and if it had not been (in my childish mind) the "follow up" to MI2, FoA, DOTT, and Sam & Max.

epmode

Article specifically said that the Quest for Glory series is awesome, but they're counting it as more RPG than Adventure game.
I feel like Quest for Glory is more of an adventure game than To the Moon! But whatever, I like reading lists like these. It even got me to pick up Toonstruck which I somehow didn't even know existed.
But then, I've always been a heathen who prefers SQ5 & SQ3 to 4.

That just means you have good taste. SQ5 is my favorite. Too bad it never got voice acting.

In other news, GOG really needs to pick up The Neverhood and Discworld Noir.

Tizoc

Man the announcement of the new TF game just reminded me how bummed I am we may never get a PnC game based on the best Transformers series ever-
transformers-comics-more-than-meets-the-eye-issue-1-cover-e_1327119886_1395592404.jpg

Its a visual novel.

So it counts :V

Fjordson

I think there's something about cyberpunk which works really well in the genre.

Blade Runner, Gemini Rue and Technobabylon are all pretty much masterpieces.
Damn, I'm really excited to play Technobabylon, keep hearing how good it is.

And I agree about cyberpunk. I'd throw Beneath a Steel Sky up there as well.

Edit: oops, somewhere else already mentioned Steel Sky.

Bebpo

Banned
Played through The Shivah, sadly it never gets better than the opening title screen joke and narration set to great music and the great premise of a rabbi based adventure game. Less knock on the game, more just that part is amazing and the best part.

Had to turn off the voices, because how do you add voice acting to a game about rabbis and not spend a few bucks to get a voice actor with a rabbi accent?? Huge missed chance there using the same old Wadjet eye actors from every game (this bugs me about Wadjet eye and makes me turn the voices off sometimes. Would really like them to expand their actor/actress list, especially for at least unique lead character voices in each game).

Otherwise, the game is fine, but the computer password puzzle hunts are kind of eh mechanic and the ending trial & error and having to sit through the title screen monologue each time was kind of a waste of time.

There were some nice touches (like responding rabbi-style being the key), and the mystery part is solid, though short. I actually think it's a very fine early game (other than the ending mechanics), but the title screen opening is so good at setting the tone, I guess I just expected more. Also unless I missed it the game never explains why the main character is so depressed and giving hopeless sermons to the point people are writing him hate mail?

inm8num2

I'm close to the end of Technobabylon...currently in chapter 8. Really digging this game. I'll save my thoughts until I'm finished, but I just wanted to say it was a pleasant surprise to see Christian Bale make an appearance.

C54JH6g.png

epmode

Played through The Shivah, sadly it never gets better than the opening title screen joke and narration set to great music and the great premise of a rabbi based adventure game. Less knock on the game, more just that part is amazing and the best part.

Had to turn off the voices, because how do you add voice acting to a game about rabbis and not spend a few bucks to get a voice actor with a rabbi accent?? Huge missed chance there using the same old Wadjet eye actors from every game (this bugs me about Wadjet eye and makes me turn the voices off sometimes. Would really like them to expand their actor/actress list, especially for at least unique lead character voices in each game)

The Shivah was Dave Gilbert's/Wadjet Eye's first commercial game. Even if you played the touched up re-release, I believe it's the same voice acting as before.

BluWacky

Man the announcement of the new TF game just reminded me how bummed I am we may never get a PnC game based on the best Transformers series ever-

Yes, Transformers, that franchise well known for its thoughtfulness and situations that would require the use of puzzle solving rather than giant robot vehicles punching each other. Of course.

(seriously? A Transformers adventure game? Why do you want one?????)

So it counts :V

While I don't REALLY want to go down this discussion hole... the Phoenix Wright games and the Zero Escape series are probably the only VNs that would be eligible in my eyes for such a list (Ghost Trick is not a VN by any means and is infinitely better for it). Most VNs don't even have the "point" part of "point and click"...

Tizoc

Yes, Transformers, that franchise well known for its thoughtfulness and situations that would require the use of puzzle solving rather than giant robot vehicles punching each other. Of course.

(seriously? A Transformers adventure game? Why do you want one?????)
The very comic series I mentioned does exactly that (replace puzzles with mystery though :V)
There's more to the franchise than just action, and I mention that series in particular as it has characters that can work in an adventure game setting (solving a mystery, etc.)

And really I just want more James Roberts TF stuff :V

The 25 Best Adventure Games Ever Made (RPS)

1. Day Of The Tentacle
2. The Longest Journey
3. Sam & Max: Hit The Road
4. Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis
5. Grim Fandango
6. Toonstruck
7. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
8. Space Quest IV
9. Time Gentlemen Please
10. The Dig
11. Kentucky Route Zero
12. Full Throttle
13. Machinarium
14. To The Moon
15. Broken Sword
16. Fahrenheit
17. Gabriel Knight
18. The Blackwell Series
19. The Walking Dead
20. Discworld Noir
21. Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People
22. Spycraft: The Great Game
23. The Pandora Detective
24. Police Quest III
25. Dragonsphere

I like PQ3 getting some love. GK is much too low for my taste, but I've come to accept that most "best adventures" lists are going to be dominated by LucasArts games. At least SQ4 made the top ten! :p

Number 1 is fair. I'd have FATE higher (DOTT & FATE are defo the two best P&C games ever, I find it very hard to say which is 1 & which is 2).

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge & Time Gentlemen Please/Ben There, Dan That! are too low for me personally. Good to see Broken Sword, The Blackwell Series & Discworld Noir. This is a good list from someone who enjoys P&C games.

My personal one would be:

1. Indiana Jones & The Fate Of Atlantis
2. Day Of The Tentacle
3. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge
4. Time Gentlemen Please/Ben There Dan That
5. Monkey Island
6. Broken Sword
7. Discworld Noir
8. The Blackwell Series
9. Broken Sword 2
10. Simon the Sorcerer
11. Maniac Mansion
12. Phoenix Wright : Ace Attorney (the ds edition with "Rise from the Ashes")
13. Sam and Max Hit The road
14. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
15. Curse of Monkey Island
16. Primordia
17. Beneath a Steel Sky
18. Flight of the Amazon Queen
19. Zak Mckracken
20. Star Trek : A Final Unity
21. Loom
22. Discworld 2
23. Innocent Until Caught/Guilty
24. The Dig
25. Touch Detective\Touch Detective 2 ½ (Still hoping 3 gets localised. Atlus pls)

I make an honest admission that I *REALLY* need to replay the sierra games one of these days.

inm8num2

I have finished Technobabylon - took about 7.5 hours overall. Really enjoyed it! The puzzles start off easy and progress to higher difficulty - they're never "hard" but are logical and fair, requiring a bit of lateral thinking in a couple cases. Latha's puzzles were my favorite, since they generally involved a wider scope mixing Trance and "meatspace". Loved the story and how it weaved various topics together, from genetic engineering to internet/technology addiction. The playable characters were likable and mostly well-acted. Artwork was gorgeous.

Among the major decisions I made -
saving the biobomber, arresting the mindjacker, giving control to Central rather than Nina
. I checked the Steam forum and it seems like the dev isn't sure which ending might be canonical yet, but he's apparently interested in a sequel. "Oh my, yes!" :p

It's neat how Wadjet has published four games revolving around sci-fi or cyberpunk themes (Resonance, Gemini Rue, Primordia, Technobabylon). Resonance is still probably my favorite among those by a small margin, but each title is great in its own way.

My deepest thanks to Despera, who gifted me Technobabylon earlier in the thread!

I feel Resonance kind of falls apart towards the end. Incredible up till then though.

Need to get started on Technobabylon now I've finished Samaritan Paradox.

Tizoc

COME ON SONTY, GIMME DIS
1-Full_Throttle_Cover.jpg

I DON'T CARE ABOUT ALL YOU HATERS, I HAD FUN PLAYING IT AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!

Boem

I've been searching for mentions of it since E3 started. I want some news, dammit. :(

I was in a chat with one of the DF developers, and he confirmed that all they had ready for E3 was two of the DF presents titles (that they're not developing, just publishing: Gnog and Gang Beasts) and the news that they're doing something with Adult Swim. He didn't say anything about DoTT except that they weren't quite ready to show it off yet, but that it's coming along fine and that we'll hear more in the near future. I guess the timing of E3 didn't really work out.

hypotc

I was in a chat with one of the DF developers, and he confirmed that all they had ready for E3 was two of the DF presents titles (that they're not developing, just publishing: Gnog and Gang Beasts) and the news that they're doing something with Adult Swim. He didn't say anything about DoTT except that they weren't quite ready to show it off yet, but that it's coming along fine and that we'll hear more in the near future. I guess the timing of E3 didn't really work out.

I'm at ease knowing that it's coming along fine then. Hopefully we'll get to see it at Playstation Experience. Or better yet, it gets released this year.

TripleSun

Holy crap a blast from the past when I heard Monster Mash randomly and it made me remember a PnC game I played as a kid. Does anyone remember "Gahan Wilson's The Ultimate Haunted House"? I was listening to the song earlier and was so annoyed I couldn't remember the name of the game but finally found it haha. I remember being so scared of failing the time limit.

SOME-MIST

"In April I wrote about a crazy project that had smashed Kickstarter.com and had the potential to be one of the most interesting video games to grace our screens in a long while. Armikrog is a stop-motion, clay animated, point-and-click, puzzle adventure game with a heavy emphasis on narrative.

Armikrog is the spiritual successor to the critically acclaimed game The Neverhood. The Neverhood was the product built from Pencil Test Studio’s relationship with artist Doug TenNapel under the Dreamworks banner; they all worked together on Earthworm Jim back in the day. The trio teamed up again, acquiring a ton of talent along the way, to bring an all new game to the rabid fans of The Neverhood and gamers who look for something a little more from their gaming experience.

This week I had the chance to demo Armikrog with Mike Dietz, half of Pencil Test Studios, whom, along with Ed Schofield, is responsible for bringing TenNapel’s Tommynaught and the fortress Armikrog to life.

Mike Dietz is a bad, bad man. Dietz is one of the most badass animators working in video games today. I dare you to find me a team of animators who have put as much time and tangible, physical labour into a project as the fellas from Pencil Test. Dietz has animated a number of prolific games such as Earthworm Jim, Disney’s Aladdin, The Neverhood and Skull Monkeys. In 2008 Dietz won an Annie award for his dedicated leadership as the animation director on Pixar’s Ratatouille video game.

Mike fired up a beta build of Armikrog and handed me the mouse.”

http://eat-pray-game.com/epg/2015/6/19/armikrog-e3-preview

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can someone please recommend me good modern horror/adventure games? Not the old games, mind you, but something more recent. I want to absorb as much story and dialogue as possible. Fully voiced will be cool.

Thanks.

epmode

Can someone please recommend me good modern horror/adventure games? Not the old games, mind you, but something more recent. I want to absorb as much story and dialogue as possible. Fully voiced will be cool.

Thanks.

If you're into horror or unusual themes, The Cat Lady is pretty bleak. It opens with your character contemplating suicide and goes from there.

inm8num2

Yea, The Cat Lady is an amazing horror adventure. Unforgettable story. Probably my favorite adventure game of the past few years.

While Black Mirror is old (2003), the sequels are somewhat modern (5-6 years old). Really effective gothic horror atmosphere. Enjoyable gameplay with a variety of puzzles. I'd recommend playing the first game before II and III, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Dark Fall 3: Lost Souls is also worthwhile - that one's a supernatural horror, if you don't mind first-person slideshow type adventures.

Agremont

Not sure if it's exactly point n click but I just picked up Tesla Effect on the Steam sale. Kind of a charming game and I'm already stuck in the beginning.

Top Bottom