• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB XII: The Final CoroCountdown

Elfteiroh

I think it would be better than Grass/Dark at least. Grass/Dark was awful before Gen VI and now the type got one more weakness to worry about. Depending of Chespin3's stats, I think it wouldn't be that bad as Grass/Rock. That said, there are better type combos, like Grass/Steel, but I can't picture Chespin3 having this type.

Ah, I don't nickname my Pokémon, but I'd like to say my Fennekin will definitely be male and fabulous.

Grass/Dark got 6 X2, 1 X4, 6 /2 and one immunity.
Grass/Rock got 4 X2 and 2 /2
Bye sheer number, yeah, dark is worst, but the ratio Weakness/Resist is better in it's case (almost 1:1 in favor of resist because of the immune) and I think it would be more useful.

BUT! When you look at the actual strengths of each types, I tend to agree Rock could be better, as it adds strong attacks against Bug, Fire, Flying and Ice, 4 of the 5 weaknesses of Grass (but only 2 of the remaining 4 weaknesses of the combination)
... And looking at it, Grass/Ground is actually pretty lame too. :/
... Grass is such a "meh" type... It's hard to find good combinations with it. (sadly, as thematically, grass is one of my favorite type)

Dr. Buni

Sorry, the monkey trio went extinct. No longer in the Pokédex.
Madness!
... Grass is such a "meh" type... It's hard to find good combinations with it. (sadly, as thematically, grass is one of my favorite type)
My thoughts exactly. The type is kind of weak, but my favorite conceptually. Well, at least among the tree starter types. Still, looking at Haribooru's bulky design, I think Grass/Steel would fit well and it could make it a decent Pokémon. Isn't Ferrothorn in the OU tier, after all?

backlot

Yes but that's with the Dark and Ghost resistances in tact. Without Dark/Ghost resistances, how will Ferrothorn fair? It'll be way less of a threat, especially because of Gengar.
Dark and Ghost aren't really huge offensive threats in general so I don't think it matters too much for Ferrothorn. He already feared Gengar because of Focus Blast and I still think that would be a better move to use against him than neutral Shadow Ball.

Dr. Buni

Yes but that's with the Dark and Ghost resistances in tact. Without Dark/Ghost resistances, how will Ferrothorn fair? It'll be way less of a threat, especially because of Gengar.
You're right, but would losing the Dark-type resistance make Ferrothorn that much worse? I know Ghost is a decent attacking type with Shadow Ball and all, but... Dark? Still, besides Grass/Steel, what other type combo would fit Chespin without making it a crappy Pokémon?
Why not give them... And I'm going to be a little bold here. Normal evolutions?
I am going to sound a bit egoist here, but if Mawile (my fave) didn't get a normal evolution, I don't want other Pokémon to get either. It is Mega for them or nothing imo. :p

Revven

Dark and Ghost aren't really huge offensive threats in general so I don't think it matters too much for Ferrothorn. He already feared Gengar because of Focus Blast and I still think that would be a better move to use against him than neutral Shadow Ball.

Focus Blast miss rate hurts so much :(.......

Elfteiroh

Madness!

My thoughts exactly. The type is kind of weak, but my favorite conceptually. Well, at least among the tree starter types. Still, looking at Haribooru's bulky design, I think Grass/Steel would fit well and it could make it a decent Pokémon. Isn't Ferrothorn in the OU tier, after all?

1 X2 (fighting), 1 X4 (fire), 8(!) /2 (Fairy, Psy, Dragon and Electric amongst others), 1 /4 (Grass) and 1 immune (poison)
It's also strong (and stabbed) against: Water, Rock, Ground, Ice and Fairy.
Yeah... Would actually be great! Still, Fire and Fighting attacks are pretty common, no?

RomanceDawn

I think a Mega Primeape would tear a hole in the fabric of reality with its sheer badassery.

I long for a Primeape buff. During the gold and silver days I was the first person at my school to truly realize the value fighting Pokemon had gained. Primeape was my MVP during so many real life battles as well as Pokemon stadium 2. It's still my favorite but with each generation he just gets outclassed more and more.

He used to have speed going for him as a fighting type. Now Blazekin, Mienshao and Infernape are the super choices when it comes to speed. While Vital Spirit is great for taking on Darkrais that don't carry psychic moves, for the most part, something like Moxie would have been so much more welcome. His only priority move is special based as well...

He needs a new ability, some form of evolution, and a useful priority attack.

backlot

1 X2 (fighting), 1 X4 (fire), 8(!) /2 (Fairy, Psy, Dragon and Electric amongst others), 1 /4 (Grass) and 1 immune (poison)
It's also strong (and stabbed) against: Water, Rock, Ground, Ice and Fairy.
Yeah... Would actually be great! Still, Fire and Fighting attacks are pretty common, no?
Fire and Fighting attacks are common because of Steel types like Ferrothorn. They're usually pretty easy to see coming though.

Can anyone give a nice through explaining on how the Fairy type and Steel rebalanced is going to affect the current popular Pokes?

I didn't felt Black and White much so I'm out of the loop of the Metagame. The last thing I knew was Kabutops getting banned in the rain and I found it so dumb I just stop caring for a while.

Elfteiroh

Fire and Fighting attacks are common because of Steel types like Ferrothorn. They're usually pretty easy to see coming though.

Yeah. Even more so with such a small pool of weaknesses.

By the way...
For all my type strengths comparisons, I use an Excel sheet combining every type possibilities and calculating it's strengths and weaknesses in easy to read forms...
I uploaded it on Mega, I could share the link if someone is interested (and if it's ok to do so on Gaf...).

Can anyone give a nice through explaining on how the Fairy type and Steel rebalanced is going to affect the current popular Pokes?

I didn't felt Black and White much so I'm out of the loop of the Metagame. The last thing I knew was Kabutops getting banned in the rain and I found it so dumb I just stop caring for a while.

I don't think we quite know how it will affect it all exactly, but Poison is now more viable and steel only a bit less interesting defensively, while a bit more interesting in the offensive front. Dragons are now in deep s***, but fairy attacks will probably be quite weak.
A LOT still needs to be seen before any conclusion can be really made.

Firemind

Usually, fire and fighting types are hard countered by specific Pokemon. And fighting has one more type to worry about now. Grass/Steel is absolutely amazeballs.

backlot

You don't have to follow Smogon rules if you think they're dumb. Drizzle+Rain Dance isn't banned from GBU battles.

You don't have to follow Smogon rules if you think they're dumb. Drizzle+Rain Dance isn't banned from GBU battles.

What's GBU? I though smogon was like the secret authority behind the Metagame? Not like I cared, I used to have both Banette and Latios in the same team.

Elfteiroh

Nobody replied, but looking at the TOS, I don't think it break any rules and I need to go to work... So I'll post anyway.
If it does break any rules, please PM me so that I can delete it quickly, I won't look at this post, but I will check my PMs often, thanks

If someone wants my Excel sheet with every types and all the possible combinations (not only the existing ones) to see what is actually possible, heres the link:
Pokemon Type Chart Fairytale edition.xlsx (57 KB)
Disclaimer: I use Mega because it's very useful.
I also made this sheet for my own personal use, so the order of the types and the overall feel of the sheet is not really made with other people in mind.
The sheet use very complex calculations for the display of every strengths and weaknesses of each type combination, so I don't know if it will work on OpenOffice or some other free Excel alternatives...

It will be unclear, as these changes that we know of so far can only be taken in the context of how the game is at the moment. However, there are a few things one could glean from a surface perspective:

1. Fairy being SE against Dragon and being immune to Dragon
Attempted Dragon debuff/hard counter - to a greater extent than the others.

2. Fairy being SE against Fighting and being resistant to Fighting
Attempted protection from one of the best offensive types, while not being completely immune.

3. Fairy being SE against Dark and being resistant to Dark
Attempted protection from Dark in the circumstance of a void left by a lack of Fighting types.

4. Fairy being resistant to Bug
Attempted protection against the recently buffed Bug type.

5. Fairy being NVE against Steel and being weak to Steel
Attempted Steel offensive buff in the circumstance of greater Fairy usage.

6. Fairy being NVE against Poison and being weak to Poison
Attempted Poison offensive buff in the circumstance of greater Fairy usage.

7. Steel losing Dark and Ghost resistance
In the circumstance of Steel types gaining greater play, they lose resistances to some offensive types to compensate. Hence, counteracting Dark's nerf and buffing Ghost a bit.

8. Fairy being NVE against Fire
Attempted Fire defensive buff. It doesn't take SE damage because Fire is already a great offensive type.

All of the changes seem to be not to balance the entire type table, but rather to support Fairy's place in the natural order of things. It also speaks to a more straightforward type relationship this time around, being more patchy than Dark and Steel were.

Only a month before we find out what other changes are in store...

(note: feel free to correct me if I was wrong on any of the above points, didn't really look towards specific Pokemon)
What's GBU? I though smogon was like the secret authority behind the Metagame? Not like I cared, I used to have both Banette and Latios in the same team.
Global Battle Union - it's the name of the online system, put in place in Gen 5, that oversees online cart play between players. Along with Dream World, Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter, they make up the services collectively known as Pokemon Global Link.

http://en.pokemon-gl.com/

It will be unclear, as these changes that we know of so far can only be taken in the context of how the game is at the moment. However, there are a few things one could glean from a surface perspective:

Attempted Dragon debuff - to a greater extent than the others.

Attempted protection from one of the best offensive types, while not being completely immune.

3. Fairy being resistant to Bug

4. Fairy being NVE against Steel and being weak to Steel

5. Fairy being NVE against Poison and being weak to Poison

6. Fairy being SE against Dark and being resistant to Dark
Attempted Dark offensive buff in the circumstance of greater Fairy usage. Ghost doesn't get it as it's concentration is in status infliction/debuffing.

In the circumstance of Steel types gaining greater play, they lose resistances to some less common offensive types to compensate. Hence, a Dark/Ghost type buff.

Attempted Fire defensive buff. It doesn't take SE damage because Fire is already a great offensive type.

(note: feel free to correct me if I was wrong on any of the above points, didn't really look towards specific Pokemon)

Global Battle Union - it's the name of the online system, put in place in Gen 5, that oversees online cart play between players. Along with Dream World, Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter, they make up the services collectively known as Pokemon Global Link.

Great Post, thanks you. Though I really want to see how it would affect individual pokes, I gets it makes it more real and involved but I can't made it myself since I never played B/W2 and I'm assuming the tutor moves like always, changed a lot of things up.

Qurupeke

Attempted Dragon debuff - to a greater extent than the others.

3. Fairy being resistant to Bug

4. Fairy being NVE against Steel and being weak to Steel

5. Fairy being NVE against Poison and being weak to Poison

6. Fairy being SE against Dark and being resistant to Dark
Attempted Dark offensive buff in the circumstance of greater Fairy usage. Ghost doesn't get it as it's concentration is in status infliction/debuffing.

In the circumstance of Steel types gaining greater play, they lose resistances to some less common offensive types to compensate. Hence, a Dark/Ghost type buff.

Nice post, even though Bugs aren't really that overused. And I don't understand why they didn't help Ice, probably the weaker type...

EulaCapra

I don't get the idea of Bug types being Not Very Effective against Fairy. And if anyone was going to be resistant to Fairy attacks, it should have been poor ol' Grass types rather than Fire. Fairies draw power from nature.

And poor Ice type defensively again for another generation.

Actually, I'm not sure yet about the effects that Fairy has on existing types in terms of dual typing - at the very least, a Dragon immunity on its own is a great boon on the defensive side.

Will have to look more into that.

Dr. Buni

Bug type was buffed? I missed this. What changes happened?

They introduced some relatively strong bugs in Gen V, but the type itself wasn't buffed (sadly).

Scolipede, Leavanny, Accelgor, Escavalier, Durant, Genesect and Crustle are more useful than most pre-Gen V Bug-types.

zroid

Banned
remember when people thought Sylveon would have a type interaction with Electric, because all the other "opposing spokes" on this graphic did?

350px-Eeveelutions.png

Poké-fans are so crazy.
And I'm no exception.

Wichu

Bug type was buffed? I missed this. What changes happened?

More powerful Bug moves, and better distribution, I think.
Stuff like more Pokémon learning Megahorn, the advent of reliable, powerful moves in X-Scissor and Bug Buzz, and one of the best stat-boosting moves in the game in Quiver Dance.

Oh, and the fact that they keep making better and better Bug types. Gen 5 brought us Volcarona and Genesect, both top-tier Pokémon.

EDIT:

They introduced some relatively strong bugs in Gen V, but the type itself wasn't buffed (sadly).

Scolipede, Leavanny, Accelgor, Escavalier, Durant, Genesect and Crustle are more useful than most pre-Gen V Bug-types.

You missed Volcarona ;)
I don't think most of those are used all that often (as much as I like Scolipede, it doesn't stack up too well against the likes of Infernape or Latios), but the variety is definitely great. I think the Juniors world champion actually had Escavalier on his team this year, so they do have their niches.

Slermy

Oh darn. Bug is my favorite type, but most of my favorites are older gen.

ffdgh

I don't get the idea of Bug types being Not Very Effective against Fairy. And if anyone was going to be resistant to Fairy attacks, it should have been poor ol' Grass types rather than Fire. Fairies draw power from nature.

And poor Ice type defensively again for another generation.

Fairys are glowing bugs...people with wings?

Busaiku

How could you forget this.
RyeMnPB.png

Dr. Buni

Oh darn. Bug is my favorite type, but most of my favorites are older gen.
Nice! Bug-type fans are quite rare. It is one of my top 5 types. Speaking of favorite types, most of mine aren't great types at all ;_;

You missed Volcarona ;)
Haha Volcarona is my favorite Bug-type. How in the hell I forgot to mention it? xD

Looking at Vivillon, I fear tha Game Freak is back to their old days of introducing weak Bug-types. Bug/Flying again is so dumb, Vivillon could perfectly be the first Bug/Fairy.

zroid

Banned
I hate bugs, but I love many Bug-type Pokémon. I'm a weirdo, I know.

Maybe it's because I derive some twisted glee from making these damn bugs do my bidding.

Wichu

I don't understand why they are giving Dark another weakness :/ The type wasn't that great to begin with.

My favourite Dark-type is Drapion. He's come out pretty well in this; no new weaknesses thanks to his half-Poison typing, and Steel no longer resists Dark!

Poison is best type.

My favourite Dark-type is Drapion. He's come out pretty well in this; no new weaknesses thanks to his half-Poison typing, and Steel no longer resists Dark!

Poison is best type.

As you can probably guess my favourite Dark type, and favourite Pokemon, is Weavile. My poor little guy :(

Korosenai

why aren't you choosing Fennekin

and you can use both, you know? team balance means shit for in-game runs
Going with Chespin this gen. Hopefully he will turn into the grass fighting knight.

And I just like having different types, its kind of a pet peeve.

Top Bottom