• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go Fest attendees are filing suit against Niantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrowa

Asking for travel expanses seems fair to me, no idea why some people need to make fun of that. Not to mention the irony of calling someone a nerd on GAF: reality check, if you've got a GAF account you are a nerd.

Slow wanking motions ensue.

Niantic didn't ask you to travel to Chicago for the event. They fucked up super hard, but attempts at refunds for ticket and in-game money was offered.
Wow, in-game money!

Not surprised to see defense for these incompetent fucks.

Koppai

If I attended a pudding festival but the festival organizers couldn't supply pudding at the festival, I'd be annoyed. I think the lawsuit is baseless though.
I don't think it is baseless of people traveled to the event and then the only thing they offered was a refund of the event ticket. I would be pissed too. But I also would not spend money to travel to an area for a mobile game event.

Yukinari

lol nerds are just the worst.

jUhAjDg.png

Really pathetic that people think they arent allowed to do a class action suit.

People got refunded so this is not going anywhere. You can try to argue the "I wouldn't travel to this place otherwise" but if that was valid reasoning then music artists would be sued non-stop.

Exactly. We got rained out at Lolla a few times and people travel from all over the country for that. Lolla ain’t about to give you money back for your travel or stay.

Nerds are the worst.

jUhAjDg.png

Really pathetic that people think they arent allowed to do a class action suit.

So if I attended I’m allowed to file a suit for my travel/gas money from my house, which is 40 mins outside of Chicago?

No, it’s stupid. Just as asking for flight or hotel refunds.

Plus, you’re in downtown Chicago. There are more amazing things to do with your travel here than Pokémon Go. Your trip isn’t a total waste unless you were pouting all day about it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Despite being a pokemon fan I never latched into Go and thought it spawned humanitarian crimes. So I was surprised when I saw the booing video. Man I saw the event and yeah, that was a really sad shitshow. Who the hell organized that garbage?

I wonder if the suing will have a case though.

I'm still wondering what kind of chewing out Niantic is getting from Nintendo and The Pokémon Company behind the scenes.

They were ridiculously off-brand.
The presenters couldn't even pronounce "Pokemon" right, and then holding the camera on those offensive and sexually nicknamed 'Mons, just for starters.

There's a Franchise Bible out there that Niantic's heavily out of compliance with.

Holy shit what?

Mr-Joker

Banned
For people saying "But Niantic offered refund and $100 Poké coins" do be aware that you have to accept the refund if you feel that you are entitled to more and the folks that traveled far expecting to have fun an event and catch a legendary Pokémon were only met with frustration as Niantic messed up big time and the refund and the laughable digital in-game money isn't going to cover their travel expense.

Niantic messed up big time and hope these folks succeed with their lawsuit.

lol nerds are just the worst.

Have you ever heard of the praise "pot calling kettle black"?

If not you should look it up as it might teach you a lesson in humility.

Fisty

Ah yes, the old "they PROMISED I could play Pokemon!" defense. There was no goddamn promise, explicit or implicit. You rolled the dice and lost.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm not sure how far it will go, but man I would be equally as pissed if I traveled that far and got shit for it.

if I traveled to comic con to meet a bunch of celebs and see a ton of panels, but they were ALL cancelled, I have no right to be mad? The whole event was to play the game and get special rewards, but that wasn't delivered.

I imagine the tickets had a no warranty clause that covers this exact kind of thing.

This is shaping up to be the Fyre Festival of video game conventions.

EDIT: Damn, beaten.

No, it’s not.

Damn, some of y’all are dramatic. These people were never in danger nor did they pay hundreds or thousands to attend. They were in the middle of tourist central in Chicago. Spare me the nonsense.

And you’re a fool to travel from California for this. It was a $20 event and expanded upon the original gathering we had in downtown Chicago last summer. This always screamed to me as a local thing, rather than something you would travel to like Comic-Con.

These people have money to throw around and should take the loss, because I know they took in the sights of Chicago too. They ain’t gettin refunded shit.

Hydrus

Realistically, is this whole fiasco something that would cause TPCI to drop Niantic and go with someone else to take over Pokemon GO?

JC Lately

This is shaping up to be the Fyre Festival of video game conventions.

EDIT: Damn, beaten.

Closer to Dashcon, I’d say.

And I really don’t know what people expected. Niantic can barely organize a virtual event, how anyone thought they could coordinate a live event is beyond me.

Kenai

I won't make fun of them for filing charges, but I'm not really sure how good of a case they have. I can understand being pissed that they couldn't log in the game (seriously that was dumb) but since no one could log in to go after the legendary, that's why they gave it away to everyone there.

I kinda hope they get dinged for it further though, just because it *might* convince them to stop producing half baked events like this.

I fell off the wagon for this a long time ago, but I feel like Niantic seriously doesn't deserve this project anymore. They were given lightning in a bottle, and they totally squandered it with minimal , animecly paced updates that bled players away instead of engaging them.

Then you have events that go awry like this. Doesn't sound like they're competent enough to helm AR Mobile Pokemon at all.

kyser73

I don't think there's another group who would try and claim their travel expenses back through litigation because an event was rubbish outside the gaming community TBH.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Hopefully this will force Nintendo to dump a competent amount of the millions the game is making back into the infrastructure for the game. There is a very good chance that Nintendo is continuing its tradition of using this new entry into the franchise as a "put the least amount of resources as humanly possible into this project because it's guaranteed to sell no matter what" prop for the rest of the company. Pokemon and Animal Crossing both exhibit this fine title.

Hydrus

Hopefully this will force Nintendo to dump a competent amount of the millions the game is making back into the infrastructure for the game. There is a very good chance that Nintendo is continuing its tradition of using this new entry into the franchise as a "put the least amount of resources as humanly possible into this project because it's guaranteed to sell no matter what" prop for the rest of the company. Pokemon and Animal Crossing both exhibit this fine title.

It's the Pokemon Company that has to make that happen. Nintendo is part of it, so your not entirely wrong, but they dont call all the shots.

I nearly shat when I found out that people were hopping on international flights for this thing. I've played almost every day since it came out and I can't be bothered to drive a few blocks for a Pokestop some days.

People are nuts.
Jesus christ. Proper mental right there. I would, at best, travel 3 hours for something I absolutely loved. That is just too much lol

Matters how good and where they put their contract terms when buying a ticket. Because you know they definitely used some language that said schedule is subject to change and you get nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom