• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of Niantic booed onstage at Pokemon Go Fest. App unplayable, many still in line

Krakn3Dfx

No the game is fine and has been since the 1st few weeks of launch, the problem here was they decided to put 20k people on one place overloading cell towers and no one told them it was probably a bad idea.

The game is not fine, even in small groups of people it tends to crash quite often, we have a raiding party of roughly 15 people who meet up and there's always at least a couple of people who get dropped out of the game either during battle or in the bonus catch section. Not to mention having to reboot the app 3-4 times during a 3 hour walk just to get it to start GPS tracking properly again.

Love being able to go out with friends and play, but it still needs a ton of work.

The true GO Fest took place after the event. They unleashed shit on downtown and we've been all over the place catching legendaries and rare stuff. It's wild, people are EVERYWHERE playing the game.

dark_chris

Gold Member
The true GO Fest took place after the event. They unleashed shit on downtown and we've been all over the place catching legendaries and rare stuff. It's wild, people are EVERYWHERE playing the game.

Man, that's when it really began. Every gym had a legendary Pokemon and since it was so crowded, it was easy pickings like candy

The funny thing is that they severely overestimated engagement, the challenge was really tough and, at the same time, underestimated how many people were going to login today.
Typical Niantic.
The whole idea of this event is also very inviting for DDOS trollers.
Edit:
Meanwhile in the Chester event:
w6tPKlX.png

MFxN2iL.png

vZziiID.png

vyqwR2G.png

05lsWIh.png
What a load of cunts.

Zomba13

It made an absurd amount of money, which is the bottom line, but as a game it made so many missteps.

Dat money though. Not to mention merch and Sun/Moon sold better because of it.

That is true, but it's a damn shame (as a Pokémon fan and game player) all the little missteps that just add up. Like, yeah, it made Niantic and TPC all of the money, it did its job and prompted massive sales of S/M but it also launched without pvp and trading, took ages to even add in any kind of event, took even longer to add new pokémon (and there are more than 700 to add an easy amount to slowly trickle in over the years) and just became boring to play because there just wasn't really an end game. Yes, catching 'em all but outside of that there wasn't much reason to keep logging in. You couldn't trade with friends meaning there was none of the "oh I always see ___ I'll grab one for you when I see one next for your ___", nothing to keep friends going at it outside of the gyms which not everyone cared about.

But yeah, in the end it made bank so why should they add costly features like trading and pvp?

JoeM86

I'm seeing some people try to downplay the issues, even some who were there.

Let's boil it down to the key facts

1. They packed 22,000 people into a 0.49 square mile area without considering cellular congestion
2. People waited in unsupervised lines to get in for at least 4 hours despite it being a finite ticketed event
3. Niantic's communication about the issues were not the best, blaming it on the servers when the servers were fine. It took them 5 hours before they even mentioned that connecting to WiFi will alleviate the issues
4. There were lines to leave
5. The line to get back in was also several hours
6. The 9 hour stream was about 95% a splash page, 4% clips from certain youtubers (all of whom that Niantic invited haven't spoken negatively about the event) and 1% apologies.
7. Junichi Masuda, lead producer and series director of the Pokémon games attended this event and left early due to it.

This event has been a massive missfire and complete disaster

I'm seeing some people try to downplay the issues, even some who were there.

Let's boil it down to the key facts

1. They packed 22,000 people into a 0.49 square mile area without considering cellular congestion
2. People waited in unsupervised lines to get in for at least 4 hours despite it being a finite ticketed event
3. Niantic's communication about the issues were not the best, blaming it on the servers when the servers were fine. It took them 5 hours before they even mentioned that connecting to WiFi will alleviate the issues
4. There were lines to leave
5. The line to get back in was also several hours
6. The 9 hour stream was about 95% a splash page, 4% clips from certain youtubers (all of whom that Niantic invited haven't spoken negatively about the event) and 1% apologies.
7. Junichi Masuda, lead producer and series director of the Pokémon games attended this event and left early due to it.

This event has been a massive missfire and complete disaster
....wow that sounds like a terrible day for everyone. Especially the fans. I'm glad I wasn't there.

A part of me thinks that Niantic should do a formal apology for all of this but another part thinks that nothing will happen.

Replicant

EL OH EL

Well-deserved.

This company never learns from their mistakes. 1year later, spoofers are still rampant but God forbid people who want to know the IV of their Pokémon.

JoeM86

We'll need to see how Niantic's other events this summer work. Chester had similar cellular congestion issues, but as it wasn't a ticketed event, and it was lame as hell, that's not an issue.

We have the Safari Zone next month in areas of Europe. It's free but also ticketed. Hopefully they'll solve cellular congestion issues.

Then there's the Pikachu Outbreakchu tie-ins in Yokohama next month. This is a Pokémon Company event so should be fine

GO Fest next year will be an interesting thing to see, if it happens.

jkanownik

Oh, they're making bank, but companies are always thinking of the extra money they could be making

Which in this case, is probably tens of millions

It is easily $1B+ in lost opportunity. They peaked at 55M monthly users in the US alone. That is more than Snapchat and Snapchat is a $17B company. That is more than Twitter on Mobile as well and they have a $15B market cap w/ $2B in annual mobile advertising revenue. In theory Pokemon Go could monetize better than both those companies with direct monetization and it has more potential outside of the US on top of that.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/B...ile-Users-in-July-Ranking-13th-Among-All-Apps

It is easily $1B+ in lost opportunity. They peaked at 55M monthly users in the US alone. That is more than Snapchat and Snapchat is a $17B company. That is more than Twitter on Mobile as well and they have a $15B market cap w/ $2B in annual mobile advertising revenue. In theory Pokemon Go could monetize better than both those companies with direct monetization and it has more potential outside of the US on top of that.

https://www.comscore.com/Insights/B...ile-Users-in-July-Ranking-13th-Among-All-Apps
Your avatar terrifies me.

JoeM86

The complete incompetence of Niantic is what bugs me. Not only is it making Pokémon GO look bad, it's making the Pokémon brand look bad since general public make no distinction between developers.

oti

Banned

There was absolutely no way they could have kept all those players for a whole year. That's just completely unrealistic.

It would be nice if any of the cool stuff at the even was released to the wider audience playing the game. Living in rural areas still sucks for playing.

Are legendaries going to come out anywhere else?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
w6tPKlX.png

People like these have no idea how much sex is had between couples after rigorous full-body Pokemon-hunting workouts.

I mean. Uhh. Boo, Niantic.

PaulBizkit

The game is not fine, even in small groups of people it tends to crash quite often, we have a raiding party of roughly 15 people who meet up and there's always at least a couple of people who get dropped out of the game either during battle or in the bonus catch section. Not to mention having to reboot the app 3-4 times during a 3 hour walk just to get it to start GPS tracking properly again.

Love being able to go out with friends and play, but it still needs a ton of work.

I don't know if WORK is the right word, I think they just need more servers

XaeonBE

Its the same as with all Ingress events. In brussels we went to a bar during the last measurement. It's way to much data at a small concentrated place. I don't understand they didn't learn out of this

dan2026

Does this game still not have battles and trading?

What the fuck have they been doing for a year?
Just rolling in all their money?

Jintor

We'll need to see how Niantic's other events this summer work. Chester had similar cellular congestion issues, but as it wasn't a ticketed event, and it was lame as hell, that's not an issue.

We have the Safari Zone next month in areas of Europe. It's free but also ticketed. Hopefully they'll solve cellular congestion issues.

Then there's the Pikachu Outbreakchu tie-ins in Yokohama next month. This is a Pokémon Company event so should be fine

GO Fest next year will be an interesting thing to see, if it happens.

I'm surprised they didn't lead with a Pokemon Company event to pave the way at least

DxD

Banned
Yeah, it is like Niantic CEO has never been to a large sport event before.
Sometime, your phone will have zero/spotty reception due to so many people using their phone at the same time.
But this event is worse because now everyone is on their phone in a very limited area, connecting to an app, and all at the same time.

JoeM86

I'm surprised they didn't lead with a Pokemon Company event to pave the way at least

To be fair, that's not exactly a promise things would go well. Look at the Pokémon World Championships last year where they had to block spectators from going because their circuit allowed for thousands of people to qualify rather than the usual three hundred or so. Their venue could only hold around 4,000 people, but they had to block spectators due to it.

It then ended up with rooms like this, a special viewing room

CqUuJTOXgAYKVMu.jpg

Empty.

Top Bottom