• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of Niantic booed onstage at Pokemon Go Fest. App unplayable, many still in line

The whole idea of this event is also very inviting for DDOS trollers.
Edit:
Meanwhile in the Chester event:
w6tPKlX.png

MFxN2iL.png

vZziiID.png

vyqwR2G.png

05lsWIh.png

Boy do people ever suck.

JDdelphin

Server issues aside, I wonder if they had hired phone companies to put up temporary cell towers, if not I don't know how they expected this to work. Even if they offered free wifi the amount of people there would still overwhelm the local cell networks.

That was my assumption- that they'd have a local secure bitchin wifi setup that would cover the park...
-because if they didn't it would be a total disaster.

Do they not have people that think of these things?

It's like they're a real life company run by underpants gnomes...

I mean

Isnt it technically out of their hands if Network providers have to handle the load?

Depends on where the errors are happening. If they can't get internet because the providers are overloaded, then it's on the providers (Not infrequent at huge concerts and such). But if the errors hit when trying to get into the app, I'd say it's on Niantic.

Based on the article,it sort of sounds like the former. As a former Chicago resident, service like Sprint we're shit for me on the average day, so I imagine this just exacerbates it.

oti

Banned
AGAIN?????

A year later, AGAIN????

lol

I'm not a tech guy but having thousands of people trying to get onto the servers in such a close proximity to each other is something that doesn't happen every day. They underestimated the server load, that's for sure. Estimating server load is super complicated though as far as I know.

Not that this excuses any of this. People paid money. Niantic/The Pokémon Company failed them.

I assumed this game would get long-term support after release. Like, say, expansions to tap into the content across all the titles! Hell, they could even charge for expansion packs but keep the starting f2p to bring new people in! With a couple friends any of us probably could have come up with a dozen clever ideas they could have brought in, both free and paid.

I was wrong. Nintendo/Niantic took a cash printing machine and left the tray empty. The original buzz was always going to wear off but there's sooooooooooooo much Pokemon content available to sample from. Of course, none of that means anything if the app still doesn't work correctly. It's baffling that they haven't pushed for better development. They're still incompetent. The great Switch launch has been a distraction but it's the Same Old Shit of the past several years everywhere else. Dammit, I -want- to give them my money, but I've never seen a company try to hard to push me off.

...Sorry for the rant.

13ruce

Banned
The whole idea of this event is also very inviting for DDOS trollers.
Edit:
Meanwhile in the Chester event:
w6tPKlX.png

MFxN2iL.png

vZziiID.png

vyqwR2G.png

05lsWIh.png

Atleast they are havin fun unlike those negative morons from those tweets. It's ridiculous some people think people have to forever behave serious 24/7 after they hit adulthood.

Kinda why i like some of the japanese/asian like cultures cuz that stigma is not there and they just embrace it:p

Atleast they are havin fun unlike those negative morons from those tweets. It's ridiculous some people think people have to forever behave serious 24/7 after they hit adulthood.

The hypocrisy though is that one of them suggests going to a bar is somehow a more appropriate choice, as though that shouldn't be thought an equal waste of time.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The legendaries will unlock either way no way they will leave it to the "challenges" the problem will be when people start the raid and it glitches as hell

LordKano

Feels like we need to bring that pic in every Pokémon GO thread since people are so keen in their "the game's dead" bubble.
6b6ad9cde2.png

But yes, the Chicago event is a disaster. I've read that the allowed space is 0.5sq for hundreds, maybe thousands of people.

13ruce

Banned
The hypocrisy though is that one of them suggests going to a bar is somehow a more appropriate choice, as though that shouldn't be thought an equal waste of time.

Yeah honestly people should just do/enjoy whatever they like to do, you only live once after all. (not anything law breaking ofc tho)

Edit: and without bashing/trolling/insulting each other to death even if they like things other won't like or is cringeworthy to them etc. So kinda havin respect for people no matter their interests.

Joni

It makes sense that the network is overloaded. I remember an event where 15K Pokémon GO players showed up, it was almost completely impossible to connect.

MrBadger

Feels like we need to bring that pic in every Pokémon GO thread since people are so keen in their "the game's dead" bubble.
6b6ad9cde2.png

But yes, the Chicago event is a disaster. I've read that the allowed space is 0.5sq for hundreds, maybe thousands of people.

Not seen much "the game is dead" talk ITT. We can see by this event that plenty are still interested in it.

Doesn't mean it wasn't a huge missed opportunity though.

Not seen much "the game is dead" talk ITT. We can see in the pics that plenty are still interested in it.

Oh there is just a lot of people on twitter saying, " oh there's no one at a poke stop playing a game it must be dead!" Which is annoying as hell cause it's still a big game worldwide.

border

Is Pokemon Go the biggest missed opportunity...ever?
At the end of the day it will have made more money than pretty much any Pokémon game in the last 15 years.

If Go is a missed opportunity then so is pretty much every Pokémon game made this century.

vid

Ingress regularly hosts "XM Anomaly" events that involve a couple of thousand players taking over a significant portion of a city's downtown area. Even those events are logistically overwhelming for the players, local organizers, and the cellular network.

Trying to imagine that player count multiplied six or seven times sounds like madness.

LordKano

Not seen much "the game is dead" talk ITT. We can see by this event that plenty are still interested in it.

It's obviously a huge missed opportunity and a proof that Niantic is just not capable of handling such a big game. Ingress was a smaller-scale game with at best one million downloads, and they just thought they could use the same model for a Pokémon game.

I mean, they said trading would be in few weeks/months after launch. We're one year post-launch and there's still nothing. The way they introduced Gen 2 pokémons was baffling. The app in itself is still an unoptimized piece of garbage.

However, it's still one of the most popular games right now, and possibly ever made, and that kind of ignorant posts in every thread just shows that people have no idea what casual are playing :
Pokemon GO is dead guyz, I haven't played it for over a year...

My first thought. I live in San Francisco, and I literally don't know one person who still plays this.

HardRojo

And yes, it's sad to see the game like this now. All these raids and Legendary Pokémon should've come out a few months later, not a whole year after the game released. They should've spared no expenses for this event and make sure everyone had a smooth experience. But yeah, armchair decision maker so I dunno what could've been done exactly.

udivision

At the end of the day it will have made more money than pretty much any Pokémon game in the last 15 years.

If Go is a missed opportunity then so is pretty much every Pokémon game made this century.

That's the duality of Pokemon though.

It plays it safe, but it also plays it smart.
They always do something new with it, but it's always too samey.
It's one of the most powerful brands in gaming, but has yet to ahcieve spin-off nirvana like Mario.

It's one of my favorite franchises, but I haven't beaten once since the GBA days.

Murugo

Wonder if everyone will be refunded for their tickets after this mess. It can't be fun standing in a crowd of angry players for hours.

That's the duality of Pokemon though.

It plays it safe, but it also plays it smart.
They always do something new with it, but it's always too samey.
It's one of the most powerful brands in gaming, but has yet to ahcieve spin-off nirvana like Mario.

It's one of my favorite franchises, but I haven't beaten once since the GBA days.

Pokemon is way bigger and culturally relevant than Mario ever was.

Boy do people ever suck.

NO FUN ALLOWED

While pokemon go isn't my favourite thing ever, each to their own. This select group of 'LADS LADS LADS' and their 'hilarious wit' is nothing to waste time over. There's a beautiful irony of people who only want to drink and get smashed in their free time complaining about others wasting theirs.

Iolo

At least Chicago is a nice city so people who flew out from far away have the consolation prize of good eats and sights. For what it's worth.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Christ, Niantic are so incompetent.

Surprised The Pokemon Company haven't had words, such a waste of the IP/Idea

vid

Christ, Niantic are so incompetent.

Surprised The Pokemon Company haven't had words, such a waste of the IP/Idea

I'm sure they've had words. The words were probably something like "So you're telling us that over a year after release the game is still pulling in numbers so high that cellular networks and the game servers are getting overwhelmed? We're going to have to get a new money bin."

This sucks a lot for the people who traveled for this event, but let's be real here. This isn't a sign of how poorly things are going for Pokemon Go, it's exactly the opposite.

Top Bottom