• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of Niantic booed onstage at Pokemon Go Fest. App unplayable, many still in line

So why didn’t they liase with the phone companies to have mobile masts on site?

Here in the UK when we have big concerts like Glastonbury the mobile companies install mobile cell towers with a ton of spectrum enabled so people can still use their phones.

Shit, they could have arranged some enterprise grade WiFi as well (laser or satellite?) - would have been expensive but worth it

Damn, the only time I saw an legendary was an Articuno at my local train station when I was almost late for work and couldn't stop for it. It's already the evening of the 24th here in Japan... I wonder if I'll be able to get one.

SuomiDude

Yeah, they've done a good job at distracting people with the legendary Pokémon, but it won't last and they need to be held accountable.
For the general public that is like 50+ million people, there's currently no major problem going on. There's updates all the time and new stuff added every now and then, it is pretty good.

Irony being that Boost and Sprint had tents at the event and were promoting there
Word of mouth at the event was people with Boost and Sprint as their carrier were able to play due to less people on their bands but I wasn't able to confirm or deny that while I was there.

Word of mouth at the event was people with Boost and Sprint as their carrier were able to play due to less people on their bands but I wasn't able to confirm or deny that while I was there.

Sprint was the only provider to bring cell on wheels, so that would make sense. Nothing official, but the talk was that Niantic had spoken to the other three who all said their infrastructure could handle it.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, they've done a good job at distracting people with the legendary Pokémon, but it won't last and they need to be held accountable.
The general audience doesn't give a single fuck about the fest and the disaster it was. The general audience doesn't even know about the fest.

Found a large group taking on a lugia yesterday and tried to join. One of us got put with a group of 4 and I got placed with a group of 12 and my gf a group of 10 despite us all trying to enter at the same time...

JoeM86

Found a large group taking on a lugia yesterday and tried to join. One of us got put with a group of 4 and I got placed with a group of 12 and my gf a group of 10 despite us all trying to enter at the same time...

Should have done it as a Private one with your own unique code

Sprint was the only provider to bring cell on wheels, so that would make sense. Nothing official, but the talk was that Niantic had spoken to the other three who all said their infrastructure could handle it.

I'm not buying that as the sole excuse. Yeah the others could have, but Sprint users were still having issues. Niantic underestimated the load and now people are jumping to their defence for it.

I'm not buying this.

Did they not have local WiFi networks or that wouldn't have helped either way?

I think maybe next time they should downscale these events. Make multiple smaller ones, spread out.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
The general audience doesn't give a single fuck about the fest and the disaster it was. The general audience doesn't even know about the fest.

Only because notifications in-app about wtf is going on are non-existent. Seriously, there's a 48 hour special event going on right now and there is zero info about it. Or how much time is left. Timers for special events are standard in mobile games. Pokemon Go has never had one. No news section. Nothing. It's insane.

JoeM86

I've been speaking to some people in Chicago and apparently Grant Park is a known mobile deadzone.

So Niantic really are at fault because they didn't do their damned research.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
I can't help but wonder how obsessed with this game I'd be if it was more like an actual pokemon game and less...what it is. Imagine actually encountering wild pokemon in the countryside or in parks. Being able to personally train your pokemon rather than just having them feast on the souls of the fallen. Not having a crummy battle system.

Top Bottom