• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

Chuckie

Got my Zapdos yesterday! Didn't want to wait till end of the week, afraid I'd miss him (like I missed Moltres) About 40 people showed up for the raid, so we divided by team to get some extra balls. Glad I caught it with 1 ball left. Now I can relax and cry about Moltres.

Well at least I got five different Unown I guess.

CassSept

I had pretty bad luck with IVs on birds up to now, but with Zapdos I've finally gotten one over 82% and one with 15 Attack IV too! HP and Def leave much to be desired, but for attack purposes that's all I ever wanted.

Up to 238 in the dex now, which completes European regional dex for now. All that's left is hatching 5km eggs while jogging for Tyrogue to complete living dex and waiting for the next update, whenever it comes.

I've got trash birds. I've got a Lugia at 93% though!

Got Zapdos this morning before work! First throw too! Since there's lots of Magnemites around my practice with curve throw paid off.

On one hand I'd love more legendaries next week but I could also do with a break! Would be nice if they had a week with all 4 about, so people who missed out could get one

Pineapple

Are all rare spawns going to have absolutely terrible IVs?

Within the last 4 months, I've come across 5 rare spawns in the wild - a 1203cp Alakazam, 1544 Blastoise, 2245 Snorlax, 1655 Gyrados, and a 1083 Graveler . Every single one of these has had terrible IVs - below 20% on every single one.

Is this just bad luck, or do rare spawns in the wild have a higher rate of having worthless IVs?

GulAtiCa

Are all rare spawns going to have absolutely terrible IVs?

Within the last 4 months, I've come across 5 rare spawns in the wild - a 1203cp Alakazam, 1544 Blastoise, 2245 Snorlax, 1655 Gyrados, and a 1083 Graveler . Every single one of these has had terrible IVs - below 20% on every single one.

Is this just bad luck, or do rare spawns in the wild have a higher rate of having worthless IVs?
Just bad luck. Completely random. I've seen 90+ iv Dragonites spawn in Atlanta each week via scanners.

GulAtiCa

I see Dragonairs in the wild all the time, even without a scanner. Certainly more rare then Dratini. Water spots are a good spot to find them. There is a shopping center by my work that is a big water spawn in parking lot. I usually drive through at least once a day. I caught this last night:

DGwA9BoUQAAgEjO

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Getting a gym network error this morning.

I can catch Poke, and I can hit up Pokestops. Can't gym battle though. Always get the error. :/

GulAtiCa

Getting a gym network error this morning.

I can catch Poke, and I can hit up Pokestops. Can't gym battle though. Always get the error. :/

All gyms? Or just 1 particular gym? Do you know if that 1 gym was recently a raid? Cause I sometimes notice I get that error after a raid ends and I'm trying to take it down.

-MB-

It is obvious there is no point trying for more Zapdos, being on the wrong side of the ridiculous RNG system. Waste of passes basically.

Wasted 13 passes now for 1 shit IV Zapdos, gotta quit before I fly over to SF to spank Hanke.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
now these birds are down its time to start powering up all your dark type pokemon to prepare for mewtew got to get me a bunch more good iv gengars might switch out my charge moves on my tyranitars as well get that double dark

GulAtiCa

I've been very very lucky with Tyranitars. Got myself 4 of them powered up to lv 30+. 2 of which (98, 87) are Bite/Stone Edge and the other 2 (98, 95 both from Raids) are Bite / Crunch. I am ready!

-MB-

Your 1/13 on Zapdos? Damn. Are you get every hit on the bird?

Nor every, but enough to have to count for something at some point.
Excellents btw are a great way to assure it flies out instantly as well.

And my hit and miss rate is no different from Moltres, of which I have 8.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
All gyms? Or just 1 particular gym? Do you know if that 1 gym was recently a raid? Cause I sometimes notice I get that error after a raid ends and I'm trying to take it down.

One gym by my office, but I haven't had a chance to try and others yet today.

Could get it was a raid ending and I missed it. Who knows. Annoying though. Was working last night just fine.

GulAtiCa

Nor every, but enough to have to count for something at some point.
Excellents btw are a great way to assure it flies out instantly as well.

And my hit and miss rate is no different from Moltres, of which I have 8.
Ouch. Yeah, Moltres gave me a lot of trouble, but mostly having trouble hitting it. Zapdos been able to hit every single time so far. I switch between nanab berry and golden berry. 3/5 currently.

You will get a better one soon!

Are Golden Magikarps still a thing?

Sure is. Caught my very 1st one on Sunday actually. Was so excited.

-MB-

Ouch. Yeah, Moltres gave me a lot of trouble, but mostly having trouble hitting it. Zapdos been able to hit every single time so far. I switch between nanab berry and golden berry. 3/5 currently.

You will get a better one soon!

Sure is. Caught my very 1st one on Sunday actually. Was so excited.

I quit using Nanabs, its a waste of a ball, ceding half your chances of getting it for the off chance the 1-2 extra bals u do hit cuz of it gets u the Zapdos.

Qwark

I quit using Nanabs, its a waste of a ball, ceding half your chances of getting it for the off chance the 1-2 extra bals u do hit cuz of it gets u the Zapdos.

I do Nanab on the first one, and then Golden on every other one. I'm 4/5 on Zapdos so far, and 3 of those were caught on the second ball.

-MB-

I do Nanab on the first one, and then Golden on every other one. I'm 4/5 on Zapdos so far, and 3 of those were caught on the second ball.

That is because you are on the good side of the RNG system when it comes to Zapdos. Has nothing to do with the Nanab Golden razz zombo. I used that and it did diddly squat for me on Zapdos whilst it seemingly did for Moltres.

Qwark

That is because you are on the good side of the RNG system when it comes to Zapdos. Has nothing to do with the Nanab Golden razz zombo. I used that and it did diddly squat for me on Zapdos whilst it seemingly did for Moltres.

Until there's proof, I'm going to keep doing what works for me. My post was more to just say that I only "waste" 1 ball, not half of them.

-MB-

Until there's proof, I'm going to keep doing what works for me. My post was more to just say that I only "waste" 1 ball, not half of them.

If you catch it in too, u wasted the first one to catch it on the second.
Besides until the last 2 raids, I used this method exclusively on Zapdos too, and it did nothing for my catchrate. The one time I did catch it it took 6 out of 8 balls too.

And I seen plenty people in the local group catching it on their first or 2nd try most of the time without ever knowing of this method.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
didnt waste the first ball any ball you miss lowers your capture percentage more then any ball you hit
even if its a straight ball as long as you hit him it increases your catch percentage you could also end up getting a crit catch off that first ball just got to make sure you hit him

Dominator

didnt waste the first ball any ball you miss lowers your capture percentage more then any ball you hit
even if its a straight ball as long as you hit him it increases your catch percentage you could also end up getting a crit catch off that first ball just got to make sure you hit him
Yeah I got two critical catches on legendaries. One for my sole Articuno and one for one of my Lugia's.

I'm doing pretty good with legendaries. 4/5 with Lugia, 1/1 with Articuno, 1/3 with Moltres and 1/1 with Zapdos. I wish I could go out more and try. Hopefully this weekend I'll have more opportunities this weekend for more Zapdos.

Got my Zapdos earlier at the first attempt so pretty happy with that, although super bummed I never got that Moltres. As I was in Birmingham I also managed to get Kangaskhan and Unown, as well as a Snubbull to evolve into Granbull which now means the only non-regionals that I'm missing are Ampharos and Moltres.

GulAtiCa

Just did another Zapdos raid. Didn't catch it, so I'm 3/6 now. Not bad. All 3 that I missed were lesser IVs, so not disappointed.

A 2nd group showed up, so I logged into my Fiancee's account to help them. She just now reached lv 24, so a bit low leveled (she only just started playing, she loves it). We beat it with just barely surviving the through the 2nd of her Pokemon group lol. Go Amphalos! Couldn't catch it on her account either sadly. Got her some items at least.

HardRojo

6/11 on Zapdos and 7/11 on Lugia.
Best Lugia is a 91% 2043 CP one.
Best Zapdos is an 89% 1879 CP one.
Best Moltres is an 89% 1843 CP one.

I want to get a Zapdos over 95%+ at least, and a Lugia if possible :(

Do you think Niantic will maybe release all 3 birds + Lugia next week as a last chance catch for everyone? I couldn't catch Articuno (I think I complained about it in this thread lol) because I was on a trip and no one showed up for raids there :(

parasight

My raid luck is finally balancing out for the worst. Caught four straight legendaries. And I'm now 0/4 on my last 4. Zapdos is the one I wanted most too (team Instinct). Gotta buckle down Friday and get one.

It is obvious there is no point trying for more Zapdos, being on the wrong side of the ridiculous RNG system. Waste of passes basically.

Wasted 13 passes now for 1 shit IV Zapdos
, gotta quit before I fly over to SF to spank Hanke.

I came to complain because I was 0/3 with Zapdos. But after reading this... not anymore!

Growlie19

2/3 on Zapdos currently. Vacation made me miss the two other birds, but at least I have my team's mascot! 0/2 on Lugia, might have to dedicate a day to Lugia only soon....

Luxorek

Wasted 13 passes now for 1 shit IV Zapdos, gotta quit before I fly over to SF to spank Hanke.

I've met a guy who was 0/13 for Lugia. We were going for another Lugia at that point, would be his 14th. I really wanted to see his throws, but alas not enough people showed up.

How are your throws? Are you throwing curves or straight? Do you miss often?

Toki767

The nanab/golden razz trick is literally the equivalent to people holding down A or B in the main games because they think it's lucky.

Everything is RNG in the end.

Qwark

The nanab/golden razz trick is literally the equivalent to people holding down A or B in the main games because they think it's lucky.

Everything is RNG in the end.

It really isn't if the Nanab effect lasts longer than the first ball. It definitely wouldn't be their first bug.

-MB-

I've met a guy who was 0/13 for Lugia. We were going for another Lugia at that point, would be his 14th. I really wanted to see his throws, but alas not enough people showed up.

How are your throws? Are you throwing curves or straight? Do you miss often?

As I said before, I have the occasional miss or 2, but i had that with Moltres too. And I mostly threw curved.
I did one raid today again, only used straight throws, had 12 balls all with golden razzies, had mosly great throws 1 nice and one no rating, didn't catch it. It is clear that I am on the wrong side completely of the RNG system when it comes to Zapdos.
And the sole one I did manage turned out to be a 77% IV , says it all.

It really isn't if the Nanab effect lasts longer than the first ball. It definitely wouldn't be their first bug.

It really is, it is basically only useful if u miss allot due to its movement, if you don't it's basically pointless.
You are literally giving up on the extra percentages chance u get from Golden Razzies to have it sit still for one round with purely the Nanab. And if it is clear you are on the wrong side of the RNG and u only catch it once a blue moon, you will never do so on one of the nanab only ball throws.

Qwark

It really is, it is basically only useful if u miss allot due to its movement, if you don't it's basically pointless.

Yes, that is the point of this, to slow movement so that it is harder to miss with subsequent balls.

You are literally giving up on the extra percentages chance u get from Golden Razzies to have it sit still for one round with purely the Nanab.

The possible bug in question means the effect lasts longer than 1 ball. That's why it's not the same as the A+B "trick".

Toki767

Yes, that is the point of this, to slow movement so that it is harder to miss with subsequent balls.

The possible bug in question means the effect lasts longer than 1 ball. That's why it's not the same as the A+B "trick".
Well people are talking like alternating between the two result in like a 100% catch rate. That's the kind of superstition I was referring to.

Magik

In regards to the Nanab berry I would say use it if you are missing around 4+ balls each time. Better to have the chance to catch it than none at all especially if you don't get many balls at all. Otherwise Golden Razz berry all the way cause the 2.5 multiplier is so important.

Top Bottom