• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

Making my way through Union Cave for Lapras. Running into a lot of asshole self-destruct users. Team can't survive it, no xp from the battle, ran out of revives, down to 4 Pokemon. * sigh *

I had no idea Union Cave was THIS deep. Do you get anything for doing those fossil puzzles?

Hmmm, turns out I went the wrong way and I'm a bit underleveled for this section (never thought I'd say that about this game). While stuff like Seafoam Island took it too far, I miss caves and dungeons like this. And where was this kind of design for victory road and Mt.
Silver?

EDIT: OKAY, I'm idiot. It's not Friday.

Magnus

Pokemon games can never become too old for me to play despite their age and it's actually the later games that got me losing interest.

Going back to Silver now I got to say that there's a certain kind of calmness when catching and using Pokemon because I don't have a to worry about Natures or Abilities for once.

Gen 1 is extremely rough to play now this is true. I struggled with it when it was re-released earlier this year but Gen 2 holds up surprisingly well and as others have said at times having to worry less about certain features (abilities, natures) makes the game feel much more interesting to play.

Or do what I do and play all the current games without even looking at abilities or natures, lol. I honestly don't think I've ever paid attention to them, and treat abilities in particular like random surprise bonuses in combat.

Just beat Red. This is probably the lowest level I've ever taken him on:

Typhlosion Lv. 52
Bellossom Lv. 50
Scizor Lv. 48
Miltank Lv. 48
Kingdra Lv. 49
Murkrow Lv. 49

Biggest problem was Snorlax by far who was nearly psychic with the Body Slam predictions when it came to waking up from non-rest sleep. A few Flashes sorted him out. Venusaur kept using Solarbeam on my Murkrow and was faster so I just kept using Fly to win.

Now to work on the Dex. Think I'm at 115 or something close at the moment, been catching everything as I went through.

Bladenic

Just beat Red. This is probably the lowest level I've ever taken him on:

Typhlosion Lv. 52
Bellossom Lv. 50
Scizor Lv. 48
Miltank Lv. 48
Kingdra Lv. 49
Murkrow Lv. 49

Biggest problem was Snorlax by far who was nearly psychic with the Body Slam predictions when it came to waking up from non-rest sleep. A few Flashes sorted him out. Venusaur kept using Solarbeam on my Murkrow and was faster so I just kept using Fly to win.

Now to work on the Dex. Think I'm at 115 or something close at the moment, been catching everything as I went through.

Is Bellossom worth using? Never tried it before.

Is Bellossom worth using? Never tried it before.

I can say that it's a Grass type with Sleep Powder and Petal Dance if you wait for 39 (Oddish) / 44 (Gloom) before evolving it. It's fairly bulky too but slow as hell, good for stalling against the legendaries and Snorlax.

Bladenic

I can say that it's a Grass type with Sleep Powder and Petal Dance if you wait for 39 (Oddish) / 44 (Gloom) before evolving it. It's fairly bulky too but slow as hell, good for stalling against the legendaries and Snorlax.

What sucks is that Petal Dance is only base 70 in this game. But I think I'm gonna skip on a grass type this go around.

I struggle to deal with using Gen 1,2 and maybe even gen 3 grass types.
It's like a powder fest where you lack that versatile grass equivalent to surf/flamethrower/ice beam/elemental punches and the big trump card move akin to fire blast and hydro pump involves the two turn waiting game.

It's like a powder fest where you lack that versatile grass equivalent to surf/flamethrower/ice beam/elemental punches and the big trump card move akin to fire blast and hydro pump involves the two turn waiting game.

Gen 1 grass types that get Razor Leaf work pretty decently though.

*Storms the E4 with just a Sunflora*

w2h2LIS.png

But seriously, gen 1 Razor Leaf is a really good move as it crits nearly every time.

Yeah, she'll buy you rare things that can't normally be bought like a moon stone and dolls to decorate your room.

Yes. Just when you think you're out of cash, you remember she has the rest of it. It's like putting a % of your paycheck in the bank.
Thanks!!!

Is there any way for me to catch a Phanphy without having to go past the ragecandybar guy? I just completed everything in Mahogany but ai guess I have to complete everything to the west/southwest as well.

My team is nothing without him :(

eefara

Thanks!!!

Is there any way for me to catch a Phanphy without having to go past the ragecandybar guy? I just completed everything in Mahogany but ai guess I have to complete everything to the west/southwest as well.

My team is nothing without him :(

No, I think it's in the routes south of the final gym city, unfortunately.
The name is escaping me atm.

backlot

Where is the best place to catch chinchou with a good rod? Been trying in Olivine but no luck.
Chinchous odds are the same everywhere it appears. If you're in Olivine make sure you're fishing specifically on the dock area. Chinchou doesn't show up in other places around the city.

eefara

Just to double-check, I only have to hit Magnemite once with thief, not kill it with the move, right? To steal something.

Chikorita is like the ultimate struggle starter

I just did a bunch of grinding before the elite four and didn't save and now I feel like the same fucking idiot I was when this game came out. I'm a grown ass adult, how did I make such a rookie mistake?

ASaiyan

Banned
I just did a bunch of grinding before the elite four and didn't save and now I feel like the same fucking idiot I was when this game came out. I'm a grown ass adult, how did I make such a rookie mistake?
Ouch. I'm on that grind right now. Stay strong.

Happy Lapras Day!

Remember to catch your's in Union Cave.

Now that I'm done with that, I can continue making my way to Cianwood. Really wanted to use Lantern in this playthrough since I don't have an electric type, but it's Lapras. Maybe I'll bump Nidorina for Lantern, we'll see.

dickroach

just started a couple of hours ago. never played Gold/Silver
kinda bummed I picked Totodile cuz I just ran into a Wooper and I love the way that thing looks. he coulda been my water guy.

Happy Lapras Day!

Remember to catch your's in Union Cave.

Now that I'm done with that, I can continue making my way to Cianwood. Really wanted to use Lantern in this playthrough since I don't have an electric type, but it's Lapras. Maybe I'll bump Nidorina for Lantern, we'll see.
Oh crap I forgot about Lapras! But I'm almost to Cianwood and I don't have Fly yet...

Did they ever say why there’s only one of each evo stone per game? And why they’re only accessible late in the game?

Are there any new Gen 1 stone Evo's in Gen 2 ? I can't think of any of the top of my head. If not it's sort of make sense to 'encourage' purchase of the Gen 1 games.

I suppose you need a Thunderstone to get Pichu into Raichu.

And a moonstones for Iggly and Cleffa.

Junahu

Did they ever say why there’s only one of each evo stone per game? And why they’re only accessible late in the game?
If I had to make a random guess, it would be to keep Generation 1 games valuable. If you want a Victreebel, you have no choice but to find the kid who still has his copy of Red. And that kid might want you to teach his Alakazam the elemental punches

It's easy to consider Gold/Silver in a vacuum, but Time Machine trades meant that they had a close relationship with Red/Blue

Are there any new Gen 1 stone Evo's in Gen 2 ? I can't think of any of the top of my head. If not it's sort of make sense to 'encourage' purchase of the Gen 1 games.

I suppose you need a Thunderstone to get Pichu into Raichu.

And a moonstones for Iggly and Cleffa.

Gloom uses a Sun Stone to turn into Bellossom. But that's the only one.

Crystal fixes this problem, along with some others (Move Tutor is da best).

Big props to The Shadow Knight for that headbutt tree calculator, got me a Heracross for once.

The more I play this game and the more I try to find variety in pre-post game pokemon the more I see just how massively flawed it is.
Not that I ever wanted to use it because...well it sucks but I've only just now noticed that Slugma is another new Gen 2 pokemon trapped in Kanto, add another to the stupidly long list.

Chikorita is like the ultimate struggle starter
Indeed
Yet it's somehow been my most used grass starter, mainly because I just don't care for any of the Gen 2 starters particularly so I alternate between it and Cyndaquil.

Gloom uses a Sun Stone to turn into Bellossom. But that's the only one.

Crystal fixes this problem, along with some others (Move Tutor is da best).

Sun stone is a Gen 2 stone (Fire, Ice, Thunder, Leaf and Moon are the Gen 1 stones), and I'm pretty sure you can get multiple of it in Gen 2.

Big props to The Shadow Knight for that headbutt tree calculator, got me a Heracross for once.

The more I play this game and the more I try to find variety in pre-post game pokemon the more I see just how massively flawed it is.
Not that I ever wanted to use it because...well it sucks but I've only just now noticed that Slugma is another new Gen 2 pokemon trapped in Kanto, add another to the stupidly long list.

Indeed
Yet it's somehow been my most used grass starter, mainly because I just don't care for any of the Gen 2 starters particularly so I alternate between it and Cyndaquil.

New Pokemon in Kanto makes a degree of sense. It's sent a few years after R/B so you'd expect some change, the new Pokemon aren't necessarily Johto pokemon and those extra Pokemon in Kanto wouldn't necessarily have come from Johto. The problem is really that Johto has such poor Pokemon variety, which is exacerbated by the day/night system and very low level curve which prevents the use of many evolved forms. If there'd been more new Pokemon or a better use of Gen 1 / Gen 2 pokemon and level curve it probably would have been fine and even nice to have a few extra Kanto pokemon.

Aleh

I almost always picked Chikorita ever since I was a child. Back then I only used my started so it became overleveled and overpowered, but I never found it hard to use.
Anyways, I got my 7th badge yesterday and now I’m just trying to make Golbat and Eevee evolve into Crobat and Umbreon, but they are both happiness evos and it’s such a sloooog. Have to use a random hoothoot to fly till I get crobat too, lol

Nuzlocke Update!

Version: Silver
Badges: 8
Pokemon Dead: 11
Pokemon Owned: 54 (This includes evolutions)

Current Party:
Meganium (Stassi) Level 40
Ampharos (Tsuyana) level 41
Girafarig (Freed) Level 41
Machoke (Chopper) Level 40
Dodrio (Triface) Level 35 *NEW* *NEWLY EVOLVED*
Staryu (Sloak) Level 20 *HM Slave*

Pokemon in the bank:
Togepi (Eggberta)
Slowpoke (Estra)
Oddish (Zonni)
Eevee (Debbie)
Exeggcute (Jellina)
Koffing (Teddie)
Sudowoodo (Rocktree)
Shuckle (SHUCKIE the gift Pokemon, I'll rename it if I can)
Poliwag (Tassi)
Farfetch'd (Dumass)
Magnemite (Volt)
Krabby (Murky)
Tentacruel (Kist)
Corsola (Korin)
Chinchou (Tater)
Natu (Xed)
Electrode (Sploading)
Golbat (Ila)
Seaking (Docendack) *NEW!*
Donphan (Karna) *NEW!*

Pokemon at the Daycare:
Ditto (Copycat) - I really should see what level it is by now LOL

Fallen Pokemon:
Beedrill (Stabi) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Zubat (Sreek) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Pidgeotto (Coco) Died to Machoke (Rock Slide)
Furret (Tren) Died to Poliwrath (Dynamic Punch)
Tentacool (Quotaro) Released due to catching its evolution
Magickarp (Sacrif) Released due to catching its evolution
Kadabra (Vera) Died to Graverler (Selfdestruct)
Graverler (Dudebro) Died to Steelix (Iron Tail)
Paras (Vivina) Died to Piloswine (Icy Wind)
Gyarados (Rashred) Died to Wobbuffet (Mirror Coat)
Gastly (Wizwick) Died to Kingdra (Dragonbreath)
Fearow (Luggins) Died to Pikachu (yes really) (Thunder)

Progress Report: The 8th Gym was so freaking close, I wish I had taken a picture of what my team looked like at the end of it, no one had more then 20 hp besides Amphraos, only reason I won without a death (well Gastly died but I used him as a sacrifice so I could freely switch in someone else against Kingdra) was because Kingdra never used hyper beam. I purposefully kept Amphraos back because I was afraid it was coming. The Dragonairs were annoying but Machoke with the Ice Punch was able to 2 shot them but he only was able to take out 2 before he got to low. When the Kingdra came in it was a real battle of attrion, even among my higher leveled Pokemon I could generally only do around 20% damage to it and it was dishing it right back out at me, plus it got healed so it was a really hard fought battle but I managed to win in the end. Fearow got the kill using Mirror Move to use Dragon Breath on the Kingdra. there was a third Dragonair too but it died without much trouble.

My luck with catching certainly continued on, ran into a Dratini... it ran (literally right after I left the cave I got the master ball to >.<). Caught a Seaking (meh) and Doduo (pretty good, went ahead right away and evolved it only needed the one level) in the route next to New Bark Town (as well as at the Tohjo falls) then I reached the next route and I had a 20% chance to get a Ponyta or a 5% chance to get an Arbok... I ran into the Arbok the thing I didn't want and then I crit the thing and killed it in one hit so yet another missed opportunity.

Finally I reached victory road and when I ran into Donphan (one of my Gen 2 favorites) I said screw it and threw my Master Ball at it. Yes I wasted a master ball on a Donphan of all things but I was really tried of getting screwed over at this point and I wanted Donphan damn it, I deserved something today! XD

Along the way to victory road I unfortunately lost Fearow when I mistakenly thought it could take on a Pikachu... I figured Fly would just 1 shot it and there was no way it knew Thunder... It knew Thunder, it didn't one shot it but it did thunder twice (70% accurate my ass) which poor Fearow never stood a chance against. Thankfully Dodrio is actually really good, prob. the best normal/flying type you can get in the early gens since it learns both Drill Peck and Tri Attack the latter of which has pretty good power and has a chance to do several status effects while having high attack and speed.

Now I'm at the Pokemon League with the Elite 4 and the Champion coming up and I really need to level to stand a chance. I'm not super afraid of any member of the elite 4 but Lance has 3 freaking Dragonites and the only Pokemon I have that can hurt them is Machoke with Ice Punch so I need to somehow keep him alive through all 4 of the elite 4 fights and then also have him not get 1 shot by the various Dragonites. This... will not be easy. I'm thinking of rolling with the main 5 I've got (maybe even just 4 honestly) as well as a sacrifice (or two) with the sacrificing being used to allow me to switch in without taking damage on one of the various Dragonites Lance has or just to what its actually going to use. I need all the Pokemon I'm bringing into these battles to be at least level 45 so now I've got a bit of grinding to do. Next update will be the outcome of Johto, will I manage to survive the elite 4 and the champion and make it to Kanto or does my journey end here? We shall see!

Velcro Fly

I totally wrecked Whitney's Miltank.

Two headbutts from Geodude got it below half. It was locked into Rollout. Then I selfdestructed. I lost out on XP but I can just grind to make up for that. Not having to deal with Milk Drink and all that frustration is worth it.

Long live Geodude.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Or do what I do and play all the current games without even looking at abilities or natures, lol. I honestly don't think I've ever paid attention to them, and treat abilities in particular like random surprise bonuses in combat.

That's actually not as easy as it sounds to do when you hardwire yourself to care about such thing ever since Gen III

Is there a way to self trade with yourself? I just wanna get Scizor but I don't know anyone who has a 3DS $anymore
You're out of luck on that unless your willing to buy a $90 2DS and another purchase of Pokemon Gold/Silver to trade with yourself.

Velcro Fly

Argh Quilava can't learn Fire Punch. I guess I just suffer until Flame Wheel at 31.

Geodude and Poliwag close to evolving though. Just made it to Ecruteak City and beat the Kimono Girls. Party of Quilava, Flaafy, Poliwag, and Geodude seems pretty balanced for this part of the game.

Redd

Argh Quilava can't learn Fire Punch. I guess I just suffer until Flame Wheel at 31.

Geodude and Poliwag close to evolving though. Just made it to Ecruteak City and beat the Kimono Girls. Party of Quilava, Flaafy, Poliwag, and Geodude seems pretty balanced for this part of the game.

I learned my lesson since gen 1 to wait until my starter learns its powerful move before I let it evolve. Thankfully they give you an everstone in gen 2 so I don't have to constantly stop it from evolving every level.

I learned my lesson since gen 1 to wait until my starter learns its powerful move before I let it evolve. Thankfully they give you an everstone in gen 2 so I don't have to constantly stop it from evolving every level.

This is not a very valuable lesson for the more modern Pokemon RPGs.

These days Game Freak does a good job in giving almost every Pokemon a large, diverse, and appropriate moveset that complements their type, stats and levels. No more being stuck with ember-tier moves for 30 levels. Plus TMs have unlimited uses too.

Just compare my boy Typhlosion being stuck with fire wheel and quick attack for 30 levels vs what he learns in Gen VII. It's night and day.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Plus TMs have unlimited uses too.
Well.... technically TMs are also unlimited in Pokemon Silver/Hold too you just have to vlone the TM before using it that's what I been doing in this playthrough of Silver anyways since natural move diversity sucks sometimes.

Top Bottom