• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Gold & Pokemon Silver Virtual Console |OT| The Nostalgia Is Crystal Clear

dickroach

I didn't know Togepi evolved. I don't like this thing :(
thinking about reloading my last save, but I'm gonna keep on trucking

I'm six badges in. got a level 43 Feraligatr, a level 30 Togetic, and a buncha randos I never use

I didn't know Togepi evolved. I don't like this thing :(
thinking about reloading my last save, but I'm gonna keep on trucking

I'm six badges in. got a level 43 Feraligatr, a level 30 Togetic, and a buncha randos I never use

Yeah, Togetic has an awful design for some reason. Togekiss is much better even if it suffers from the common later generation added evolution problem of looking like it's a distant evolutionary cousin from a parallel timeline rather than an evolution.

I wish there was a science to finding these Legendary Beasts. I just need to see them once for dex tracking purposes but have only found Raikou by accident during my main adventure.

I know having a Pokemon that's weaker than the wild Pokemon native to the route but are weaker than the level 40 beasts means max repel will always flush out the beast but that's still a wash. It costs a lot of money to burn through those repels just to wander around Johto hoping to find one.

I read guides that suggest the beasts have a preferred route of rotation but none of the more notable Pokemon sites confirms this.

Best bet is to trade with someone IRL who already has the beasts so I can take their dex entries, I guess.

I wish there was a science to finding these Legendary Beasts. I just need to see them once for dex tracking purposes but have only found Raikou by accident during my main adventure.

I know having a Pokemon that's weaker than the wild Pokemon native to the route but are weaker than the level 40 beasts means max repel will always flush out the beast but that's still a wash. It costs a lot of money to burn through those repels just to wander around Johto hoping to find one.

I read guides that suggest the beasts have a preferred route of rotation but none of the more notable Pokemon sites confirms this.

Best bet is to trade with someone IRL who already has the beasts so I can take their dex entries, I guess.

Buy a stack of super or max repels.
Fly to Ecruteak city, pop a repel, head either South or West and look for an encounter until the repel runs out.
Optional: Go further a couple of routes popping one repel each route and look for encounters.
Repeat.

Save if you find one the beasts.
Soft reset if you burned too many repels before finding any.

Velcro Fly

Morty as a pushover once his Gengar missed a Hypnosis. Kadabra was not able to one shot it with Psybeam.

Team is:

Quilava
Flaaffy
Poliwhirl
Graveler
Kadabra

Just got access to surf so a lot of stuff is about to open up for me. Today's goal is to get the Strength HM, get that King's Rock in the Slowpoke Well, and do these trade evos. Feeling pretty happy with my team so far.

CazTGG

Man they absolutely butchered the Gen 1 tracks in this game, lol. I can sort of still recognize them.

giphy.webp

dickroach

took my like an hour to catch the stupid Ho-Oh. I don't even like it, but I only have two pokemon higher than 40 so I kinda needed it for the Elite Four

Feraligatr 55
Togetic 42
Ho Oh 40
Sudowoodo 30
HM
HM

NMFried

Three badges in and my team is:

Onix - lvl 23
Machop - lvl 22
Bayleef - lvl 22
Hoothoot - lvl 15
Togepi - lvl 8

Trucking along.

EndMerit

I've been doing all sorts of side-hustling past few days before facing Red. Yesterday, after about 15 hours of grinding I finally got a Lucky Egg, and today I caught all 3 dogs and Ho-oh, all of them with Ultra balls. All the guys in my team are also between levels 47 and 56, so I'm pretty much ready to conquer Mt Silver anytime.

Just beat Morty, went through and cleared the way to Olivine and Mahogany.

Finished my team also:
Quilava Lv 25
Skiploom Lv 25
Sudowoodo Lv 25
Eevee Lv 25
Chinchou Lv 25
Girafarig Lv 16

Really taking my time and enjoying this playthrough. Been catching everything I see.

CazTGG

Gym 8 Update!

Spr_2c_160.png
(Lv. 39)
Spr_2c_157.png
(Lv. 36)
Spr_2c_181.png
(Lv. 31)
Spr_2c_068.png
(Lv. 31)
Spr_2c_154.png
(Lv. 35)
Spr_2c_178.png
(Lv. 32)

Everyone is fully evolved and ready to crush the Elite 4.

batfax

WVW69kq6Ya4wnh3HQ2

Woo! Finally became Champion. It's a lot slower when you mostly just play during lunch breaks and weekends.

E4 Team:

Spr_2s_169_s.png
McGinnis: 40
Spr_2s_194.png
Cupil: 36
Spr_2s_181.png
Lisa's Lamb : 41
Spr_2s_160.png
Africa (I should probably think of a new name since it's not a Toto-dile anymore...): 45
Spr_2s_225.png
Holly : 39
Spr_2s_213.png
Shuckie: 35

JazzmanZ

Boy the elite four is an awful grind but I finally managed to beat it.

Team was

Feraligatr
Amoharis
Traveler
Hypno
Fearow
Wigglytuff

Hypno was the real MVP with its ice punch making quick work of Lance.

Now for Kanto.

Akai XIII

Really struggling to build a decent team, I'm not very far in but the diversity is pretty abysmal and the gaps between learning useful moves seems massive (having looked at the 'dex entries on Serebii).

Spr_2s_021.png
Lv17
Spr_2s_037.png
Lv16
Spr_2s_123.png
Lv15
Spr_2s_079.png
Lv15
Spr_2s_159.png
Lv24

If you're desperate and have the time, just buy 10 repels of some sort, save, explore and then if you run out without finding them reload.

dickroach

Boy the elite four is an awful grind but I finally managed to beat it.

yeah it was. so many status effects and evasion moves. got through it alright though. the last pokemon Lance used was a Charizard, and one shotting it with my Feraligatr felt so good

19:22
173 Pokemon seen
47 Pokemon caught

160.gif
level 61
130.png
level 31
250.gif
level 40
176.gif
level 42
191.gif
level 13
185.gif
level 33

gg

Velcro Fly

Water route on the way to Cianwood is an amazing grind spot if you have something with an electric/psychic/ground attack. Tentacruel spawn rate is decent and they give great XP.

Water route on the way to Cianwood is an amazing grind spot if you have something with an electric/psychic/ground attack. Tentacruel spawn rate is decent and they give great XP.
You can also slightly go into the deeper part of Dark Cave with Surf if you want to train against Graveler, Wobbuffet, and sometimes Golbat.

Is Togetic any good? I was rocking a Togekiss in the remakes but I do vaguely remember trying to use a Togepi in Gold way back when because it seemed so special but I eventually gave up and boxed it. I'm not sure if I should try again this time around.

Is Togetic any good? I was rocking a Togekiss in the remakes but I do vaguely remember trying to use a Togepi in Gold way back when because it seemed so special but I eventually gave up and boxed it. I'm not sure if I should try again this time around.

No. Not in this gen at least.

Then again, most Pokemon will get you through the main story just fine. If you want better options though, you'll find plenty.

Togetic makes an okay HM/Rock Smash/Headbutt slave, though.

dickroach

I've had Togetic in my party the whole time (just got to Kanto). he's alright
mine's got Fly and Headbutt. my Sudowoodo's got Rock Smash

Arcia

Banned
My Headbutt Tree index tool is now hosted on a webserver: Link

I also added encounter preview for improved user friendliness.

Use it to find out which trees contain rare encounters for your Trained ID.
Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Just wanted to say thank you for making this tool, it was very helpful. This should go in the OP!

eefara

I've had to give up my search for a metal coat on a Magnemite; my luck's just not there, I guess. The wait for the one they give you on the ship isn't too bad, at least.

I've chased team rocket out of Mahogany and destroyed Pryce with my Magmar, so it's back to Goldenrod for me next.

My Headbutt Tree index tool is now hosted on a webserver: Link

I also added encounter preview for improved user friendliness.

Use it to find out which trees contain rare encounters for your Trained ID.
Please let me know if you encounter any issues.

Wow, this tool seems great

When I finally get around to getting this game, I'll need this to get an early Heracross.

oh fuck. I didn't know there was an EXP share. I thought that was something they added in later gens for some reason. awesome
Give the Red Scale you get from Lake of Rage to Mr. Pokemon on Route 30. It's the one other time in the game you actually go see him.

Crayolan

oh fuck. I didn't know there was an EXP share. I thought that was something they added in later gens for some reason. awesome

The EXP share has existed since gen 1. It's just that from gen 6 onwards they changed it from an exp "share" to an exp multiplier.

gosox333

It doesn't work the same, they changed it yo what it currently is in gen VI. Here you give it to whatever pokemon you want to gain extra exp, it takes half the hp gained from each fainted opposing pokemon and gives it to whoever's holding the share.

Still helpful tho.

Here's a video on how it works. I would honestly just wait until later and catch one when you reach Blackthorn and have the EXP Share.

Lol... I'm very stubborn and Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokémon. After I ran my errands I sat down and played slots like my Abuela would in Atlantic City. I learned a trick I read online after and I got enough coins to get myself a Dratini!!!

Thanks for the response. Will watch the video a little later.

Also, I could've sworn we get a Eevee egg at the day care. Is there a Eevee egg in this game?

Lol... I'm very stubborn and Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokémon. After I ran my errands I sat down and played slots like my Abuela would in Atlantic City. I learned a trick I read online after and I got enough coins to get myself a Dratini!!!

Thanks for the response. Will watch the video a little later.

Also, I could've sworn we get a Eevee egg at the day care. Is there a Eevee egg in this game?

You get the egg from Bill. After you meet him in Ecruteak, talk to him again at his house to get it.

Edit: ^ What eefara said.

Doing a casual Silver playthrough where I use Pokemon I usually never ever use. Currently at Morty the Ghost Gym Leader.

My Team so far:

Quilava LV 23 (Fire)
Pidgeotto LV 23 (Normal/Flying)
Pinsir LV 21 (Bug)
Gloom LV 21 (Grass/Poison) (I intend to turn it into a Bellossom since I have never used one before)

What should I add to complete my team? I think I might get a Seel/Dewgong since I need a water type and have never used Dewgong before.

Doing a casual Silver playthrough where I use Pokemon I usually never ever use. Currently at Morty the Ghost Gym Leader.

My Team so far:

Quilava LV 23 (Fire)
Pinsir LV 21 (Bug)
Gloom LV 21 (Grass/Poison) (I intend to turn it into a Bellossom since I have never used one before)

What should I add to complete my team? I think I might get a Seel/Dewgong since I need a water type and have never used Dewgong before.

There are very few good Bug pokemon in early gens* because there are almost no offensive Bug moves worth talking about (HP: Bug is bout all Pinisr has), for the most part Pinsir functions as a Fighting / Normal pokemon offensively.

Bellossom loses the Poison type defensive coverage. Also STAB but that's less important since there's almost no good Poison damage moves anyway and it keeps access to most of the utility Poison moves that Vileplume would get.

Pidgeot lacks a good flying move (common in gen II unless you have access to Drill Peck) but Wing Attack is serviceable. .

A water type seems like a good idea, since you're otherwise fairly vulnerable to fire type moves, not sure if you should go for a Water/Ice type though, since it still leaves you without something that can resist Fire. What Pokemon have you used before for your Water type ?

I'd probably fill the last slot with Dark or Steel to add some Psychic defense, though I dunno what you haven't used before. I'd lean towards Dark since most Steel types still leave you're team as very fire weak overall but the only Dark types that aren't somewhat redundant with your team are staples that you've probably used to death (Tyranitar and Umbreon). I guess maybe Steelix could work since it can at least threaten Fire types with Earthquake / Rock Slide but that was a fairly commonly used Pokemon in Gen II as well.

*Pretty much just Heracross due to Megahorn, but if you use a Bug type on your teams you probably already used him.

My Team so far:

Quilava LV 23 (Fire)
Pinsir LV 21 (Bug)

Not sure what you have and haven't used, but for water types Lapras, Kingdra, and Dewgong all work. If you have a friend with RBY you can trade your Lapras to them for Thunderbolt, or Seadra/Dewgong for Ice Beam. Slowing is also nice (again trade slowpoke for Ice Beam). Quagsire is the definition of mediocre stats, but you'll get some nice type coverage. If this was Crystal I'd suggest Octillery, but alas. Lanturn is okay, but you won't get Thunderbolt like you ought to *shakes fist at Game Freak*.

If you want some pure muscle, Tauros is still awesome and right outside Ecruteak. Miltank works too. You've probably used them, but the Machop, Geodude and Onix lines are all near you.

After Mahogany you can pick up a Jynx in the Ice Path, if you want a different spin on an ice type. Dark types are really limited unfortunately, and while Umbreon is great versus another person, it's type coverage is very shallow, and it's not built as an attacking Pokémon anyways. An alternative is an Espeon with Bite. Eevee naturally learns Bite at level 30, and if you can get it to evolve to Espeon by level 36, it will get Psybeam too. Espeon's fantastic special attack means Bite will be pretty strong, and outflank any other Psychic type you come across (Bite is a special move this gen).

You've already got a great fire type that can learn an electric move when it evolves, so you're good there.

Hope this helps some.

My Team so far:

Quilava LV 23 (Fire)
Pinsir LV 21 (Bug)

In terms of HMs, helpful moves, and field moves that you'll need:
Typhlosion: Headbutt (optional), Rock Smash (optional)
Pidgeot: Fly (technically optional)
Pinsir: Cut
Gloom: Flash (optional), Sleep Powder

And you can add:
Lanturn (New Bark Town with Good Rod): Waterfall, Whirlpool
Nidoqueen / Nidoking / Miltank / Rhydon (pretty lategame, found in Victory Road as Rhyhorn): Strength, Surf

This should minimize the time spent going to boxes and keep your team pretty fresh, most people probably haven't used at least one of the last four before.

Nuzlocke OMEGA UPDATE!! Also just a reminder one of the Nuzlocke rules I use is that I don't use healing items in battle. Important to have that context when you read this update!

Doing the Progress Report first and foremost: It was time to challenge the elite 4 and the Champion, I grinded everyone to level 45 and then used a few rare candies to boost everyone to 46. I threw Staryu back into the bank and grabbed my lowest leveled (Slowpoke) and with everyone ready I stood and entered the elite 4 for what I thought would likely be the end of my run.

The first two battles against Will and and Koga didn't give me to much trouble. Dodrio did some work on Koga as well as Bruno but unfortunately fell against Machamp and his Rock Slide. I figured when it threw Machamp out instead of Hitmonlee it had to have a rock type move but I knew I HAD to save my sacrifice (slowpoke) for as long as possible so I gambled, Dodrio was able to get Machamp down to near death but it wasn't enough, the rock slide came out and with Dodrio already injured he didn't stand a chance and unfortunately fell.

Then came the final elite 4 member Karen who really threw me for a loop, she ended up causing me a ton of trouble and I had to use my sacrifice (sorry slowpoke) just to barely skate by without losing anymore more important. Her Houndoom was so damn good and my Machoke missed its Cross Chop and I thought I might be completely screwed but then enter Girafarig (Freed) to save the day by flinching it.

So at this point I was down to 4 Pokemon, all of them the best of the best that I had. My Starter Meganium (Stassi), Ampharos my MVP (Tsuyana), Machoke my secret weapon (Chopper), and the flinch locker Girafarig (Freed). Going into this battle I was outnumbered, his 6 to my 4. To be honest knowing that he had 3 freaking Dragonites I didn't think I stood a chance in hell but I persisted.

The Battle began, Ampharos wiped out his Gyarados in one Thunder Punch, things were starting well. He put the first of his Dragonites out, I kept Ampharos in to see what he was going to do (and to test damage, Thunder Punch did about 1/3rd), he tried and failed a Thunder wave. I knew that would be coming again so I switched to my secret weapon. Machoke... with Ice Punch. Thunder wave came and paralyzed Machoke but I wasn't worried... Until I saw Dragonites next move... Hyper Beam. Machoke lived with around 40 HP left, it was in trouble but the Ice Punch connected and one shot the Dragonite! Two down, 4 to go. Lance sent out Aerodactyl and I knew I was in trouble.

Machoke was already hurt and paralyzed, even if I swamped him out any attack would likely kill him and he wasn't fast enough to get an ice punch off again. So I knew at this point... not everyone was going to survive if I was going to win, I couldn't keep swaping in new Pokemon they would just get hurt and die so I did the only thing I could. I let Machoke die. I had hoped it would have been able to kill more then one Dragonite but what could I do, the best option was to let it die and bring back Ampharos back out which is what I did. Ampharos wiped out the Aerodactyl and then Lance threw out his second Dragonite.

It repeated what the first did, Thunder wave came out and I was committed to seeing Ampharos fight this no matter the outcome so I just attacked it. Hyper Beam came, got her low but not super low. She was able to take out the second Dragonite before he could finish recharging. Then the big Dragonite came out, Level 50. Ampharos by this point was level 49 and had less then half HP... I knew I couldn't risk switching, I knew despite being my best Pokemon since I got her early on that she was going to die but I didn't have a choice, switching in could spell doom for the whole team. She got some damage off but another hyper beam came out right away and she fell...

At this point this Dragonite had taken maybe 25% damage and all I had left was Meganium and Girafarig neither of which had any moves that were super effect on the two that Lance had left the Dragonite and a Charizard. I knew that most likely Meganium wouldn't stand a chance against Charizard even with its high defensive stats so it had to finish off this Dragonite or at least try. I had taught it Light Screen which I got up while the Dragonite was recharging. I foolishly tried Poison Power on it only for it to miss while the Dragonite started Outrage. I was in trouble to be sure. The Light Screen likely saved my ass mitigating a ton of damage and Meganium got it down really really low... Then it used a full restore on the big Dragonite and I thought it was over. Meganium had around 40% hp left so I knew it could take another Outrage, maybe two if I was super lucky but instead... Out came fucking Hyper Beam, Meganium fell and as it did the light screen also wore off but not before it got one last crit in bringing Dragonite down to 50% HP!

All I had left was Freed, my Girafarig, I knew that my run was over, the Dragonite was already damaged and even if I could kill the big Dragonite I still had Charizard fucking left but it was open, it couldn't stop me from attacking it so I did the only thing I could do, I attacked it. Stomp did around 25% HP while it recovered and it managed to finish it off before it could attack again!

It was all down to this one, last fight. Girafarig vs. Charizard in almost every way the Charizard was better, it had better moves, it had better stats, its trainer could actually heal it if it came down to it but I knew I had to at least try. I use Psybeam which didn't do a lot of damage but I was hoping I could confuse it, it didn't work. Charizard used flame thrower, Girafarig was down to 63 hp from full (over 140) in one attack. My run was over, there wasn't anyway I stood a chance against this thing I gave up... Psybeam did extremely little damage so I tried Stomp expecting to watch my final pokemon die and to reach the end of my run... But Freed wasn't done. Freed didn't give up. He fliched the Charizard! It brought it down to just under 50% HP, it was faster and if I could get it to flinch again I'd actually win this... I didn't get my hopes up but Freed had seen to many of his friends die this day and he refused to fall. He flinched it again! Charizard was 1 move away from falling and giving me the win he had around 25% HP left I didn't think it was low enough for Lance to heal it but I couldn't be sure, I couldn't be sure that Charizard wouldn't get the first move either all I could do is hope and pray...

Lance didn't heal.
Freed went first.
Charizard fainted.
Freed lived with 63 HP.

I had lost almost my entire team but I couldn't help but scream out YES at the top of my lungs in just sheer surprise! I had beaten the elite 4, I had beaten the Champion, I was watching the credits roll and the only reason I wasn't writing out a depressing response on here was all because of one weird ass Pokemon I never once used before now, Girafarig who had double flinch locked out a Charizard as well as a previous fight as well, what an amazing turn of events!

To me... This is why I play Nuzlockes, for the unique experience and the hope of overcoming what seems like impossible odds that are stacked against you from the get go. I won against one of the hardest boss fights in the series without healing in battle when I was out numbered and out leveled. It was a crazy and risky attempt but I managed to win, just barely.

So my run isn't complete however, I still have Kanto to continue onto but I suffered massive losses in these battles so now I have to reform my team and perhaps find something new to use in Kanto. One things for sure, Donphan is coming out and Lt. Surge is going to get his clocked cleaned!

The rest of the normal Nuzlocke update is below XD

Version: Silver
Badges: 8
Pokemon Dead: 16
Pokemon Owned: 54 (This includes evolutions)

Current Party:
Girafarig (Freed) Level 46
ALL OF MY FRIENDS ARE DEAD :*(

Pokemon in the bank:
Togepi (Eggberta)
Oddish (Zonni)
Eevee (Debbie)
Exeggcute (Jellina)
Koffing (Teddie)
Sudowoodo (Rocktree)
Shuckle (SHUCKIE the gift Pokemon, I'll rename it if I can)
Poliwag (Tassi)
Farfetch'd (Dumass)
Magnemite (Volt)
Krabby (Murky)
Tentacruel (Kist)
Corsola (Korin)
Chinchou (Tater)
Natu (Xed)
Electrode (Sploading)
Golbat (Ila)
Seaking (Docendack)
Donphan (Karna)
Staryu (Sloak)

Pokemon at the Daycare:
Ditto (Copycat) - I really should see what level it is by now LOL

Fallen Pokemon:
Beedrill (Stabi) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Zubat (Sreek) Died to Espeon (Confusion)
Pidgeotto (Coco) Died to Machoke (Rock Slide)
Furret (Tren) Died to Poliwrath (Dynamic Punch)
Tentacool (Quotaro) Released due to catching its evolution
Magickarp (Sacrif) Released due to catching its evolution
Kadabra (Vera) Died to Graverler (Selfdestruct)
Graverler (Dudebro) Died to Steelix (Iron Tail)
Paras (Vivina) Died to Piloswine (Icy Wind)
Gyarados (Rashred) Died to Wobbuffet (Mirror Coat)
Gastly (Wizwick) Died to Kingdra (Dragonbreath)
Fearow (Luggins) Died to Pikachu (yes really) (Thunder)
Dodrio (Triface) Died to Machamp (Rock Slide)
Meganium (Stassi) Died to Dragonite (Hyper Beam)
Ampharos (Tsuyana) Died to Dragonite (Hyper Beam)
Slowpoke (Estra) Died to Houndoom (Flamethrower)
Machoke (Chopper) Died to Aerodactyl (Wing Attack)

KayMote

Man, that was a great read - kept me on the edge of the seat! Keep it going! I don't envy you though - you need to reform and train a whole 'nother team? Damn.

Man, that was a great read - kept me on the edge of the seat! Keep it going! I don't envy you though - you need to reform and train a whole 'nother team? Damn.

"Fortunately" the level curve in Kanto is super messed up in Gen II. There's only a handful of strong trainers to worry about, most trainers are really weak which should give him plenty of training fodder.

eefara

Nuzlocke OMEGA UPDATE!!

Wow, what a crazy read; congratulations! Man, I can't imagine the adrenaline from Lance's battle and the elation at turning a hopeless situation around. Maybe it's corny to say, but you're definitely a true champion after all that!

turbocat

I also enjoyed your Nuzlocke war story. Good stuff!

I finally beat the game last night...I think I clocked in at about 17 hours. Really enjoyed it! I will likely be doing a Nuzlocke when I get around to finally playing Silver, but I think I'm going to give gen 2 a rest for a bit.

WVW69kq6Ya4wnh3HQ2

Woo! Finally became Champion. It's a lot slower when you mostly just play during lunch breaks and weekends.

E4 Team:

Spr_2s_169_s.png
McGinnis: 40
Spr_2s_194.png
Cupil: 36
Spr_2s_181.png
Lisa's Lamb : 41
Spr_2s_160.png
Africa (I should probably think of a new name since it's not a Toto-dile anymore...): 45
Spr_2s_225.png
Holly : 39
Spr_2s_213.png
Shuckie: 35

Lmao at Africa, very clever

Top Bottom