• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Styles

Sorry about that Echoes. Still need your FC, will be on right away.

Nevermind got it lol. On right now:lol

Edit: Thanks Echoes. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:
Yes he calls you and tell that the blocks in area____ have lured out some new pokemon. Be careful you aren't missing some pokemon though, he once called me and said the blocks in some area had upgraded and I when there to catch my pokemon, but I hadn't seen that there was another pokemon which would appear earlier than the one I was searching for, wasted a good 20 mins on that.

Thanks! I've caught everything I can and have everything set up for the next batch, so hopefully there shouldn't be any problems. :D

I think I got like 100 Pokemon from the first seven zones at 0 days. :lol 231 and proud. :D

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
hmm

So I've been breeding gastlies all day, and I just got one that was just about what I'm looking for.

Based off of the ranges provided for its IVs by an IV calculator as I gave it rare candies, as well as its characteristics:

Nature: Timid
HP: 31
Attack: 0 (or 1, but probably 0)
Defense: 31 (The characteristic is "Capable of Taking hits", which means defense is the best or tied for the best IV value and ends with a 6 or a 1. I KNOW that a special attack IV of 31 was passed on, so I can logically deduce that Defense must be 31 as well. Oddly enough, the range for defense in the IV calculator I used was almost always given as 26-29 though. I guess the calculator isn't perfect?)
Special Attack: 31
Special Defense: 31
Speed: ~27 or 28

Of course, speed and Special Attack are the two most important stats, and attack is irrelevant, but do I sacrifice those 4 points in speed? *ponders*

On the other hand, it's not like many things can outrun an EV trained Gengar with a nature that benefits Speed...

Yeah, I think I've found my gengar :D

Echoes

GaimeGuy said:
hmm

So I've been breeding gastlies all day, and I just got one that was just about what I'm looking for.

Based off of the ranges provided for its IVs by an IV calculator as I gave it rare candies, as well as its characteristics:

Nature: Timid
HP: 31
Attack: 0 (or 1, but probably 0)
Defense: 31 (The characteristic is "Capable of Taking hits", which means defense is the best or tied for the best IV value and ends with a 6 or a 1. I KNOW that a special attack IV of 31 was passed on, so I can logically deduce that Defense must be 31 as well. Oddly enough, the range for defense in the IV calculator I used was almost always given as 26-29 though. I guess the calculator isn't perfect?)
Special Attack: 31
Special Defense: 31
Speed: ~27 or 28

Of course, speed and Special Attack are the two most important stats, and attack is irrelevant, but do I sacrifice those 4 points in speed? *ponders*

On the other hand, it's not like many things can outrun an EV trained Gengar with a nature that benefits Speed...

Yeah, I think I've found my gengar :D
My Gengar will outspeed your Gengar and kill it with a Shadow Ball :p

Yours is perfect. EV-train and wreck teams apart! I will give you a video later today to further let you know how much Gengar is awesome. And I used to say he's not good... *slaps forehead*

I've been trying to EV train my pokemon and something is going wrong.

Whenever I put it to battle a specific number of pokemon for a specific number of EV points that should lead to a specific stat increase I keep getting WAY lower numbers than what I'm expecting.

Like if I train this pokemon against 9 bidoof using macho brace/pokerus I expect to get 9 HP EV added to the usual HP increase so that should make it about +11HP, but I get like +6HP.

I've already tried EV training for the defense stat/attack stats and I still keep getting the same thing.

Am I doing something wrong here?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You get 1/4 stat points for every EV. So whatever your EVs are, divide by 4 and that should be your hard-stat increase.

But this is at level 100... so divide by 2 again if you're at level 50.

I think. I'm not entirely clear on it but I know it's been working for me.

Andrex said:
I think I got like 100 Pokemon from the first seven zones at 0 days. :lol 231 and proud. :D
Good job... though what will you do with Feebas and Spritomb? They are only available via the PokeWalker... after 100.000 watts. Something that makes the 110 days Bagon pale in comparison. Are you really gonna get them yourself?

Echoes

Metroid Killer said:
Good job... though what will you do with Feebas and Spritomb? They are only available via the PokeWalker... after 100.000 watts. Something that makes the 110 days Bagon pale in comparison. Are you really gonna get them yourself?
I can breed both for you.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Metroid Killer said:

Sure.

And if something "happens" to the Pokewalker... I can trade them from Pearl. :lol

And hey, it's still easier than catching a Feebas in Gen 3 and DP! :lol Had to log onto the GTS in Pearl to get one for breeding. Was Japanese now that I think about it...

Andrex said:
You get 1/4 stat points for every EV. So whatever your EVs are, divide by 4 and that should be your hard-stat increase.

But this is at level 100... so divide by 2 again if you're at level 50.

I think. I'm not entirely clear on it but I know it's been working for me.
I don't get it. I thought that the macho brace doubled your EV gains and that they would be doubled again into 4EV points for one single battle.

Using this logic it would only make sense that I gain +9HP/Attack/whatever. The math is solid and my pokemon is at level 40 with no EVs.

Edit:
I've trained Attack/HP/Special defense. I'll try training the speed EV to see if that works accordingly(my pokes nature benefits speed).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JosM88 said:
I don't get it. I thought that the macho brace doubled your EV gains and that they would be doubled again into 4EV points for one single battle.

Using this logic it would only make sense that I gain +9HP/Attack/whatever. The math is solid and my pokemon is at level 40 with no EVs.

Edit:
I've trained Attack/HP/Special defense. I'll try training the speed EV to see if that works accordingly(my pokes nature benefits speed).

You only get the stat increase after/upon leveling up... Dunno if you knew that.

Otherwise, I dunno. I wouldn't really worry about all the complex math behind it. If you mess up you can always get some EV-reducing berries to start off on a clean slate.

Speaking of! I need a Tamato and Qualot berries, if anyone could be gracious to give them to me.

Andrex said:
You only get the stat increase after/upon leveling up... Dunno if you knew that.

Otherwise, I dunno.
Yeah, I am aware of that. The very max I've gotten was +7 on attack when I expecting a much higher amount.

Edit:
Yeah, I'm aware of the berries as well. I just reset the game and I'm back at the pokemon center where all my pokerus infected pokemon are stored.

Echoes said:
I can breed both for you.
Thanks, but it'll have to wait till later(in the future) as I'm in the same boat as Andrex, fill the pokedex as much as I can by myself and when all hope is gone I'll turn to Echoes! And I got a Shiny Milotic anyway ;-)

Just need 50.000 watts!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JosM88 said:
Yeah, I am aware of that. The very max I've gotten was +7 on attack when I expecting a much higher amount.

Edit:
Yeah, I'm aware of the berries as well. I just reset the game and I'm back at the pokemon center where all my pokerus infected pokemon are stored.

+7 is about normal for me but it depends on how fast you level. If your Pokemon is level 50 and killing level 3 Rattatas then you're going to see a hell-load of stat points whenever you eventually hit the new level mark. Similarly, selectively EV training on the Elite 4 will make it seem like nothing's happening.

Jintor

So do the +stats apply at level up? That's why my lvl 50 is getting +4s and +5s while my 30s are getting +3s and +2s, right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jintor said:
So do the +stats apply at level up? That's why my lvl 50 is getting +4s and +5s while my 30s are getting +3s and +2s, right?

Yes.

Rare Candies, the Daycare, and the Pokewalker leveling all wipe out any "temporary" EVs on your Pokemon gained since the last level up.

When did I become knowledgeable on this subject? I'm so frigging nerdy. >_<

Andrex said:
+7 is about normal for me but it depends on how fast you level. If your Pokemon is level 50 and killing level 3 Rattatas then you're going to see a hell-load of stat points whenever you eventually hit the new level mark. Similarly, selectively EV training on the Elite 4 will make it seem like nothing's happening.
Yea I understand the concept. What worries me is that my math must seriously be off. The one thing I'm worried about is overshooting on a specific stat and hurting the other EV allocations. If I don't measure properly it could seriously compromise my other EVs and waste hours that I could spend doing more...err "productive" things.:lol

Nintendo should make an EV calculator app for B&W.

Yay! Just beat Green and got the 16th Badge! Pretty awesome fight, my team was 55 so it wasn't difficult, but it's kinda cool that the old rival of the first gen ends up in a gym. Very cool! Now to get that Rock Climb!!

toythatkills said:
Sorry if it's been mentioned, this thread is long. Anyway, this Pokédex app for the iPhone is really good, full of stuff like EV stats so will make training much nicer - it's far better to browse than the internet for such information. $2, but if it's worth that to you, go for it!

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/aaa-pokedex
Very cool app. If I had an iphone I'd be all over this. I can't even begin to imagine the looks I'd get on the train though.:lol

Weee I'm pretty much harvesting pokemon with the new access of hidden trees because of Rock Climb.

Pokedex on 422 now!

Though anybody knows where all the Rock Climb places are? a list maybe?

Echoes said:
Minister of the Dog, I apologize for not showing up yesterday. I'm free till 12 hours from now.

Don't worry, actually I wasn't going to say anything else in this thread, as I didn't want to be annoying :lol

Anyway, I can trade in about half an hour, so I'll be back as soon as possible. Thanks dude!

guys, if I want to get into Pokemon now, should I get one of these Gold/Silver remake, or go to the latest Pokemon game, which if I'm not mistaken is Pokemon Platinum.

thanks

Callibretto said:
guys, if I want to get into Pokemon now, should I get one of these Gold/Silver remake, or go to the latest Pokemon game, which if I'm not mistaken is Pokemon Platinum.

thanks
Have you played pokemon before?

Heart Gold/Soul Silver are pretty fucking amazing, never played Platinum myself, they are very beginner friendly, yet they contain everything in the pokemon universe, and it has been polished to the max.

Though Pokemon Black and White are coming out next year as well.

Kurtofan

Callibretto said:

thanks
Go for the remakes,probably the greatest pokemon games out there.I didn't play Platinum but they're better than DP IMO.
(buy Higher Gold :D)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
JosM88 said:
I've been trying to EV train my pokemon and something is going wrong.

Whenever I put it to battle a specific number of pokemon for a specific number of EV points that should lead to a specific stat increase I keep getting WAY lower numbers than what I'm expecting.

Like if I train this pokemon against 9 bidoof using macho brace/pokerus I expect to get 9 HP EV added to the usual HP increase so that should make it about +11HP, but I get like +6HP.

I've already tried EV training for the defense stat/attack stats and I still keep getting the same thing.

Am I doing something wrong here?
The stat boost is distributed as you continue to level up:

80 EVs @ level 5 = 1 stat point (approximate)
80 EVs @ level 50 = 10 stat points (approximate)
80 EVs @ level 100 = 20 stat points

Andrex said:
And hey, it's still easier than catching a Feebas in Gen 3 and DP!
I went into the Mt. Coronet lake expecting this to take an eternity. I snagged Feebas on my very first attempt.

I have used a Milotic as my dedicated water type ever since.

Andrex said:
Rare Candies, the Daycare, and the Pokewalker leveling all wipe out any "temporary" EVs on your Pokemon gained since the last level up.
I don't think there's such a thing as "temporary" EVs.

Callibretto said:

thanks

Go with Heart Gold/Soul Silver, they are completely overhauled versions of the best Pokemon games ever released. They have Johto and Kanto to explore, the Pokewalker, the time and day system, many wonderful features that haven't been part of the series for 10 years and probably the largest amount of obtainable Pokemon in the main series. All the rubbish from the R/S/E and D/P/Pt has been trimmed away to bring together all the best elements of old and new.

If you want to see the past and present of Pokemon wrapped up in probably the most comprehensive package, this is what you want.

Hey Echoes! It's finally time for the trade. When we're done I'll give you all the info on IVs, EVs and anything else that might be relevant. I have your FC, but in case you deleted mine, it's 0045 5148 8653. See you in the WiFi room!

Sixfortyfive

Azure Phoenix said:
Go with Heart Gold/Soul Silver, they are completely overhauled versions of the best Pokemon games ever released.
Such hyperbole.

But at any rate, the latest version of Pokemon is pretty much always the greatest, and HGSS is no exception.

ok thanks, I'll get one of these Heart Gold or Soul Silver. maybe Silver, the cover pokemon looks cooler.

btw, what's the mentality for you guys when playing this games. with hundreds of pokemon to play as, do you guys really raise all your pokemon one by one? I have feeling I'm gonna neglect most of the pokemon I catch and only level up a few that I like.

Echoes

Minister of the Dog said:
Hey Echoes! It's finally time for the trade. When we're done I'll give you all the info on IVs, EVs and anything else that might be relevant. I have your FC, but in case you deleted mine, it's 0045 5148 8653. See you in the WiFi room!
Coming :D I'll give one of my favorite Pokemons ever from my team.

Sixfortyfive

Callibretto said:
ok thanks, I'll get one of these Heart Gold or Soul Silver. maybe Silver, the cover pokemon looks cooler.

btw, what's the mentality for you guys when playing this games. with hundreds of pokemon to play as, do you guys really raise all your pokemon one by one? I have feeling I'm gonna neglect most of the pokemon I catch and only level up a few that I like.
At this point, I usually have some kind of idea regarding what my final team will look like before I even start playing, and I only raise those 6 Pokemon as I play through. Any more than that and you're wasting EXP as far as I'm concerned. "Catching them all" is not something I bother with until the post-post-game. I didn't even look at the HGSS Pokedex until I beat the champion.

Callibretto said:
In the beginning I wanted to care for every pokemon that I caught(probably because I haven't played a pokemon game since Red), but with more than 200 pokemon now it's just impossible :lol

I want to complete the pokedex so I catch every pokemon that I encounter, but otherwise get 6 pokemon you think are interesting and have them as your main team, then later on it'll be easier to create utility pokemon and stronger pokemon if you need that.

That is awesome Echoes, it must've taken you a long time to train and evolve this Pokémon! I thought my Bangira was cool, but it isn't as cool as Sunnystar. I am pretty new to all this EV/IV stuff, so I followed a Smogon strategy for that Tyranitar. Its IVs are 22/30/24/25/24/31, and the EVs are 32/242/0/0/0/236 (I put more EVs in HP than Smogon said because I thought its HP IV was a bit low). I think this contest was cool, and it helped me both to learn how to breed/EV train and to get an awesome pokémon.

Thanks a bunch! Now, I'm curious about Wiseblade's and 645's Pokémon.

Edit: The moveset was the Dragon Dance one with Baribi Berry, not very original I guess.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tyranitar

Sixfortyfive said:
Such hyperbole.
Hardly, GSC were and are the best Pokemon games, these are better looking versions with some new features. GSC are still the best because of what they achieved 10 years ago on far inferior hardware, but HGSS are more accessible for newcomers.

Callibretto said:
That's generally how it goes. Early on you'll be replacing your team constantly to cover the basic types, but once that is sorted generally you stick to 6 that you like and find useful, occasionally replacing them with better alternatives as you progress.

For example, most people will keep their starter Pokemon for the whole game as it is useful at every stage, but while Pidgey or Butterfree might be useful early on you'll find stronger alternatives later.

Sixfortyfive

I'm kind of bummed that I got paired with Wiseblade. I was hoping to train some random 3rd gen OU and pass it off to somebody who had yet to appreciate the Hoenn dex, but he is already in the Hoenn appreciation camp and already experienced in battling.

I'll probably get around to deciding and training this project in the next couple of days.

Echoes

That is awesome Echoes, it must've taken you a long time to train and evolve this Pokémon! I thought my Bangira was cool, but it isn't as cool as Sunnystar. I am pretty new to all this EV/IV stuff, so I followed a Smogon strategy for that Tyranitar. Its IVs are 22/30/24/25/24/31, and the EVs are 32/242/0/0/0/236 (I put more EVs in HP than Smogon said because I thought its HP IV was a bit low). I think this contest was cool, and it helped me both to learn how to breed/EV train and to get an awesome pokémon.

Thanks a bunch! Now, I'm curious about Wiseblade's and 645's Pokémon.

Edit: The moveset was the Dragon Dance one with Baribi Berry, not very original I guess.

I am so glad you like it! Sunnystar is very dear to me; I got it as a Lv1 Togepi from a friend, and seeing that it has Serene Grace with a good nature (IMO, Smogon didn't list it) I went an EV-trained it. It was before I got the power items, so I fought 120 tentacools which was so unbelievably boring :p

The strategy is to paralyze an opponent's sweeper, then proceed to take them down with Air Slash. Leftovers is nice, but King's Rock would work extremely well: with Serene Grace, you have 60% chance to flinch your opponent (64% with King's Rock), and if it didn't flinch it will get paralyzed. If he managed to hit then he's one damn lucky boy. The EVs were spent in Special Defense and HP, as I wanted her to last longer in any given fight. I'm not sure about IVs since I just recently started caring about them.

Your Tyranitar is freaking awesome, about ten pages back I was discussing a strategy that involved either him or Charizard, but I went with BellyZard. It's like you've done the awesomest job for me! Tons of love <3

And, guys! If you haven't, read this post first. Then watch the video!

&#1616;Edit: nvm I deleted it... My friend doesn't want a video showing his strategies. Sorry.

Edit: PM me if you really care; I'll send you a private link.

Hey guys, I'm at the part in Heart Gold where I have to go after Ho-oh before I can go fight the Elite Four. I really can't be bothered to mess about recatching it over and over until I get one with good IV's, so I was wondering if there's any drawbacks to just knocking it out and catching it after I beat the Elite Four?

Also, does beating the Elite Four and "respawning" a new one reset it's IV's?

Wichu

Ben2749 said:
Hey guys, I'm at the part in Heart Gold where I have to go after Ho-oh before I can go fight the Elite Four. I really can't be bothered to mess about recatching it over and over until I get one with good IV's, so I was wondering if there's any drawbacks to just knocking it out and catching it after I beat the Elite Four?

Also, does beating the Elite Four and "respawning" a new one reset it's IV's?
Yeah, it gets new IVs/nature/shininess/etc.

JosM88 said:

Edit:

It increases the higher the level you are. Otherwise you could get a level 5 pokemon with ridiculous stats.

If you raise your pokemon to level 100 you will see the full benefits.

Wiseblade

Sixfortyfive said:
I'm kind of bummed that I got paired with Wiseblade. I was hoping to train some random 3rd gen OU and pass it off to somebody who had yet to appreciate the Hoenn dex, but he is already in the Hoenn appreciation camp and already experienced in battling.

I'll probably get around to deciding and training this project in the next couple of days.

Funnily enough, I'd already picked a 3rd Gen OU to trade, but you probably have it already. I'll have to train something new now.

I've got one of those! Good choice. Did you go with a Jolly or Adamant nature?

Wiseblade said:
I've got one of those! Good choice. Did you go with a Jolly or Adamant nature?

To be honest, I couldn't get one with the right nature and great IVs, so I chose the lesser evil, a Naive natured (+Speed -SpDef) one. Its SpDef IV is 24, so it's not that bad after all. I have to keep trying to get better Pokémon, but I have to admit I enjoyed the process of obtaining a good monster. If we ever hold another contest, I'll try my best to get a better pokémon.

Btw, Wiseblade, I did see your PM, but I answered in the thread, in case I didn't make it clear (don't want you to think I didn't bother to answer your PM).

Three more Flame works for today. Banette was a bitch to make, for some reason the hardest ghost pokemon to get 'right' so far. It probably took twice the time compared to the other two combined.

shuppets.jpg

hi res

banettes.jpg

hi res

rotoms.jpg

hi res

After examining my life... Realizing I'm going to be unemployed for atleast 2 more weeks. I have decided to try and raise myself an EV trained team of Pokemon. I read up on EV training and stuff, so now I need to get my hands on a good Ditto I guess. I don't have much to offer for you guys I imagine. Seeing as how I pretty much just beat the game and that's it. However, if you want any "boring" work done or something, I'll be more than happy to do it.

Gengar is going to be my first Pokemon I'm going to EV train.

I have to leave for therapy and stuff right now, so I won't be back home for probably 5 hours, but I will be on later. I'm not in a rush. Once I breed I will happily give the Ditto back too.

Top Bottom