• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Heart Gold/Superior Silver |OT|

Wiseblade

Metroid Killer said:
Three more Flame works for today. Banette was a bitch to make, for some reason the hardest ghost pokemon to get 'right' so far. It probably took twice the time compared to the other two combined.

Shuppet looks great!

Minister of the Dog said:
To be honest, I couldn't get one with the right nature and great IVs, so I chose the lesser evil, a Naive natured (+Speed -SpDef) one. Its SpDef IV is 24, so it's not that bad after all. I have to keep trying to get better Pokémon, but I have to admit I enjoyed the process of obtaining a good monster. If we ever hold another contest, I'll try my best to get a better pokémon.

Btw, Wiseblade, I did see your PM, but I answered in the thread, in case I didn't make it clear (don't want you to think I didn't bother to answer your PM).

That's a pretty good nature. That way Tyranitar outspeeds Azelf, Starmie and Gengar after a Dragon Dance and OHKOs with Crunch. Including Scizor, that's four Pokémon usually used to stop T-tar easily dealt with. That set is beastly.

Sixfortyfive said:
The stat boost is distributed as you continue to level up:

80 EVs @ level 5 = 1 stat point (approximate)
80 EVs @ level 50 = 10 stat points (approximate)
80 EVs @ level 100 = 20 stat points.
If I only get a certain amount of EVs at level 40 does that mean that the other EVs I should have gained will come at the next level even if I wasn't EV training for that stat anymore?

example:
EV training for HP=9 bidoof with macho brace/pokerus=9HP EV distributed over the course of level 40/41 even if I didn't fight any bidoof at level 41.

How does anyone manage to get their poke to such high levels without any pokemon battles?

AdventureRacing said:
It increases the higher the level you are. Otherwise you could get a level 5 pokemon with ridiculous stats.

If you raise your pokemon to level 100 you will see the full benefits.
Yeah, I'm aware of that concept and that's why I leveled my poke to level 40 expecting to get good returns. Oh well...

Jeels said:
Is there any way for me to breed a Jirachi. I got my Jirachi via trade and I hate the fact that it EXPs faster.
Nope, as far as I know Jirachi can only be obtained as an event pokemon meaning all Jirachi will get exp boost (unlike mascot/roamer legendaries for example)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:
Oak's phone calls get more and more nonsensical each time I'm finding. :lol
My favorites are the calls from a girl that says stuff like "I thought I saw a Rattata, but it turned out to be Azumarill! Darn!"

Really? You mistook a two and a half foot tall round blue rabbit for one foot tall purple mouse?

Gravijah

I've just had 4-5 !! Pikachus flee from me within the past 10 minutes. I've never had them flee before...

Good work on those MK, the Shuppet one is AWEEEESOME

Gravijah said:
I've just had 4-5 !! Pikachus flee from me within the past 10 minutes. I've never had them flee before...

Good work on those MK, the Shuppet one is AWEEEESOME
Bannette and Rotom look like drawings from a children's story book. I'm still gonna rock the ghastly one though.:D

very cool indeed.

Echoes

Signed in from work just to say: Metroid Killer, you're awesome. LOVE THEM ALL <3

Ghost Pokemon are amazing *hugs Froslass*

JosM88 said:
If I only get a certain amount of EVs at level 40 does that mean that the other EVs I should have gained will come at the next level even if I wasn't EV training for that stat anymore?

example:
EV training for HP=9 bidoof with macho brace/pokerus=9HP EV distributed over the course of level 40/41 even if I didn't fight any bidoof at level 41.

How does anyone manage to get their poke to such high levels without any pokemon battles?

Yeah, I'm aware of that concept and that's why I leveled my poke to level 40 expecting to get good returns. Oh well...

The best way is to not think about stat gains at all.

Just remember that w/e EVs you accumulate for a Pokemon are tracked. Each time that Pokemon levels up, the game throws the EVs/IVs/nature/etc. into a formula and recalculates the stats. So as long as you're getting the right EVs, don't worry about the "+X" graphic at all.

If you really enjoy seeing that graphic though, you can always cram as much EVs as possible before the stat gets recalculated. That way when it does recalculate, the difference will be much greater. Placing a Pokemon in the PC will recalculate stats though.

EV reducing berries and vitamins also lead to stat recalculation but I don't know if all stats are recalculated or just the one related to the berry/vitamin.

Entei is starting to give me a headache now, 1hp, asleep and locked into battle with Mean Look and he's still being a complete asshole.

*throws Fast Ball at start of fight* - Doesn't even shake once
*throws Ultra Ball* - Doesn't even shake once
*throws Dusk Ball at 11pm* - Doesn't even shake once
*throws Heavy Ball* - Shakes twice
ENTEI woke up!
ENTEI used Roar!
*throws DS Lite*

Mr. Sam

Azure Phoenix said:
Entei is starting to give me a headache now, 1hp, asleep and locked into battle with Mean Look and he's still being a complete asshole.

ENTEI woke up!
ENTEI used Roar!
*throws DS Lite*

I can't even catch up with him any more. Paralyzed (which was an accident when I first happened upon him - stupid Pikachu) and down to 1hp (thanks to False Swipe).

I did catch Raiku though. It's funny lookin'.

notsol337

marked forever
Azure Phoenix said:

ENTEI woke up!
ENTEI used Roar!
*throws DS Lite*

I have the exact same issue...
*throws DSi*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Entei always ran on my two turns after using Mean Look. :/

But I eventually caught that jerk. :lol

A "collector" in the Battle Frontier just told me that "My buddies and I came up with this team over the internet, it took us all day!" :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Inferno313 said:
A "collector" in the Battle Frontier just told me that "My buddies and I came up with this team over the internet, it took us all day!" :lol

:lol Treehouse.

Azure Phoenix said:

ENTEI woke up!
ENTEI used Roar!
*throws DS Lite*

I need explaination and how this could happen:
It's my first encounter with Entei
My level 42 Butterfree goes first. Uses Sleep Powder. ENTEI falls asleep.
ENTEI flees! (don't remember if a Roar caused it).

It's friggin asleep, didn't wake up, and halfway through turn one, it's gone.

Kurtofan

Gaming Truth said:
I need explaination and how this could happen:
It's my first encounter with Entei
My level 42 Butterfree goes first. Uses Sleep Powder. ENTEI falls asleep.
ENTEI flees! (don't remember if a Roar caused it).

It's friggin asleep, didn't wake up, and halfway through turn one, it's gone.
Ever heard of sleepwalking? :p

Joke aside Entei is a huge pain in the ass.
My Snorlax prevents him from fleeing:Entei uses roar
FUUU

Delio

Oh gawd..does anyone have a decent Palkia for trade? I know that's a huge request but i'd have to restart freaking Platinum to get one that is the right nature for the Regionals.

Gravijah

Delio said:
Oh gawd..does anyone have a decent Palkia for trade? I know that's a huge request but i'd have to restart freaking Platinum to get one that is the right nature for the Regionals.

Did you already get Palkai from the Arceus event?

Damn it! What about Japan? There has to be at least one region where they understand the true meaning of pokemon!

Thanks for all the nice words btw! Only encourages me to do better!

Gravijah

Metroid Killer said:
Damn it! What about Japan? There has to be at least one region where they understand the true meaning of pokemon!

Thanks for all the nice words btw! Only encourages me to do better!

SS sold better in Japan too IIRC.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JohnTinker said:
Does Oak give you the Kanto starters after beating E4 post 16 badges?

He gives you one of them. Then if you catch all three legendary birds the Silph Co. president gives you a Hoenn starter.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Gravijah said:
Gotta beat
RED!
Andrex said:
He gives you one of them. Then if you catch all three legendary birds the Silph Co. president gives you a Hoenn starter.
;_;

I found
Red
earlier by accident while exploring Mt. Silver and looking for
Moltres
. I was not prepared.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Andrex said:

I got the hoenn starter for beating
Red
from Silph co. as well as getting a Kanto starter from oak.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
eggybob said:
I got the hoenn starter for beating
Red
from Silph co. as well as getting a Kanto starter from oak.

Huh, he wouldn't show up for me until I caught Zapdos (last of the three.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
eggybob said:
Actually, i have Zapdos but not the other 2. But it didn't activate until i beat him.

Maybe it has something to do with the malfunctioning elevator door and Zapdos.

Firestorm

Azure Phoenix said:

ENTEI woke up!
ENTEI used Roar!
*throws DS Lite*
Who are you using Mean Look with? They probably learn Taunt too. Use Taunt so he can't use Roar.

Little Green Yoda said:
The best way is to not think about stat gains at all.

Just remember that w/e EVs you accumulate for a Pokemon are tracked. Each time that Pokemon levels up, the game throws the EVs/IVs/nature/etc. into a formula and recalculates the stats. So as long as you're getting the right EVs, don't worry about the "+X" graphic at all.

If you really enjoy seeing that graphic though, you can always cram as much EVs as possible before the stat gets recalculated. That way when it does recalculate, the difference will be much greater. Placing a Pokemon in the PC will recalculate stats though.

EV reducing berries and vitamins also lead to stat recalculation but I don't know if all stats are recalculated or just the one related to the berry/vitamin.
I've been thinking about it all day and this is the only idea that made sense to me. If I train against enough pokes to gain +25 EV points then I should see them all at once or at small intervals(5 or 6) through five or six levels.

Time to test this idea next.:lol

Ok for the Adamant it's 15/15/15/20/14/25 and for Jolly it's 15/15/15/4/14/9. Well... time to get to breeding! :lol

Though I'm probably reading the calculator wrong.

Top Bottom