• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Picross |OT| It's been 16 years

I would say to buy the 4000 pack, then the 200 and 800 ones at the lower price, if you want to "buy out" the game. That way, you'd pay the minimum of $30 for everything.

Dunno if this is a good place to ask but you guys got any suggestions for Picross-like games on Android?

Anyway, I've been able to reach area 4 without having to pay a cent but I think I've reached a wall now. I'm at ~40 picrites and I need 80 to move on. Maybe I'll get those one-time offers...

Dunno if this is a good place to ask but you guys got any suggestions for Picross-like games on Android?

Anyway, I've been able to reach area 4 without having to pay a cent but I think I've reached a wall now. I'm at ~40 picrites and I need 80 to move on. Maybe I'll get those one-time offers...

Can't answer your question as this is my first time playing a Picross game.

I am in the same situation. I stupidly bought a third Pokemon slot, so I was stop in area 3. I just got enough picrites to buy area 4 by perfecting all the 10x10 Pokemon, in addition to the daily training.

This game really needs a better way to earn picrites in-game.

Doing the daily training things gives you barely anything, and I've done most of the level's optional requirements (the ones I'm able to).

I made it to area 5 before running out of picrites (I used some to upgrade my energy meter once) and now there's pretty much nothing left to do but wait. Picross DS had some memory challenges and stuff like that and I think this games needs more stuff like than than just the daily training stuff.

If DLC was planned for this game (like if ALL pokemon would be planned to come eventually) I'd be a lot more willing to spend the full $30 to remove this stuff.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Use Manaphy's Blue Force.

But if you don't want to use that ability, you'll have to scour each row/column to see if there are any confirmed squares. Even for something like 6-1-1-1 on a 15-line can net you some squares.

So essentially I need those Auto Fix?

BowieZ

Banned
My question didn't get answered earlier (not sure if anyone knows) but as I'm addicted to really tough normal or mega picrosses, anyone know what this game has in the range of the harder side of things?

Seil

My question didn't get answered earlier (not sure if anyone knows) but as I'm addicted to really tough normal or mega picrosses, anyone know what this game has in the range of the harder side of things?

The bulk of puzzles I've encountered so far have been easy 10x10, but I've encountered some 20x15 that gave me more trouble than I'd like to admit without the use of pokemon skills lol. I'm assuming the 20x15 is reserved for special pokemon like legendaries, though.

There's also the Alt World which apparently has mega picross versions of all the puzzles, haven't bought into it yet, but having an alternate version of the puzzles you've already done seems like a meh way to add content to me.

jnWake

Celebi
took me so long to clear. I even made a mistake once and started over from scratch since I couldn't undo my actions. I'm slowly figuring out techniques though, but it's tough.

Seil

Thats not too bad. That makes it 500 for like 40 puzzles then, right?

There's somewhere between 40 and 50 of them I believe, yeah. Then if you count Alt World I guess there's that too.

There're way more than 40 Mega puzzles. There's every Pokemon redone as a Mega puzzle.

They don't mean Mega as in Mega Picross in the Alt World, but rather Mega as in Mega Evolution. You need the Mega Brush to work on Mega Evolution puzzles.

Mega

Elija2

You still have to advance through the areas to unlock the different Mega Evolution puzzles, right? So even if you spend 500 Picrites to get the Mega Pencil, you still have to spend more Picrites to actually gain access to the 48 puzzles it gives you. It's probably not worth buying until after you've unlocked all the areas.

Robin64

It would be amusing if Volcanion made his debut in this. I do wonder why they still officially said nothing about that one, it's not really super special or anything.

Seil

It would be amusing if Volcanion made his debut in this. I do wonder why they still officially said nothing about that one, it's not really super special or anything.

Because it'll probably make an appearance in a movie after the next game comes out.

JoeM86

It'll be with next year's movie.

Do note that it was 34 months between Diamond & Pearl's launch and the release of Arceus.

It may not "seem" special, but it is a Mythical Pokémon. Plus they'll probably throw in one of the new things in Z or whatever that game is, or a new Mega Evolution/form, to help promote it.

If you pay to access the alt-world, do you get alt-puzzles for all the areas you've already unlocked, or do they have their own separate costs? Like, will I pay 300, then another cost to get into area 2, area 3 etc.

I think I already know the answer given 500 picrites gives you just under 50 puzzles, but figured I'd ask...

Thanks! :)

If you pay to access the alt-world, do you get alt-puzzles for all the areas you've already unlocked, or do they have their own separate costs? Like, will I pay 300, then another cost to get into area 2, area 3 etc.

I think I already know the answer given 500 picrites gives you just under 50 puzzles, but figured I'd ask...

Thanks! :)

Any new normal areas you unlock will automatically be available as alt worlds. No picrites can be earned from them though.

Why don't they just make all free to play games like demos where you can play one or two levels in each size but if you want to play more you buy the whole game.

It doesn't feel like I'm playing picross. It's not me vs. the puzzle, it's me vs. the free to play system and trying to work out what I need to do in order to spend the least amount of money.

It's almost as if the free to play aspect is the puzzle game and the Picross portion is the easy part.

Seil

Why don't they just make all free to play games like demos where you can play one or two levels in each size but if you want to play more you buy the whole game.

It doesn't feel like I'm playing picross. It's not me vs. the puzzle, it's me vs. the free to play system and trying to work out what I need to do in order to spend the least amount of money.

It's almost as if the free to play aspect is the puzzle game and the Picross portion is the easy part.

This is one of the few examples where a f2p game actually does kind of work like that, though. You're only ever allowed to buy 5000 picrites, which can be done for $30, and after that it's basically a completely unlocked game.

This is one of the few examples where a f2p game actually does kind of work like that, though. You're only ever allowed to buy 5000 picrites, which can be done for $30, and after that it's basically a completely unlocked game.

I think we all know that the game isn't actually worth that much though. I'm quite happy playing the game slowly and taking my time, but being good at picross I honestly have spent more time thinking about when to stop playing or where to use my gems as opposed to having trouble solving the actual puzzles themselves lol.

No thanks! Stretchmo is kinda like that and I HATED it (besides not liking the Pullmo series at all).

Much prefer to see how far I can go without paying and then if forced just drop it and enjoy my experience. I'm having a blast and I'm in Area 5ish, and I like the F2P model because it matches my lifestyle much better (but Shuffle does this much better, admittedly)

BowieZ

Banned
The bulk of puzzles I've encountered so far have been easy 10x10, but I've encountered some 20x15 that gave me more trouble than I'd like to admit without the use of pokemon skills lol. I'm assuming the 20x15 is reserved for special pokemon like legendaries, though.
Thanks! Not sure if this is worth the purchase then. I might just try and find some other means of tickling my advanced picross fancy.

No thanks! Stretchmo is kinda like that and I HATED it (besides not liking the Pullmo series at all).

Much prefer to see how far I can go without paying and then if forced just drop it and enjoy my experience. I'm having a blast and I'm in Area 5ish, and I like the F2P model because it matches my lifestyle much better (but Shuffle does this much better, admittedly)

You haven't encountered the game's F2P model yet. At some point soon you won't have enough Picrites to unlock the next area and that's just the end of the game until you pay, same as Stretchmo. You're railing against an F2P model that lets you play for a while (unhindered) and then asks you to pay $10, and praising one that lets you play for a bit longer (under the thumb of an energy meter) and then asks you to pay $30.

Seil

You haven't encountered the game's F2P model yet. At some point soon you won't have enough Picrites to unlock the next area and that's just the end of the game until you pay, same as Stretchmo. You're railing against an F2P model that lets you play for a while (unhindered) and then asks you to pay $10, and praising one that lets you play for a bit longer (under the thumb of an energy meter) and then asks you to pay $30.

It's not the end, someone that's willing to wait (a ridiculously long time) is very much capable of doing everything for free using their picrites from the daily training.

That said, while there are better values, I don't have a problem with this model. I'd rather this than a game designed to endlessly milk people like most f2p games. While I'd recommend someone grab the Picross e series games first if they just want a picross fix on 3ds since it's more bang for your buck, I don't really have a problem with this being roughly $30. It could be better, but it could also be worse.

I was really fearing this would end up being closer to Shuffle, which would've disappointed me more. I don't like shuffle's design with its energy, rng catch rates, timed legendaries and mega stone leaderboard contests and so on. Then there's the mobile version making everything worse for the player haha.

I While I'd recommend someone grab the Picross e series games first if they just want a picross fix on 3ds since it's more bang for your buck, I don't really have a problem with this being roughly $30. It could be better, but it could also be worse.

I know it's dramatic, but I feel like supporting a business model like this is exactly how things do get worse. Vote with your wallet, and all that. The game as it is just is not a good value proposition to me, so I kind of already regret putting in the $6.50 I did. Nightmares about Nintendo seeing that people are willing to drop $30 on a PIcross game and making that the default price point for all future Picrosses :p

Seil

I know it's dramatic, but I feel like supporting a business model like this is exactly how things do get worse. Vote with your wallet, and all that. The game as it is just is not a good value proposition to me, so I kind of already regret putting in the $6.50 I did. Nightmares about Nintendo seeing that people are willing to drop $30 on a PIcross game and making that the default price point for all future Picrosses :p

I feel the same yet opposite. Yes, vote with your wallet. This is why I choose to delete stuff like Shuffle and would rather pay for something like this.

Not to mention before the eshop entries we already had retail priced picross games so...

Edit: Plus it's a Pokemon spin-off. I mean, I'd like it more if this had been designed as a retail game with at least a couple hundred more puzzles, but even as it is I wouldn't honestly expect to pay less than $20 for it because they know they could get that with the Pokemon name alone lol.

Picross DS was already around this price point, almost a decade ago. Like Pokemon Picross, it had more puzzles and more polish than the e series.

I wonder if people would have complained about that price, too.

But Picross DS had large puzzles and local multiplayer... plus like you said it released so many years ago and back then it was worth the price. Now we are paying more for less content. I'd say this game is worth 15 at most.

I see there is a one use 800 picrites for £3.59. Is this enough to enjoy the game without ever feeling you have to wait too long?

Bisonian

Might want to check out "Paint it Back" on steam. Doesn't have the same presentation values as Jupiter's Picross games on 3DS but it works just fine. Starts small but quickly ramps up to very large (40x24) puzzles. It's a good amount of content for $8.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/385250/

Seil

But Picross DS had large puzzles and local multiplayer... plus like you said it released so many years ago and back then it was worth the price. Now we are paying more for less content. I'd say this game is worth 15 at most.

I see there is a one use 800 picrites for £3.59. Is this enough to enjoy the game without ever feeling you have to wait too long?

Not really, no. I bought the two one-off packs for 1,000 picrites at $5. With those, if you max your energy gauge and unlock a third Pokemon slot you'll dry up around Area 9 or 10. Maxing the energy gauge makes it infinite, but you're still constrained by the Picrite cost of unlocking new areas.

While I prefer this model to traditional F2P models since it essentially unlocks once you hit the 5000 picrite limit, I do admit it's not friendly to free players or dabblers.

Edit: Opting to not max the energy gauge will save you a lot of Picrites, and allow you to progress further, however you'll be constrained by the energy meter in that situation instead. So you can either go further but take much longer to get there, or progress smoothly for a shorter amount of content.

Fireblend

Banned
I have $20 in eShop credit. Am I better off adding $15 to completely unlock this game, or should I buy Picross e3, e5 and e6 instead? (I already own e4)?

The playing longer is the important part. I have about 10ish hours already and for the best price of free the game can uninstall itself right now and I'd still leave with a great time.

And the energy meter doesn't bother me. I wasn't going to use all of it in one sitting anyway!

Picross DS was already around this price point, almost a decade ago. Like Pokemon Picross, it had more puzzles and more polish than the e series.

I wonder if people would have complained about that price, too.

Ignoring the extra things the DS game had (loads of free DLC, bigger puzzles, a puzzle creator, multiplayer stuff, more robust daily challenges, etc), things change in eight years, I guess. Six E games in a row have given me certain expectations as to the value of a Picross game, and Pokemon falls short of those by a long way. I really don't want to go back to this kind of pricing structure.

(Although, if any Nintendo ninjas are reading this, I will absolutely pay full retail price if you ever bring Picross 3D 2 to the west)

I certainly made a mistake going for the extra stamina and slot upgrades. Stuck in Area 4 with only 40 picrites, whoops.

Though, Gamefaqs was kind enough to share the passwords so I'll have a couple of 20x15 puzzles to keep me company.

I did this exact thing, and it sucks balls.

I've now finished every puzzle up to area 4 (except for the random occurrence puzzle in Area 4).

I've got like 40 picrites and I need 80 to open the next area. I have 1 puzzle that I can squeeze another 5 picrites from, but that's it.

I just wish there was something else I could do to earn the fake monies. I actually wouldn't mind throwing money at the game if I didn't feel like they so very poorly presenting how rare picrites actually are.

Seil

I have $20 in eShop credit. Am I better off adding $15 to completely unlock this game, or should I buy Picross e3, e5 and e6 instead? (I already own e4)?

I don't think there are many that would disagree that the Picross e series is the better value. The only time I'd recommend paying for Pokemon Picross over buying Picross e games is if someone is more interested in the Pokemon spin on things than just having Picross puzzles.

The playing longer is the important part. I have about 10ish hours already and for the best price of free the game can uninstall itself right now and I'd still leave with a great time.

And the energy meter doesn't bother me. I wasn't going to use all of it in one sitting anyway!

I suppose it depends on your familiarity with Picross, then. I hit the wall after around ninety minutes, then putting in $6.50 (the price I'd usually pay for an E game) only bought me another five hours of play. At my normal puzzle-solving speed, that energy meter empties really quickly.

I just wish there was something else I could do to earn the fake monies. I actually wouldn't mind throwing money at the game if I didn't feel like they so very poorly presenting how rare picrites actually are.

Have a look at the achievements and see if there's anything you can earn there. Probably won't go too far but you might make another 10 or so.

I just bought the cheap (ish) 1,000 Picrites. I figure the game's gotta be worth $5 at least and I think it'll go a fair way if I don't buy anything stupid. I don't need stamina upgrades because I only plan to play two or three puzzles a day, I don't need the alt-world because there's no Picrites to earn there so it's a waste for now, don't need Megas for a similar reason, they won't pay for themselves.

So basically just unlocking areas and maybe a third slot when I get to a point where I can earn enough Picrites with the missions it will make available to pay it off. Playing two or three puzzles a day and the daily challenge, I reckon those Picrites will get me past area 20 at least.

Ignoring the extra things the DS game had (loads of free DLC, bigger puzzles, a puzzle creator, multiplayer stuff, more robust daily challenges, etc), things change in eight years, I guess. Six E games in a row have given me certain expectations as to the value of a Picross game, and Pokemon falls short of those by a long way. I really don't want to go back to this kind of pricing structure.

(Although, if any Nintendo ninjas are reading this, I will absolutely pay full retail price if you ever bring Picross 3D 2 to the west)

I legit forgot that Picross DS had multiplayer and a puzzle creator.

Anyway, I would agree that Pokemon Picross is a bit overpriced (with Canadian prices I had to pay ~$40; I would have been happier with ~$30), but I'm in the camp that feels like the sheer volume of complaints in this thread is a bit unwarranted. Especially since I was actually hoping for this model rather than the awful one Pokemon Shuffle uses.

Top Bottom