• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Picross |OT| It's been 16 years

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
After looking at the full list of Pokemon included the base game, I don't think there will be any significant DLC. The game looks like it already covers all of the major bases. All of the starters + their final evolution, mega evolutions, legendaries, and various popular Pokemon seem to be included. I'd love to be wrong on this and have the full roster available, but I'm personally not going to count on it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Has around 315 of em going by Joe's list.
If it had all of them then the content complaints would lessen.

Hmm yeah, 30 bucks for that amount feels less.

How many puzzles does a usual picross have, as well as its price?

Picross e1-e5 seem to have had around 150 puzzles each for $6, while e6 apparently has 300 for the same $6 price. So yeah, Pokemon Picross isn't really that great a value, but... Fuck it, it's Pokemon, and I'm a sucker for Pokemon. I haven't actually bought any of the Picross e games yet and since I can't add the exact amount of money needed for this game I'll use the excess to get e6 as well!

I'm not sure what the prices are in US dollars since I only have access to the Australian eShop, but I imagine the ratios are much the same:

Picross E6 is 150 puzzles for $6.50
Pokemon Picross is 300+ for $39 (more when you consider that it won't let you just add the required funds to your eShop wallet)

Both games let you play every puzzle in normal or Mega Picross form. The later E games also unlock an extra 15 puzzles each if you have save files from the earlier games, but that's neither here nor there if you're only buying one. Basically, Pokemon Picross is twice the content for six times the price. You just have to decide whether it's worth it to you; personally I can wait for a special offer or some additional content.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In the US, you only need to spend $29.97 to max out the shop, not $40. And you can just add money in $10 increments.

Even if you do the most expensive method, 25 purchase of 200, it would be $37.50.

But yeah, the Picross E games are better values for sure.

In Australia the discounted 200 and 800 packs come to $6.50, then the 4000 pack is $32.50. $39 all up, exactly the same price as all six E games together.

How much do the E games cost on the US store, out of interest? I'd imagine it all works out much the same with exchange rates and stuff.

jnWake

Got Manaphy today. Gosh it was a pretty high difficulty raise (first Picross game for me) and I couldn't even use hints haha. It took me like 40 minutes so I didn't get the achievements.

The Picross fiend in me finds some amusement every time someone says Manaphy's puzzle is hard. There are so many big numbers in it. :p

I totally understand being a novice, though. I still remember my sister explaining "overlapping numbers" to me for the first time. :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
For me, I'm actually a bit surprised 20x15 is the largest puzzle type in the game. I usually play 20x20 puzzles, and I know the Nonogram puzzle game I play on my phone goes upto 30x50.

For me, I'm actually a bit surprised 20x15 is the largest puzzle type in the game. I usually play 20x20 puzzles, and I know the Nonogram puzzle game I play on my phone goes upto 30x50.

Picross DS had 20x25 puzzles, but they've disappeared from the series since. :( I thought they might have come back here, but I've caught a handful of legendaries already and nope.

Yeah, Jupiter seems really reluctant to bring back the zoom function that Picross DS used with the larger puzzles, for some reason. It was a little awkward, but I'll happily take a bit of awkwardness over losing 20x20s and 20x25s altogether.

Maybe the portable NX will have a bigger screen that'll be able to fit bigger puzzles without needing to zoom in?

JoeM86

I just can't solve the Manaphy puzzle no matter what I try. I can't even get very far, which is kind of sad. I was stuck on it for over an hour and 11 minutes yesterday and I'm busting my head over it again today.

I have saved all the solutions in case I need them for my site

lqv66mG.png

One quick maths tip to make it slightly easier to know when stuff can be filled in on large puzzles...

Say you've got a row of 15 blocks, and the clues are 4, 3, 2, 1.

Code:
4-3-2-1
 1 1 1

Add up the clues, so 10, and then add up the gaps between the clues, so 3, and you get 13. There were 15 blocks in the row, so if you take 13 off of that you're left with 2.

Now you can use that 2 to work out how much you'd be able to fill in. Go back to the original clues (4, 3, 2, 1) and subtract 2 from each number. What you now know is that you will be able to fill in 2 blocks from the "4" clue, and one block from the "3" clue.

I don't know if that sounds way more complicated than it actually is, but it's very basic maths if you give it a go! Everyone on GAF can add to 20!

This also can be done on partial rows and columns too, of course.

One quick maths tip to make it slightly easier to know when stuff can be filled in on large puzzles...

Say you've got a row of 15 blocks, and the clues are 4, 3, 2, 1.

Code:
4-3-2-1
 1 1 1

Add up the clues, so 10, and then add up the gaps between the clues, so 3, and you get 13. There were 15 blocks in the row, so if you take 13 off of that you're left with 2.

Now you can use that 2 to work out how much you'd be able to fill in. Go back to the original clues (4, 3, 2, 1) and subtract 2 from each number. What you now know is that you will be able to fill in 2 blocks from the "4" clue, and one block from the "3" clue.

I don't know if that sounds way more complicated than it actually is, but it's very basic maths if you give it a go! Everyone on GAF can add to 20!

This also can be done on partial rows and columns too, of course.

What I do to work this out, and is actually the thing that made me quickly spend on my meter so I wasn't was wasting blocks, is fill out the line from the start then see how far it goes. Then delete the number of empty blocks from the end from the start of any of the blocks I've filled in.

daxy

I've been enjoying this game quite a bit, despite the general lack truly challenging puzzles so far. Its free to start thing is quite generous, and I'm in area 5 without having spent anything. I'll probably go through the 'main' game only, because the mega evolutions and alt worlds seem quite expensive, but that's a whole lot of game already. I'm confused as to why you'd want to buy mega evolutions as it doesn't seem like they're worth it whatsoever if all you're unlocking is that one stage.

In any case, I was inspired to finally pick up Picross DS. Found it for even less than the Picross e games go for, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I've enjoyed this game. Its free to start thing is quite generous, and so far I'm in area 5 without having spent anything. I'll probably go through the 'main' game only, because the mega evolutions and alt worlds seem quite expensive, but that's a whole lot of game.

In any case, I was inspired to finally pick up Picross DS. Found it for even less than the Picross e games go for, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Alt World isn't too bad at 300. A bit pricy, but its a one time thing and doubles the number of puzzles you have access too.

The Mega Evolution are really expensive though. 500 Points for each for a single puzzle.

JoeM86

Alt World isn't too bad at 300. A bit pricy, but its a one time thing and doubles the number of puzzles you have access too.

The Mega Evolution are really expensive though. 500 Points for each for a single puzzle.

It's only 500 Picrites for the Mega Pencil to do the Mega stages. Not 500 for each Mega puzzle

daxy

I would have a go at the alt worlds if I can get enough points for the standard worlds, but I'm not sure with how the price has been ramping up.

It's only 500 Picrites for the Mega Pencil to do the Mega stages. Not 500 for each Mega puzzle

Ah, that makes much more sense.

XaosWolf

Should point out that that number is just the Pokèmon that are in. There are Alt-World versions (Mega Picross) of almost all of the stages and then the two 64 Tile Mural Picross (Micross)

320 Standard Puzzles
304 Mega Picross Puzzles
128 Mural Tile/Micross Puzzles

So 752 Base puzzles, and I'd expect more to come as that would only make sense.

Adding on the Missions for each which is basically just a time challenge for each and I'm happy with that price. Could be less, but I've spent more on far worse and content starved games.

WVW69iovqWQaX1DOWH

Been staring at this for so long that my stamina has completely refilled! I wish I'd had the foresight to bring a Pokémon with a working Blue Force.

4-8? The Pokémon is
Celebi
if it helps :)

4-8, yeah, and no, it doesn't really help :lol

Second row from bottom, fill in box 8 from left.

I'd looked at that a hundred times but figured I can complete that row in such a way as that box can be either filled or crossed.

Now I can see it's filled. I was working from the left and overlooked working from the right. Fucking hell.

Thanks!

Kinokou

So these mythical Pokemon, do they disappear again if you can't beat it? I kind of panicked about the time limit and cheated my way though it by looking at the sprite art. That size is not beginner friendly at all > <

JoeM86

So these mythical Pokemon, do they disappear again if you can't beat it? I kind of panicked about the time limit and cheated my way though it by looking at the sprite art. That size is not beginner friendly at all > <

They'll come back at a later point.

Razmos

Managed to capture Celebi using Dragonite, Mega Gengar and Greninja :3

Legit shocked at Celebi having a cooldown period of 24 hours though, that is pretty excessive.

Bii

15 and 20 sizes overwhelm me, any tricks on that? I rarely see the 4-3-2-1

Use Manaphy's Blue Force.

But if you don't want to use that ability, you'll have to scour each row/column to see if there are any confirmed squares. Even for something like 6-1-1-1 on a 15-line can net you some squares.

Oftentimes, solving a large puzzle is a matter of poring over each and every row - even a single X or dot can cascade into a complete solution, so yeah.

Meanwhile, I have to wait for a bit to continue playing since I spent all my Picrites on expanding stamina to 400, and didn't leave enough to unlock the next world :X

Wish daily challenges gave more...

Use Manaphy's Blue Force.

But if you don't want to use that ability, you'll have to scour each row/column to see if there are any confirmed squares. Even for something like 6-1-1-1 on a 15-line can net you some squares.

Also x's you can confirm. Sometimes all you can confirm is a single x somewhere, but it basically unlocks the whole puzzle.
I hate those.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So uh, anyone got the solution to 07-07, i.e. the legendary in that area? I think I might've screwed up, but thanks to the energy & time limit, I don't know if I want to risk starting over.

Edit: Finished it, just had one square in the wrong spot, easily fixible, now have 3 mysticals.

Chopper

I'm really sorry this is off-topic, but whilst I might have the attention of some Picross experts, can someone explain this to me? I enjoy Mega Picross, and have been getting on fine with them for a couple of E titles now, but this is a problem I haven't come across yet, I'm sure...

What?

I'm really sorry this is off-topic, but whilst I might have the attention of some Picross experts, can someone explain this to me? I enjoy Mega Picross, and have been getting on fine with them for a couple of E titles now, but this is a problem I haven't come across yet, I'm sure...

What?

I'm guessing that looking at the column, whether that's the Mega 2 or the Normal 1 it will still have an x right under it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
>has to clear a stage in 1 minute
>gets 1:02
>has to wait for an hour for scatter reveal

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Least I got Leafeon & can do that one mission in Area 6.

Edit: THEN I FORGOT TO DO THE HYPER SCAN ON SAID MISSION UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

You're not wrong! Legend, cheers.

Edit: Puzzle done, it was a Narwhal. Begs the question: Why is the row highlighted?

No problem, I haven't done Mega puzzles in a while but from what I can see the top of the tile I said will have an X too since nothing on that column is bigger than 1 going up and down (Mega 2 = 1 each left and right)

Edit: As for the row, the mega 8 can normally only go left at a maximum of 7 on the top since it needs one at the bottom. However it can't go 7 cos then the rest won't fit (the 2, the 1, 1 for the mega 3 and 1 for the mega 2) so there's an x on the 7th tile I think. (Starting from the tile you've uncovered going left) I hope that makes sense.

Wait maybe that's completely wrong because you can just fill in the 8 in other ways. I'll keep looking :p

OK it's quite simple but hard to explain through words. The Mega 8 can't stretch as a 7,1 but it can stretch as a 6,2 5,3 4,4 3,5 2,6. Either way you then have to put a cross both on the top and bottom where it has stretched then put the 1 then another set of x then the 2. Looking at this you know that there are certain squares on row 2 that must be X because the Mega 8 can't stretch out to it but the Mega 3 also can't go there.

e2ZSbTk.jpg

5MgGwzZ.jpg

Vb8VZrm.jpg

Notice how in all cases there are three X on the second row in the same place? (Right in the middle) I belive those are guaranteed X. Like I said I'm a bit rusty at mega picross so if anyone can confirm that'll be great.

As a massive Picross nerd (all the Jupiter ones, picking up and clearing 100% every Picross e series that has been appearing hungrily) this one is great. The Picross is as Picross should be (all the bells and whistles that Jupiter put in), and the extra quest element is a cool addition.

Went straight for unlocking all the F2P stuff. Wished at that stage they would just get rid of the timers altogether rather than sticking with having to use potions, but hey ho. A tiny complaint so far.

Went straight for unlocking all the F2P stuff. Wished at that stage they would just get rid of the timers altogether rather than sticking with having to use potions, but hey ho. A tiny complaint so far.

Interestingly, you can't use potions to make legendaries/mythical Pokemon recover, so the timers still serve a "purpose" in that way (to keep the game from being totally breakable, I guess).

Top Bottom