• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y will not receive a patch for compatibility with ORAS's new Megas

domlolz

Banned
The fact that they've done things this way before doesn't make it ok.

oh yeah but i just expect this to happen and any fans should too. theres not really any continuity with features in pokemon games. i loved the feature in HG/SS where you could have your pokemon follow you and we haven't seen it since.

e: i'm just used to being disappointed wrt features in pokemon games

DedValve

Banned
Yeah, I mean let's be fair, when Capcom releases Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, or Super Street Fighter IV, the players with the old games have to buy the new games or they won't be able to use the new characters.

And Capcom always catches shit when they do it (which is why SF4 went the upgrade path after SSFIV)

Yeah, I mean let's be fair, when Capcom releases Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom, or Super Street Fighter IV, the players with the old games have to buy the new games or they won't be able to use the new characters.
Capcom allowed people with SSFIV to just buy AE and Ultra content as discounted DLC.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I might be misremembering things... but I remember GF specifically saying they weren't going to be patching X/Y in this manner even back before the games came out. When people datamined X/Y and found the extra Pokemon and the forms for the Lati@s it was assumed that was gonna be for Gen 6.

No, I believe GameFreak said they weren't going to make balance patches. A lot of people thought the Event Pokemon were going to be DLC this time around and not in the game---although then we found the Event Pokemon, but people still thought we'd see new Megas as DLC. I did, atleast.

Makes me wonder...XY Game 3 is DEFINITELY going to have its own Mega Evolutions too. Will GameFreak perhaps actually throw in all the new Pokemon they have planned for that game in ORAS, hidden, to make sure this doesn't happen next time?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Whatever, that's less Mega clogging up in X and Y.

Just watch Pokémon Z to be able to house all the past mega plus having more and then gen 7 rolls around and boom no more Mega.

I'd be fine with that, actually. Gen 4 had the better idea in just giving real evolutions.

Agreed, I was expecting gen 6 to be another gen 4 but was left really disappointed when I learnt that Mega aren't really new Pokémon according to the in-game Pokédex.

They also had never made a sequel title before either and then Black 2 and White 2 happened. Plus Nintendo trademarked Delta Emerald. I think it's going to happen.

They trademark a lot of names so that no-one else can use it, plus if Delta Emerald was going to exist Mega Rayquaza wouldn't have existed just yet.

Doesn't look that different. (What I mean is they can obviously achieve a similar effect without nuking the engine. Slightly better models aren't worth tanking the framerate.)

I prefer the Pokémon model in Smash Bros 3DS over the one in Pokémon X and Y.

LordOfChaos

I wonder how much it actually costs to make these games. Can't imagine costs being even close to other games that pull in as much money.

Semajer

This is disappointing to say the least. I was quite looking forward to the first game in the series to be updated to allow new forms/etc. to be shown as if they were included in the base game.

You lost me with "and the lack of improvements to their shitty X and Y engine". Thought the X & Y engine was fantastic, only bad one was Diamond/Pearl

You mean the engine which struggled to have 3D in but the most basic implementation? The engine whose framerate shit itself whenever there was more than one Pokemon on screen? That engine?

Watch Da Birdie

Oh yeah, Pikachu's model is BEYOND AMAZING in Smash 4...

Seriously, he's fucking adorable. You can't really see it on the small 3DS screen, but they really spruced up his animations.

I wonder how much it actually costs to make these games. Can't imagine costs being even close to other games that pull in as much money.
The series being a high return investment is what allows them to take risks with other games. Still, it's impressive what they can get away with.

brinstar

Makes me wonder...XY Game 3 is DEFINITELY going to have its own Mega Evolutions too. Will GameFreak perhaps actually throw in all the new Pokemon they have planned for that game in ORAS, hidden, to make sure this doesn't happen next time?

Well, it really depends on what the next game will even be, but I can see a scenario where the next game is in the same boat this one is, with a focus on giving Kalos-native Pokemon Mega forms.

udivision

The return on investment/margins for Pokemon remakes is probably the best ROI for any Nintendo games, I bet.

Well... ignoring a few one-off Wii-craze games.

Don't tell anyone but the Smash models are actually lower poly when the game isn't paused, when it is the models are switched for higher poly versions.

Even, its still incompetent to sit with a jagged framerate for the second time and not find a workaround for it. To defend that with, "oh, we get better defined models" isn't valid.

The game isn't doing much for it to tank so easily.

I'm more bummed about the lack of trainer customisation in ORAS.

Game Freak is such a shitty dev, I hate how they cut every new feature each game in favour of some new gimmicks.

I bet after ORAS we will never see flying again.

Azure J

Hold the fucking phone. I thought no trainer customization just meant that there'd be no haircuts/clothing options.

I can't be BLACK?

Fucking bullshit. >:|

Kenai

Damnit, i wanted to be darker skinned again.

Don't even care about the megas (that is REALLY old hat been around since Formes were a thing and is super standard practice throughout the industry) but skin tone options took so long to finally get in and now they are gone again. :mad:

Keyouta

I hope ORAS has a difficulty selection. I've wanted it for so long, and they finally implement it (really badly) in B2W2, but then remove it the year after. I also hope that this updated engine will run well, at least at 30fps. The excuse that the engine is too powerful for the 3DS is laughable.

I hope ORAS has a difficulty selection. I've wanted it for so long, and they finally implement it (really badly) in B2W2, but then remove it the year after. I also hope that this updated engine will run well, at least at 30fps. The excuse that the engine is too powerful for the 3DS is laughable.

I don't think we will get a difficulty selection again. GF has a terrible habit of taking away shit for no reason. They have the power to do so much with their games, but they just hold back for no reason at all.

Clefargle

Well yeah.
When call of duty advanced warfare comes out i won't be able to use the new perks or maps in ghosts. But go ahead and keep posting "LOLNINTENDO" comments guys. Super productive

OT: the way that pokemon has always worked is that you transfer your pokemon to the new game and then you have them all in one game. You've never been able to trade back. You couldn't trade new pokemon from gold to red. Why is this any different.

Fucking exactly, why the hell did people expect them to do this?

Watch Da Birdie

Hold the fucking phone. I thought no trainer customization just meant that there'd be no haircuts/clothing options.

I can't be BLACK?

Fucking bullshit. >:|

You know, I gotta say, I never really considered this being a white dude---I just see customization as a pretty lame feature that XY never fully realized with a few basic clothing options, so I really wasn't too upset. I guess I really never thought about the white privilege in that.

ChrisD

If they don't have Emerald's Battle Frontier, I'm out. Will pick it up off of someone else later down the road. With all of the mistakes they're making, that Frontier is the only thing that could sucker me in to still purchasing day one.

udivision

What if a kid accidentally chose the hard option? He'd be crushed. He may never play Pokemon ever again. Upon seeing that their friends got crushed by Pokemon, children across the world will refuse to play Pokemon until Game Freak publicly apologized and patched out the difficulty option.

You know, I gotta say, I never really considered this being a white dude---I just see customization as a pretty lame feature that XY never fully realized with a few basic clothing options, so I really wasn't too upset. I guess I really never thought about the white privilege in that.

You were too busy enjoying enslaving monsters to realize YOU were the monster.

heh

Does COD have a long tradition of inter-game compatibility and competition? No? Stop comparing them, then.

We've had the time of a game's obsolesence shortened from 4 years to one for no good reason. Being pissed is not unreasonable.

Trey

It was a no brainer feature. It was ignored at worst, well beloved at best. Very simple to implement and took nothing away from the game. It gave the player more control through options, which is always a good thing.

Fandangox

I am really disappointed, character customization should be a staple of the series.

I don't care about the megas much, but they really should be patched to the X Y players.

Taruranto

They know people will buy it regardless, so of course.

Their game still don't have more than 1 save slot so you are forced to buy more copies.

Mr-Joker

Banned

As a guy with brown skin I just opted to go with the default skin as the option was terrible, the non white skin was not the right tone for my skin colour.

Honestly I am not to bothered that they aren't returning.

What if a kid accidentally chose the hard option? He'd be crushed. He may never play Pokemon ever again. Upon seeing that their friends got crushed by Pokemon, children across the world will refuse to play Pokemon until Game Freak publicly apologized and patched out the difficulty option.

You could switch difficulty keys freely in BW2, so you weren't railroaded to something unsuitable for a whole playthrough.

Clefargle

Does COD have a long tradition of inter-game compatibility and competition? No? Stop comparing them, then.

We've had the time of a game's obsolesence shortened from 4 years to one for no good reason. Being pissed is not unreasonable.

I didn't compare them, I was responding to the posters point that none of the previous Pokemon games offered any type of TWO WAY inter game connectivity. Don't be intentionally ignorant of the history.

Usobuko

Banned
Does this meant that you can trade/battle from X& Y to ORAS except for the new Mega stones/pokemons etc? Hey Gamefreak, can you let us transfer items by bulk too? 1 by 1 through 2 x 3ds is an unapolgetic waste of time.

No customization is stupid though, I dress up my character every 10 online battles or so.

Crayolan

Nothing in that article says you can't use the new megas against players with XY. So long as they're usable in battles across all versions (even if you probably can't see the actual mega), this is no different than how it's always been with new formes.

Sciz

They've never added so much to the core content of a generation between two of its constituent games before. I'm honestly surprised that so many people expected to get a bunch of newly developed mega forms for free when that's one of the big selling points of these games.

Shame about the loss of features yet again, though. I sort of get why B team features don't filter back to the A team since the A team's always moved on to an updated codebase and doesn't schedule time for reimplementation, but surely the B team has all the character customization code and just needs to develop the art assets for it. They've gotta synchronize their feature updates for the series better.

Ondore

I know you couldn't use Rotom forms/Skymin/Giratina-O going from Platinum to DP and I *think* the Pichu variants from HG/SS to the other two gen IV games.

Just for my own edification - could you use the Black/White Kyruem on BW2 if the other player had BW1?

Griss

Just saw this thread. Amazed that anyone was expecting a patch, I genuinely don't get it.

Pokemon X & Y came out, they were good, we all had fun. Now Game Freak are moving on to the new game, which has new features to sell us on buying it. Why would anyone expect Game Freak to spend time and money patching the old game with their new features for the new game? When does this ever happen in standalone RPGs? I can't even think of one.

I've never come across new features in a sequel and thought 'Boy, dev X had better patch this new stuff into the old game!' The very idea is absurd. So, quite honestly, where did this expectation come from? Because judging from this thread a fair few people expected it.

Dryk

Please tell me what you would do with your pokemon in X and Y. If you're going to buy OR/AS then just transfer your pokemon from X and Y to OR/A . If you're not going to buy OR/AS then you won't have megas to transfer back so its a non-problem. I don't see the outrage, sorry.
X is where my trainer is, X is where all my competitive Pokemon were born and raised. If there was a way I could buy AS and send all the mega stones back I would do it in a heartbeat. I can't consolidate all my stuff into one place, for no other reason than Gamefreak didn't feel like it, and it's shitty.

They had a chance to finally make their generations more of a holistic ecosystem with Pokemon Bank and ORAS but they've just splintered them even harder. I mean at the moment their entire franchise marketing revolves around Kalos. Why the fuck is Hoenn the most important place again.

I've never come across new features in a sequel and thought 'Boy, dev X had better patch this new stuff into the old game!' The very idea is absurd. So, quite honestly, where did this expectation come from? Because judging from this thread a fair few people expected it.

Because they use the same engine and the new one is coming out barely a year after the original?

ZeroX03

Banned
No patch sucks, but the more I think about it there's a whole bunch of logistical stuff that'd need to change. Hopefully next gen.

No customization though? Oh well.

jax

Banned
Who gives a shit if the old game gets new Pokemon? That's never been the case, why would it start now?

The lack of customization on the other hand, is pretty lame. I'd rather that be patched into ORAS than XY being patched fer megas TBH.

Azure J

Just saw this thread. Amazed that anyone was expecting a patch, I genuinely don't get it.

Pokemon X & Y came out, they were good, we all had fun. Now Game Freak are moving on to the new game, which has new features to sell us on buying it. Why would anyone expect Game Freak to spend time and money patching the old game with their new features for the new game? When does this ever happen in standalone RPGs? I can't even think of one.

Thought processes like this are the reason why I hated the vanilla Gen 3. "Hurr let's just not make it possible for Azure's favorite Pokemon to be acquired at any point in the main game because new game and Pokedex bitches!"

At the very least though, Ruby (in my example) had the ability to talk to FireRed/LeafGreen to bring over more of the OG 151 + some Johto holdouts that weren't normally obtainable in the Hoenn region. This situation is pretty much generating new Pokemon/Pokemon forms that won't be standard between two titles in the same generation because "reasons".

Sandfox

X is where my trainer is, X is where all my competitive Pokemon were born and raised. If there was a way I could buy AS and send all the mega stones back I would do it in a heartbeat. I can't consolidate all my stuff into one place, for no other reason than Gamefreak didn't feel like it, and it's shitty.

They had a chance to finally make their generations more of a holistic ecosystem with Pokemon Bank and ORAS but they've just splintered them even harder. I mean at the moment their entire franchise marketing revolves around Kalos. Why the fuck is Hoenn the most important place again.
Why would GF want you to stick with X?
Because they use the same engine and the new one is coming out barely a year after the original?
Same engine doesn't mean we should expect updates after a new game in the series is released.

In this case with the creation of the Poke Bank and this taking place in the same generation, I thought this time, we would be able to send them back and forward for once.

I was mistaken though. Then again the Poke Bank doesn't allow you to have held items.

Dunno if I feel like getting all the Mega Stones, including the new ones in ORAS, again.

Lebon14

Not like I was going to use the Megas anyway. I'm not a competitive player. I'll just have them for collection on that version, that's it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I know you couldn't use Rotom forms/Skymin/Giratina-O going from Platinum to DP and I *think* the Pichu variants from HG/SS to the other two gen IV games.

Just for my own edification - could you use the Black/White Kyruem on BW2 if the other player had BW1?

If I recall correctly I think you can but the the Player playing Black/White would just see Kyruem but it would have the stats boost from being either White or Black Kryuem.

X

Because Kalos ducking sucks, Hoenn is where it's at now.

Griss

Ah, I get it now. I think about the trading features as being able to send old monsters forward to the new game whenever one comes out. But it seems like some other people think that it should equally be about sending new monsters back. That second type of person is upset at this news.

But I really don't think that sending new monsters backwards to older games was ever part of the promise of pokemon, and financially, GF has every reason to push the players onto the new game, which in my opinion is perfectly fair.

The other issues people have raised in this thread regarding skin colour and the engine they're using are both perfectly correct, though. GF needs to get it together on those points.

lupinko

I'm just annoyed at lack of customization, I just keep the older games around for breeding and farming anyway.

Stuck with default May again. :/

Top Bottom