• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO launches today in 26 more countries (RIP servers)

One wonders if Canada just shares the same US servers and they're trying to get that sorted out before launching. I'm assuming that all these European countries had their own dedicated servers before the US ones melted.

trew a incense like 50 times and the thing doesnt show up

did the servers crash or something

Have you tried turning it off and on again.

Neiteio

Maybe Niantic is holding it ransom in Canada. Maybe Trudeau hasn't acquiesced to their demands for free poutine.

Mik2121

The way they're releasing this stuff around is quite... interesting.

Japan here, potentially waiting until the end of the month according to Niantic's CEO.

seems fucked,stuck on loading screen now

Look, we can't really go step by step on this so listen up.

Servers are going fuckin mental right now, don't expect anything to go smoothly. if it's stuck on a screen, keep turning it off and on until it gets it right.

Still no France when it's the major Nintendo market in the EU, just WTF is this...

Possibly an exception because of the recent terror attacks. You wouldn't want French Citizens going outside in droves when it just happened.

GeeTeeCee

I can't figure out why the app would need permission to access contacts on Android. The other permissions make sense (location, media and storage) but not this one. It's definitely the offical app too; I didn't download it until the actual UK launch on the Play store rather than sideload it earlier.

The first quarter release is on the 27th. Realistically it won't do too much for direct revenue in its infancy, but stockholders already know about the MUCH MORE SUBSTANTIAL market value increase.

Fair enough. Still, with a report that soon we might gain some additional insight on the app's performance as well, since one imagines Nintendo'll want to trumpet the reasons for its success and what they plan to do with it for future.

Neiteio

I can't figure out why the app would need permission to access contacts on Android. The other permissions make sense (location, media and storage) but not this one. It's definitely the offical app too; I didn't download it until the actual UK launch on the Play store rather than sideload it earlier.
Yeah, I denied them access to my contacts

it would be kinda funny if this game was not as popular in Japan

it is free so hard to call it a flop or bomb but imagine if Japan just did not like it for some weird twist

Neiteio

Canadians play videogames? How do you guys get electricity in the treetop villages where you worship your eldritch beaver gods?

it is free so hard to call it a flop or bomb but imagine if Japan just did not like it for some weird twist

Japan had a taste for a few hours until Niantic shut the maps off since it wasn't officially a release yet.

Now they demand more. MORE.

Fox Mulder

It's nice for people in those countries, but the servers are already fucked. It's not ready.

Theyve broken the location radar and have turned off map location for your captured pokemon. I still pray a captured pokemon doesn't lock the game up on me and force a restart.

Neiteio

They'll reskin it as Splatoon GO, where you catch Callie and Marie

Well, the filthy degenerates would catch Callie, and the smart beautiful people surrounded by majesty sparkles would catch Marie

Roi

itshappeningreggie!!.gif

Blues1990

Canadians play videogames? How do you guys get electricity in the treetop villages where you worship your eldritch beaver gods?
Okay, first of all, the treetop thing is for those who live in heavily dense jungles. We Canadian's live in cabins and/or igloos, depending the season.

Secondly, Canadian Geese and Puffin's are what I worship, as those are sacred animals in this great land of ours. Seriously, you don't want to fuck with a Canadian Geese, as those things attack without warning and can cause a lot of hurt.

Kyari

Still no France when it's the major Nintendo market in the EU, just WTF is this...

I imagine it has something to do with France suing Google Maps for being free/unfair competition. There's a weird legal dispute there that Niantic probably want to avoid.

Kud Dukan

Surprised they haven't bothered to release it in Canada right now, because almost everyone I know has been playing it here anyways.

Neiteio

Okay, first of all, the treetop thing is for those who live in heavily dense jungles. We Canadian's live in cabins and/or igloos, depending the season.

Secondly, Canadian Geese and Puffin's are what I worship, as those are sacred animals in this great land of ours. Seriously, you don't want to fuck with a Canadian Geese, as those things attack without warning and can cause a lot of hurt.
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend your culture

*offers a hockey stick slathered in gravy and cheese curds as an apology*

kaskade

Maybe. From my experience it sometimes gives you the Pokemon and sometimes not.

Yeah, it's hit or miss. When I catch Pidgeys and Weedles it works, that Dragonite the other day, nope. I figured I'm going to give it a couple days and see if the servers smooth out.

Neiteio

As a Michigander, it feels -really- weird that Canada doesn't have GO. Because we have GO, and to us, Canada is basically an Upper Upper Peninsula.

(Actually, where I live, Canada is closer than Michigan's Upper Peninsula!)

Neiteio

Eww, another person who has clearly failed at staying fresh and decided to stay free instead.
Also yes to Splatoon GO. Just ink everything in the name of Callie, the true hero.
Oh, us Marie fans are fresh alright. We're fresh, but you Callie fans can't smell it over your own stink.

*the crowd from the rap battle scene in Eight Mile appears and goes "Ooooooohhh!"*

With these server issues, they really need to send players some items. I was able to use around 3 of the 30min of my lure module this morning, and for the second time my game crashed in the middle of a rare Pokemon encounter. There goes 30 pokeballs... Can't login at all now.

Top Bottom