• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO launches today in 26 more countries (RIP servers)

Magwik

Banned
As a Michigander, it feels -really- weird that Canada doesn't have GO. Because we have GO, and to us, Canada is basically an Upper Upper Peninsula.

(Actually, where I live, Canada is closer than Michigan's Upper Peninsula!)
Canada is about a half hour away from the metro Detroit area for me. It is really weird it hasn't been rolled out there yet, could be an issue with French/Qubec?

Galang

Banned
Fucking lame that there's no Canada yet!! I know there are ways around it, but I'm waiting for the real release since I plan to spend money.

L Thammy

2l88eoz5yjov.jpg

m8on5kdv8jze.png

0 countries in south america... makes me sad :(

Zero is also the number of countries that can play this game right now.

About south america, try to put a successful franchise in a country with a population of 210 million people and a 1:1 smartphone ratio and watch the servers burn to the ground.

As a Michigander, it feels -really- weird that Canada doesn't have GO. Because we have GO, and to us, Canada is basically an Upper Upper Peninsula.

(Actually, where I live, Canada is closer than Michigan's Upper Peninsula!)

Michigan here
Livonia resident, but I drive all over the lower peninsula for work
, currently enjoying my eggs not progressing at all. At least the game loads.

I remember being a kid and telling my friends about my family's cottage kind of near Windsor off lake Eerie, which was further south than we lived. Everyone just assumed it was above the UP and were perpetually confused.

Some adults I talk to today assume the same thing, somehow, despite having multiple bridges to Canada all along the eastern side of the state

Bulby333

Neo Member
I've been playing the game for about 4 days in Canada by downloading the US versions, but it's ridiculous how this game still isn't available in Canada. Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

L Thammy

I've been playing the game for about 4 days in Canada by downloading the US versions, but it's ridiculous how this game still isn't available in Canada. Makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

I finally decided to do that today, which I think is the best possible timing.

Canada aint on the list cuz americans are eating up all their server capacity and they haven't re-upped it. It's literally the ONLY possible reason.

But at the same time Canada has so few people that I can't imagine the impact being that big.

sfried

the app is not made by Nintendo
IP is from The Pokemon Company (Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures). Not directly Nintendo. Nintendo is a part owner of Niantic (along with others - such a Google). Nintendo are making money because they have different involvement in some many areas.

Apple are making 30% on all IAP sold on iOS. They could probably be making more direct money from this that Nintendo are.

The game is obviously helping the Nintendo brand regain traction in the long run though -- which could be more helpful than anything else.
Iwata was part of the people behind the concept though.

His direct involvement is the reason this could still be considered 100% Nintendo. (See the initial Pokemon GO announcement where Miyamoto goes up on stage. Even he claimed this was also the brainchild of the late president.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
WTF @ no Canada

I guess the feeling of being the only person in Toronto not playing it will continue for another few weeks. :/

Iwata was part of the people behind the concept though.

His direct involvement is the reason this could still be considered 100% Nintendo. (See the initial Pokemon GO announcement where Miyamoto goes up on stage. Even he claimed this was also the brainchild of the late president.)
He was part of Niantic when Niantic pitched it to Nintendo? And then approved his own concept?

Kitoro

Nintendo owns the Pokemon brand and has a majority stake in TPC. We've already gone over countless times how they are making bank on this.

Then why is Nintendo acting like this doesn't exist? Last week when I checked, Nintendo.com didn't have even the smallest nod to this game's existence.

Lutherian

I demand the pope to 1up islamic authorities and call for a ban in all of christian countries just added. You know, since clogging my server and making me waste incense is against gods design or fuckity fuck knows what.

Da fuck dude ?

Some of my muslim friends are playing PK GO.

sakipon

Then why is Nintendo acting like this doesn't exist? Last week when I checked, Nintendo.com didn't have even the smallest nod to this game's existence.

Servers are already going down, do they really need to promote the game on their sites at this point?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You need to read this.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95801/how-much-money-is-nintendo-going-to-make-off-of-pokemon-go

The numbers isn't even considering Nintendo as co-owner of Niantic.

AND things start to become really interesting for Nintendo if we add property values and market potential to the equation.

I only skimmed that, but is that speculative article assuming that Niantic gets none of the revenue? Also, the three companies mentioned didn't invest in "Pokémon GO," technically, they invested in Niantic. The revenue split for the game itself is bound to be a different agreement.

Has to be the dumbest thing ever to launch in 26 more countries on a Saturday(busiest day of the week for people wanting to play). That's just a horrible idea when your servers couldn't hold up before.

Top Bottom