• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

Ookami-kun said:
From serebii.net:

* First, it confirms that the Apricorns come back. However, this time, you have the ability to grow them yourself portabley, using the SquirtBottle to grow them and they're stored in an item called the Apricorn Case. This means the following balls have returned, for reference here are their use:
o Fast Ball: Captures Pokémon that Flee
o Friend Ball: Increases Happiness of Captured Pokémon
o Heavy Ball: Captures Heavier Pokémon more successfully
o Level Ball: Captures Pokémon of lower levels easier
o Love Ball: Captures opposite gendered Pokémon easier
o Lure Ball: Captures Pokémon caught with the Fishing Rod easier
o Moon Ball: Captures Pokémon that evolve with the Moon Stone easier
* Next, it reiterates Kanto's return in Heart Gold & Soul Silver and also shows there is a new Battle Frontier style facility to the west of Olivine City. Further details about this Battle Frontier have not been revealed
* It also confirms the National Park's Bug Catching Contest making a return. This contest features you having to capture the best Bug Pokémon you can.
* It also shows that Rayquaza is catchable later in the game at Level 50. Further details were not revealed but as revealed in June, it will require Kyogre & Groudon for it to appear
* It also shows that you have the Mystery Egg subquest from Gold & Silver. It is unknown if the Egg you receive will still be Togepi
* Finally, it confirms that the new area west of Cianwood City is a Safari Zone.

More from serebii:

* Kyogre & Groudon both dwell in a cave like Rayquaza and like Rayquaza, they are to be found at Level 50
* Apricorns have another use. As well as making the new PokéBalls, you can convert them into juice in order to boost your Pokémon's Pokéthlon stats
* Three new Pokéthlon events have been revealed;
o Break Block which has your Pokémon breaking blocks using their hand. This is controlled with the Touch Screen
o Change Relay, another race controlled on the Touch Screen. However, unlike Dash Hurdle, you only control one Pokémon at a time
o Push Circle is another match similar to RingOut Fight. However, you control all your Pokémon at once

After the remakes game freak need to make a pokemon 3d game for wii,now that the team is bigger than genius sonority theres no more excuses

Blackbird| said:
After the remakes game freak need to make a pokemon 3d game for wii,now that the team is bigger than genius sonority theres no more excuses

I've always dreamed of a 3D ARPG Pokemon game with Z-targeting to throw Pokeballs. Too bad Nintendo don't want my money.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
mewtwoooo.png

Mewtwo confirmed?

Ondore

Has to be, since that picture is of Pokemon that are now legal for 2010 World Championship play.

Also, Pokebeach is reporting that the scans say there's a Safari Zone in Cianwood and it's CUSTOMIZABLE.

The first scan reveals that in regards to the Safari Zone, you can customize its layout and send it to your friends to use, similar to how you can create your own levels in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. From available Pokemon you can change where they will appear; not many details are known about how this will work, however. In the Safari Zone’s entrance, you can use a computer called “Custom Area” to switch around and customize the area’s appearance.

My frothing demand for this game increases (IGN.com).

Captain N

DarthButcher said:
Serebii is reporting on the customizable Safari Zone, but that's a hell of a lot more detail than Serebii. Sounds like an awesome idea.

what?

Do we know if Wii Will Rock You was right about the different looks for each Pokemon?

Is anyone going to be importing this next month? Im feeling desperate to do so but have never played a japanese pokemon game before, hoping that there will be some kindof translation guide online.

Captain N said:
what?

Do we know if Wii Will Rock You was right about the different looks for each Pokemon?

Serebii reported on the fact that Coro Coro had details about the customizable Safari Zone, but the Pokebeach link above has more details than Serebii does. I chose my words badly in my previous post.

zumphry

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Too bad Nintendo will never do it.

It's too good of an idea.

I'd rather have just have Kanto through whatever region is in the fifth or sixth(or so) generation, on the then current handheld. :/

The whole customizable Safari Zone is cool, but does that mean the one in Kanto is still closed? :lol

Ookami-kun said:
Depending on your version of the game, you either get Kyogre or Groudon. If you have both, you will be able to get Rayquaza.

That's cool and all, but it seems like I'm the only one(I probably am) that liked Generation III, and would like Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remade. This kinda kills that dream.

Captain N

kyo_daikun said:
Is anyone going to be importing this next month? Im feeling desperate to do so but have never played a japanese pokemon game before, hoping that there will be some kindof translation guide online.

It shouldn't be too hard playing through the game as you can use a gold / silver guide for the most part. Some of the minor little details will be picked up rather quickly on the normal Pokemon sites

upandaway

kyo_daikun said:
Most of the Pokemon games I played, I did without knowing a single drop in English. Those include Red, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, FireRed and Emerald.

You'll do fine. I think there's fun to remembering the strange shapes associated with different attacks, and stuff like that. Besides, the dialogue isn't exactly spectacular and plenty of stuff have icons attached to them in the DS games far more than the older ones. I say go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest playing a Pokemon game in an unknown language unless you can deal without knowing what each attack is right off the bat, and also if you know enough about Pokemon to not have to read up on what an attack does or whatever.

...like... well, I'm a casual Pokemon player, who plays it mainly for the single player. As much as I'd like to import this game, I don't think it is a good idea.

From the looks of it, this will be the biggest Pokemon game yet. With all the Johto and Kanto cities and towns, some of them bigger than before, and the extra areas all over Johto and maybe Kanto, and extra story elements, things like the customizable Safari Zone, and better menus, and also the nostalgia factor... Can Game Freak top this in the future?

fernoca

I just wanna see the new sprites for Brock an Misty. :p
In the original versions, they both were changed from their original looks (Brock was wearing a shirt and jeans, Misty was on a swimsuit and with longer hair)..so I wonder if they are going to just remake those, or give them a newer look.

gwiz210

Day 1 over here. This is the ultimate fan service game to anyone who was part of the pokemon madness from the late 90s.

Christopher

gwiz210 said:
Day 1 over here. This is the ultimate fan service game to anyone who was part of the pokemon madness from the late 90s.

I dunno it looks like they keep putting those god awful pokemon post g/s in the game, hopefully you would have to do something to allow them to be in the game and not just shoved in there. So Indigo is in the game...interesting I havent actually played a pokemon game since g/s

upandaway

Why would you do that? said:
Personally, I wouldn't suggest playing a Pokemon game in an unknown language unless you can deal without knowing what each attack is right off the bat, and also if you know enough about Pokemon to not have to read up on what an attack does or whatever.

...like... well, I'm a casual Pokemon player, who plays it mainly for the single player. As much as I'd like to import this game, I don't think it is a good idea.
For attacks? It's just some little experimenting. It's just like learning a new attack you never saw before and testing it out in the wild to see what's gonna happen. People had no choice but to play the original this way regardless of language. There weren't any descriptions in it, and the animations were minimal.
I guess maybe a tiny bit of knowledge wouldn't hurt. But I don't think it's THAT necessary to know which Pokemon learn what and when, or what their natures are or what everything has account in. Especially not in the main quest.

Another choice is not skipping any battles, which should by itself get you to a level high enough to just run through the game battle-wise.

From the looks of it, this will be the biggest Pokemon game yet. With all the Johto and Kanto cities and towns, some of them bigger than before, and the extra areas all over Johto and maybe Kanto, and extra story elements, things like the customizable Safari Zone, and better menus, and also the nostalgia factor... Can Game Freak top this in the future?
Game Freak are honestly really lazy. Pokemon has such unlimited potential in any genre it wants, and it stays relatively the same. At the very least, they get an instant better game simply by copying mechanics from Animal Crossing.

Shadowlink said:
We also know the Heart Gold will be the best version. :p
It's not nice just telling someone in the face that you hate them, like that. I hate you too.

fernoca said:
Hehe..I remember those days..
Silver >>> Gold anyway. ;)
So...
Soul Silver >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heart Gold. :p
What a shit load of fuck, the sprites ion the silver version looked shitty compare to the Gold version.

upandaway

flintstryker said:
What a shit load of fuck, the sprites ion the silver version looked shitty compare to the Gold version.
Madness.

Both versions have equally shitty sprites for the coolest Pokemon.
Did you see Heracross? Holy shit.

Edit: Glorious day! I have found an exception. Hail me.
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex/018.shtml
Only for Silver though. That's like the single best sprite for him ever, actually.

-Yeti said:
Yeah, they could make a full 3D version of a Pokemon game for the Wii.
3D doesn't always make a good game. There are legions of people that think that games like A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros. 3 were never topped by their sequels.

upandaway said:
Game Freak are honestly really lazy. Pokemon has such unlimited potential in any genre it wants, and it stays relatively the same. At the very least, they get an instant better game simply by copying mechanics from Animal Crossing.

I guess you're right. I don't understand how a team like Game Freak can only put out Pokemon games, and not even all that often, and not really improve them so much. I feel like that they're trying to change that with HG/SS, though.

(Also, I can't think of any aspect of Animal Crossing that would make Pokemon better...)

In the end, I really hope for a non-Pokemon Game Freak game after Pokemon HG/SS. Drill Dozer, while not better than Pokemon to me, is something I really did like, for many reasons, mostly the music.

Why would you do that? said:
3D doesn't always make a good game. There are legions of people that think that games like A Link to the Past and Super Mario Bros. 3 were never topped by their sequels.

I guess you're right. I don't understand how a team like Game Freak can only put out Pokemon games, and not even all that often, and not really improve them so much. I feel like that they're trying to change that with HG/SS, though.

(Also, I can't think of any aspect of Animal Crossing that would make Pokemon better...)

In the end, I really hope for a non-Pokemon Game Freak game after Pokemon HG/SS. Drill Dozer, while not better than Pokemon to me, is something I really did like, for many reasons, mostly the music.

There's already a other game in development at the same as pokemon hg/hs

I'll definitely be buying this, but the next generation better have something really different to have me going back.

PS. For the love of god, no more HMs. I hate em!

beje

Banned
Where are you getting it? play-asia is outrageously expensive as always when it comes to big releases and yesasia, though cheaper and quicker, is out of stock (which means they already have enough preorders to cover their whole first shipment).

:\

T'Zariah

Banned
This looks like the end all be all Pokemon game. I mean seriously, they are putting every legendary in the game, plus pokemon following you, contests...etc. The lists goes on forever.

Best DS game ever confirmed.

Besides Scriblenauts

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A Link to the Snitch said:
I'll buy this, but I better see action RPG in my gen. 5.

Pokemon's metagame (Smogon) is a great tactics affair, but yeah.. an action RPG next generation, overhauling the entire system would be great. Imagine Beedrill actually being fast and useful!
Yeah.. right..
:D

Sonos

Banned
I have the legend birds coming out of my ears from all the recent years. I'd rather have the cats from firered easier to catch.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Sonos said:
I have the legend birds coming out of my ears from all the recent years. I'd rather have the cats from firered easier to catch.

Indeed, although if they wanted to give them unique moves.. or.. their XD moves again. I'd be all for that. My Heal Bell Articuno is Modest with decent IVs, but I'd like the chance to do it one better this time. Even casing a roamer is better than that XD hell. :lol

zumphry

Banned
DarthButcher said:
Quoted for truthiness.

I never have had anything other than the first version for every generation, but I still don't understand the rivalry between them. I had Red, Gold, Ruby, and now Diamond(with Yellow, no Crystal since I lost my Gold cart before I could finish it :(, Emerald, and soon because I got Diamond at Christmas, Platinum).

Though, I'm considering getting both HeartGold and SoulSilver, just so I can get all of the starters fairly early. :lol

Sonos

Banned
EvilMario said:
Indeed, although if they wanted to give them unique moves.. or.. their XD moves again. I'd be all for that. My Heal Bell Articuno is Modest with decent IVs, but I'd like the chance to do it one better this time. Even casing a roamer is better than that XD hell. :lol

I havent gotten one yet because I'd rather level up the losers, ev train, breed, ANYTHING rather than have a legendary random encounter. It sucks.

Sonos

Banned
Having played neither but for sure getting one of the two what are the pros and cons of both? I assumed it was just which Legend you like better like most of the rest. Any other pokes I just trade for later.

Sorry if this was posted earlier.

I think Junior Members are awesome.

EvilMario said:
Pokemon's metagame (Smogon) is a great tactics affair, but yeah.. an action RPG next generation, overhauling the entire system would be great. Imagine Beedrill actually being fast and useful!
Yeah.. right..
:D

Imagine String Shot and SmokeScreen being useful in battles :D

ZayneH said:
I never have had anything other than the first version for every generation, but I still don't understand the rivalry between them. I had Red, Gold, Ruby, and now Diamond(with Yellow, no Crystal since I lost my Gold cart before I could finish it :(, Emerald, and soon because I got Diamond at Christmas, Platinum).

Though, I'm considering getting both HeartGold and SoulSilver, just so I can get all of the starters fairly early. :lol

Personally, I don't hate on any version of any of the games. I originally got Blue, then Red, then Yellow. 2nd Gen I got Silver first, then Gold, then Crystal. Every gen I eventually get all of them, so I don't hate on any version, but there is the view that there is the "Main" title (Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond), and I have always gotten the "Non-Main" title first(aside from Diamond, bought both on day 1).

Personally, though, I do prefer Lugia over Ho-oH.

Top Bottom