• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

zumphry

Banned
DarthButcher said:
Personally, though, I do prefer Lugia over Ho-oH.

Same, though for some reason I still have gotten the "first" version over the other one. :lol

At least you can catch Lugia in HeartGold, thankfully.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ZayneH said:
Same, though for some reason I still have gotten the "first" version over the other one. :lol

At least you can catch Lugia in HeartGold, thankfully.

I always thought Ho-Oh was the much cooler looking Pokemon. And of course, Sacred Fire is a billion times better than Aero Blast. A shame it hits basically nothing aside from OUs in Uber (and Shaymin!) for Super Effective damage. Under the sun though, Ho-Oh is pretty nasty. Lugia has a much more defined spot in the metagame though.

Maybe if they just give Ho-Oh Sword Dance, and Lugia Nasty Plot now... ;)

zumphry

Banned
EvilMario said:
I always thought Ho-Oh was the much cooler looking Pokemon. And of course, Sacred Fire is a billion times better than Aero Blast. A shame it hits basically nothing aside from OUs in Uber (and Shaymin!) for Super Effective damage. Under the sun though, Ho-Oh is pretty nasty. Lugia has a much more defined spot in the metagame though.

Maybe if they just give Ho-Oh Sword Dance, and Lugia Nasty Plot now... ;)

I like Lugia mostly because he/she looks more streamlined than Ho-Oh, but that doesn't mean Ho-Oh doesn't look cool.

Though, I have always had blue as my favorite color, so that might be a bit of a bias. :lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
ZayneH said:
I like Lugia mostly because he/she looks more streamlined than Ho-Oh, but that doesn't mean Ho-Oh doesn't look cool.

Though, I have always had blue as my favorite color, so that might be a bit of a bias. :lol

Nothing to do with color on my part; I've always favored Kyogre over Groudon. And of course, Rayquaza over them all. :lol

I don't really care for Lugia or Ho-oh as Pokemon (when I first played Pokemon, I used my Master Ball on a Seaking, and had no concept of legendaries) but I think the intro for Soul Silver looks better.

However, I'll probably get Heart Gold because I had Gold on the GBC.

MotherFan

Shadowlink said:
Can this be one of the biggest Pokemon games ever? I mean it has everything. Day 0 for me :D

Perhaps. I have not played a pokemon game since blue/red but I am getting this game day 1. Really hyped.

Heart Gold for me!

zumphry

Banned
EvilMario said:
Nothing to do with color on my part; I've always favored Kyogre over Groudon. And of course, Rayquaza over them all. :lol

Yeah, Rayquaza was pretty cool, though I did like the way all of the Generation III legendaries had those runes on them. I miss Gen III, though. :(

Why would you do that? said:
I don't really care for Lugia or Ho-oh as Pokemon (when I first played Pokemon, I used my Master Ball on a Seaking, and had no concept of legendaries)

Why would you do that?
(Today, 12:10 AM)

:p

I think Gen II remains pretty fresh in my mind(and one of my favorites, but I like them all), simply due to guessing what would be in it. :lol

Sonos

Banned
DarthButcher said:
Doubt it. They didn't in FireRed/LeafGreen

true, but there has been some time between carts and the sd cards. either or i'm still getting it. i just wouldnt mind a few more even if they were the junky ones like the Beaver. I just like checking them out.

Sonos said:
I hope they add brand new pokes. I believe they will.
If they were going to do it, they'd have shown up in the ripped data from DPPt but been non-obtainable ingame. Sure, they could update DPPt cards the first time they connect to WiFi (or a copy of HGSS or updated DPPt) after release, but the risk of something going wrong is quite high.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm more concerned whether or not the elite four/gyms would have a rematch/improved difficulty for this game. One of the weaknesses in GSC was difficulty, after all.

Blu_LED said:
He is technically in Ruby/Sapphire, but is not accessible through regular means. He was in no way a "new" Pokemon in FireRed/LeafGreen.

What about the egg Arceus makes with those Unknown in one of the trailers(still cant get over the fact that it was basically a magical orgy:lol )?

zumphry

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
I'm more concerned whether or not the elite four/gyms would have a rematch/improved difficulty for this game. One of the weaknesses in GSC was difficulty, after all.

I hope so, one thing I did like in Emerald(and Platinum, I think? Don't have it yet..) was being able to defeat the Gyms again. Too bad they never got to levels around 100. That'd be a fun gym challenge to try to beat. :lol

upandaway

Sonos said:
true, but there has been some time between carts and the sd cards. either or i'm still getting it. i just wouldnt mind a few more even if they were the junky ones like the Beaver. I just like checking them out.
Well, you just proved yourself wrong right here.
You stated just now that regardless of whether new Pokemon will be in it or not, you will buy the game, as will I, and 20 million other people.
There doesn't exist any force of reason to say GameFreak will add any new Pokemon. If there's anything that they're doing right, it's the Pokemon design (not by my personal tastes, rather overall popularity), and they said they spend maybe a year to make one Pokemon.

I don't wanna be a pooper or anything, but it's better you don't get any hopes up.

Why would you do that? said:
(Also, I can't think of any aspect of Animal Crossing that would make Pokemon better...)
Animal Crossing and Pokemon can go really well together in my opinion. Hell, Animal Crossing can go well with everything.
Pokemon especially because they're both built about coming back every day (if we exclude 3rd gen, and we should, regardless of context). What's better than planting some berry trees in an area, then coming in a week later to see a bunch of Pokemon gathering around? What about traveling around town and noticing a random kid who just got a Pokemon and wants to trade it? Different seasons can have plenty of things to influence. With the radio, you can listen to a different song every day and change things like catch rate (like in the original GSC), and in addition things like the level of Pokemon in the wild or the growth rate of trees.
The items and accessories are too obvious, as well. Different clothing for you or your Pokemon (along with customizable trainers), different items for your base/room (which should be mixed together next time, honestly), all depending on the factors I said above like time of year and so on.
And this isn't really in Animal Crossing, but it would fit with the theme too: Pokemon Snap, freeroaming, and it's about hiding and luring in wild Pokemon to take pictures of them. If Contests are viable, I don't see why this isn't.

I could really go forever. And it's not just Animal Crossing. There's also Zelda.
I used to think that it wasn't worth it because naturally I already have Animal Crossing and Zelda, but the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that Pokemon can take from them and still be really really unique when it focuses on what made it big in the first place.
Money or ability is never an issue, either. They already have all of the framework they need to just focus on expanding the games with completely different things. No need for new Pokemon and no need for badges or epic stories and events.

Huge rant, but it should hold me off for another year or so.

Sonos

Banned
upandaway said:
Well, you just proved yourself wrong right here.
You stated just now that regardless of whether new Pokemon will be in it or not, you will buy the game, as will I, and 20 million other people.
There doesn't exist any force of reason to say GameFreak will add any new Pokemon. If there's anything that they're doing right, it's the Pokemon design (not by my personal tastes, rather overall popularity), and they said they spend maybe a year to make one Pokemon.

proved myself wrong? what are you doing trying to catch me in an internet gaffe? i said i hope they add new pokes. i said i'm getting it anyway. thats it.

a year to make 1 pokemon. el fucking oh el. maybe a year to make all the pokemons for any new game they make.

OMG Aero

Sonos said:
Having played neither but for sure getting one of the two what are the pros and cons of both? I assumed it was just which Legend you like better like most of the rest. Any other pokes I just trade for later.
There isn't any difference between the versions now that online trading exists. People just like to say the version they have is best.
Kind of like console fanboys.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
If they were going to do it, they'd have shown up in the ripped data from DPPt but been non-obtainable ingame. Sure, they could update DPPt cards the first time they connect to WiFi (or a copy of HGSS or updated DPPt) after release, but the risk of something going wrong is quite high.
They can't update DS games like that otherwise the new forms introduced in Platinum woul be compatible with Diamond and Pearl.
And if they were going to add new Pokemon, there would be a new scan about it by now, even if just had silhouettes on it.

Sonos

Banned
OMG Aero said:
There isn't any difference between the versions now that online trading exists. People just like to say the version they have is best.
Kind of like console fanboys.

gotcha. I want Ho-oh because I like the way he looks and dont have him so I'll get that I guess. You think this next round will have the 3rd better version or not?

The LeafGreen-FireRed remakes never did...did they?

upandaway

Sonos said:
proved myself wrong? what are you doing trying to catch me in an internet gaffe? i said i hope they add new pokes. i said i'm getting it anyway. thats it.

a year to make 1 pokemon. el fucking oh el. maybe a year to make all the pokemons for any new game they make.
I guess I worded it bad. I didn't mean to go against you. I was talking about when you said, "I believe they will." And that's it.
I'm just saying, I really doubt it will happen.

OMG Aero

Sonos said:
You think this next round will have the 3rd better version or not?

The LeafGreen-FireRed remakes never did...did they?
They didn't remake Yellow for Firered and Leafgreen, but knowing how much money it would make them I couldn't say for sure that there will never be a Crystal remake.
Although it is highly likely that there won't be a Crystal remake since Eusine (Who was a character only in Crystal) is in HG and SS.

Sonos

Banned
OMG Aero said:
They didn't remake Yellow for Firered and Leafgreen, but knowing how much money it would make them I couldn't say for sure that there will never be a Crystal remake.
Although it is highly likely that there won't be a Crystal remake since Eusine (Who was a character only in Crystal) is in HG and SS.

The reason I ask is because after buying both Pearl and Platinum I'll wait on the next series of games for the "improved" versions. If I need a fix its just as easy to play around with what I have, wait the year or two for the mashup and then start playing fresh.

anyway, cheers for the info I never played the originals. I started with Pearl, then went and got FireRed (my least liked of what I've played), Emerald and then Platinum.

New info from serebii:
Customisation

This new Safari Zone allows you to customise the areas. The customisation allows you to move where all six of the areas of the Safari Zone are. This is useful so you don't have to walk and waste a load of steps should you wish to find a Pokémon that is only in the Desert area. All you do is slide the areas around using the touch screen. All the areas have exits at the same place so there are no combination that you cannot do. There are 720 permutations so you can be unique and creative

OMG Aero said:
They didn't remake Yellow for Firered and Leafgreen

Not to be a smartass but don't you mean Blue?

In Japan Red and Green came out together and Blue came out later as a 'special' updated edition.

Sorry, I just have a horrible grudge against Yellow. The anime did wonders for the franchises popularity but really does nothing but damage to the canon games. I mean Pokemon saying their own names? Fucking stupidest shit ever. The animal cries from Stadium should have remained their canon cries as intended. Okay.. I'm done ranting...

upandaway

SuperAngelo64 said:
Sorry, I just have a horrible grudge against Yellow. The anime did wonders for the franchises popularity but really does nothing but damage to the canon games. I mean Pokemon saying their own names? Fucking stupidest shit ever. The animal cries from Stadium should have remained their canon cries as intended. Okay.. I'm done ranting...
I don't know about saying their names, but the Pokemon could really use better cries right now.

WARP10CK

Banned
Looks nice but is there really much changed from other Pokemon games ?? I personally liked it when it was just a 150 Pokemon but now its just insanely many of them.

WARP10CK said:
Looks nice but is there really much changed from other Pokemon games ?? I personally liked it when it was just a 150 Pokemon but now its just insanely many of them.
I have never heard any of these thoughts before

Please tell me more, Automatic Pokemon Posting Script.

Gravijah

WARP10CK said:

There never were just 150.

Sonos

Banned
WARP10CK said:

There can never be enough for me. Just enslave the ones you want and let the rest be free.

WARP10CK said:

There are too many different types of people of people on this planet.

I liked it better when there were fewer.

This is essentially what you're saying.

OMG Aero

SuperAngelo64 said:
Not to be a smartass but don't you mean Blue?

In Japan Red and Green came out together and Blue came out later as a 'special' updated edition.
Well, no. Yellow was still released in Japan as the special edition and if I recall correctly the only thing Blue had updated was different sprites so it was just like another version instead of the special edition that each gen gets.

Netto-kun

OMG Aero said:
Well, no. Yellow was still released in Japan as the special edition and if I recall correctly the only thing Blue had updated was different sprites so it was just like another version instead of the special edition that each gen gets.
Better sprites (which were used in the oversea version of Red/Blue), entirely different layout for the Cerulean Cave (we also got that one for Red/Blue), improved sound and redone/new dialogues.

NeonZ

OMG Aero said:

Blue had updated sprites, Pokemon distribution and a few other tweaks. The changes weren't as significant to the progression of the core game as the ones of other special editions, but it clearly was one.

Yottamole

Banned
Yeah, I'd say Blue is the special edition equivalent of Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. Yellow is just another, special special edition made to cash in on the success of the TV series.

Duardo said:
I will actually buy a DS for these games! Looks amazing!

Must be for Nostalgia then. If you like current pokemon you would have bought the DS for D/P/P. But I can understand why this would be a system seller for lovers of the original 200 something pokemon. I had lots of good memories with gold/silver on GBC. The morning/day/night feature had me waking up early to catch the morning pokemon and staying up late for the night pokemon. such a good time with friends.

Top Bottom