• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Gold / Silver for DS announced

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just wanted to say I caught a Hasty Palkia with the following IVs today;
31/25/19/29/31/29

What a sexy beast! I can't wait for all the legendaries in HGSS. Come forth my Synchronizing Pokemon, and begin the soft resetting!

EvilMario said:
I just wanted to say I caught a Hasty Palkia with the following IVs today;
31/25/19/29/31/29

What a sexy beast! I can't wait for all the legendaries in HGSS. Come forth my Synchronizing Pokemon, and begin the soft resetting!
Another 100+ hours for breeding my competetive team. Go Adamant Red Gyarados! :D

EzLink

Banned
I'm so very tempted to import but I know I shouldn't. I don't have the money plus I want my first experience to be one I can fully understand. So looking forward to the massive Serebii blowout though when it hits shelves in Japan. What day exactly is that again?

upandaway

EzLink said:
I'm so very tempted to import but I know I shouldn't. I don't have the money plus I want my first experience to be one I can fully understand. So looking forward to the massive Serebii blowout though when it hits shelves in Japan. What day exactly is that again?
12th of September, hits the streets.

It will probably be leaked on pirate sites before that like most famous DS games though, which means a ton of info coming a day or two before release.

KtSlime

I can't decide if I should import it, or wait for the American version. I don't want to wait, but I can't get the club points with the Japanese version.

lyre

EvilMario said:
Only 100? :D
I can do 100 hours of just soft resetting and in my sleep.

Bring it on!

Sonos said:
you can breed a shiny? ;>.>
You always could but it's very unlikely (like 1/x00,000), but it's far easier in the original Gold/Silver where breeding a shiney monster gives you significantly greater chances (like 1/64 or 1/128) chances of getting a shiney monster egg. This includes breeding with any shiney monster, including a shiney Ditto (which was easily acquired).

Sonos

Banned
lyre said:
I can do 100 hours of just soft resetting and in my sleep.

Bring it on!

You always could, but it's far easier in the original Gold/Silver where breeding a shiney monster gives you significantly greater chances (like 1/64) chances of getting a shiney monster egg. This includes breeding with any shiney monster, including a shiney Ditto (which was easily acquired).

I have a shiny Croagunk I wouldn't mind humping around. I love him and would like a better nature.

I didnt know the catch rate on a shiny Ditto were greater.

Ravidrath

Sonos said:
you can breed a shiny? ;>.>

There is the "Masuda Method," which was divined from Masuda's blog.

Basically, if you breed two Pokemon from different real-world regions (i.e. from a Japanese cart and an U.S. cart), the chance of the offspring being Shiny goes way up.

What's also nice about this is that you can customize the movesets more readily this way.

I've done it twice - I got a shiny Shroomish after 100 eggs, and a shiny Beldum after around 230 eggs.

You basically just clear out a cart and ride up and down Solaceon town while you watch TV. :p

I would be surprised, BTW, if they didn't fix the easiness of getting shinies in G/S in the remake, BTW, and normalize the Shiny ratios to be in line with D/P/Pt. It was purely a byproduct of how they determined shininess in those games (it was based on certain combinations of IVs), which has since been changed.

lyre

Sonos said:
I have a shiny Croagunk I wouldn't mind humping around. I love him and would like a better nature.

I didnt know the catch rate on a shiny Ditto were greater.
This is only for the original GAME BOY Pokemon Gold and Silver; this bug/exploit has since been removed, which means your shiney Croagunk's chance of breeding a shiney is the same as two regular monsters (which btw can still produce shiney eggs).

And getting a shiney ditto in Gold/Silver involved trading a red Gyarados to Red/Blue, having a Ditto mimic it, catch it then trading it back to Gold/Silver. When it's traded over, it'll be shiney.

Sonos

Banned
lyre said:
This is only for the original GAME BOY Pokemon Gold and Silver; this bug/exploit has since been removed, which means your shiney Croagunk's chance of breeding a shiney is the same as two regular monsters (which btw can still produce shiney eggs).

And getting a shiney ditto in Gold/Silver involved trading a red Gyarados to Red/Blue, having a Ditto mimic it, catch it then trading it back to Gold/Silver. When it's traded over, it'll be shiney.

ahhh thanks for the heads up. Too much work I'll just love on my wild Croagunk for what he is and hope I get another one day.

I got him on <15 hours on Platinum and it was the first Croagunk I saw on the game. I was really happy with the little dude. Plus he's actually a decent poke imo and funny when he looks back you after he gets tossed. :lol

upandaway

Are they on shortage of good announcers in Japan or something? All the trailers for HGSS (English and Japanese) have really bad announcers.

Edit:
For the Shiny talk...
The chance for catching one in the wild is 1 in 8192 (in all games), but more technically the chances are based on different IV combinations (in Gen 2) or based on the Trainer ID and personality stat (in Gens 2 and 4). That's why if you breed with a shiny from a shiny in Gen 2 you can get up to 1 in around 64 chance of getting another shiny, and why Pokemon from Gen 1 can be shinies when transferred.
The number might be easier to remember if you know it's 2^-13. The more you know.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but also the easiest way to get a Shiny in Gen 4 is the PokeRadar. The chance of getting a shiny peaks at the 40th Pokemon in the chain and stays like that. I think the chance is something insane like 0.5% or 1.5%, but I don't remember.

Neo Child

Banned
Remember to watch the video till the end to watch the player get on the magnet train to Kanto - it shows you battling a Clefairy in Mt Moon and heading into Pallet Town =O

Sonos

Banned
upandaway said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but also the easiest way to get a Shiny in Gen 4 is the PokeRadar. The chance of getting a shiny peaks at the 40th Pokemon in the chain and stays like that. I think the chance is something insane like 0.5% or 1.5%, but I don't remember.

Didnt know that either. Have you seen the animation sprite on a shiny for the pokeradar? I have not and was curious what it might look like if I did so I wont miss it.

edit: nevermind found it on youtube. neat-o thanks for the tips guys. :D

lyre said:
You always could but it's very unlikely (like 1/x00,000), but it's far easier in the original Gold/Silver where breeding a shiney monster gives you significantly greater chances (like 1/64 or 1/128) chances of getting a shiney monster egg. This includes breeding with any shiney monster, including a shiney Ditto (which was easily acquired).
There's also what we call the IRNG technique.

OMG Aero

upandaway said:
Yeah, I got a shiny Budew in Pearl through the Pokeradar.
It can be so infuriating though when you spend ages getting to the 40th Pokemon and then the game can just randomly decide to break the chain.

Ookami-kun said:
Ah, so it's similar to the US one.

I still wanna know if we're gonna get the full package or if the walker would be sold separately (for moar monies).
Pokemon is not new to coming with a cool accessory in the US. I would be REALLY surprised if we didn't get it packed in.

Sonos said:
good heavens I wish I would have never entered this thread. I had given up on pokes...now all this stuff ;_; I am back in!!!

me too! I just started up again a few days ago. The worst part about not playing pokemon for a year is all the mystery gifts you missed. I missed the shaymin give away and the mew give away AGAIN!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It's just Pokemon. I can quit whenever I want!

2z3w2g3.jpg

upandaway

perfectchaos007 said:
me too! I just started up again a few days ago. The worst part about not playing pokemon for a year is all the mystery gifts you missed. I missed the shaymin give away and the mew give away AGAIN!
Just saying, but you can get Mew if you have a Wii. The Pokemon Ranch will give you a Mew if you fill it with 998 Pokemon.

Sonos

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:

when the balls was little Shaymin and Mew.

Damn you GAF. Damn you ALL.

I did get the Rotom key and Darkrai the other day so I'm pretty happy with that. Darkrai is a kickin poke.

sidenote: I watched the vid on chaining pokeradar and never got higher than 18. Frustrating and not sure what I am doing. I hate Pokemon. I love Pokemon. I am way too old for this.

CRYINGFACE EMOTICONS

upandaway

Sonos said:
sidenote: I watched the vid on chaining pokeradar and never got higher than 18. Frustrating and not sure what I am doing. I hate Pokemon. I love Pokemon. I am way too old for this.
Chaining isn't easy and it has some really weird 'rules' that you will never know unless you experimented a lot or read it online.

I don't remember all they are, but one of them includes not going to patches that are in a straight line from you, and one of them is not going to patches that are in separate fields. You also can't have another wild battle in the middle, so Max Repel is needed.
I think you also can't walk into patches diagonal from you but I don't know. Maybe Serebii has a page about it.

It's surprisingly a really complicated thing, but it pays off if you want to get cheap, mass-produced Shinies. I think I got like 3 Shinies out of 10 tries the first time I made it.

The trick is that if you can't find a good patch (that follows the rules), you can just abandon it, walk 50 steps and try again. It won't break the chain.
The same is true for resetting the 40th chained patch. If you can't find a shiny patch on the 40th, don't go to 41 since the chance of breaking the chain gets higher, you can just abandon it and try again.

Edit: Huh, nice video. Does he explain the rules in that?

SuperAngelo64 said:
I caught a shiny Pikachu on LeafGreen about 2 weeks ago.

First shiny in my entire Pokemon career.
I think my first shiny was a shiny Geodude back in Silver. I got around 10 shinys in my games (Silver, Crystal, Sapphire) until infinite possibility the RNG technique in Emerald and then DPPt. :D

Xux

These videos are so great.

The Pokemon theme is more or less one of the better songs of all time.

Can't wait to here the remixes of the Kanto remixes.

Gravijah

Sonos said:
do-able in the garden.

welcome to hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkeKPlBYYbs

I liked this vid best.

I was going to ask if it were possible to use the radar to catch 'em in the garden, thanks. I haven't actually used the radar in forever so I guess it's time to re-learn it.

SuperAngelo64 said:

Trade you a shiny Weepinbell for it. :(

shykyoichi said:
I think my first shiny was a shiny Geodude back in Silver. I got around 10 shinys in my games (Silver, Crystal, Sapphire) until infinite possibility the RNG technique in Emerald and then DPPt. :D

Is the RNG technique worth it if you're really lazy but enjoy ultra repetitive tasks like riding a bike up and down for hours on end?

SuperAngelo64 said:

Shiny Maril was my first, shiny Beldum was my second. Though I don't have either anymore because I gave my games away. :(

Still got a mew on Colosseum though(through trade obviously)....

Gravijah said:
I was going to ask if it were possible to use the radar to catch 'em in the garden, thanks. I haven't actually used the radar in forever so I guess it's time to re-learn it.

Trade you a shiny Weepinbell for it. :(

Is the RNG technique worth it if you're really lazy but enjoy ultra repetitive tasks like riding a bike up and down for hours on end?
How could someone who enjoy repetitive task be lazy? :D I think it would be better for me to direct you to smogon's thread. They explain it best.

Sonos

Banned
upandaway said:
Edit: Huh, nice video. Does he explain the rules in that?

Most of the rules I think and some I didnt see on others (like not going to squares on the edge of the regular surface). Only bad part about the vid is the quality is a bit low for seeing the screen.

He or she (hard to tell) does a good job in explaining thing clearly though imo.

racerx77

Banned
wait wait, I saw something about a Mew giveaway, did I miss that? I know about the thing with Pokemon Ranch, man 998 Pokemon?

I am kinda surprised that other than the current online Darkrai giveaway, only TRU has had event Pokemon(Shaymin, Regigigas and the Rotom key). Seems like for Diamond and Pearl other stores were doing them(weren't Deoxys and Darkrai given out at Gamestop?)

racerx77 said:
wait wait, I saw something about a Mew giveaway, did I miss that? I know about the thing with Pokemon Ranch, man 998 Pokemon?

I am kinda surprised that other than the current online Darkrai giveaway, only TRU has had event Pokemon(Shaymin, Regigigas and the Rotom key). Seems like for Diamond and Pearl other stores were doing them(weren't Deoxys and Darkrai given out at Gamestop?)
Read this page in Serebii.

Nobody posted the new Pokemon Sunday footage? :(

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbd-cU8NgcM

The Safari Zone... I'm confused as to whether or not it is 6 possible chunks that you slide around the 6 positions, or if there are multiple possible chunks that you can put anywhere in the 6 slots.

Also, it'd be cool if, like, a specific chunk would have different Pokemon when placed in different slots.

Top Bottom