• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun and Moon will be 3.2 GB, almost twice the size of XY

I am super pumped regardless of size. And yeah, like someone else mentioned, I upgraded my SD card well over a year ago. Despite me buying this physically... As is time honored tradition.

Playing Pokemon while traveling is again going to be super exciting.

OrionX

2 Regions Baby!!

We going back to Kalos boys!

I hope

IORnpQg.gif

Javier

For comparison, these are the largest 3DS games on the US eShop (all the ones above 10,000 blocks). Xenoblade Chronicles 3D remains the largest 3DS game, with Bravely Default being second place (and the largest game playable on a regular 3DS), which barely beats Sun & Moon:

Attack on Titan: Humanity in Chains - 12,259
Bravely Default - 26,498
Bravely Second: End Layer - 20,343
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate - 11,653
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - 17,668
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - 11,635

FIFA 14 – 12,454
Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - 12,469
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - 12,547
Fossil Fighters: Frontier - 10,733

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX - 17,825
Hyrule Warriors Legends - 16,141
Kid Icarus: Uprising - 12,906
Little Battlers eXperience - 14,464
Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven - 10,016

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - 24,652
Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 10,241
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 14,275
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 20,809
Monster Hunter Generations - 12,474

Nintendo 3DS Louvre Guide (English Version) – 12,228
Nintendo 3DS Louvre Guide (French Version) – 12,144
Nintendo 3DS Louvre Guide (Spanish Version) – 12,563
One Piece Unlimited World Red - 14,483

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 14,206
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - 14,499
Pokémon Omega Ruby - 14,497
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon - 14,106
Pokémon X – 13,801
Pokémon Y – 13,801
Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney - 11,221

Resident Evil Revelations – 25,795
Return to Popolocrois: A Story of Seasons - 12,102
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure – 12,105
Rodea the Sky Soldier - 11,656
Rune Factory 4 – 10,964

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 - 22,677
Senran Kagura Burst - 13,932
Senran Kagura 2: Deep Crimson - 17,338
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - 14,798
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker - 22,808
Shin Megami Tensei IV – 14,337
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse - 13,747
Sonic Boom: Fire And Ice - 13,268
Sonic Lost World – 10,003
Stella Glow - 11,711
Style Savvy: Trendsetters - 10,511
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - 13,492

The Amazing Spider-Man - 12,726
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 13,408
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D - 10,570
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits - 14,459
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls - 14,457
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - 28,834

Puruzi

Banned
Weird that people are getting hyped over this game because of its filesize.

Nobody's getting hyped only because of the filesize dude. People are already hyped, but the big filesize potentially means more content, which is something to be more hyped about

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Yes!
More file size means more Pokegoodness.
Maybe a second region? Give Kalos another chance to shine? Hmm...

I miss the innocent days when anything over 2 gigs was considered "large". 100 GB download make me want to commit sodoku... I hate my IP :(

Firebrand

So how does one safely transfer data from sd card to another? Never had to upgrade before.

If you have a SD card reader in your PC (laptops often have one hidden behind a plastic cover) you only have to drag and drop the files to a temporary folder then back onto the new card, shouldn't have to do any reformatting.

You don't have to "deactivate" your games or anything like that beforehand.

If you have a SD card reader in your PC (laptops often have one hidden behind a plastic cover) you only have to drag and drop the files to a temporary folder then back onto the new card, shouldn't have to do any reformatting.

You don't have to "deactivate" your games or anything like that beforehand.
Thanks! Thankfully since I'm going physical I won't need to upgrade right away. But will keep this in mind for the future.

.JayZii

Banned
It would be cool if they pulled a Gold/Silver and we went to a prior region in the postgame.

I'm not expecting there to be anything other than what we've come to expect from the past few games, but almost double the file size is certainly interesting.

So how can I make this work if I have a 4gb SD card that has Pokémon x and Pokémon bank with around 14500 blocks left. I want to be able to transfer my Pokémon over

Wow. Launch 3DS's only came with a 2 gig card, and current 3DS's have a 4 gig card. Crazy that this will exceed or stretch the pack-in storage.

It would be cool if they pulled a Gold/Silver and we went to a prior region in the postgame.

I'm not expecting there to be anything other than what we've come to expect from the past few games, but almost double the file size is certainly interesting.
For comparison:

Code:
Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 1024 kb
Pokemon Silver/Gold: 2048 kb
So double the size.

Code:
Pokemon XY: 13,801 blks
Pokemon SM: 26,214 blks
Which gives us ~1.9 times the size of the previous game.

Just to remind you, Pokemon GS added way more colours, over 100 pokemon, and an entirely new region ON TOP OF the old region.

This is going to be massive.

Javier

So how can I make this work if I have a 4gb SD card that has Pokémon x and Pokémon bank with around 14500 blocks left. I want to be able to transfer my Pokémon over
You can't fit Pokemon X and one of Sun/Moon on a single 4GB card, sadly. You could transfer all your Pokemon from X to the Bank, delete X from your 3DS, and then purchase Sun/Moon, but that's too much of hassle, specially if you ever want to go back to X.

It's better that you buy a large SD Card and stop worrying about deleting stuff altogether.

For comparison:

Code:
Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 1024 kb
Pokemon Silver/Gold: 2048 kb
So double the size.

Code:
Pokemon XY: 13,801
Pokemon SM: 26,214
Which gives us ~1.9 times the size of the previous game.

Just to remind you, Pokemon GS added way more colours, over 100 pokemon, and an entirely new region ON TOP OF the old region.

This is massive.
Hype levels starting to rise.

dandonnan

Neo Member
Realistically a good portion of that will be because of the new features like Poké Pelago and Festival Plaza. Although those alone probably wouldn't account for the extra ~1GB.

I doubt there'd be another region, or any significant post-game content. But I hope I'm wrong.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The tax of leaving the chibi models i guess?

I know (hope) this is a joke, but just in case

Chibi /= less polys. Going in that direction usually means rounder shapes which means more polygons.

The biggest space hog in games are always audio (spoken dialog) and video (cutscenes), so those are the first two things I would look at

Akai__

I'm all for it, if it means we get more content. Really hope it's not an other X/Y scenario...

Btw... This block nonsense needs to die on the 3DS. Why even come up with such a stupid system and not use GB/MB/etc.?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Yeah, definitely go physical on this one.

Going back to Kalos would be cool, but I kinda doubt it. I think the more likely culprit is all of those Z-moves adding what are basically a ton of cutscenes to the game.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Good lord....

I'm a long time gamer, to see a handheld game at that size, particularly Game Boy's successor, is just stunning.

Hmm, DS is Game Boy's successor. 3DS is further advanced from there.

While that's quite large, we've been seeing games on 4 GB cards since Resident Evil: Revelations over 4 and a half years ago.

It might be the first non-ported JRPG of that size of 3DS though.

I'm going to be the killjoy and state that a return to an older region wouldn't be nearly as sweet as GS because I've had more memorable bowel movements than Kalos is a memorable game overworld.

Vex_

Banned
yeaaa Im just gonna assume it is this big because of the higher quality meshes and textures. Nothing more.

I doubt there is like a second half of the game waiting for you like in Dragon's Dogma or Symphony of the night....

....but I wouldnt mind being surprised. Just not gonna hype myself up anymore.

Maybe Iwata was still the only one who knew how to properly compress these games up through ORAS?

Going back to Kalos would be cool, but I kinda doubt it. I think the more likely culprit is all of those Z-moves adding what are basically a ton of cutscenes to the game.
Ooh I like this theory.

Kyzer

Banned
Considering that the game looks totally different than XY graphically it could easily be nothing. Will keep my hopes low

So...if it turns out there's minimal post game content, can we reason that Game Freak have no idea how to compress the size of the game? This happened with GS didn't it? And Iwata fixed it and that was the whole reason they were able to put Kanto in, right?

Regardless, that's pretty interesting that it's so big... glad Im getting the physical version.

KarmaCow

This game is hitting all the right marks right now...

Please don't disappoint like recent Pokemon games though.

Yea I'm still tempted to get this despite bouncing off Black/White and X/Y. Probably going to wait to see the impressions though.

Kyzer

Banned
So...if it turns out there's minimal post game content, can we reason that Game Freak have no idea how to compress the size of the game? This happened with GS didn't it? And Iwata fixed it and that was the whole reason they were able to put Kanto in, right?

Regardless, that's pretty interesting that it's so big... glad Im getting the physical version.

I don't think it's fair to bring up something that happened almost 20 years ago for a sequel that was planned before Pokemon even became popular to figure out if they can compress games at game freak or not

Top Bottom