• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun and Moon worldwide initial shipments top 10 million

Rymuth

dRRJQHV.gif

Already reserved 3 copies here (for myself and my nephews)

SlickVic

Not suprising. Expecting it to sell gangbusters. I tried pre-ordering from Amazon last week and couldn't get release date delivery; wonder if they already sold through their entire pre-release stock (managed to get it on BestBuy.com so it's all good).

Syntsui

That will barely cover Christmas sales, this will sell close to 20m when all is said and done. All hail the almighty.

ggx2ac

Nintendo weren't kidding when they said it was their most pre-ordered game ever.

10 million... At launch. Its budget probably doesn't even compare to western AAA games.

I didn't care about Sun/Moon after the awful reveal. The trailers since then have been amazing and the new direction they're taking is exciting. I didn't expect to be down for another generation but I am and I'm more excited for this game than any other Pokemon game. Got Moon Version preloaded on my 3DS! Let's go!

Also after going through the leaked soundtrack on YouTube I'm convinced this is the best soundtrack in the series. Holy crap.

Piichan

Banned
So is this a huge difference compared to other Pokemon launches? Can we attribute this to the Pokemon Go craze?

Veitsev

Congratulations on them selling 10 million copies to retailers.

Nintendo is highly conservative with manufacturing. Look at Amiibos and the Nes Classic. Their conservatism caused Ocarina of Time 3ds, Star Fox 3D and a bunch of 3DS, Wii, and Wii U games to become hard to find for awhile before much needed reprints. They aren't going to just ship out 10 million copies of a game without feeling highly confident in sales/preorders.

Veitsev

So is this a huge difference compared to other Pokemon launches? Can we attribute this to the Pokemon Go craze?

Partially.

Also have to look at the how stale the series has gotten. They have basically been selling largely the same game since Red/Blue and this is the first to really change a lot of key elements.

That's it? Pokémon is doomed. To put things into perspective, there are around 7 billion people in the world. That's only 0.14285714285714285% of the population. Fail.

I feel like we should be more shocked, 10 million shipped for an exclusive is huge, few other games get this kind of volume in their entire lifespan.

I mean I know it's Pokemon but this is a handheld game in a time where handhelds are apparently dead.

UberTag

If the SKUs weren't inevitably going to be split for illogical reasons by NPD, I'd dare say it could challenge Call of Duty for the overall sales winner spot in November.

ggx2ac

That's it? Pokémon is doomed. To put things into perspective, there are around 7 billion people in the world. That's only 0.14285714285714285% of the population. Fail.

Not sure if sarcasm. Cites 1/7 as answer.
10 million divided by 7 billion is 1/700.

I wonder how much of a bump Pokémon Go will give to Sun and Moon's sales numbers. If it surpasses X and Y I will be legit shook.

I wonder how much of a bump Pokémon Go will give to Sun and Moon's sales numbers. If it surpasses X and Y I will be legit shook.

It's possible, but I'm setting my expectations to somewhere in the 14 millions. If the rumored GameFreak Switch Pokemon game next year is a port of Sun and Moon and not a sequel or third version then it's going to pass XY for sure.

Not suprising. Expecting it to sell gangbusters. I tried pre-ordering from Amazon last week and couldn't get release date delivery; wonder if they already sold through their entire pre-release stock (managed to get it on BestBuy.com so it's all good).
I preordered eons ago and they still haven't given me release day shipping. Hell, they aren't even giving me 2-day shipping despite it being marked as such. My listed arrival date is Tuesday.

I'm kind of super pissed about but I won't cancel because the 20% discount and $30 of gift cards.

oti

Banned
I would LOVE to know the budget for a mainline Pokémon game. There's a lot of content in these but the amount of money they must be making 0.0.

Mabufu

Banned
This make me realize how we will never get a matture Pokémon game. Makes me sad = (
But good for TPC I guess.

Top Bottom