• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun and Moon worldwide initial shipments top 10 million

I don't remember seeing this level of hype for a new Pokemon game since the franchise's golden days during the GBC era. Nothing during the GBA, DS or XY compares. What makes Sun and Moon different? It's just another Pokemon game that will sell well! What am I missing here? Is it the Pokemon Go effect? What gives?

viHuGi

Banned
I don't remember seeing this level of hype for a new Pokemon game since the franchise's golden days during the GBC era. Nothing during the GBA, DS or XY compares. What makes Sun and Moon different? It's just another Pokemon game that will sell well! What am I missing here? Is it the Pokemon Go effect? What gives?

Pokemon Go let old fans wanting more and the need to experience a new Great Pokemon game, this is their chance.

I know people who bought a 3Ds for this.

I bought moon on the 3ds eshop. I was considering playing it with an emulation once it's out because the 3ds resolution is likely crap and I want it crisp and sharp. But lord knows Im not playing on a keyboard ew. So I guess I'll have to deal with the resolution of the 3ds.

There was tons of hype for Pokemon during the DS days. DS sells were sky high, and hitting new highs every month. Pokemon was looming. BW definitely was hyped.

ASIS

That's it? Pokémon is doomed. To put things into perspective, there are around 7 billion people in the world. That's only 0.14285714285714285% of the population. Fail.

I'm not following. I think I need a pie chart to understand this correlation fully.

sZMiy9g.png
This is perfection.

On topic, Sun and Moon look like a complete overhaul of the Pokémon formula in just about every way while still retaining its traditions. I think it would've done extremely well even if Pokémon Go didn't take off. The fact that it did means we will expect insane numbers for this title.

Plum

Nintendo needs Eclipse for the Switch next year. Seeing as the models look like downscaled HD models I can definitely see this happening.

It is crazy though that Pokemon has been going on for so long with so much popularity. In a year with so many series going through sales slumps it's one of the only that hasn't.

Falchion

Nice! It seems like it's going to be a ton of fun, I got both versions from Amazon since they're like $8 cheaper with the Prime pre-order.

Scrawnton

I preordered mine digitally so if that 10mil is just physical then I can't even imagine how big the overal sales will be.

Pair this with that fantastic Black Friday 3DS deal and Pokémon will explode again.

ASIS

Nintendo needs Eclipse for the Switch next year. Seeing as the models look like downscaled HD models I can definitely see this happening.

It is crazy though that Pokemon has been going on for so long with so much popularity. In a year with so many series going through sales slumps it's one of the only that hasn't.
I think the only non- Nintendo franchise to rival it is probably GTA. Now I don't want to go into franchise wars but these two are really gems in the gaming industry.

Well there is the Pokemon Go trend going on and the 20th anniversary this year.

Giving S/M an extreme amount of hype.

MilShap

Playing GO is a huge reason why my wife wanted to try the main game this year. This will really only be my 3rd main Pokémon game. I played red when it was released, then nothing until X last year.

Tom_Cody

Still imo it will be a missed opprtunity if they dont make a version of this one that's already developed. A main pokemon in the first year would be huge.

Well Sound like Pokemon Eclipse ;)
In hindsight Eclipse seems so obvious now that you've said it. I guess we can hope it actually exists as a Switch title.

takriel

Transfer effect is in full force. My girlfriend played GO, uninstalled it, never looked back, and now plays the real games for the first time.

Game is going to be 'aaaarrrddd. Pokemon Co./Nintendo are still morons for delaying it in Europe though. Still don't understand what purpose that serves. At least it gives me time to finish off a couple of other titles.

Sephzilla

Yeah... between winter coming and Sun/Moon releasing I wonder how much of a massive dent this is going to cause to Pokemon Go

mrmickfran

This could possibly be the first time the later Pokémon generation outsells the previous Pokémon generation on one console.

Gold & Silver were nowhere near Red & Blue sales.

Black & White were close but still couldn't touch Diamond & Pearl

X & Y currently stands at 14 million.

This is why I'm not terribly concerned about Switch sales. Assuming it becomes the home for future mainline Pokemon games, I don't see how it can be a bomba. There is no stopping this franchise

This is why I'm not terribly concerned about Switch sales. Assuming it becomes the home for future mainline Pokemon games, I don't see how it can be a bomba. There is no stopping this franchise
At the very least, I think the Switch has a shot in Japan, especially with portable Splatoon.

This could possibly be the first time the later Pokémon generation outsells the previous Pokémon generation on one console.

Nah. 15.64m as of September 2016.

XY is actually at 15.64 million, 20k more than Black and White.

Top Bottom