• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

Battlechili

Banned
smallerbanneruisp6.png

Developer: Spike Chunsoft
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: 3DS
Genre: Roguelike RPG
Release date(s):
JP September 17, 2015
NA November 20, 2015
EU February 19, 2016
AUS February 20, 2016

descriptionz7seo.png

The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series has existed since 2005, with the release of Red/Blue Rescue Team for the Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS. Since then, numerous titles have been released in this semi-successful series, with the newest being Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. In these titles, you are a human that has been transformed into a Pokémon (Oh no!) and now, as a Pokémon you must travel through a series of randomly-generated dungeons in a classic roguelike style, each more difficult than the last, with the help of a Pokémon partner to help guide you through this new world. As you traverse dungeons, you may gain new Pokémon partners to help guide you on your journey and keep you alive as you traverse these dangerous dungeons. Unlike the mainline Pokémon games, these games are much harder and more story oriented than their mainline counterparts, however there are still some similarities to the mainline titles, such as the attacks you can use while going through dungeons and the names of berries you may find. It’s not just Mystery Dungeon but with Pokémon.

storyr7sve.png

There has been a sudden increase in reports of terrifying incidents, including Pokémon being turned into stone! Furthermore you have suddenly been turned into a Pokémon! Can you and your partner find out what's going on and put a stop to it? It seems that a Legendary Pokémon is somehow involved...

gameplayqzspm.png

As stated above the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series consists of roguelike RPGs and this game is no exception. This makes for tile-based randomly-generated dungeons and turn-based battles, with each step or move taking a single turn. Dungeons will consist of many floors. Unlike a lot of other roguelikes there’s no permanent death in this series however, so there’s no need to worry about that. Together with your partner and other Pokémon you befriend throughout your journey you will explore lots of dungeons (surprise!), usually in a mission-based manner, defeat enemy Pokémon, befriend some of those, and collect precious items along the way. Watch out for traps though! These dungeons can get perilous. If you and all your Pokémon faint in a dungeon you will lose part of your items and money.

Using a feature called Wonder Mail, you will be able to unlock in-game items and even additional dungeons. Some of these dungeons can’t be unlocked in any other way! You can receive Wonder Mail by using special codes or by scanning a QR Code.
Not all is lost if you faint in a dungeon. By using the infrared feature on your 3DS or by sending out a code you can ask another player to help you. If they are able to reach you you’ll be able to continue without any penalty.

Good luck explorers!

playablemongisfr.png

pokemonlotcms40.png

Through a personality test or by your own choice you can be Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Chikorita, Totodile, Torchic, Treecko, Mudkip, Chimchar, Turtwig, Piplup, Tepig, Snivy, Oshawott, Fennekin, Chespin, Froakie, Riolu, and Pikachu. Basically, any of the starters plus Riolu and Pikachu. This applies to your partner as well, as they can be any Pokémon you can be, as long as they aren't the same type as you. So you can't be a fire type while your partner is also a fire type, for instance. Although starting out that way would probably be a bad idea anyways.
Also, its worth noting that in post-game you can switch out with any team member and play ANY Pokemon. But until then, even if you have non-starter, non Riolu/Pikachu party members, you can't personally play as them until after you beat the game.

faqwpsfz.png

Q: So what, I'm a Pokémon now? How did that happen?
A: That's part of the story. You'll have to find that out for yourself.

Q: What Pokémon are recruitable to be a part of my journey?
A: All of them! As of Super Mystery Dungeon, you can recruit any and all 720 currently existing Pokémon!

Q: What about evolving? I will evolve like in normal Pokémon games, right?
A: Actually, you can't evolve until after you've beaten the game and have made it to post game. Don't worry, there are story reasons for this, but even so that shouldn't deter you. Even as a starter you can still be pretty powerful in combat.

Q: Is this game hard? Roguelikes are known for their difficulty aren’t they?
A: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have difficult parts for sure, especially post-game, but compared to a lot of other roguelikes I think you’ll find this game to be quite manageable for the most part. Just be sure to stock up on items and don’t be afraid to use them and you should be fine.

screenshots36s97.png

june_p07_01sqjp0.jpg

june_p05_01yjkc9.jpg

june_p06_0627jdi.jpg

june_p04_06c9jx7.jpg

july_p10_02d2kre.jpg

june_p07_07m9km7.jpg

otherkrsgy.png

Official Website
Official Trailer
GAF’s very own Pokémon Community Thread
Wonder Mail passwords on Serebii.net

Thanks to Scarl for the banner and images and general help with making the OT.

Vena

This game is really good so far, I am at the Summer Vacation chapter.

It is absolutely adorable.

Cody_D165

Banned
I actually really want to pick this up after seeing the most recent direct. Haven't played a mystery dungeon title since Blue Rescue Team.

Any solid reviews yet?

I'm kinda annoyed it is out February here. Because another game that came out in NA about 7 months before its release in EU comes out in Feb.

Either way I can at least read this thread and wait for impressions. I dodged the last one on 3DS because I heard it wasn't that good but this one sounds promising. Having all the Pokémon currently is something. I really like the first 2 PMD games.

Battlechili

Banned
I hope this OT is acceptable for now. I'll be updating it when more resources come in and based on what you guys think I should add. This is my first time doing this.
I actually really want to pick this up after seeing the most recent direct. Haven't played a mystery dungeon title since Blue Rescue Team.
Same actually! Red Rescue Team was my first and only title in the series, but after all the hype and news about this one I decided I just had to get it. It looks SOOOO good, and there's even some resources and references to the original games in this one.

For instance, there's a remix for Great Canyon from Red/Blue Rescue Team in this.

Zalman

I can never trust reviews when it comes to Mystery Dungeon games. That's why I, as a European who has to wait for a couple of months, would love to hear GAF's impressions and how it compares to previous games. I really liked Explorers of Sky.

I hope this OT is acceptable for now. I'll be updating it when more resources come in and based on what you guys think I should add. This is my first time doing this.Same actually! Red Rescue Team was my first and only title in the series, but after all the hype and news about this one I decided I just had to get it. It looks SOOOO good, and there's even some resources and references to the original games in this one.

For instance, there's a remix for Great Canyon from Red/Blue Rescue Team in this.
Oh woah, this brought back memories of me playing this game at night under my duvet. I think I had blue because I had a DS but my sister had red because she still had her GBA.

Vena

Any solid reviews yet?

I think, from the pre-OT thread, everyone who's picked it up has been largely positive/glowing. I was very pleasantly surprised by this title.

Also, unlike EOMD, its been optimized well and doesn't drop frames when running.

Syril

Oh, I didn't realize this was coming out here the same time as Japan. I was going to play Gates to Infinity first, but forget that. Even though I was looking forward to playing as an Axew.

fernoca

Oh, I didn't realize this was coming out here the same time as Japan. I was going to play Gates to Infinity first, but forget that. Even though I was looking forward to playing as an Axew.
???
Came out in Japan in September. NA got it 2 days ago, the rest will get it February 2016.

I really like it so far. Though the camera is pulled back and makes it closer to the original games, to accomodate the bigger Pokémon I guess. Liked the closer camera in Gates as it reminded me of PokéPark 2.

Still, looks great.

Battlechili

Banned
Never played a PMD game before. What are the basic strategies I need to know?
Two important strategies from personal experience I can recommend are:
Don't let party members waste Reviver Seeds. If you're going into a particularly difficult dungeon or on a tough mission, don't take weak party members with you, or else they might eat up your resources and hinder your progress or make boss battles harder. Sometimes its honestly better if an extra party member faints and is kicked out of a dungeon than it is to let them use up Reviver Seeds, as they are used automatically when you faint.

Also, don't let a partner or other team member get too far away from you. Generally this shouldn't be a problem, but under certain specific situations, such as when a member is confused, you might find yourself moving away from your other team members, and this leaves them vulnerable, because while you have some control over the AI through IQ settings, they still act on their own and they aren't as smart as you in combat. Plus just being on their own makes them easier to strike down than in a group. So make sure your teammates are always close to you.

Grexeno

Two important strategies from personal experience I can recommend are:
Don't let party members waste Reviver Seeds. If you're going into a particularly difficult dungeon or on a tough mission, don't take weak party members with you, or else they might eat up your resources and hinder your progress or make boss battles harder. Sometimes its honestly better if an extra party member faints and is kicked out of a dungeon than it is to let them use up Reviver Seeds, as they are used automatically when you faint.

Also, don't let a partner or other team member get too far away from you. Generally this shouldn't be a problem, but under certain specific situations, such as when a member is confused, you might find yourself moving away from your other team members, and this leaves them vulnerable, because while you have some control over the AI through IQ settings, they still act on their own and they aren't as smart as you in combat. Plus just being on their own makes them easier to strike down than in a group. So make sure your teammates are always close to you.
Sweet.

Which items in this game are worth my time and which ones generally aren't?

Will start playing this game this Tuesday. Very happy to hear the difficulty in this game is good. Will be my first PMD game since Red Rescue Team as well. Still haven't decided on a starter yet though. Water pokemon can walker through water, right? Do any other types get a good bonus like that, besides flying? Like is magma prevalent and can fire types walk through it?

Edit: Also, can you change your leader to your partner in dungeons while still going through the story?

Kinsei

Banned
Glad to finally have an OT!

Sweet.

Which items in this game are worth my time and which ones generally aren't?

Always bring a decent stock of apples (you have a hunger gauge and they refill it), and elixirs (they restore PP), a few small reviver seeds, and an oran berry or two for health restoration during a boss. I usually don't use any items that affect enemies.

Will start playing this game this Tuesday. Very happy to hear the difficulty in this game is good. Will be my first PMD game since Red Rescue Team as well. Still haven't decided on a starter yet though. Water pokemon can walker through water, right? Do any other types get a good bonus like that, besides flying? Like is magma prevalent and can fire types walk through it?

Edit: Also, can you change your leader to your partner in dungeons while still going through the story?

Regarding your edit: Yes. You can also change to any Pokemon you have recruited.

JoeM86

I have a high disadain for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (seriously, the mechanics...ergh) but this game is definitely up there among the best of them. Fantastic story, fantastic presentation, amazing music. Mechanics are still iffy and there's weird difficulty spikes throughout, but yeah they did well here, especially after the last two games being the bottom of the Dungeon pile.

I did like that they removed the grind from the game. No random chances of getting the Pokémon. That's both good and bad, good that it means you don't have to spend 18 billion hours to get all 720 Pokémon, but bad in that it does hamper the longevity, especially when missions are tied to getting Pokémon.

The mechanics where you get KO'd in two steps in a dungeon are still total bull, though.

Seil

Never played a PMD game before. What are the basic strategies I need to know?

Don't be afraid to use items. Super Mystery Dungeon definitely encourages their use. You'll get lots of Wands especially and they can make difficult encounters much more manageable. The apparently infamous Salamence encounter, for example, was really easy for me just using a Confuse Wand, since it can one-hit you, better to have it potentially swinging at random places =p Putting it to sleep etc can work too. Lots of wands for different effects.

Wii Tank

For anyone on the fence, this is more of a return to form for the series. I wasn't very fond of Gates to Infinity compared to Explorers of Sky. Visually, the game is very pretty and the 3D is great. I'm also enjoying the character writing a lot, and there are tons of nods and throwbacks to the previous games in the series. The connections system is downright addicting as well which makes it really fun to recruit new members and explore the overworlds and continents.

The only downside I'd have to give from what I've played is the level distribution for the Pokemon you recruit. Early on you're given a mission to fight a Pokemon that can be quite difficult to defeat as it is many levels above your team. If you defeat it though, you recruit it and suddenly you have a level 50 Pokemon you can bring into dungeons with you compared to your ~level 15 starters. To me it kind of breaks the flow of the game, but it's entirely optional to bring these Pokemon with you, so you can always choose to ignore them like I did. Sometimes though you'll do a mission and get blindsided from a powerful Pokemon and it almost seems like the game is telling you to bring one of these OP guys with you, which I don't really want to do. So there are odd difficulty spikes here and there, but nothing outrageous.

I definitely recommend the game though, it's been excellent so far

I hope this OT is acceptable for now. I'll be updating it when more resources come in and based on what you guys think I should add. This is my first time doing this.Same actually! Red Rescue Team was my first and only title in the series, but after all the hype and news about this one I decided I just had to get it. It looks SOOOO good, and there's even some resources and references to the original games in this one.

Oh dammmnnn the nostalgia. That takes me back.

Battlechili

Banned
Would this game be good for someone who is a fan of the Pokémon series but has never played a Mystery Dungeon title?
That's how I started with them, so I think it'd be fine. There are plenty of similarities to normal Pokemon games in it, but, just to be safe, how do you feel about rogeulikes and dungeon crawlers?

Elija2

Also, unlike EOMD, its been optimized well and doesn't drop frames when running.

Are you playing it on a New 3DS or an Old 3DS?

Also, can anyone who has played both tell me what the differences are between Etrian Mystery Dungeon and this game?

Yomidi

Is this similiar to Explorers of the Sky?
I really liked the characters and the story of EotS but I wasn't a fan of the gameplay, so I'm a bit torn on this one.

Battlechili

Banned
There is like zero buzz for this game. Can't even find a review from any of the major sites. Wtf?
Historically, most websites have never been too thrilled about the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. I've never really understood why; the games aren't perfect, but I don't think they're nearly as bad as the sites let on. Still, I think as a result of that most websites don't pay the series much mind, which is why Super Mystery Dungeon is being largely ignored.

Is this similiar to Explorers of the Sky?
I really liked the characters and the story of EotS but I wasn't a fan of the gameplay, so I'm a bit torn on this one.
So far I am the exact opposite for this game. The game play is really solid, but story is weak so far 6 hours in.
If you like dungeon crawlers, this is a good one.

Nice thread. I've been an on and off Pokemon fan for years, but when it comes to the games I've always preferred the Mystery Dungeon series to the main ones. Blue Rescue Team was a stellar surprise with addictive gameplay, appealing graphics, nice soundtrack and one of the only stories in a game i've ever cared about. Explorer's of Sky had twice the content and one-upped it in nearly every way (except the story). Gates to Infinity on the other hand was a massive disappointment to me. It was slow, confusing and lost some of the charm of the old games. I still haven't even finished it.

This game is better than Gates, right? My 3DS has been gathering dust for a couple years now, so I'd love to get back into the series.

Thanks for putting together this OT!

I'm not very far; just got to Chapter 5. My partner Riolu is adorable, but my God, I am the derpiest-looking Squirtle. :(

Macka

I pre-ordered this months ago through Play-Asia, and they don't even have stock yet. They did this with Omega Ruby as well. Like, what's even the point of pre-ordering? I cancelled my order and am now on the fence over whether or not I should download it from the eShop or wait for more feedback on the game first.

Reception seems kinda mixed at the moment tbh.

Vena

So do your pokemon evolve in this or do you just "recruit" big guys? I've not reached evolution levels yet so I don't know but I am curious if it happens.

Pau

I've never played the Mystery Dungeon games but have always been interested and this looks adorable. There's no continuity between the games and I should be fine just jumping in, correct?

L95

I've played until finding
Entei turned to stone
, I like it a lot more than Gates so far.

Thank goodness for faster text speed. (Or, at least, I remember Gates' text being really slow.)

I've never played the Mystery Dungeon games but have always been interested and this looks adorable. There's no continuity between the games and I should be fine just jumping in, correct?

This game actually has a ton of small references to past games (ex: a dsukull mentions running a bank, which there was a duskull bank in the very firs MD games) but I haven't run across anything important.

Battlechili

Banned
So do your pokemon evolve in this or do you just "recruit" big guys? I've not reached evolution levels yet so I don't know but I am curious if it happens.
I addressed this but basically you can't evolve Pokemon until after you beat the game and make it to post-game.

Pokemaniac

It seems to be the standard "no evolution until-post game" deal. Though Serebii has a rather large list of Pokemon that you're not allowed to evolve. I assume that this has to do with the fact that a lot of the Pokemon that you recruit are also standard NPCs.

Vena

I addressed this but basically you can't evolve Pokemon until after you beat the game and make it to post-game.

:(

Oh well. To post game I will survive with my Mudkip, Charmander,and Ralts! Still find it funny that these first-stage pokemon are beating up Poliwraths and such.

Kinsei

Banned

Something that you should add is that you might not want to evolve any Pokemon other than your starter and partner. I can't verify myself yet, but I've heard you only get one of each (Minus forms, as I know there are multiple Unknowns) so if you evolve a Zorua it will be impossible to get another Zorua.

Until someone on GAF reaches the point where you can evolves and tests it for us, we should be cautious.

Rules say you can't make an OT until like a couple days before launch or something, game's not out until February...

Goddamn it NoE, why?!

Top Bottom