• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

Joqu

Happy to help on the OT. I'm really looking forward on playing this, too bad I gotta wait until the European release.

Have fun guys!

Good to see the OT is finally made. Thanks, OP!

Reached the credits last night with a little less than 27 hours and I'm astounded at how so much of an improvement this is compared to GTI. I couldn't stop to put the game down since its gameplay has become so much more enjoyable, probably even better than what Sky gave. It has difficulty spikes that make it overall harder than any other PMD game (one dungeon and expedition in particular are already notorious for this), but the game encourages you to plan better and bring Wands/Orbs.
While Connection Orbs mean there are no randomized jobs, I feel like it's for the better since completing expeditions rewards you with multiple Pokemon.
The 3D models seem to look so much better here than in GTI, and while the main plot kicks off quite slow (kinda like the other games, bad things take effect in the background while you and your partner are doing other things), it seems to make up for it by the second half of the game.
I totally didn't have tears at the Epilogue.

Overall, I'd say it's just as good as Sky if not better since it fixed the many issues that GTI had and introduced some features that make it so much more deep.

On another note, I liked the little detail about your partner in the chapter about ghosts. Instead of walking alongside you in the overworld, they get right behind you instead and if you dash far enough from them (and assuming you have them on-screen), they'll stop in their tracks and look around all worried and immediately run back to you once you're in their range. It's small yet nifty to see.

Good to see the OT is finally made. Thanks, OP!

On another note, I liked the little detail about your partner in the chapter about ghosts. Instead of walking alongside you in the overworld, they get right behind you instead and if you dash far enough from them (and assuming you have them on-screen), they'll stop in their tracks and look around all worried and immediately run back to you once you're in their range. It's small yet nifty to see.

Wow, that sounds amazing, love little details like that. I asked this earlier, but are water and flying pokemon the only ones that get neat quirks of walking on barriers like water? Or is there a prevalence of magma that fire types can weak on, or anything else? This might make the difference between for who I choose for my starter since I can't decide between like four of them lol.

Two more days till I can play it, in the mean time I have to do this essay D:

Seil

Wow, that sounds amazing, love little details like that. I asked this earlier, but are water and flying pokemon the only ones that get neat quirks of walking on barriers like water? Or is there a prevalence of magma that fire types can weak on, or anything else? This might make the difference between for who I choose for my starter since I can't decide between like four of them lol.

Two more days till I can play it, in the mean time I have to do this essay D:

Some ghosts should be able to walk through walls. But that has no effect on your starter lol.

Joqu

This game is better than Gates, right? My 3DS has been gathering dust for a couple years now, so I'd love to get back into the series.

Bit late here but everything I've heard about this one makes it sound like it's a big improvement over Gates, yeah.

Seil

Alright what the actual fuck.

How do I not get hit by fucking Razor Wind.

Using an Oran Berry can boost your max HP for the dungeon which can help survive it. Shutting the Pokemon down with a wand or orb is also a really good way to handle it lol. The first time I encountered it I think I survived by dumb luck.

It has difficulty spikes that make it overall harder than any other PMD game (one dungeon and expedition in particular are already notorious for this), but the game encourages you to plan better and bring Wands/Orbs.
Yeah,
Vulpix kept dying to Salamence but I had plenty of seeds

Hugstable

Banned
Do these games have a decent challenge or do they tend to be more on the easy side? Never played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game before, but I've been playing on my 3DS recently and thinking about maybe picking it up

Kinsei

Banned
Do these games have a decent challenge or do they tend to be more on the easy side? Never played a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game before, but I've been playing on my 3DS recently and thinking about maybe picking it up

All of them except Gates to Infinity are a good challenge. I think this one may be the toughest yet.

It is really easy in the first 4 hours, but once you get the team mechanics, the game gets challenging.

Yeah,
Vulpix kept dying to Salamence but I had plenty of seeds
It's quite bizarre how that is one of the first few expeditions and it's pretty much the one that will open up so many more Connection Orb requests. If it weren't for Wands being introduced and common to find, this game would have been a true hair puller.

To be honest, I never had an instance where I decided "I should grind a bit to make things easier for myself" whenever the story needed me to go to the next dungeon, I apparently just had to stock myself with the right equipment (and be lucky enough to not run into the worst things possible), especially a few Tiny Reviver Seeds.

Sora_N

How's this compared to the past Pokemon Dungeon game (Gate to Infinity iirc)?

I enjoyed what I played of that.

probably getting this, this week on thursday
can you skip dialogue? i don't really care about the stories in the dungeon series, (or any relating pokemon games, really...), or at least speed the dialogue up/options to? I hated it in gates of infinity took forever for text to scroll

Seil

probably getting this, this week on thursday
can you skip dialogue? i don't really care about the stories in the dungeon series, (or any relating pokemon games, really...), or at least speed the dialogue up/options to? I hated it in gates of infinity took forever for text to scroll

You can hold B to speed through conversations.

Was hoping for a bit bigger list of starters, but I'll go with Totodile. I usually go for grass but he's a fucking crocodile Pokemon.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I always freak out when I get those string of Dungeons in these games where you basically have no way to shop or grind, but now I realize in this one you can chill at Pelliper Island and transfer items over.

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting about that and how it can help you in the main game.

Also, Official Super Mystery Dungeon Shit List

* Helilolisk with Razor Wind
* Drifloon's Acrobatics + double Gust
* Onix (dammit this guy is tougher than he ever was in the main games)
* Anything with Disable

HomesIice

I've played until finding
Entei turned to stone
, I like it a lot more than Gates so far.

Thank goodness for faster text speed. (Or, at least, I remember Gates' text being really slow.)

Came in here just to ask about this. Phew!

I always freak out when I get those string of Dungeons in these games where you basically have no way to shop or grind, but now I realize in this one you can chill at Pelliper Island and transfer items over.

I feel like a lot of people are forgetting about that and how it can help you in the main game.

Also, Official Super Mystery Dungeon Shit List

* Helilolisk with Razor Wind
* Drifloon's Acrobatics + double Gust
* Onix (dammit this guy is tougher than he ever was in the main games)
* Anything with Disable

I would like to add to this list:
  • Mienshaos with Aura Sphere
  • Anything with Bug Bite or Incinerate
Both of which because they just straight cost revival seeds.

Seil

A quick tip, though I feel it should be pretty obvious, always check out the moves available from Hawlucha. A lot of Pokemon you'll recruit will have better moves that are locked away. Like, for some reason having Mega Drain when they have Giga Drain available for example lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
A quick tip, though I feel it should be pretty obvious, always check out the moves available from Hawlucha. A lot of Pokemon you'll recruit will have better moves that are locked away. Like, for some reason having Mega Drain when they have Giga Drain available for example lol.

Yeah, it seems every Pokemon has their STAB moves locked like that. :>

Does anyone use stat buffs in this game? It seems like you wanna just go with all attack moves for the most part---especially since PP is more important than ever since your default attack is nerfed. I remember in the old Mystery Dungeons it was vital to use that attack on most foes, with the Moves basically being finishers and for opponent's who posed an immediate threat, but here the only purpose of the default attack seems to be to draw your opponent closer.

Really considering picking this up. I haven't played a Mystery Dungeon game apart from the demo to Gates of Infinity. I didn't care much for it, but this one looks a lot better, and I haven't bought a single 3DS game this year so I'm kinda itching for anything to play on it.

And just being able to play as best-starter-ever aka Totodile is a bit of a selling point. :p

Joqu

Does anyone use stat buffs in this game? It seems like you wanna just go with all attack moves for the most part---especially since PP is more important than ever since your default attack is nerfed. I remember in the old Mystery Dungeons it was vital to use that attack on most foes, with the Moves basically being finishers and for opponent's who posed an immediate threat, but here the only purpose of the default attack seems to be to draw your opponent closer.

I can't comment on Super yet (gotta wait until February ;_;) but I remember carrying Double Team on my Pikachu in past games and using it a lot against bosses. I don't know if other people like doing that but I felt like it made the tougher fights way easier.

I also feel like keeping status moves around makes sense so you can use them once in a while instead of the default attack when you're drawing your opponent closer? Maybe not in this one if PP is that important now.

I've trudged through the game with Treecko and Totodile but I didn't get any Agility yet like I did for previous games, so I had only attack moves and used buff/debuff items. It made enemies and bosses a non-problem, although I heard Speed is far different here due to GTI having Speed as a stat now.

I always enjoy the stories in these games, even if it seems that are just trying to get you emotional.

Do anyone of these games have actual fully happy ending?

Teknoman

I have a high disadain for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (seriously, the mechanics...ergh) but this game is definitely up there among the best of them. Fantastic story, fantastic presentation, amazing music. Mechanics are still iffy and there's weird difficulty spikes throughout, but yeah they did well here, especially after the last two games being the bottom of the Dungeon pile.

I did like that they removed the grind from the game. No random chances of getting the Pokémon. That's both good and bad, good that it means you don't have to spend 18 billion hours to get all 720 Pokémon, but bad in that it does hamper the longevity, especially when missions are tied to getting Pokémon.

The mechanics where you get KO'd in two steps in a dungeon are still total bull, though.

Who composes for the mystery dungeon games? That guitar boss theme version is insane!

Pokemaniac

I always enjoy the stories in these games, even if it seems that are just trying to get you emotional.

Do anyone of these games have actual fully happy ending?

Depends on your definition of fully happy ending, as well as if
we're including post-game content.

Crayolan

Nice to see that someone actually made an OT.

I won't be able to play for quite a while but I'm happy to hear that impressions are good, I loved Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky, so having another game close to that would be great.

Did the developers forget Wigglytuff's gender? That's obviously the guildmaster from Explorers and it was a guy but in this game he is now a she?

L95

Did the developers forget Wigglytuff's gender? That's obviously the guildmaster from Explorers and it was a guy but in this game he is now a she?

Could be a localization error, perhaps?

(...Unless you're playing the Japanese version, I shouldn't assume, hehe.)

Huh, so I wasn't misremembering the basic attack being way stronger way back in Red rescue team.

Top Bottom