• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

Joqu

I just finished Chapter 5 (with the honey). It was absolutely adorable. The game in general is, I'm really enjoying the school setting. I already know I'm gonna miss these characters once I'm done with the game and I have barely started. ;_;

The production values are really impressing me too. Probably because I haven't played much of Gates, but I sure don't remember the series being like this from the DS games!

I finally understand why people love Espurr, these games always change how I look at certain Pokémon.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeons are always amazing for stuff like that. I don't think I would care much for Kecleon or Chatot for example without them.

Anime is great for that too of course, but I haven't watched it in a long time. So for me this is the first time I get to really grow attached to gen 5 and 6 Pokemon. It's great.

Joqu

By the way, I found a post on gbatemp covering all the EU wondermail codes. I won't use them anytime soon but I'm glad they're out there. There are some exclusive dungeons tied to them.

I haven't played this game, but the other two definitely made me appreciate certain Pokémon more. It's one of my favorite things about the Mystery Dungeon series.

I actually grew fond of Wigglytuff because of this series. It's pretty cool how it does that.

ZeroX03

Banned
Caved in and bought it. A few chapters in and this game is really fun. Clearly a big step up from Gates to Infinity.

Got Totodile and Tepig from the quiz.

also

Banned
So far so good; looks nice and the setting and story have been fine so far. The new gameplay mechanics (leveling up moves, collecting temporary power ups) are good additions to the established formula and I'm glad it's easier to befriend Pokemon now; ''catching'' them all actually seems possible this time around. The wands seem a bit too OP, though.

The only complaint I have is the camera in the dungeons; I wish there was a bird's eye view and that it was a bit more zoomed out.

BTW, do your choices affect the story? If you pick the ''rude/mean' option, the game will give you a few lines of dialogue and then endlessly loop until you select the ''nice'' answer. However, early on I told my partner that they could be annoying at times and then they acted distant for a few days. Would picking the other option have changed the outcome?

ZeroX03

Banned
So far so good; looks nice and the setting and story have been fine so far. The new gameplay mechanics (leveling up moves, collecting temporary power ups) are good additions to the established formula and I'm glad it's easier to befriend Pokemon now; ''catching'' them all actually seems possible this time around. The wands seem a bit too OP, though.

The only complaint I have is the camera in the dungeons; I wish there was a bird's eye view and that it was a bit more zoomed out.

BTW, do your choices affect the story? If you pick the ''rude/mean' option, the game will give you a few lines of dialogue and then endlessly loop until you select the ''nice'' answer. However, early on I told my partner that they could be annoying at times and they acted distant for a few days. Would picking the other option have changed the outcome?

I told my partner they weren't annoying and they still acted distant for a few days. Seems that choices don't affect anything thankfully.

Joqu

If there's one thing I don't like so far it's the whole befriending really OP Pokemon and based on the difficulty being expected to use them on certain missions aspect of things. I know there's a cooldown after using them but I've been getting so many of them that it really doesn't matter so far.

also

Banned
I wanted to say that game is easy due to the OP items but then I made a stupid mistake and died in chapter 8 and lost all my progress :/
If there's one thing I don't like so far it's the whole befriending really OP Pokemon and based on the difficulty being expected to use them on certain missions aspect of things. I know there's a cooldown after using them but I've been getting so many of them that it really doesn't matter so far.

The only really OP one I've encountered so far is the lv. 50
Salamence
. All the others have been ~2 levels above mine, if that.

Joqu

I wanted to say that game is easy due to the OP items but then I made a stupid mistake and died in chapter 8 and lost all my progress :/

Salamence

I'm not quite as far as you so maybe you've caught up but I've got some that are 8 levels above mine, plus that level 50. In past PMD games (except for Gates maybe? I really don't know) you couldn't recruit Pokemon of a higher level than you period and I do prefer that.

WPS

I'm not quite as far as you so maybe you've caught up but I've got some that are 8 levels above mine, plus that level 50. In past PMD games (except for Gates maybe? I really don't know) you couldn't recruit Pokemon of a higher level than you period and I do prefer that.

It does seem weird that they throw so many high levelled pokémon at you even from early on. I guess its balanced out by the fact they don't get to come on story missions with you.

Am I allowed to post rescue requests in this thread? I got my ass kicked and the only person I know IRL with the game is several hours away from reaching the dungeon.

Edit: Wait, I can rescue myself?

And use my level 50s to do it?

welp

Battlechili

Banned
It does seem weird that they throw so many high levelled pokémon at you even from early on. I guess its balanced out by the fact they don't get to come on story missions with you.

Am I allowed to post rescue requests in this thread? I got my ass kicked and the only person I know IRL with the game is several hours away from reaching the dungeon.

Edit: Wait, I can rescue myself?

And use my level 50s to do it?

welp
You'd be surprised how in late game rescuing yourself isn't easy even with those OP Pokemon. I failed to rescue myself a few too many times, haha

Hard

Banned
Just hit Chapter 21. I swear, it might be a little slow at first (one of my friends dropped it for Fates), but when the story takes off, it really takes off. The story is equal parts touching and funny. The
Expedition Society
all have great personality, Charmander's
small realizations about life
give him and my MC great character depth, and Espurr's
deadpan attitude
toward events (especially when things get hot and heavy) is hilarious. Probably going to be the first game I've actually finished in a long time.

Salamence

The game does the
Level 50 cheese
to teach you to be using plenty of items and moves early on. This isn't like Sky where you could get away with using lower power, higher budget abilities.

also

Banned
Been slowly making my way through; I'm in chapter 14 now. I've been using Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Rotom and haven't had to resort to cheesing with high level Pokemon yet.

The mystery dungeon spin-offs and the anime really make you realize how poor the main games are at portraying Pokemon beyond their visual design. Aside from legendary and rare Pokemon, most can be reduced to battle slaves with different appearances. And it's not just about Pokemon having personalities, the MD games actually showcase their unique abilities and incorporate them in the story.
uGV523P.jpg

A Pokedex entry, which you might not even read if you evolve the Pokemon instead of catching it, is just not the same as talking to the Pokemon itself.

Rafavert

Hey, guys.

I finished the main story
and epilogue
and am preparing myself for the post-game. I have a question, though:

Does evolution makes any difference? Taking a very concrete example:

Cubone is pretty much identical to Marowak in everything but stats. Same abilities, same type, same(?) moveset. Would it be worth it to evolve it, or would the end product be pretty much the same? Cuz I'll be damned, I love Cubone!

So, aside from typing/moveset/abilities, is evolution worth the trouble?

Also:

Any tips to face the larger dungeons? I played the GBA and DS games, but truth be told, I never made it through a 100 floor dungeon.

Battlechili

Banned
Hey, guys.

and epilogue

Cubone is pretty much identical to Marowak in everything but stats. Same abilities, same type, same(?) moveset. Would it be worth it to evolve it, or would the end product be pretty much the same? Cuz I'll be damned, I love Cubone!

Also:

Any tips to face the larger dungeons? I played the GBA and DS games, but truth be told, I never made it through a 100 floor dungeon.
I don't think you should bother evolving any of your Pokemon since you can recruit every Pokemon anyways. Plus for Mystery Dungeon games, you and your partner are in a way, characters, and in PMD games it often feels like they're not the same character once they evolve. I wouldn't bother with evolving and instead just focus on recruiting those same Pokemon.
As for larger dungeons, just bring lots of reviver seeds and large apples. Maybe a couple of save machines. Make sure the Pokemon you bring with you are of an adequate level for those dungeons.

Jay RaR

Hey, guys.

and epilogue

Also:

As far as I know evolution really doesn't make a difference unless your Pokemon learn a move exclusively when they evolve (in my case my partner Charmander couldn't learn Heat Wave unless it evolved to Charizard). I'm not sure if STAB takes into account into this game, but I evolved my Chespin to Chesnaught anyway for any extra Fighting power.

If I could give advice on Post-game, just stick with your character and partner if you beefed them up with vitamins. Or if you didn't and have oodles of gold bars to spend, DON'T SPEND THEM until you explore a certain dungeon
that contains a certain treasure that increases your level by 5. Once you obtained one, the Cofagrigus shop should sell one for 35 bars a pop I think.
Alternatively you could use those vitamins to pump up a legendary or a powerful Pokemon but its your choice really.

Use Pokemon that have moves that attack the entire room or long range. I had a Charizard + Chesnaught so I used a Earthquake + Heat Wave combo to knock out everything and anything in my way. I always try to bring Pokemon like Zapdos, Ampharos, or Mewtwo that have high Special Attack and use Discharge or Blizzard for any extra damage.

One trick I've learned from the Internet is using a Warp Looplet and scouting with other Pokemon. Like 1 Poke would warp from room to room to find the stairs while me and another Poke travel around to fill the map. Saves time, PP, and Hunger that way.

For the 100th floor dungeon, I only brought my Chesnaught and Charizard but my Chesnaught died 1/5 of the way there and I solo'd the dungeon with just Charizard with
my beefed up vitamins in Special Attack, Defenses, and Speed and was about level 85ish I think
. Did it all in 1 go, also of course bring plenty of Reviver Seeds and Save Points + (I brought 2).

This was my first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game and I completed 100% (which took a lot of time and effort lol).

Joqu

I generally don't like to evolve the two main characters. I guess it's better now that everyone has a portrait but back in Red Rescue Team they didn't if you evolved them and it completely sucked the personality out of them. It's still something I don't like doing ever since that.

But PMD games tend to have that problem in their post-game in general. It was sort of weird how the first two games completely dumped your main characters once you were done with the story, portraits or not. I don't know yet if this one's better in that regard though.

I generally don't like to evolve the two main characters. I guess it's better now that everyone has a portrait but back in Red Rescue Team they didn't if you evolved them and it completely sucked the personality out of them. It's still something I don't like doing ever since that.

But PMD games tend to have that problem in their post-game in general. It was sort of weird how the first two games completely dumped your main characters once you were done with the story, portraits or not. I don't know yet if this one's better in that regard though.
One thing I can give props towards Super is that evolving actually doesn't update your stats this time, so you could 100% the game with the buffed main characters like I did. Only thing you miss out from not evolving would be Moves, Abilities(?), and Type Change. That's probably Chunsoft wanting people to actually be able to handle post-game without evolving their characters.

Rafavert

Thanks for the tips =)

I noticed the lack of stats raised. My (main) Squirtle has pretty much identical stats to a Blastoise. This is a great chance to stick to favourites, regardless of whether they're fully evolved or not.

Btw, where's the item that
increases level by 5?
Gotta get my greedy mitts on that!

Jay RaR

tbh I didn't want to evolve both my Pokemon but I wanted to get everything ASAP so I was bum rushing through the postgame getting all the treasures and beating all the legendaries. :\

Thanks for the tips =)

I noticed the lack of stats raised. My (main) Squirtle has pretty much identical stats to a Blastoise. This is a great chance to stick to favourites, regardless of whether they're fully evolved or not.

Btw, where's the item that
increases level by 5?
Gotta get my greedy mitts on that!

You're welcome! :)

If you must know, the item is
the Golden Banana which is found in the dungeon Fossil Excavation. It's 15 floors iirc so it shouldn't be too hard.

I believe you have to beat Regigigas, then do Diancie's mission to unlock this dungeon.

Good luck! ;)

Rafavert

tbh I didn't want to evolve both my Pokemon but I wanted to get everything ASAP so I was bum rushing through the postgame getting all the treasures and beating all the legendaries. :\

You're welcome! :)

If you must know, the item is
the Golden Banana which is found in the dungeon Fossil Excavation. It's 15 floors iirc so it shouldn't be too hard.

I believe you have to beat Regigigas, then do Diancie's mission to unlock this dungeon.

Good luck! ;)

Awesome. Thanks!

Btw, I really like how this game features characters from previous games. Loved meeting the Explorers of the Sky teams all again.

Rafavert

It was Hydreigon for me back in GtI. Best dragon back then! :)

A lot of Pokémon look and feel so much better when they land themselves in PMD or the anime.

For me it's probably Wigglytuff.

Never imagined I'd see it as... well, downright creepy, really.
But I only realized the guildmaster back in Explorers was female in this game.

And Espurr friggin rocks. This game has quite a few twists, but Espurr is the only one that truly tricks us left and right.

For me it's probably Wigglytuff.

Never imagined I'd see it as... well, downright creepy, really.
But I only realized the guildmaster back in Explorers was female in this game.

And Espurr friggin rocks. This game has quite a few twists, but Espurr is the only one that truly tricks us left and right.
That's apparently a typo they left in. The Guildmaster is supposed to be male.

Rafavert

That's apparently a typo they left in. The Guildmaster is supposed to be male.

Misleading information =< he's still awesome, though.

EDIT: Btw, thanks for the tips! Just got the Bananas! Was getting tired of grinding a select few just for them to be on par with the rest levelwise.

Well, I finished the main story. I knew the ending tearjerker was going to happen. IT STILL WORKED. FOURTH FUCKING TIME, CHUNSOFT, WHY DO YOU MAKE ME CRY.

Also, the final stretch from
the reveal on Revelation Mountain
onwards makes up for the awkward pacing before that. I honestly think the main story should've had more time post-Serene Village to develop, but oh well. But the final stretch ramps up like crazy, it gets absolutely insane, practically Gurren Lagann levels of crazy, and I love it to death. And it was good for
Dark Matter
to actually have a personality unlike the previous game's final boss,
the way it starts freaking out and losing it from unable to comprehend why the protagonists and everyone else are simply refusing to give up and its bewilderment and then the "blink and you'll miss it" expression of gratitude when the partner actually accepts it is absolutely wonderful.
It also helps that, unlike Infinity's final boss, it actually IS a proper boss fight that actually takes advantage of the grid-based nature of the game to actually force the player to use a bit of strategy in order to actually beat it. Not much, mind you, but it was a nice touch.

Also, I find it funny that Riolu and Fennekin happens to be the most popular player/partner combo (or vice-versa), because that's what I picked, and I swear, I had no idea. I just like Riolu/Lucario, and when it came to choosing my partner, I just figured Fennekin would compliment my player character nicely. Turns out Fennekin fits the partner perfectly, so I can't really complain.

... Bloody hell, why aren't these guys writing the plots of the main games?!

I know I'm pretty late to this, but I just started this the other day. So far the story is somewhat interesting, I just finished the field trip. I am wondering if I should keep going though. The gameplay is amazingly boring, and I find the dungeons very dull. Does the gameplay get better or is this it?

Battlechili

Banned
I know I'm pretty late to this, but I just started this the other day. So far the story is somewhat interesting, I just finished the field trip. I am wondering if I should keep going though. The gameplay is amazingly boring, and I find the dungeons very dull. Does the gameplay get better or is this it?
The gameplay becomes more free and less tutorial-y, but it doesn't get much better. Just slightly harder. But if you've already figured out how and when to best utilize items to beat stronger Pokemon and get out of sticky situations, then its not going to grow, change, or develop much. Some of the dungeons get more varied randomized paths with weirder floor configurations though.

I'm surprised you find the story interesting though; the plot doesn't seriously get rolling until after you leave the village.

Top Bottom